Sign in to follow this  
lNTRUDER

P&C BETA first impressions

What do you guys think so far?

Naturally I haven't played more than 10 minutes yet, but I must say the game LOOKS AND FEELS AMAZING!

It's great flying the Mantas and driving the Walrus vehicles is a blast.

The weapons, overall graphics, lighting, sounds (and music) are all very nicely done.

Very interesting to see a BIS game outside of the RV engine as well.

Good job BIS!!

It's time for some more in depth testing now :)

/ ]NTRUDER

I hopped into the main menu and it seems like there's a lot of mouse acceleration as the mouse feels really clunky.

is there a way to turn it off?

Same for me :)

Btw, for those who don't read things, still there's a Manual folder in the game installation directory.

But what I'm seeing so far is awesome!

I agree the atmosphere is excelent. I havent yet just learned how to play any good. :D But very good impressions so far. Reminds some bit of the Battlezone games.

Edit: Yes, the mouse movement is weird for me too.

I hopped into the main menu and it seems like there's a lot of mouse acceleration as the mouse feels really clunky.

is there a way to turn it off?

Could you try lowering your graphics details? I recommend to start with postprocess.

Only 10 minutes in, the learning curve is quite steep (the manual in the installation folder is useful) and there is cleary a fair bit more work to go, but my initial impressions are really very positive :bounce3:, I love what BIS have done so far. The atmosphere is fantastic and the gameplay is very enjoyable. This game has a lot of potential, if BIS keep doing what they're doing Carrier Command is going to be one heck of a good game :D

BTW I've also found the mouse action to be oddly weighted in the main menu- the menu is still perfectly usable however, so no biggie.

Edited by SW1

moved to Styx, got into a fight with the other carrier .. game crashed had to CTRL+AL+DEL out.

System: Apple imac i7, dual boot win 7, 8gb ram, ATI 6970 2gb gfx card

Had one crash until yet.

It took a while til i understood how to use the map and to play it more strtegic, but now I'm fine with it.

It's much faster than the old one. But it's fun.

How do you build a command centre on the neutral island of Styx? I took one of my vehicles to the island with a mining construct but no idea how to deploy it as yet.

How you can capture empty island and the locations (radar, ammo, other)? How to build command center? I have walruses with different capsules on island, but dont know what to do with them. :S

Edit: Slow me :)

Edit2: Now I found it - construction capsule is needed to build the command center to where the old ruins are.

Edited by SaOk

Played for about 10 mins so far. Launched a manta, enjoyed shooting the guns, then jumped into carrier and used all the weapons. Then PC froze...... and away we go again.

Sunk the APA carrier. That was an interesting battle, looks like I killed its engines on the first pass ...

into my first game, captured Styx, then promptly bumped into the enemy carrier at my front-line defence island (I stopped to gear up for my first island assault) both damaged each other quite heavily before he pulled away to the edge of the island. I retreated to the opposite side...I'm now stuck in a stalemate, The enemy carrier has yet to make a move while I wait for any supplies that might even touch a carrier.

The game and it's environment are amazing!

notes for dev's:

The mouse, again, also took a while to get used to but it's something I'm adapting to rather quickly. AI pathfinding needs a small bit of tweaking especially with minute movements (the AI simply doesn't have enough time to manoeuvre before the route plotting systems attempts to compensate). it feels like the island setup right now forces Carrier versus carrier confrontation a little too quickly. and the inability to travel while hostile units are nearby is an issue...

I'm surprised you cannot click a target to engage an attack order, or am I missing something?

Edited by dingbat91

How do you build a command centre on the neutral island of Styx? I took one of my vehicles to the island with a mining construct but no idea how to deploy it as yet.

There should be a waypoint on neutral islands guiding to where the command center is supposed to be. Go near the wreckage and when this "crane hook" icon appears press USE (F) key.

Construction "shield" will appear in shape of Command Center.

It takes a while to build so no point in waiting ...just dock back to carrier and sail to another island

OH MY GOD!

After so many years, I get to play Carrier Command again! This time with better graphics :)

I used to play CC on my Amstrad 6128 with my brother, and you can imagine how this feels! Especially while I haven't played for a while (I have lost the manual of the old game, so I couldn't start the game... the DRM of the old days :P)

I will play a while and give you my impressions :)

I do think the island setup right now forces Carrier versus carrier confrontation a little too quickly.

Beta world has only 9 islands which indeed makes encountering enemy carrier more probable than it would in full game.

Btw the island positions are random, so each game island setup varies.

Btw the island positions are random, so each game island setup varies.

awesome! didn't know that yet (still in my stalemate)

quick question: is that position & supply connections and is the amount of neutral islands random as well?

Positions, types of islandsand supply connections - yes, these are random.

Amount of neutral islands is fixed to 1 in beta. In full it will be customizable in strategy game startup.

Could you try lowering your graphics details? I recommend to start with postprocess.

Hey Johny,

removing post processing made the mouse more responsive (FPS went from 48 to 65 in the main menu), but the mouse still has an "acceleration" feeling to it. I'd rather the mouse not be like that if possible. Most PC games these days have the ability to choose how much mouse smoothing/acceleration we want, maybe look into that feature?

Not made it past the titles and credits so far, just when you though Skyrim had the most epic sound track ever. <3

Glad I opted for the version with addition soundtrack.

Oh and Triple monitor straight out of the box, how about you guys at BIS give Bethesda a phone and tell them how to do it.

Nice work.

Edited by Liquidpinky

Very first impressions.

Graphics are good. In special the dynamic weather, time of day and the sun shaft effects are excellent.

The game have a slightly blurry look, I don't like it. It seems like temporal AA or a slight DoF or something like that, and it can't be turn off.

Performance is nice, around 35-45 fps, some times more. But it falls by a lot when you are in the carrier/map screen and you have a PiP of a vehicle, rendering 2 things at the same time is giving them problems. Something they have to improve.

The mouse movement is the menus is horrible. A combination of mouse acc. and laggy mouse.

The pathfinding done by AI is ok, but they don't speed up as much as they should, as a human can do.

I have seen some different weapons already, like a laser, a cannon, a quad light cannon (good against air?) and some kind of mortar.

There is a bit of aim assist, but it's useful in air dogfights.

The map could have a bit more of help. Say, put a label when you point at some structure saying wtf is.

I don't have any fucking idea I am doing in the game. Like, seriously. I have to read the manual.

Only played for about 30 mins before the game crashed and my first impression was...

"What the hell is going on and what the hell am I supposed to be doing...."

Graphics and atmosphere are nice though and glad I paid some dosh and will keep trying to figure out what I am doing and how to kill something so I can get close to an island...

Only played for about 30 mins before the game crashed and my first impression was...

Graphics and atmosphere are nice though and glad I paid some dosh and will keep trying to figure out what I am doing and how to kill something so I can get close to an island...

I may have been lucky but my carrier could park next to an island and only got attacked once...the deck guns did a good job...

It sounds to me like they have perfectly captured the learning curve of CC 1988. :D

There is a manual in the game installation folder with simple walk-through, which might help.

In the full game there is a story based tutorial which basically walks you through all the features as you progress through the game.