Sign in to follow this  
Intezar

How to improve the Close Quarter Combat experience in Arma 3?

Indoors combat was a forgotten aspect in Arma 2.

If the game could improve in how the game handles object physics and if it could randomly decorate buildings to not make everything look like empty shells it would feel even more realistic.

A buildling could be a snipers nest or a solid bunker if fortified with sandbags or traps, a really valuable asset to any fighting force trying to defend a position or simply hide from a superior force for as long as possible.

Arma seems to do open generic territories very well and it is very cool to walk around in a big world and not feel limited in how you approach a location.

Indoors, you do feel cramped and awkward because the controls and movement of the soldiers don't seem to fit well with the narrow spacing of a door or in between furniture. A click-to-cover or click-to-peek-around corner sounds like a good idea. Also a peek through window button would help a lot if you're using the building as a defensive structure.

How can Arma improve and become almost an FPS shooter in the way it handles firefights in-doors, I mean I want to feel the intensity and competitiveness of two parties fighting - and not have the outcome decided by a glitch or who could win by using the camera to get the right angle to spot someone sneaking around inside.

Uh, I like your post, but wrong choice of words (I expect flamers to be here soon). But yeah, you're right. I mean, it shouldn't be like an FPS shooter, but when you clear a room, it should be just as seamless as in real life.

There's quite a few things... they can do to improve it. Collision detection, automatic movement of weapon to 'fit' inside a door, buildings modelled for better geometry therefore less clipping/character getting stuck, less of a lean on not such a big angle, ability to swap weapon hands, smooth transition and reload animations, ability to transition while moving, fluid animations, ability to get closer to each other or objects for a stack, vaulting through windows or over walls, smaller destructable parts of a building for breach points, multiple buildings with different shaped rooms and interconnecting rooms, basements and attics, improved and accurate grenade system quite like AA2/3, AI scripts such as mixed stances not just instant prone upon CQB, the AI using lean, waiting in door ambush (CQB module teehee), etc.

I think it is a very important too.

Auto Quote hehe :P

Probably suggested:

"CQB COOP" MP mode.

It would focus on urban areas with many buildings or building high enough where you could go to practice CQB tactics. In short, especially indoors.

I wish I could combine MOUT and CQB tactics in arma3, indoors movements smoothly, and also the AI ​​will behave appropriately in the interiors of buildings.

There's quite a few things... they can do to improve it. Collision detection, automatic movement of weapon to 'fit' inside a door, buildings modelled for better geometry therefore less clipping/character getting stuck, less of a lean on not such a big angle, ability to swap weapon hands, smooth transition and reload animations, ability to transition while moving, fluid animations, ability to get closer to each other or objects for a stack, vaulting through windows or over walls, smaller destructable parts of a building for breach points, multiple buildings with different shaped rooms and interconnecting rooms, basements and attics, improved and accurate grenade system quite like AA2/3, AI scripts such as mixed stances not just instant prone upon CQB, the AI using lean, waiting in door ambush (CQB module teehee), etc.

Americas Army 2 sure, Americas Army 3 was too arcadey and poorly done by the new team.

I'm an avid lover of CQB/Urban combat, still waiting on ArmA to deliver the goods. The movement as has been posted is supposedly fluid/will be soon so hopefully they'll in the next decade put more emphasis on cities/allowing us to do CQB. Fighting at 400M isn't very fun when your targets the size of a marble compared to fighting for control over a door/hall.

Hey, I don't want to wait till ArmA4 or 5 to do CQB. I want to be able to do CQB in ArmA3. They should put the fluid animations to use and deliver a well-overdue CQB experience as well as distance combat.

Its going to be very tough to get this type of AI (free world roaming) to be able to deal with humans in buildings. For instance, last night was Co-OP'ing with a few players against hoards of enemy AI that were trying to capture our city. Outside, every step was potentially deadly but when I finally holed up in a Zargabad house, I was literally able to take out 30-40 AI by myself. They would approach the house like lemmings always to die while approaching or passing the door and have no ability to lob a grenade, peek windows or doorframe to maybe take me out.

What I'm thinking the problem is - is that first off, the AI don't really have an awareness of a 'house' there by have no accompyaning AI subroutine behaviour to go into effect when a known enemy is inside. Maybe they have some sort of House Position# routine but what if player is in a dead space between them? We need an AI mesh that covers the entirety of all enterable structures letting the AI 'know' that an enemy is inside and thereby allowing it to go into a new type of behaviour ie.. peek windows/peek door/if no friendlies are known to be inside then lob grenade etc..

Another issue was them approaching the outside door space but not having their gun oriented to the inside but off to the side rather. This is a big no no and always cost them their lives. Proper orientation and breaching protocol need to be in effect.

Great post froggyluv. I have my fair share of stories too... Hopefully BIS will take notice. They could make it really superb for CQB. :) It's half way there, I'm starting to enjoy it a hell of a lot more since OA and the patches.

Anyone here remember this ancient game

KtLARnkz2_Y

The graphics, animations and quality of gameplay was very primitive compared to todays games but I would like to see something like this in Arma.

vklOq6KFQy4

just include this mod by default as you did with shacktac hud. PROFIT

That mod is very glitchy, half the animations clip through walls. But seriously for a milsim the movement is very limited in ArmA, why can't I hop either.

That mod is very glitchy, half the animations clip through walls. But seriously for a milsim the movement is very limited in ArmA, why can't I hop either.

Clipping through walls - the most annoying thing the AI do, especially when they shoot at you.

why can't I hop either.

Why would you want to?

so I can look over a wall for half a second, so I can run and jump across things, so I can run and jump into cover etc? Hopping also looks better then goose stepping onto a higher object.

Also BF3's climb over or onto a short object needs to be implemented to smooth out movement, its also realistic. You would not goose step in a heated battle.

The only thing BIS can't seem to do in their game is realistic character movement, moving in arma2 feels like being a fat man that can sprint really long distances.

Edited by zamani532

The only thing BIS can't seem to do in their game is realistic character movement, moving in arma2 feels like being a fat man that can sprint really long distances.

Number one priority for improving character movement in Arma3 should be the 'mortar loaders cartwheel'. We want realism!

otu5C9U2-xk&context=C49665d2ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWMxX7Jna6wRmFovYP-R3g=

CQB done right seems so complex (mainly the AI) that I will not be so sad if it will not be in ArmA3. However I'd really like to see early expansion specifically made to show off new CQB features probably not tied to the previous stories. Some simple story would be enough (eg. terrorists, russians, hostages, nuclear bomb, whatever-f*ck-you :P). Something like "ToH: Hinds". I'm pretty sure that good & _REALISTIC_ CQB would make even better reviews and attract more players (Xbox 720 version maybe? You mad LOL :D)

Edited by batto

one_man_clan that's a great idea. I would buy a CQC expansion in a heartbeat.

Number one priority for improving character movement in Arma3 should be the 'mortar loaders cartwheel'. We want realism!

otu5C9U2-xk&context=C49665d2ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWMxX7Jna6wRmFovYP-R3g=

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! That was so funny! Please BIS y u no give us all the things!

I think the ai is really lacking when it comes to buildings. They don’t react fast enough, they don’t seem to fire and move, and they are unaware of nearby buildings and the possible danger each one represents.

For a start, The ai should react much faster the closer you are to them. At far range it doesn’t matter if the ai take a few seconds to turn and aim at you but in close quarters it simply won’t work. Basically the time the ai takes to line up shots should be dependant

on the distance the target is away from them. Far shot means they take longer to shoot, close quartes means they shoot as soon as possible. Hopefully new animation will also help to make ai reactions look more human.

Secondly, if the target is close enough, the ai need to try to move and shoot at the same time instead of stop, go prone and shoot. This is vital for room clearing. Adding upon that, in urban combat, or even in longrange combat the ai needs to make more use of the crouched stance.

Lastly I think it would be great if openings in building (windows and doors) were defined to the ai. This way if the ai thinks there are enemy in a building they will suppress the building by firing into the windows and doors. And if the ai is in the building they might be able to position themselves near windows and doors so they can shoot out as well.

I think that these things would make the ai better at clearing out houses and more effective at defending buildings.

As far as the player goes, I think smoother animations would help. I am actually fine with the clunkiness of running because running with 50+ pounds on you is actually pretty hard, but when it comes to walking movement needs to be more precise. Leaning could also be improved and you should be able to quickly rest weapons on walls and ledges to avoid waiting at a window sill, lining up a shot and hitting the ledge of the window instead of the target.

Definitely BIS-our guys (slurp-slurp :cool: ) must do something

better to simulate the Close quarters fighting.

Years now the system is..(how to say..) Clumsy (the least)..

I m speaking for my countless hours of PvP experience.

Now what matters about A.I. ..

What others said above..

just include this mod by default as you did with shacktac hud. PROFIT

I love many of those, like the sniper crouch.

I think we run into a problem with controls. As illustrated by the sheer number of "Press x+ press y", we need more intuitive method of performing those moves. Maybe switching between urban/outdoor sets of moves (where roll in outdoors would be replaced by urban prone in urban mode).

Watching the video gave me a headache. There is too much of it and there is no logic to how keys were assigned.

Anyone here remember this ancient game

KtLARnkz2_Y

The graphics, animations and quality of gameplay was very primitive compared to todays games but I would like to see something like this in Arma.

Yes, I would like to see this too. Another great example is Swat 4, great tactical game and good AI.But is a very complex work make it

so I can look over a wall for half a second, so I can run and jump across things, so I can run and jump into cover etc? Hopping also looks better then goose stepping onto a higher object.

Also BF3's climb over or onto a short object needs to be implemented to smooth out movement, its also realistic. You would not goose step in a heated battle.

Try hopping and jumping like spiderman in the real world while carrying 100 lbs of equipment, including ammo, batteries, water, sidearms, web vest, body armour, gps, compass, weapons cleaning kit, tools, light, radio, marking panel, lights, MREs, helmet etc not to mention your weapon. Maybe jumping could be added at the cost of shedding some of your gear.

Edited by MissionCreep