Sign in to follow this  
cleggy

British Ridgback Protected Patrol Vehicle

@Wooden: Really nice. The mudding looks more like sandblasting of the armour (I'd defer to the BI Abrams/T-xx on mudsplash-textures), but it's hard to argue with such simple and neat textures. Will you in the future contemplate easy field variants like command vehicles (set of extra radials) or possibly add the option to open the rear? The latter is a lot to ask for, but I can't help myself in this thread. =)

Edited by SCAJolly
c

Thanks for the comments.

Can you plz make a version for the usmc/army

Sorry, I'm strictly a UK fanboi and I just don't have the time.

If anyones interested in having a go I can make the MLODs available without all the British business on it?

Not sure how accurate it will look stripped down though.:p

looks similar - don't know if the same

Wait, ain't this the one you looking for?

Completly different vehicles, gents. My model isn't that inaccurate!

The mudding looks more like sandblasting of the armour

Well, it can get preeeety windy on Chenarus ... Still, 3 out of ten for texturing ... needs work.:)

Will you in the future contemplate easy field variants with option to open the rear

Variants, possibly. Rear door, less likely at the moment. One of the reasons being is that the cage armour is already an awful lot of points/polys and I don't want to complicate the model anymore for fear of performance issues.

Hey man,

I have been waiting for the Mastiff for so long now that I reverted to playing JCOVE Lite for a while, just so I could drive it. To me, the Ridgeback is just as good, and after playing around with it, I am in love. I like heavy feeling vehicles, and to me, your Ridgeback feels like a weighty, armoured piece of wrath on wheels, and I think it handles like a dream.

Also, I am a 3D Modeller myself, and understand most aspects of building 3D Objects, and I have to say that this is one of the finest pieces I have ever seen portrayed in a game. No matter how many times I look at the vehicle, it still makes me wonder if some hyper advanced 3D Scanning software was used, and for that, I dub the a grand master.

However, I have found one problem, (unless its not supposed to be a problem). When driving from the cockpit view, the bonnet seems to be a dark grey for me, and looking at some of the video's posted up on the topic here, from the 16AA guys, it would seem that I am not the only one. I didn't see anybody else flagging it up, and though its only a minor thing, I just thought I would tell you. On the same note, I found driving into places that should cast shadow over the vehicle, such as hangers and warehouses, removed the effect, and thus the bonnet it lit up, while everything is in shadow, but again, this is only in the first person cockpit view, and not on the driving camera, or the third person model.

Thanks again for the mod, buddy, its truly awesome! :)

Glowbal:

Variants, does that mean different weapon systems?

Maybe, Glowbal given enough time ... everyone will be migrating to ArmaIII soon and that will be a whole new challenge!

Wiggie: appreciate your enthusiasm mate, but it's not that blooming good! The advanced 3D Scanning software cost me an arm and a leg btw.:)

Thanks for the feedback regarding the bonnet - will look at that - I've probably done sumfink stoopid.

I'm working on an update at the moment with various tweaks and tucks so hopefully it will get sorted.

Cheers

Sorry for bumping this... Hows the new update on going? :) As you see my current unit (UKSF) are kindly waiting for this amazing up coming update :) As we enjoy using this Ridgeback in CQC rather than the Jackal :D Due of its disadvantage in CQC :P

Hi brightness -Thanks for the interest - I don't mind you bumping the thread - not sure about the Mods tho'!

I have made what I think are some improvments to the base model - better offroad/onroad performance, extra LODs etc.

but then I got a bit distracted while tinkering!

I decided to have a go at some custom damage handling and now it's more 'resistant' to some of the stock BIS weaponry

mines, low-level rpgs and BAF IEDs. Seems to work quite well regarding crew survivability.

I then had another of my 'brilliant' ideas which is what I'm absorbed with at the moment. As this might turn out to be 'crap'

and potentially unworkable I'm not gonna give any details!

Also I'm not happy with the 'woodland' version yet - it needs more work but you never know I might get inspired ...

cheers

Model updated to v1.1

First post updated with changelog and new link

Added woodland version and some extra stuff ....

woodland.jpg

I see you snuck this out while the football was on

Looks great in green mate! I'll have to spend some time experimenting with the damage resistance stuff, but from what you described previously; it sounds good.

Thanks for the update. :)

Totaly our new Patrol vehicle of choice after the testing periode. Oh and a millionen kisses for the hiddenselection for textures.

Thanks for the mirror, Foxhound.

I see you snuck this out while the football was on

Yea, probably not the greatest marketing idea in the world...:)

and a millionen kisses for the hiddenselection for textures.

I say, steady on old boy! (We Brits speak like that all the time).

Regarding the re-texturing - if anyone does a pink version I may have to speak with my lawyers....

Regarding the re-texturing - if anyone does a pink version I may have to speak with my lawyers....

And take on the SAS?

Thanks for this beautiful work :)

Anyone can update this on SixUpdater?

Thanks Again.

Thanks for the mirror, Foxhound.

i was thinkin bout PONYS! loads of Ponys! - on a seriouse note, i will of course send you a preview version of the new textures applied for approval, i know how important it is for people to agree upon further creations to make sure the end-result is up to the expectations of the original creator.

(there will be a Pony version reguardless MUHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Thanks Sickboy - (I'm still finding Six Updater a bit overwhelming):butbut:

i will of course send you a preview version of the new textures applied for approval

Never quite know when fluttershy is joking! But just to be clear - my prior approval of any mess anyone makes of the textures is NOT required.:)

I would of course like to see some screenshots - mainly so I can steal some ideas ....

great addon, but is it possible that enemys wan´t engage the ridgeback with rpg´s ??? i tried it several times with vanilla ai and asr ai and they only start to shoot at it with rifles or mg´s... can someone confirm this?

Thanks for the mirror Old Bear:)

great addon, but is it possible that enemys wan´t engage the ridgeback with rpg´s ??? i tried it several times with vanilla ai and asr ai and they only start to shoot at it with rifles or mg´s... can someone confirm this?

Yes, this is quite true. Well spotted!

I like the effect of bulllets rattling of the side of the vehicle. To make sure the enemy engage with small arms I've used the 'crewvulnerable = true'

config entry. Unfortunately the side effect of this is that rpg soldiers will fruitlessly blaze away with their AKs rather than use the rpg. Annoying!:mad:

I've had to take away their AK ammo to get them to use the rpg. Anyone got a better idea? I don't want to stop infantry firing on the vehicle

because otherwise they just lie there waiting to be shot, which is boring....

Have you looked at the Bradleys config? I've been fired at by small arms as well as RPGs in that thing.