Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Micro Air Vehicle Addon

mav_logo.gif

This this is purely at the concept stage, but I put together a short video of something I've been working on tonight while taking a break from the Underwater Diving Module.

I made some good progress with controlling a baseball using setVelocity to raise it, lower it, and move it in almost any direction. This would be good for a micro-helicopter simulation or a small bug. I then had the idea of adding a camera to it, and that's when it occurred to me to try out the seagull (or crow). I wrote a script where I spawn a crow and throw it in whatever direction I'm looking. Once the crow is thrown, a looping script gets applied to the bird automatically which first gets my position and then goes to four waypoints around my position. This, of course, could be replaced with a map click at a later date, but it's just a proof of concept. I even ran around the airport and the birds all followed me.

Next I'll write into the code a retrieval of the bird where it returns to my position and lands. I figure it would be a lot easier to create a new model, make it a subclass of the seagull and go from there using the built-in AI of the seagull, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Now I have to learn how to attach a camera to the seagull or just be able to look though the seagull's default camera. cameraEffect, I guess.

IbKO5AHTaRA

Edited by Feint

Creepy as well!

you are now imagining the crow, replaced by little flying robots that make a permanent BZZZZZZ noise.

"during the night in takistan, a new species began his jouney, the micro-UAV.

with the sound of a bee, this UAV stalk his prey to explode near them, if you look right now, you can see the UAV staking one of his favorite prey : a takistani rebel.

the rebel seems confused and begin the fire with his AK, the fire alerted even more UAV, their BZZZZ sound became even more powerfull, now the prey is scared and begin to run in his house. The prey seems exhausted, but the UAVs try to crash his windows, we can ear the yells of the rebel from our place

*BAM*

there, the micro UAV hunt is over, they explode with their C4 charge in the rebel house, killing him and making a clear way for their best friend : the US special forces, more documentary at 12AM tomorrow"

It kind of reminded me of the Hitchcock horror film "The Birds". Never been able to look a pidgeon in the eye after that film!

Christ - it's like watching Hitchcock's THE BIRDS ! (shit, must learn to read the post above - ninja'd by over an hour! Nice Jedra !)

See - I told you that you needed another project :) Now if only someone turned their attention to firing from vehicles ;) OR what about proper Mechs!

EDIT: Anyone remember the HUNTERKILLERS from Dune? Those little flying syringes. Could be that :)

Nice work mate !

Test 02 of the Micro Air Vehicle concept. Here I launch the MAV, activate a second camera attached to the MAV, then recall and recover the MAV. Eventually I am going to have to figure out how to make a dialog and add one to the camera view. Then I could control the camera, the position of the MAV and close the camera on command. Right now, I have it set to end after 10 seconds or something.

FEdY-PDJ5DU

Oh, in the previous video at the top of the thread, I figure with a little scripting, I could throw an object and have all of the birds attack it. Then delete the object and have them return to normal flight loops. It would look like I was throwing out bird seed or something. I think it would be pretty cool.

Edited by Feint

Great idea! I had a similar concept long time ago, but never got the scripting part. When it helps i can make you an UAV (MAV or another).

PM me if you need some help with models. This kind of stuff would be awesome for Infantry combat. Maybe you should add some Noise for the bird-cam.

Dr. Grant: Amazing... uniform direction changes. Just like a flock of birds evading a predator.

Timmy: Uh, they're flocking this way...

Feint change crows to poppys or shit :D

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

realy good idea, to make a micro self-aimig uav with small explosion charges :)

Question for the audience:

Never mind. :) Figured it out.

Edited by Feint

OK, I have three questions:

1. setGroupIconsVisible [true,true] doesn't seem to work in a camera view like a cutscene camera. Does anyone know how to get groupIcons visible in a camera view (not on a minimap, but in the actual camera view similar to what is on the BIS UAV views)? I know the BIS UAVs are using a unit looking through a scope and that's how they do it. Because I'm using a cutscene camera, I'm hoping there's a way to superimpose those icons over the camera view. :) Anyone know?
  2. If I have the following script:
    _caller = _this select 1;

onMapSingleClick {

_caller setVariable ["nameOfVariable",something,true];

onMapSingleClick {};true;
    };

How do I get _caller = _this select 1 to be inside the scope of the onMapSingleClick?

3. Is there a way to call up a map while viewing a cutscene camera view? showMap true WANTS to work, but it doesn't. The screen flickers as if the map is trying to show, but it's almost as if it's stuck on a layer underneath the camera view or maybe the camera view is covering it up instantly. Is there a way to set the camera view to a certain layer of the UI and have the map above it? I know some of these problems could be solved by just attaching a unit to the MAV and using that as a camera, but I just don't want to do that. :)

tdNgjKV_4kk

Right now I'm using some elements from the BIS uav display, but I'd like to figure out how to make my own display and add some more info to it and get rid of the "locked" text on the sides.

Im loving the birds at the start.

Would there be a way to make them attack players and cause damage and all so take damage?.

I want to make a sandbox zombie type mission and want to have zombies and dogs that attack but birds would all so be a great enemy :) say a crow or some thing LOL

Baraka came through and made a great looking RQ-11 Raven model along with a monitor. Scientists are still working on some of the final details, but look out for a video soon showing this bird in flight.

MAV_scientists-01_LR.jpg

EDIT: Improved the normal map a little.

MAV_scientists-02_LR.jpg

Edited by Feint

Haha -great shot there. Something tells me you would make a masterpiece of a campaign *coughs*

Looks like cuts in the the Fiscal Budget caused those scientists to have to work outside instead of a sterile lab, lol. Great work Feint as always.

Haha. No, it's a first prototype flight test. They are just doing final tweaks to the balance of the airframe.

Does anyone want to design a nice display for this module? I'm currently using parts of the BIS UAV display, but it's not perfect. Ideally, I'd like something with red boxes over any units and vehicles similar to the Kestrel display here:

http://www.avinc.com/uas/kestrel/

Here's an example of the overlay on the real Raven display:

7TiIhq8L6Vs

Update video time. Here's a changelog:

• Added a strobe so you can find the Raven at night after landing
  • Changed around the addActions so that they are less obtrusive when not being used (the menu expands when a Raven is in flight).
  • Added colors and more clear wording to the addActions
  • Added more details to the normal maps for the Raven as well as the GCS
  • Raven no longer sinks into the ground after landing
  • Added an animation to hold the GCS when looking at the camera feed and angled the GCS so it looks like you are looking at it from 3rd person view
  • Changed minimum and maximum altitude limits for the Raven (10 meters to 150 meters)

FEATURES:

• Point and click auto flight
  • Auto landing (returns to GCS)
  • Accurate launching of the Raven using setVelocity to simulate throwing
  • Ability to launch the Raven while riding in vehicles
  • Ability to carry and drop Raven
  • Ability to assemble and disassemble Raven to and from a standalone backpack
  • Custom sounds for servos, engine noise and flight/landing complete indicator
  • Post-landing strobe light and beep for night retrieval of Raven
  • Ground Control System camera with realtime date stream:
    • Distance of Raven from GCS
    • Current Altitude ATL
    • Azimuth of camera (compass direction)
    • Current Date and Time
    • Mini-Map of GCS
    • Map marker tracking of GCS, Raven and Raven's target positions
    • Map marks can be made at Raven camera target position

K-JPZAFKv0c

Edited by Feint

Very nice! This is going to make an awesome addition to the game. Can't wait to see this thing in action during an operation!

Looks great! Can you take the Raven and the GCS with you in a backpack?