Sign in to follow this  
yarxie

Will ARMA3 feature realistic tank armor?

That's pretty awesome as far as helo damage goes, though does the entire hull explode if you accidentally trip over a tiny, itsy-bitsy rock with your landing gear during take-off?

I understand that if you clip a tree in ToH with your main rotor blades, the blades are out, while the hull remains intact, which isn't the bloody case in ArmA's hitpoint system.

I checked out the TOH demo, and although the physics are pretty good, at present the pilot is killed any time the helicopter rolls over on the ground, under any conditions. I'm hoping that this isn't the case in Arma 3, because it isn't realistic. While rolling a helicopter on the ground is indeed a very bad thing, I've seen many videos of hideous-looking helicopter mishaps (in reality) where the occupants were unharmed despite the appearance of it having been a fatal crash.

I checked out the TOH demo, and although the physics are pretty good, at present the pilot is killed any time the helicopter rolls over on the ground, under any conditions. I'm hoping that this isn't the case in Arma 3, because it isn't realistic. While rolling a helicopter on the ground is indeed a very bad thing, I've seen many videos of hideous-looking helicopter mishaps (in reality) where the occupants were unharmed despite the appearance of it having been a fatal crash.

Precisely. This has to do with the hitpoint system magically exploding the whole hull, be it a helicopter, or a flipped car (in earlier versions of ArmA). Proper physics are in order, and I would love to crash land a MH-60 full of marines without it actually exploding, albeit with several casualties (depending on the circumstances/altitude).

Same goes for armour: I want my tank be hit by a SABOT round, while I'm manning commander's position in an M1A2 and to be killed gloriously! (Without the tank exploding) Tis my dream. :cc:

No, I'm pretty sure it has to do with a gameplay mechanic that destroys upside-down helicopters.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread that is patently false with regards to how the hitpoint system works.

Then, we have been suffering from poor game mechanics since Armed Assault 1. Come PhysX, I'm sure people will appreciate the new (realistic) rigid body dynamics, whether they understand the current hitpoint system, or not.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread that is patently false with regards to how the hitpoint system works.

Such as?

In TOH, the rotors can indeed be destroyed separately of the aircraft, with the fuselage and pilot surviving. There is, unfortunately, as Max Powers mentioned, a rule in TOH that a pilot is killed upon being inverted on the ground, no matter what. It isn't, however, for the same reason that helicopters explode in the OpF/Arma series.

It isn't, however, for the same reason that helicopters explode in the OpF/Arma series.

It would appear the same rule operates in ArmA, as an upside-down helo will keep losing main hull HP until it explodes, even if not shot at.