Sign in to follow this  
yarxie

Will ARMA3 feature realistic tank armor?

In the video the explosion was triggered above the water. Does anyone have any information on what happpens in the case of a subsurface explosion?

@Booster: OMFG. Is BIS hidding its bigger guns?

EDIT: For those that didn´t bothered to look back:

At game developers session 2011 Bohemia Interactive showed a nice physx video of some APC's getting holes punched through them until they catch fire and a tank getting some equipment blown off the back of the turret. I wanted to film it on my phone but we weren't allowed to.
They showed a merkava tank crushing some cars also but I don't know if the tanks armor can be crushed because they only crashed the tank through some houses and over the cars, it would have been good to see what happens if they crashed the tank into another tank.
I can't think of any reason why they will suddenly drop the physx stuff it would be a waste not to use it now because it looks good. I don't know how armor on tanks will look when damaged but car panels just crushed beneath the tanks tracks and it made like a loud crunching noise so they should keep it. When the tank drove through the houses it looked nice because there was lots of smoke and some big chunks of wall falling but the chunks do dissapear when the smoke dissapears but it still looks real nice.
I thought they confirmed that they are using physx long ago so I didn't think this would be a surprise to anyone. They are using ragdoll too for injured and dead infantry and said physx takes into consideration stuff like weight and density and air resistance and gravity. they showed some infantry get shot when running and they fell down forwards in the direction they were running because of the momentum from running, its looks good I think people will like the ragdoll. you can make infantry limping if you shoot them in leg but i am going offtopic now.
I can tell you that it looks much better in arma 3 because the cars panels actually compress and crinkle when the tank track crushes them and the glass smashes in the windscreens and windows.
Not wind, but what he said was a explosion on land would have a different effect than a explosion in underwater environment.
I don't know but he said the explosion effect underwater will be different than explosion effect on land. They showed a video of infantry throwing grenades into some caves but it didn't show the explosion because it was inside the caves but the sound was good like a deep boom echoing out from the cave entrances.
Game developers session 2011 in Prague, not GDC. I'm an artist, it was invite only, and the presentation focused on new animation systems.
Not sure why all the hostility so Im not saying anymore until after E3

Oh my......

Edited by Smurf

OMFG. Is BIS hidding its bigger guns?

That's what it sounds like. Would be a dream come true. If it is true I wonder what else their holding back... Maybe there's hope for the AI.

Guess we won't find out until E3. I hope for Booster's sake that he is right.

I am interested to know what position this is. Did you miss a link?

Sorry I did not provide a link.

Discovery did not release that episode on their website or youtube but the here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2011_season)#Depth_Charge_Disaster

Basically if I remember correctly, they teach the seals to float at the surface(like if you were in a pool) with your butt deeper and your head and chest slightly raised a few inches out of the water, so only a small portion of your back is submerged.

In the Myth busters episode I think they found that if you lie like this even at 30 feet from the submerged explosion you still have a greater than 50% chance of surviving with no serious injury's.

I'm having a hard time believing Booster. It just sounds too good and I don't want to have my hopes crushed.

The way he's describing it makes me think of something like that:

To evolution from A2 to A3 would have been at warp speed.

Well, some of what he said is in the just posted VBS2 video (limping, physX for wounded....) but it doesn´t mean that will be in ARMA. I want to believe but is to (f***ing) good to be true.

The video you posted is really amazing. Next gen racing games should use something like that....

evolution from A2 to A3 would have been at warp speed.

If your already having trouble coming to terms with the new physx simulation and animation system then you will be rendered motionless in amazement with the AI improvements. A revolution is an understatement.

If your already having trouble coming to terms with the new physx simulation and animation system then you will be rendered motionless in amazement with the AI improvements. A revolution is an understatement.

Booster, my newly registered forum friend... I have exams on the 7'th of June, if you keep posting things like this you will give me white nights until then ;) The fact that BI is keeping their post count low on the matter is not helping either.

Damn you pre-scheduled press releases :D

Edited by Maio

Booster, my newly registered forum friend... I have exams on the 7'th of June, if you keep posting things like this you will give me white nights until then ;) The fact that BI is keeping their post counts low on the matter is not helping either.

Damn you pre-scheduled press releases :D

No pettka with devil smiley.... :whistle:

I'm having a hard time believing Booster. It just sounds too good and I don't want to have my hopes crushed.

The way he's describing it makes me think of something like that:

To evolution from A2 to A3 would have been at warp speed.

The physics in the video you posted are probably too advanced, but this applied to vehicles is probably possible in Arma 3 now that they're using PhysX:

P.S: Still no devs responding to Booster's claims? I wonder what that can mean... :rolleyes:

Here is what I found about the GDS:

15.00 – 15.55 Martin Vaňo, Bohemia Interactive: Flashpoint & Arma – “Indie AAA†title

As the company becomes a garage producer of AAA titles, it yet remains independent. What made ​​the decade of fame and competitiveness of BI Studio, where are limits and where lie its strength.

igcz023.jpg.scaled100ti7ba.jpg

11.10 – 12.00 Ivan Buchta, Bohemia Interactive: Design and development of the gaming environment in the Arma series

The Lecture briefly outlines examples of problems from the project Arma that must be considered when designing the engine and motion data for games with an extensive library of possible events and great freedom of movement for the players. Among other things, he explains why the player usually marks a great difference between the tuned cut-scene and the normal in-game movement.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdHxIz1Df94

12.05 – 12.50 Štěpán Kment, Bohemia Interactive: : Character animation in sandboxgames - complications in the implementation

The lecture surveys various aspects of the development of large terrains in the gaming engine Real Virtuality developed by Bohemia Interactive on examples from developed and published titles (Arma series, Take On Helicopters). In addition to the technical aspects of design, he focuses on the development process for large sandbox terrains ranging from preproduction to test.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCD9BOdYiRM

Edited by PurePassion
I hope you appreciate the research :)

Why the vague cluster bombs? Sign an NDA? It's pretty hard to believe they would have shown revolutionary AI that long ago and none of that filtering down to the public in any way :rolleyes:

Guess we'll find out in a few days.

there has been a video posted at the end of last year (which is now private/unavailable anyways), by an official source that i shall not name here, in some more private "domains", showcasing a 4x4 vehicle driving around lemnos. I got to tell you, it does resembled more to the beginning of that video zimms put in that any other game you played using RV engine. So, booster might know/seen something along those edges just as well.

Pufu, you are not talking about

right? :)

I am sceptical concerning GDS but it sounds really interesting! :)

Edited by PurePassion

Pufu, you are not talking about
right? :)

I am sceptical concerning GDS but it sounds really interesting! :)

No, i wasn't.

The 4x4 driving probably didn't have "moon gravity" anymore, like we are used to it from previous RV engines of BIS.

This alone, is worth buying a copy ^^

God i'm so sick of the ArmAs gravity so far...PhysX in ArmA3 most likely will solve that finally. However when i remember back, in some none-serious MP games, driving with an Abrams from a high mountain on Sahrani and doing crazy jumps over 100s of meters and lading soft like on a pillow at the end, was some fun too... hahahaha.

Although the human gravity condition is the opposite of the moon -that being a 1/2 meter fall can kill.

...in a few days Booster will sing: "I never gonna give you up..." :D

Or we'll see footage from E3 and realize that he was right about everything...

It can go either way, really.

LOL you guys are so gullible!!! Booster is talking absolute shit, i've never read so much bullshit in all my life.

It's so funny to read the responses, so easy to believe. Your hopes are so high and far.

Edited by James2464

Its easy to believe anything when you want it to happen so badly. Either way, I'm looking forward to what we will see at E3.

LOL you guys are so gullible!!! Booster is talking absolute shit, i've never read so much bullshit in all my life.

It's so funny to read the responses, so easy to believe. Your hopes are so high and far.

Ill put this post on my sig till I die if Booster is right. This I swear!

BI staff haven't commented on Booster's post yet, THEREFORE IT MUST BE TRUE!!1!1!!!!11!!!one!!!