Sign in to follow this  
hoak

How will ArmA 3 differ from Arma 2, and ArmA?

There are the obvious new feature differences, different setting, new render capability, new content etc. -- but will there be substantive design differences between ArmA 3 and its predecessors? Some of the game description copy and discussion implies ArmA 3 may lean not just to being more accessible but toward being more of a game and less of a sim. The setting though would seem to counter-indicate this; as future weapons take a lot of 'game skill canon' out of the hands of the Player much as they're intended to on a real battlefield.

While any and all BI games will be on my 'must buy' list, as I don't know of anything else that offers as much value for depth of design and play, the level of long term support, and the enormous payload Fan made content make all BI games inexpensive when compared to any so called 'AAA' title. But I'm wondering how we'll describe ArmA 3 to tactical realism Fans that were on the fence with ArmA 2, i.e. liked it but weren't 'all in' or bought it or had some 'buyers remorse'?

:confused:

Hey Hoak :)

I understand your concerns that Arma 3 might turn out more "arcade". The Single-Player Storyline does indeed lean more into being a "game". But that means only it is more story driven, has stronger characters and delievers more emotional involvement of the player than e.g. the OA campaign with its set of seperate missions.

On the gameplay side however, Arma 3 will absolutely stay the same core experience. In fact, the new features, like the enhanced heli flightmodel from TOH and much more, simply add to the "simulation" aspect.

The aim of Arma 3 is not the loose those hardcore aspects but it will make them easier to understand.

If you want, you can check the confirmed features thread and see what we already know is going to enhance the Arma experience or take a look at some of the "future" weapons here.

:)

I understand your concerns that Arma 3 might turn out more "arcade".

Well to be honest I won't mind even it it is; ArmA 2, it's tons of Mods, and VBS·2 will probably keep me busy for another decade; I still have OFP installed too!

I'm thinking more about my friends then myself here; Ghost Recon Fans, Battlefield Fans -- that want something more like ArmA 2, but are overwhelmed or just don't have the patience for the kinds of ArmA missions and game-play I like... Heck there's probably 'a mod for that' for ArmA 2 and I just don't know about it...

:D

Outside of specific map missions, I don't think anyone has ever tried to mod Arma to be more simplistic in the way it plays, smooth yes but not sure about simple.

But I'm wondering how we'll describe ArmA 3 to tactical realism Fans that were on the fence with ArmA 2, i.e. liked it but weren't 'all in' or bought it or had some 'buyers remorse'?

I'm thinking more about my friends then myself here; Ghost Recon Fans, Battlefield Fans -- that want something more like ArmA 2, but are overwhelmed or just don't have the patience for the kinds of ArmA missions and game-play I like... Heck there's probably 'a mod for that' for ArmA 2 and I just don't know about it...

I don't think Tac-Realism fans (and I like to think of myself as one) feel overwhelmed by Arma games tho they might want certain things streamlined. If anthing, higher CQB and wounding fidelity would be higher on their charts.

I don't think Tac-Realism fans (and I like to think of myself as one) feel overwhelmed by Arma games tho they might want certain things streamlined. If anthing, higher CQB and wounding fidelity would be higher on their charts.

Well, I think the range of wants and expectations is probably as broad as the number of Fans is large; Ghost Recon sold over eleven million units for PC so that's a lot of at least prospective Tactical Realism Fans that didn't quite make it to ArmA Fandom...

You're right though 'overwhelmed' is not quite right; streamlined defines part of it, rather like the quote in the OT post I started in this thread on the bind system design; for others it may be certain aspects of fidelity, though I don't think it's CQC or wound fidelity for a substantial cross-section of TR Fans as many still consider Ghost Recon the watermark and the definitive game of Tactical Realism genre design canon -- and substantially I think they're right.

If I were to point a finger at defining differences I'd say Ghost Recon offers a good illustration of what many are seeking as its sales set precedent, so many comparisons get made to it in other game forums and venues; and I'm sure a lot of ArmA Fans are also Ghost Recon Fans -- so it's not a simple case of either/or exceptionalism, but it does offer some design case examples that work for a very broad audience, where ArmA has been more exclusive.

And, I just found what I was looking for here, also

captures a lot of what I think many Ghost Recon Fans covet: the objectives and serious atmosphere of military professionalism, a game that's easy to get into but offers all the depth of GR's squad control features -- and there's obviously something conveyed even on this ageing engine that simply works as the number of downloads of the mod depicted are stunning.

Just say'n...

:cool:

Edited by Hoak

i just hope it does differ from Arma 1&2 in some way, whether more or less tactical. TBH they've been starting to feel like reskins of the same game with incremental graphics & environment improvements that come with better tech. So far the biggest thing that's actually changed my gameplay is the artillery computer.

How will ArmA 3 differ from Arma 2, and ArmA?

The diving system is for me the best answer !

Well apparently Arma 3 will have a "out of the box" PvP setup based on a squad system, that'll be cool and should attract some BF3 players and others.

i just hope it does differ from Arma 1&2 in some way, whether more or less tactical.

I agree, though I don't think it has to be different in terms of being more/less tactical -- it could just be more accessible...

Well apparently Arma 3 will have a "out of the box" PvP setup based on a squad system, that'll be cool and should attract some BF3 players and others.

Yes I saw that too; and related to that was one thing Battlefield 2 did that I thought was brilliant with its 'spawn on squad' feature that allowed for more sustained squad learning experience in teamwork -- though this sort of thing would be too arcady to fly in an ArmA game...

The way ArmA 3 could do something similar with a reinforcement/respawn game mode is instead of Players magically re-spawning on the map in the middle of nowhere -- they could spawn in clipped areas (vehicles, revetments, buildings etc.) near their squad, HALO in to their squad, or spawn with a vehicle at sea or in the air that would bring them to their squad -- this could even be a scripted mechanic.

This would give some of the same sustained squad support play that more arcade games offer, but with a more realistic mechanic to the reinforcement/spawning takes place.

Edited by Hoak

Can you point me to an official source for that info (the part about a squad system for MP)? I've seen someone else say that, but I've never seen a source for that info. I hope that if there is a PvP squad system, it'll be more like America's Army's squad system that BF3's squad system (really a fireteam).

Can you point me to an official source for that info (the part about a squad system for MP)?

It is actually on the homepage ;)

Online Warfare

Pick a side, form a squad and team up against your enemy in massive competitive and co-operative battles on multi-platform dedicated servers

It is actually on the homepage ;)

Oh, that reference. I didn't take that to mean BIS was implementing a squad system. There's nothing that really says that. Just like I didn't read "massive competitive and co-operative battles" and "multi-platform dedicated servers" to mean that BIS is going to host official, dedicated servers on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I read that to mean that players (especially newcomers), as they have done with OFP, ArmA, and ArmA2, can expect to find community squads established with whom they can play. If I misread that and BIS is implementing a squad system, then that's just awesome.

Well I...maybe Sinnister read something else to support his assumption -- regardless I sure hope he's right; a feature forward squad system for ArmA 3 perhaps with even Ghost Recon like AI backup, where if Players drop out or join AI fills the spot in the squad, real time tactical FSW type command and way-pointing for AI, and of course the reinforcement system I suggested (I'm getting carried away here) would sure up the ante for ArmA 3 MP PvP.

Edited by Hoak

Well to support my argument...

Twitter

Jay Crowe â€@leplaisirquitue

Creative Director, Bohemia Interactive Studio

@James2464 #E3 and #GamesCom are already confirmed! As for PvP, yes, there are experienced designers dedicated to making something great...

With this and the recent "Online Warfare" reveal we can be sure BIS are working on something around squads.

Also they've probably noticed too that about 16%+ of the online Arma 2 population play PvP.

Edited by James2464

Well to support my argument...

Twitter

Jay Crowe â€@leplaisirquitue

Creative Director, Bohemia Interactive Studio

@James2464 #E3 and #GamesCom are already confirmed! As for PvP, yes, there are experienced designers dedicated to making something great...

With this and the recent "Online Warfare" reveal we can be sure BIS are working on something around squads.

Also they've probably noticed too that about 16%+ of the online Arma 2 population play PvP.

Woah! What makes you think that a squad system is only beneficial for PvP? I play COOP and I really want a squad system for that too. I hope it's not just for PvP... What they should notice is that a large portion of the ArmA community organizes into community squads. That right there should be enough to get them to implement some sort of system :p

A squad system'd definitely beat the micromanagement you have to go through, and it'd give team leaders in a rifle squad some function :yay:

Woah! What makes you think that a squad system is only beneficial for PvP? I play COOP and I really want a squad system for that too. I hope it's not just for PvP... What they should notice is that a large portion of the ArmA community organizes into community squads. That right there should be enough to get them to implement some sort of system :p

Lol the squad system would obviously be for both COOP and PvP if it exists at all.

How would this "squad system" be different from the squad mechanics we have in Arma 2?

Hi, for the few WIP videos and info that i've seen until today... i don't see any significant difference between the ArmA2 and ArmA3 game play; seems the same to me. Let's C ya

Hi, for the few WIP videos and info that i've seen until today... i don't see any significant difference between the ArmA2 and ArmA3 game play; seems the same to me. Let's C ya

Probably won't be able to judge it until E3, when we can finally see a lot of the features that are actually supposed to be in the game. Animations will probably be the most noticeable difference on video.

not much diferent. just like arma armed assault to arma 2

That is going to disappoint me deeply if true.

How would this "squad system" be different from the squad mechanics we have in Arma 2?

Well I don't think anyone but BI knows how it 'is' or may be different from ArmA or ArmA 2 but suggesting how it 'might' be different is the sort of feedback BI has solicited, and this forum is for -- and to keep from side-railing this thread I started a separate thread on Squad System Design here...

That is going to disappoint me deeply if true.

Deeply disappointed, really? The BI games have always been some of the most ambitious, features rich, well supported, envelope pushing SOTA games you can buy as a civilian. The open-world sandbox nature of BI design and mod tools that are given as much attention as the game makes just about anything you're disappointed with an arcation point for a mod that someone will likely make if you don't. The confirmed features list alone is stunning, so even if the ArmA 3 were otherwise an ArmA 2 clone it will have me enthusiastically taking out my wallet as soon as I can buy it.

That said, I do know what you mean; I personally would really like to see BI turn some of their talent from SOTA engine and simulation design and a little more to game design. I've always felt that there could be a game between ArmA and and the Battlefield games, that could be enormously more popular then either, and that BI should make it, not DICE or some Publisher owned and controlled Studio.

:eek:

Edited by Hoak