Sign in to follow this  
cobra5000

Israel in ARMA3

Careful with the political talk (yes, it's a political issue). Iran takes over a weakened Turkey. YES, Iran is clearly the aggressor in ArmA3. They take advantage of a nation that has had several natural disasters (or one really big one?). While the Turkish military is most likely focused on helping Turkish citizens, Iran invades them at their lowest point. That's a vile move in my opinion, void of any morality, any ethics whatsoever. Sorry, you can say what you want, but clearly the Republic of Iran in ArmA3 is an aggressive nationalist nation. But once again I think the significance of the peace treaty being the Jerusalem Peace Accords is that Israel is not invaded. They probably are neutral (although they'd really be allied with NATO). Chances are, even if in ArmA3 Israel is allied with NATO, the Arab League probably negotiates the peace, and they probably choose Jerusalem as the location to sign because NATO probably put troops in Israel, Iran probably put troops in Lebanon, and so there would probably have been major conflict in Palestine and really close to Egypt, a member of the Arab League. They probably don't want any conflict near them, and they probably don't want any more conflict around Israel/Gaza, so they sign the peace treaty there. I wouldn't be surprised if the West Bank and Gaza are given to the Palestinians to form a state as a part of the peace. But I doubt Israel is taken over by Iran. It's just like N Korea taking over S Korea. It's a red line for the West, especially for the US. So, in the context of ArmA3, that's the best way to avoid any kind of real controversial issue and to avoid bringing of the topic of Israeli-Palestinian relations. Israel definitely wouldn't supply Iran; and, regardless of the fact that the Iranian government is now secular (in ArmA3), that doesn't mean that Iran will all of a sudden stop funding Hezbollah and stop supporting Hamas. I honestly wish that at some point ArmA3 would introduce Iran proxies. Israel would supply the Greek resistance before they supplied Iran.

+1 ,That just makes sense but what do I know :) .

ah comeon guys not this again. This is absurd. Regardless of that you think might or might not happen in 2035, your guess is just as good as the game creators. They have full right to make up any story they want. If they wanted to, they could put the mythical "miraculously un-sunken" island of Atlantis somewhere there. Stop trying to tell them how they should tell their story. 70 years ago you wouldn't say that Germany was exactly going to be friends with anyone. SHOCKING NEWS....things change. For that matter I cant really see Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia exactly being green on that map, or Poland? Why is Slovakia green and CZ in Nato? Its their story, just let them finish. And if after all that you are still unhappy about the color combination of the digipatern, the armpatch or which side of the handgrip the magazine attaches, then please by all means download O2, have a Coke and a smile and shut the f^#k up. At least in this game you truly have the means to do whatever you like post-release.

Where did this generation of whiny pseudo-entitled-armchair-game-developers come from? Bet you noone bitched at Shigeru Miyamoto back in 1980 saying "Nooo man, no plumber would wear a red cap with a big M on it, man you trippin, noones gonna buy ur game."

ah comeon guys not this again. This is absurd. Regardless of that you think might or might not happen in 2035, your guess is just as good as the game creators. They have full right to make up any story they want. If they wanted to, they could put the mythical "miraculously un-sunken" island of Atlantis somewhere there. Stop trying to tell them how they should tell their story. 70 years ago you wouldn't say that Germany was exactly going to be friends with anyone. SHOCKING NEWS....things change. For that matter I cant really see Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia exactly being green on that map, or Poland? Why is Slovakia green and CZ in Nato? Its their story, just let them finish. And if after all that you are still unhappy about the color combination of the digipatern, the armpatch or which side of the handgrip the magazine attaches, then please by all means download O2, have a Coke and a smile and shut the f^#k up. At least in this game you truly have the means to do whatever you like post-release.

Where did this generation of whiny pseudo-entitled-armchair-game-developers come from? Bet you noone bitched at Shigeru Miyamoto back in 1980 saying "Nooo man, no plumber would wear a red cap with a big M on it, man you trippin, noones gonna buy ur game."

That's a bit over the top. This is just me giving you the benefit of the doubt, but- for someone who appears to have been in this community much longer than I have- you seem strangely unaccustomed with the fact that this is a community that just loves discussing the detailed aspects of games, and that is not meant to be an affront to the developers. Indeed, I'm sure many here would like to think that the developers very much appreciate this aspect of this community at times. As far as I can tell no one in this thread is criticizing BIS for their storyline (not least because we hardly know any of it yet!), we are merely speculating as to how one might reconcile what little we do know with the present political situation. If you have that much of problem with speculation, then no need to participate.

Okay in 7/6 years lets see how right Bohemia were, I bet nothing will have changed since today.

I bet those countries you mentioned are green (as in, Russian influenced) because they buy oil from Russia, and probably they are also economically dependent on Russia. They probably fell on hard times, and Russia offered a hand to help them. I think the countries influenced by Russia are so because they begin an economic relationship with Russia. No one's trying to tell BIS how to write their stories. It's discussion because we don't know all the facts. We like to speculate on things we don't know. And, yes, it also serves as a sort of hopeful wish that BIS will include some of the stuff that's discussed if and only if they haven't fully developed their story. I think they have though, because they said they will release an extended background story soon, probably next week or the week after... actually, probably next week, to coincide with PAX EAST or something (other games will be releasing info and showing gameplay then). I think you are the one that needs to have a Coke, smile, and shut up, because you are the only one who is angry and upset. If you don't like discussion, then why are you on the forums? The primary purpose of a forum of any kind is discussion. Chill out. If you need to take a break from the forums, please do so. It's not like anyone has offended you or anything.

Edited by antoineflemming

I bet those countries you mentioned are green (as in, Russian influenced) because they buy oil from Russia, and probably they are also economically dependent on Russia. They probably fell on hard times, and Russia offered a hand to help them. I think the countries influenced by Russia are so because they begin an economic relationship with Russia.

This is certainly a good enough explanation in itself. Russia has in fact been developing a whole series of pipelines from Siberia into Eastern Europe and beyond, not only to reach new markets, but also to flex their political muscle. Indeed, being dependent on another country for fuel (of all resources) is certainly justification for much political influence.

I bet those countries you mentioned are green (as in, Russian influenced) because they buy oil from Russia, and probably they are also economically dependent on Russia. They probably fell on hard times, and Russia offered a hand to help them. I think the countries influenced by Russia are so because they begin an economic relationship with Russia. No one's trying to tell BIS how to write their stories. It's discussion because we don't know all the facts. We like to speculate on things we don't know. And, yes, it also serves as a sort of hopeful wish that BIS will include some of the stuff that's discussed if and only if they haven't fully developed their story. I think they have though, because they said they will release an extended background story soon, probably next week or the week after... actually, probably next week, to coincide with PAX EAST or something (other games will be releasing info and showing gameplay then). I think you are the one that needs to have a Coke, smile, and shut up, because you are the only one who is angry and upset. If you don't like discussion, then why are you on the forums. The primary purpose of a forum of any kind is discussion. Chill out. If you need to take a break from the forums, please do so. It's not like anyone has offended you or anything.

Doubt it.

Doubt it.

Read the ArmA3 background story again:

Background

A select analysis of the events precipitating the 2035 Aegean stand-off.

Blighted by the long tail of a deep-rooted economic crisis and sliding toward the threshold of war, beleaguered NATO member-states stand weakened against an ambitious, resurgent Iran.

Flooded with profits from the rich export markets of a resource-thirsty SE-Asia and the rising price of oil, bolstered by strong ties with China and strategic entente with Russia, Iran sought to expand its influence.

Deployed under the auspices of a swift humanitarian response, Turkey – decimated by a series of devastating and unprecedented natural disasters – fell within months to ruthless Iranian Armed Forces. Iran’s aggressive expansion – spilling over into Greek sovereign territory – was brought to a halt in Rhodope Prefecture with the ratification of the Jerusalem Peace Accord of 2034, which crystallised a new strategic front along the shorelines of the Aegean Sea.

With the US locked into its own proxy-wars against aggressive Chinese expansionism in the Pacific, with each year more member-states leaving NATO on the promise of Russian oil, the fragmented alliance faces the growing risk of a global conflict that they can ill-afford.

On the question of "Why would they sell arms to Iran", maybe they sell arms to anybody? The Israeli's will generally assist anybody, as long as whatever the give them/help them with cannot hurt Israel. Hell, before we went into Panama the Israeli's were training their military for lots of $. Maybe Iran going nationalist had them make peace with Israel, so Israel became a neutral party, renounced all ties with NATO and starting selling their equipment to their neighbors. It's a valid possibility, but only one possibility out of a couple dozen.

I dont get why Chezch republic, Spain and Portugal left NATO but at still NATO allies. That dosn't make sense. Isnt it just the same as being in NATO?

I dont get why Chezch republic, Spain and Portugal left NATO but at still NATO allies. That dosn't make sense. Isnt it just the same as being in NATO?

I don't know. Seems weird to me too.

If you're a non-member NATO ally, NATO countries aren't legally obligated to defend you if you're attacked. It would make sense to leave NATO if you were champing at the bit for a war that NATO didn't want.

But it's sort of hard to see how you could drop out of a formal alliance and just turn into a lesser sort of ally. Maybe there was a diplomatic quid pro quo that forced them out of NATO. Maybe nationalist citizenry forced their governments to withdraw, while elite and cultural ties to NATO countries remain, making them friends when the chips are down.

Read the ArmA3 background story again:

I was referring to PAX east, you said the would reveal something I said I doubt it.

I was referring to PAX east, you said the would reveal something I said I doubt it.

Ohhhhh... my bad. I thought you were referring to the story thing. Yeah, I doubt it too. I wish they would though. Maybe some new pics would be good at least. But yeah, we probably have to wait till E3.

If you're a non-member NATO ally, NATO countries aren't legally obligated to defend you if you're attacked. It would make sense to leave NATO if you were champing at the bit for a war that NATO didn't want.

But it's sort of hard to see how you could drop out of a formal alliance and just turn into a lesser sort of ally. Maybe there was a diplomatic quid pro quo that forced them out of NATO. Maybe nationalist citizenry forced their governments to withdraw, while elite and cultural ties to NATO countries remain, making them friends when the chips are down.

Perhaps, but we really have yet to see how much NATO does or doesn't want war (but I guess it'd be logical to put our money behind the paradigm that they merely defending against the Iranian aggressor). And I don't know, potentially jeopardizing your diplomatic security is not something that a nation preparing for war would want to do, especially since none of those countries are remotely strong enough to sustain an independent war effort.