Sign in to follow this  
Scorlhov

The "magic" radar

At first i thought it was arcadish, but after playing and testing it, it appears to be a very important and great tool.

This tool has many fonctions

- Visual detection/identification

- RWR (radar warning receiver)

- LWR (laser warning receiver)

- Maw (missile approach warner) IR/laser/radar

The visual detection is very well done, and compensate our limited SA due to our screen and small FOV

The detection distance of a tank is +-3Km, the identification is +-2.5km, for a soldier it's less (0.5 to 1km). If the unit is hidden (forest, house,...), it can't be detect. This is very well done and very realistic. IMO it must be part of all air/ground flight combat simulator, ar/air is another story :)

The other fontions (rwr, lwr, Maw) are generic but it's not a problem, due to the fact that, for most of these modern systems, there are no public information (military protect).

I think , this tool must be adapt in regard to the helicopter avionic. if a helicopter has no LWR or RWR it must be deactivate for that specific helicopter, and so on..

For example the mi-24 in operation in chenya, were fitted with LWR L-140, then it's accurate to have it.

I have a doubt for The IR missile approach warner, IMO only the superhind can have it.

It would be good if the superhind can detect the target at a greater distance due to it's FLIR, TV camera.

All in all it's a great tool.

Comment are welcome :)

Thx

edit: one problem i notice is that, at night the distance detection/identification is the same. It doesn't seemed to be affect by the weather and time of day. It's sad :(

Edited by Scorlhov

Very good point. The thing is just that I like to find my targets without much artificial help like this. As stated before I'd be fine if this would only work as a RWR. Part of the fun (for me) is finding and identifying targets which becomes obsolete with the radar. When I fly missions in DCS I often spend way more time looking for targets than shooting things which is something I miss here. Operating with a FAC in MP to find and eliminate targets using smoke would be really cool for example. There is just no point in doing this if the radar shows enemy positions.