purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

This is what ArmA 3's 'PLOT' looks like in my eyes... Toy-Soldier-Posters.jpg

This is the Argument of this entire debate:

Look guys, do you want a simulator for the future? Or what was a simulator for something that exists. It's becoming 'surreal', rather than realistic.

Who here bought or is buying ArmA for it's FUTURE simulation, or is it just for the ENGINE DEVELOPMENT. If the Alpha didn't meet your expectations, then I assure the rest will do the same.

You can't get what you want from Bohemia Interactive, that's a published statement. I think if this comment means nothing to others, then ArmA means nothing to others. What about all of those Squads and MILSIM Fanbase players, where are they going... rocketing into the future on a leash?

YEAH... and I'm the developer for ArmA 3 lolz. :j:

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

I cannot see myself back in 2009 posting this, but it's happening now.

What about all of those Squads and MILSIM Fanbase players, where are they going... rocketing into the future on a leash?

Hey, DeclaredEvol, since when do Squads and MILSIM players care about the plot or yet unclear campaign? Perhaps they care more about the high quality assets, vehicles and weapon systems combined with the engine enhancements and backwards compatibility?

Maybe you can be more specific with your concerns?

MILSIM players don't typically simulate future technology, that I am sure of. This is the whole problem here, it either takes a complete Overhaul of content in a single package. And something such as All in Arma would have to completely utilize all of ArmA 3's differences, might happen but time will tell. If neither happens, then MILSIM players will be optioned out from the game. ArmA 3 is realistic, it feels real... but I don't comfortably compare it to how the original ArmA was. The original seemed strictly based on real life, strictly based on mimicking the real world today. ArmA 3 is based on what 'could' be real life, get where this is going? I still enjoy playing ArmA 3, but its a complete change from the original. The content in many ways contradicts what MILSIM players are truly interested in... reality.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Look, this is what I am saying...

MILSIM players don't typically simulate future technology, that I am sure of. This is the whole problem here, it either takes a complete Overhaul of content in a single package. And something such as All in Arma would have to completely utilize all of ArmA 3's differences, might happen but time will tell. If neither happens, then MILSIM players will be optioned out from the game. ArmA 3 is realistic, it feels real... but I don't comfortably compare it to how the original ArmA was. The original seemed strictly based on real life, strictly based on mimicking the real world today. ArmA 3 is based on what 'could' be real life, get where this is going? I still enjoy playing ArmA 3, but its a complete change from the original. The content in many ways contradicts what MILSIM players are truly interested in... reality.

and don't get me wrong, the changes are not terrible... but it means developers will typically have to remodel a lot of content. Things will look out of place, such as many of the ISLAND's objects... the tents and aircraft shelters look advanced. The camouflage on vehicles looks like Heat deflecting technology... it is rare to see on modern battlefields. But this is speculation, there are very many things that would look out of place for MILSIM players. The campaign, war against Iran isn't something that is fake. But pretending that we may use all of this material, draws ArmA into more of a science fiction war theater. I honestly in all opinion think that the Future War Theater should had been a DLC, it is a great idea... but waiting is what most of us will have to do for seeing the next ArmA I or ArmA II.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

Never seen someone quote himself in his own same message before...

Frankly, The idea of NATO V Iran is more likely then South V North Sahrani.

Never seen someone quote himself in his own same message before...

Yes I can see why you think it is odd, but I can quote anything that I may had said and use it as a quick pointer. But I think it is a common goal for people like you to try and humiliate a person with great intellect, a primitive and less intelligent goal I must mention is to do so. The point of quoting myself, is so I can explain myself even further. And if you examine closely, it was posted separately and combined unwillingly by the forum programming. Don't blame me :)

Don't mind me for asking, but I thought the point of my topic was for a purpose... and you're dismissing that for what? Is it because I am a critic, and probably the best on the forum? :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

Frankly, The idea of NATO V Iran is more likely then South V North Sahrani.

Yeah, that I do agree :)

But the argument was over the content inside the game, not the story. You can quote what I said about the ArmA 3 plot being Green Army men (Plastic, Fake)... but I was just joking around. I think ArmA 3 is an interesting concept, but I don't want to see it overtake the original premise of ArmA. Remember, the competitiveness between something like this and a arena military shooter is that this is more like real life. The formula is being tampered with, almost greatly with this new release. I think, I should just leave it at that... but time will tell.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

No, no you're not making sense.

When you're talking about "future equipment", you're in fact talking about the AH-6, the Oshkosh M-ATV, the GM6 Lynx, the KAC LMG, the Cheytac M200, the "Ansyr" M-RAP, the TAR-21, the MK14 EBR, the SMAW, the RPG 32 and a rifle series designed by an professional working in the arms industry...

Additionally, you should let it free to those "Milsim" clans what they like or don't like. Only speak for yourself.

Arma was never strictly based on real life, nor strictly based on mimicking the real world today. It has always been the Armaverse. The only difference is the shift in the timespan. However it's still the same. The equipment and weapons exist today and are being used today. It is real.

If you prefer to use Cold War era equipment, that's unfortunately your problem. BIS won't do the same stuff yet again ;)

But hey, at the same time there are people complaining the equipment is too less futuristic :rolleyes:

Edited by PurePassion

Glad to see this thread has gone full circle. Again. :j:

Are the Iranian nano suits and space helmets real? And if so does it make their military more advanced than NATO with it's massive military budget? As they (NATO) don't seem to have anything similar?

I get where DeclaredEvol is coming from, I didn't really think to much about it before but now i would have preferred a more contemporary setting and content, especially with developments happening in the ME recently, so much material to draw from, actually I wouldn't care if they named it OA 2 and added Israel, Iran and hezbollah to the mix, then we'd have a kick ass war game... Cold war era weapons and all.

Edited by Katipo66

Are the Iranian nano suits and space helmets real? And if so does it make their military more advanced than NATO with it's massive military budget? As they (NATO) don't seem to have anything similar?

Yes, the Iranian uniform consists of a layer with a micro climate cooling system such as this one and the helmet has two HUDs with transparent displays. That's all in the first post btw :)

cooling_vest.jpg

It was also said that the east has gained much more power and finances through their ressources etc and the NATO/BLUFOR is rather the "underdog" this time.

I get that tech is current but I don't see how it relates to the uniforms, for example the neck area or I guess that's just artistic expression to make it look futuristic, still not convinced with helmet design but over it already as thankfully there's baseball caps.

Lol! Ohh fuk it, I'd buy one, I'd be the gayest looking soldier this side of an ied but all my friends will love me at the blue oyster!

Well I got no clue if it's rubber or what but it is definitely a cooling system under the uniform :cool:

I was almost inclined to see about trying to build an opfor suit, you know, for cosplay or advert purposes, but then I looked up the prices for that kind of HQ custom gear and thought "nnnnnope".

As cool as I think the opfor uniform is (It really is the coolest enemy gear in a -long- time. Or´d you rather have yet another bunch of brown clothed, gas-masked, 70s flak vest wearing russians with FN Fals and ACRs as an enemy?), I am kinda not able to dish out 10k for a custom uniform.

The only thing that´s mildly irritating me is the katiba, which even has clearly modelled 5.56mm cartridges in its magazine.

No, no you're not making sense.

When you're talking about "future equipment", you're in fact talking about the AH-6, the Oshkosh M-ATV, the GM6 Lynx, the KAC LMG, the Cheytac M200, the "Ansyr" M-RAP, the TAR-21, the MK14 EBR, the SMAW, the RPG 32 and a rifle series designed by an professional working in the arms industry...

Additionally, you should let it free to those "Milsim" clans what they like or don't like. Only speak for yourself.

Arma was never strictly based on real life, nor strictly based on mimicking the real world today. It has always been the Armaverse. The only difference is the shift in the timespan. However it's still the same. The equipment and weapons exist today and are being used today. It is real.

If you prefer to use Cold War era equipment, that's unfortunately your problem. BIS won't do the same stuff yet again ;)

But hey, at the same time there are people complaining the equipment is too less futuristic :rolleyes:

Shakes head, I guess I should go ahead leave it alone. :eek:

I simply don't understand the point of making a Game that Pretends to be a Simulator of what may be Real Life, Eighteen Years or more into the Future.

Boooooo!!!! come on man, what the heck?!?!

I think I'm packing up my bags, ACE3 please do something about this nonsense!

Moderators are smoking some Marijuana, what else could you be paying them to support this product!

I'd be a monkey's uncle if you could see this lol

Edited by Max Power

So what if it's set ~20 years into the future? It uses current day tech and still follows the traditional gameplay that we know and love.

Because it's hard to get rid of all of the material we don't use yet :D

And because people wont play the game vanilla. I guess we've got to completely spank ArmA with mods :|

Edited by Max Power

It's simple: so much of the seen equipment actually exists in real-life that Arma 3 is only "inauthentic" in the sense of the US military not (officially) using some of it. As for the US military of 2035 using said equipment? Conveniently excused by our timelines having diverged for over fifty years. :D And presumably bigger military budgets and less "defense contractor oligarchy" in the Armaverse, if you get my meaning...

Food for thought: by being set in 2035 they have a better excuse than the Modern Warfare series had for its "inexplicable gear variety". :p

Edited by Chortles

But I think it is a common goal for people like you to try and humiliate a person with great intellect, a primitive and less intelligent goal I must mention is to do so.

Humiliate? It's something you did, and something I have never seen before. It's right there for everyone to see. Is it embarrassing? I didn't think so, maybe you feel embarrassed?

Don't mind me for asking, but I thought the point of my topic was for a purpose... and you're dismissing that for what? Is it because I am a critic, and probably the best on the forum?

That's odd. Do you feel dismissed?

Because it's hard to get rid of all of the material we don't use yet :D

And because people wont play the game vanilla. I guess we've got to completely spank ArmA with mods :|

That's an overstatement. There are plenty of people playing the Alpha and the same case will apply for the vanilla.

Mil-Sim units do not represent the majority of the Arma community, especially now with the influx of new players.

I get where DeclaredEvol is coming from, I didn't really think to much about it before but now i would have preferred a more contemporary setting and content, especially with developments happening in the ME recently, so much material to draw from, actually I wouldn't care if they named it OA 2 and added Israel, Iran and hezbollah to the mix, then we'd have a kick ass war game... Cold war era weapons and all.

The helmet design is a counter mix between future soldier concepts and modern day helicopter pilot helmets. http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/top-gunship-attack-helicopters.249792/page-6 On the bright side it could have been much worse http://www.nanotech-now.com/images/US-Army-Soldier-Systems/FW_Helmet_Front-med.jpg ;)

Just realised, possible cooling system there too http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/dropzone/FW/FW_Helmet_Side.jpg ...dooooooood

Edited by NodUnit

Mil-Sim units do not represent the majority of the Arma community...

Ive always pondered the demographic... is there some stats/data somewhere?

The helmet design is a counter mix between future soldier concepts and modern day helicopter pilot helmets.

I wonder if this allows for some type of helmet mounted missile guidance system? maybe shoulder mounted if so then im sold :D otherwise im genuinely curious about the whole concept of the uniform.