purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Sound like someone with a military fetish is trying to convince all with his preferences of old weapons and vehicles.... and their "charisma" aka Or is it just another poor try to make A3 include only military stuff that could be obsolete/upgraded by 2035? What about the "charisma" of crossbows, swords and battle axes?

I bet you would feel no difference being shot in the head from 800m by M21 or some fancy new sniper.

These new weapons and vehicles are nice and super cool and all, but they lack one thing: charisma. AK47, M60, M14, SVD, BMP, M1A1, Bradley, A10, M79, M113, Mi24, F16, M16, T72, UAZ, RPG-7, CH47, Hummer, SCUD and so on. They all have charisma because they were used in real combat, they killed lots of people, they are easily recognizable and made in huge numbers. From this list only Merkava and Osprey have some charisma, others are props from superhero movies.

Since when does military vehicles got charisma.

I rather have some "uncharismatic" new weapons and vehicles than the same shit as 99% of the other games got.

And also do you mean that the Osprey kill more people than for example the fennek/Patria and namer?

Yes to battle axes in ArmA 3.

No, let's all jump around with XM-25-s.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

And also do you mean that the Osprey kill more people than for example the fennek/Patria and namer?

No. But Osprey is very well known name for someone who likes military stuff.

sektor - in A3 (2035) I would prefer some fancy new sniper instead of this "ancient" M21 rifle. Its said that the new A3 sniper weapon system will make much cleaner shot/hit and without too much noise! Just imagine the sniper with an old + loud sniper rifle will be localized just a second or two after his first shot - imagine the outrage about modern sniper/fire detection systems and the capabilities of surpressing his position. Btw the modern battle axe of A3 could be the Switchblade "kamikaze" drone (SUAS) or something similar....

Personally I'm also incredibly tired of all those regular old stuff we see getting remade over and over and over again in all wargames. It's not new, it's not fresh, it's not fun or interesting anymore. When playing A2 today I practically only use mods that add anything NOT american or russian.

For A3 I hoped for either new countries or something slight futuristic like this. So far I think they have done good research and choices to make a realistic armaverse ~20 years from now, and it seems I'll have both of my wishes come true :P Only exception is possibly railguns, but that might be a part of the story rather than a commonly used weaponry from that time. We simply have to wait and see about that.

Anyways, just because it's a "simulator" doesnt mean it cant contain things not (yet) standardized. The fact that most things really exist in one way or another is good enough for me, as long as it has logical connections to whatever army using it in the game. I love playing around with existing or rumored prototypes in my own modding, and imagine how it would be used in times of war when more money and priority is put on these things. It often turns out to be great assets for WW3-scenarios and such, where you want more spice on your gear.

@NoRailgunner - i think you will have more fun with Arma 3 than i. My preferred scenario would be something like Soviet war in Afghanistan, or Vietnam war, or Gulf war from the 90s.

@NoRailgunner - i think you will have more fun with Arma 3 than i. My preferred scenario would be something like Soviet war in Afghanistan, or Vietnam war, or Gulf war from the 90s.

But that will be modded. With some goodwill and dedicated addon makers. The Vanilla game is a sandbox, based on engine improvments. And it must renew the game somehow, and attract new customers.

@ProfTournesol

Nobody made mod for 2 of 3 major wars/conflicts i named in ArmA2. Now that i think of it, there were mods for every conflict, war and bar fight ever in old OFP.

@ProfTournesol

Nobody made mod for 2 of 3 major wars/conflicts i named in ArmA2. Now that i think of it, there were mods for every conflict, war and bar fight ever in old OFP.

Nobody, included you ;) That's why i wrote "goodwill".

Nobody, included you ;) That's why i wrote "goodwill".

It's hard to be dedicated addon maker, damit.

@ProfTournesol

There´s a Gulf War mod, and there is a Vietnam mod. There also was a modding team working on the soviet war in afghanistan, but they kind of disassembled I think.

It is true, modding is hard. Which is why so few people are doing it, and even fewer are getting into it while others are leaving.

Thanks PurePassion, I've had a good time reading this. :popcornsmilie:

There´s a Gulf War mod, and there is a Vietnam mod. There also was a modding team working on the soviet war in afghanistan, but they kind of disassembled I think.

It is true, modding is hard. Which is why so few people are doing it, and even fewer are getting into it while others are leaving.

Yep, in OFP you had a fresh base, addons were generally easier to make and people communicated a bit more.

Nowadays you have.

UV Mapping

High detailed modelling (otherwise you get scolded)

High resolution and detailed textures. (same as above)

rvmats

specular map

normal map

reflection maps

tons more coding

and as far as the first, largest group goes..aging, jobs, commitments.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's progression but I've seen many people forget that new people don't understand all of these subjects or have the means. For example some time ago a UK Challenger 2 was released, it was the persons first time and a few users said they wouldn't even download it until they improved X, X and X. That is NOT the kind of attitude we should have towards newcomers.

Edited by NodUnit

Yep, in OFP you had a fresh base, addons were generally easier to make and people communicated a bit more.

Nowadays you have.

UV Mapping

High detailed modelling (otherwise you get scolded)

High resolution and detailed textures. (same as above)

rvmats

specular map

normal map

reflection maps

tons more coding

and as far as the first, largest group goes..aging, jobs, commitments.

and so on, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's progression but I've seen many people forget that new people don't understand all of these subjects or have the means. For example some time ago a UK Challenger 2 was released, it was the persons first time and a few users said they wouldn't even download it until they improved X, X and X. This is NOT the kind of attitude we need.

it aint exactly easy to learn when you start at 16 :p now im 19 and i didnt know what "baking the model" did or was until recently :D

Exactly! Each subject has hundreds of branching rules in understnad how things work and how to make them work. First you go through the interface, then learn how to create things, then learn how to use them, how to better them, and there's just so much to learn it can be overwhelming at first.

How does UV mapping work, what method do I use for this part, how should I arrange this, should this piece be larger than this, will this be seen more ingame, what if I split this into two, what would be the pro's and cons of that. What polycount should I am for, can I afford more detail, where can I find that detail, how can I best make that detail, what is a normal map, how can I manipulate that, should I use a high poly normal or paint the normals..on and on and on. Yet when someone comes along that lacks many of these things, all too often so many are quick to judge and more or less steer that person away.

Exactly! Each subject has hundreds of branching rules in understnad how things work and how to make them work. First you go through the interface, then learn how to create things, then learn how to use them, how to better them, and there's just so much to learn it can be overwhelming at first.

How does UV mapping work, what method do I use for this part, how should I arrange this, should this piece be larger than this, will this be seen more ingame, what if I split this into two, what would be the pro's and cons of that. What polycount should I am for, can I afford more detail, where can I find that detail, how can I best make that detail, what is a normal map, how can I manipulate that, should I use a high poly normal or paint the normals..on and on and on. Yet when someone comes along that lacks many of these things, all too often so many are quick to judge and more or less steer that person away.

even with the AUG and AK pack, texturing the parts i've modelled turned out craper then what i did on gimp. ive tried tons of stuff to make it blend in with the rest, if i was to release it now and see some comments calling it shite i'd be pretty pissed knowing the effort i've put in so far

even with the AUG and AK pack, texturing the parts i've modelled turned out craper then what i did on gimp. ive tried tons of stuff to make it blend in with the rest, if i was to release it now and see some comments calling it shite i'd be pretty pissed knowing the effort i've put in so far

Texturing is an art. I tried my hand at it for IL-2, as well as painting plane profiles. I couldn´t get it right: it takes massive effort to reach the place where advanced people like Sabre (whose texturing work is really great, imo) are. I think people often forget that when looking at mods: each modder is very likely pushing the boundaries of their own box of knowledge and skills. For what they can do, everything they do is excellent. What comes in then is constructive criticism to help building more knowledge and skills, improve the work.

I guess what modders need to do is ask why and what for they are modding. Is it other people? Those are terribly hard to please. Are they doing it for themselves and for fun? That makes it easier, and while we are often our greatest critics, we´re usually at least not rude to ourselves.

But what this means that, in the eye of someone who pays lots and lots of attention, "authenticity" suffers. For example, I found that the slide of the KSG isn´t modelled correctly (the bottom lacks the cutout where the trigger guard goes when the slide is racked.). But, as far as functionality goes, it doesn´t matter. All it is, is an aesthetic problem.

And until I am sure that the game under the hood is as good as it needs to be, I won´t concern myself with those details. I leave that to BI´s artists. Arma 3 is a massive project, things are going to get overlooked. Another good reason to go with the future scenario: it gives you a little wiggleroom when modelling things.

But again, my primary concerns as a player are AI, Interface, weapons-, personal and vehicle armour simulation, as well as Weight simulation and improved movement and animations. Visual realism or "authenticity" doesn´t really come into play for me, because as I said before, I don´t think for the realism of the core game, it does not matter at all.

Are you blind or trying to go in circles again? The real Mi-28 has no passenger section like one can see it in the Mi-48 "Kajman" BIS preview pic. Its easier if you take A3 as an alternate/fictional game and not as an true/real milsim. Guess that BIS themselves are not knowing how all the (military) things work let alone how to make and get them into a game that should make profit. How many people would like to buy & enjoy a simulation and how many just want a game that is a bit more challenging/different than the average shooter? ;)

Are you blind or trying to go in circles again? The real Mi-28 has no passenger section like one can see it in the Mi-48 "Kajman" BIS preview pic. Its easier if you take A3 as an alternate/fictional game and not as an true/real milsim. Guess that BIS themselves are not knowing how all the (military) things work let alone how to make and get them into a game that should make profit. How many people would like to buy & enjoy a simulation and how many just want a game that is a bit more challenging/different than the average shooter? ;)

It's the future. We're not going to be using the same military hardware for the next 100 years. At some point technology advances, things undergo design changes, etc, etc. Just like we still aren't using weapons from World War I (less than 100 years ago). You are the one going in circles.

Please read and try again! Btw 2035 minus 100 is still 1935 and we are actually in year 2012. World War I was 1914-1918.... Now go and try to find out when the first Mi-28's where flying in active duty. Maybe you have luck this time.... :whistle: