purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Slatts

Please do not hotlink images over 100 KB, and please do not flamebait FeoFUN.

In this instance, I believe FeoFUN was simply responding to the claim that the original Mi-28 had a larger compartment for carrying troops, not attempting to carry on the authenticity matters / doesn't matter / is realism / is not realism / personal taste arguments.

All these sources are repeating the same myth, for some reason - i have seen and examined this bay on my own, at the MAKS-2001 airshow: there was only 1 dirty robe and 2 bottles of lemonade stored in. :) It's pretty small, BTW - ~1.5-2m3 and main purpose of it is to store the supplies or some equipment. And no way it can serve as compartment for three persons.

Strangely ALL sources I look around at mention this compartment that can store 2-3 men.

And, its russian/ex soviet equipment we are talking about, the extra "crew" compartment according to the sources mention its for survivors of other crashed helicopters, its not meant to be comfortable and it is seen in many old soviet equipment that the armored vehicles often had really small spaces for the crew and passengers. Having three people in there is probably stretching it but remember its for rescue only, I guess they can cramp in there if the other option is walking home in enemy territorry, but no one said anything about it being pleasant .

But well it is probably used mostly as an extra cargo space cause rescuing helicopter crews arent really ordinary business.

"A hatch in the port side, to the rear of the wing, gives access to the avionics compartment and a space large enough to accommodate two or three passengers during a combat rescue."

http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/mil_mi28_havoc.htm

Also this is taken from the official MIL home page (I goggle translated it so it looks strange, but the passenger count is right)

"The performance characteristics of Mi-28

Basic data Mi-28 Mi-28A

Built 1982 1987

Crew. 2 2

Number of passengers 2-3 * 2-3 *

Edited by paecmaker

paecmaker

Believe me, it's just another usual myth - this bay(officially called "the rear electronic-equipment bay") serves for the rapid re-deployment and usually contains the most essential equipment: protection covers for rotors, engines and cockpit, basic diagnostic tools and other service equipment. During the test runs and trials this bay contains the telemetric equipment. As well it may contain some mission equipment or additional combat/reconnaissance electronics. Yes, theoretically it can serve as compartment for the assigned technician or person who need to be evacuated, but it's not the original and main purpose what it has been developed for.

Fianally, let's think in this way - how often you need to evacuate the pilots or another persons by the combat helicopters(especially if you have a specialized rescue ones) to make such a bay with that purpose at the first place in your mind? Very-very rare. And how often you need to rapidly re-deploy the helicopters and their essential equipment? Constantly, even if you aren't at war, but for the regular drills or maneuvers.

The bad thing about Internet is that myths here are spreading with the speed of light. :( Copy and Paste - and now many of sources are repeating the same wrong information.

Edited by FeoFUN

Where is AK-74 real & in game :confused:?

There is no indication as of yet that the AK-74 will be a weapon in ArmA 3.

paecmaker

Believe me, it's just another usual myth - this bay(officially called "the rear electronic-equipment bay") serves for the rapid re-deployment and usually contains the most essential equipment: protection covers for rotors, engines and cockpit, basic diagnostic tools and other service equipment. During the test runs and trials this bay contains the telemetric equipment. As well it may contain some mission equipment or additional combat/reconnaissance electronics. Yes, theoretically it can serve as compartment for the assigned technician or person who need to be evacuated, but it's not the original and main purpose what it has been developed for.

Fianally, let's think in this way - how often you need to evacuate the pilots or another persons by the combat helicopters(especially if you have a specialized rescue ones) to make such a bay with that purpose at the first place in your mind? Very-very rare. And how often you need to rapidly re-deploy the helicopters and their essential equipment? Constantly, even if you aren't at war, but for the regular drills or maneuvers.

The bad thing about Internet is that myths here are spreading with the speed of light. :( Copy and Paste - and now many of sources are repeating the same wrong information.

The strange thing is if its just a myth, why would the company that builds the helicopter set it up that the helicopter can transport 2-3 passengers on its home page.

Here we got a link to the MIL moscow helicopter plant page describing the MI 28, and it stands that it can transport 2-3 people in that compartment, its designed so it can transport these people but it rarely happen for obvious reasons.

http://www.mi-helicopter.ru/eng/index.php?id=226

But never mind, this isnt anything about the game so this is the last time I posted something about the MI 28s compartment on this thread, if you want to continue send it in pm, :)

Edited by paecmaker

Cross fingers that BIS will improve and add some working unmanned systems eg "Aerosonde SUAS" and a similar vehicle for OPFOR. Any news on functional sensor/radar/EW for surveillance and targeting would be nice. I don't think that it would be very authentic to have all those advanced/modern stuff in A3 but still beeing stuck with certain technology in WW2 or Vietnam war era.

The strange thing is if its just a myth, why would the company that builds the helicopter set it up that the helicopter can transport 2-3 passengers on its home page.

Here we got a link to the MIL moscow helicopter plant page describing the MI 28, and it stands that it can transport 2-3 people in that compartment, its designed so it can transport these people but it rarely happen for obvious reasons.

http://www.mi-helicopter.ru/eng/index.php?id=226

Because there is a '*' symbol with the remark below - "в отÑеке радиооборудованиÑ" - "in the electornic-equipment bay". :cool: And because some people are very subjective to abilities of their products. :) I told you - i saw this bay, and no way i will fly in it with another 1-2 person...or only if this will be a beautiful girls - because taking into account dimesions of this bay, the contact between the passengers should be...well...very close, and even closer. :yay:

BTW, i wonder why is the Boeing didn't write the same in Apache description - "can transport up to 2 passengers", with the same tiny star of comment "attached somewhere between the engines and Hellfires". What an incredible advertising it would be - for the one of the most respected combat heli in the world. :)

A_good_Idea__by_Crewshay.jpg

bus.jpg

Edited by FeoFUN

Those are grab rails on the Apache are designed in, they're also for retrieval of up to four fellow pilots. Using them to ferry troops in a combat role obviously wasn't the design intent, just spur of the moment ingenuity. The troop transport aspect of the compartment in the Mi-28 is probably there for the same reason: to retrieve and evacuate downed wingmen.

I agree, if you want to live - you will fly even attached yourself to the ATGM' pylon or wherever you can. But this fact doesn't turn the "electronic-equipment bay" into the "2-3 person passenger compartment".

I agree, if you want to live - you will fly even attached yourself to the ATGM' pylon or wherever you can. But this fact doesn't turn the "electronic-equipment bay" into the "2-3 person passenger compartment".

If you were bleeding to death your last concern would be comfortable first class seating.

EXPLICIT CONTENT REMOVED

Edited by Max Power

Actually people, i just noticed that in the faction's description, it says the Greek resistance use captured or stolen assets from the Iranian armed forces. So there is still hope. But then again it looks like the primary assault rifle for the US at least is the f2000. So unfortunately i don't think BIS did much thinking there. I'm surprised, they knew the scar was advanced and may be a replacement for the m4 and so implemented it into operation arrowhead... but it seems they haven't thought it through for Arma 3. Unless of course it is an improved variant 20 years down the line, but there's little chance of that.

maybe i should of added when i said about the havoc having a ""passenger compartment" that its not seats you just lie in a space

probably of saved 2-3 pages worth of roundabouts discussion lol

Actually people, i just noticed that in the faction's description, it says the Greek resistance use captured or stolen assets from the Iranian armed forces. So there is still hope. But then again it looks like the primary assault rifle for the US at least is the f2000. So unfortunately i don't think BIS did much thinking there. I'm surprised, they knew the scar was advanced and may be a replacement for the m4 and so implemented it into operation arrowhead... but it seems they haven't thought it through for Arma 3. Unless of course it is an improved variant 20 years down the line, but there's little chance of that.

Or maybe BIS is trolling us, when the game comes out its totally other weapons and vehicles :p

we arent playing as just the US army you know. its NATO

besides i would think the f2000 some what "futuristic" looking to suit the near future setting(plus its also called the mk. XX maybe some upgraded version thats better then the f2000)

maybe i should of added when i said about the havoc having a ""passenger compartment"

There is no 'passenger compartment' on Mi-28 - with or without seats. Only rear electronic-equipment bay.

Otherwise, we should describe the baggage boot of this car on photo as a '2-person passenger compartment'. But this is not the case.

080811+Georgians+fleeing+in+zhiguli.jpg

There is no 'passenger compartment' on Mi-28 - with or without seats. Only rear electronic-equipment bay.

Otherwise, we should describe the baggage boot of this car on photo as a '2-person passenger compartment'. But this is not the case.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mdxJXcDj7k8/SN0L-y8jPCI/AAAAAAAAAE0/WaOlJvRvhcc/s400/080811+Georgians+fleeing+in+zhiguli.jpg

Except that the manufacturer recognizes it as a passenger compartment by saying you can put 2 - 3 people in it.

if it really doesnt then why do Mil themselves say it does?

Mil didn't say it - i already translated what he actually say and how described this bay.

In English version it's an "aft bay". In Russian original - "отÑек радиооборудованиÑ" - "radio-equipement bay". But really, it's called "rear electronic-equipment bay". And no word passenger in both version.

yea cause you shove downed pilots in there in need of rescue. they arent passengers as such

like the ah-64..they dont say it can carry passengers, but 2 can sit on the side

You can be a passenger even sitting at the Abrams turret or engine's cover behind it - but it doesn't mean that Abrams have a 'passenger compartment'. Is it so hard to understand?

You can be a passenger even sitting at the Abrams turret or engine's cover behind it - but it doesn't mean that Abrams have a 'passenger compartment'. Is it so hard to understand?

seriously, why the fuck would the makers of the helicopter themselves say it can be used to rescue downed pilots if, as you say, it cant?