purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

I detect that PurePassion is going to be joining the forces of the beer lift soon in some fashion.

oO yup, as a fanboy

oO yup, as a fanboy

but sadly I couldn't get the right textformat to work.

customer_bisdvjxd.png

This looks rather stupid :D

;)

hi folks I am recent convert from the Battlefail 3 statserbater franchise and i have just recently got arma 2 to play this mod and while doing some research on the upcoming A3 came across this post and just wanted to add my 2 P .

I f BIS is doing a game based in the future 2035 than i would suggest having a look at current tech.....because 2035 might look alot different and i say that because look at the fast evolution during ww2... the Germans started with light tanks bolt action rifles and were still using horses.

6 years later they had huge main battle tanks, assult rifles, jet fighters and recon aircraft , cruise missiles the start of ICBM's air to air missiles SAM's and the type 21 sub which i believe was what the Russians based there whiskey and Zulu class subs on.

now if we look at some of the current tech out (videos i have posted) it is a 50/50 shot that the 2035 might look a lot like mech warrior than what BIS has in mind...that being said i will buy it no matter what ....because it is modable made for PC and does not seem Tobe getting watered down for the console set :)

Technically all their weapons are pretty much "against their ideology". The U.S.S.R. supplied large amounts of arms to the Baath party in Iraq, and while much has been forgotten in light of Iran's much needed military help from Russia. The fact still stands that it was against, and still is against their ideology to purchase Russian weapons. Russia's involvement in Chechnya, and Dagestan has left Iran in a very uncomfortable position, while at the same time they are helping fund/train the Mujahedin fighting against the Russians, they also need the Russian help to arm themselves against the inevitable Israeli/U.S. invasion. So they retain a public stance of being in support of Russia's illegal invasion of Chechnya, while pretending to be tough on them behind the scene's so their Muslim brothers wont call them on their bluff.

So as one would imagine the need far outweighs any ideological preference Iran might have.

However Iran does not have the same tactics nor the same geography as the Israeli's, and the Merkava seems like it was designed to fill a specific role, the defense of Israel.

Israel:

Area:total: 20,770 sq km

land: 20,330 sq km

water: 440 sq km

Iran:

Area:total: 1.648 million sq km

land: 1.636 million sq km

water: 12,000 sq km

There is little chance that Iran would find efficient use for the Merkava given the large differences in their geography..

The Merkava was to be ushered out of service in 2006 shortly before the Lebanon war, and while this decision was ultimately overridden by Israeli General Staff, their decision still must make it evident that this machines lifespan is limited. Thereby making it quite unlikely that 10-20 years in the future we will still be using such a piece of hardware. Especially Iran who requires much more maneuverability of their tanks then the Israeli's. Not to mention if the Iranians are going to be the "offensive" nation the Merkava is not what they would likely use. The Iranian MBT currently is 36–41 tonnes, while the Merkava is 65 tonnes, that is a big difference when you are moving through the mountains of Iran. Remember Iran is the 18th largest country in the world in terms of area, so their tactics would be nothing like the IDF, especially when mounting a massive assault on the Greek Islands. Iran's current military budget would NEVER account for such an expensive tank as the Merkava anyways, $9.174 billion 2.7% GDP IRAN vs $14.5 billion 6.9% GDP ISRAEL. That is quite the monetary difference, even if it might not look that big, just one look at the size of Israel will quickly put some doubt into the ideas that Iran is anywhere close to developing a sophisticated tank like the Merkava, and most certainly wouldn't be mass producing them as their MBT. While I am not aware of the technical specs of the Zulfiqar, it looks like its quite some years behind all other MBT, and yet Iran still produced 1613 in 2010. Meaning they still consider this tank as technically capable on the field, which in all reality is very unlikely judging by the targeting systems employed in most MBT.

So altogether I am thinking both tactics, monetary investment in military, technical, and engineering prowess, geography, and ultimately Iranian desires for the Middle East would make them ever using the Merkava very unlikely.

The current estimates of Iran's engineering, and software designing capability's are far below what would be required to operate, and facilitate advanced military hardware anyways. They seem to all directly contradict the idea of Iran using an any advanced hardware anytime soon. From what I have read the majority of analysis's have come to the obvious conclusion that Iran would, and will fight unconventional warfare. The Lebanon war was an example of what modern conflicts of the future will hold in store, the use of military facility's closely knit with civilian one's will make Arial bombardments almost impossible without heavy civilian casualty's. The war will almost 100% certainly devolve into insurgency style street fighting as we saw in Iraq, but with a much stronger civilian backing, mimicking the strong resistance found in Lebanon. In light of these obvious assessments of Iran's military, I have no clue why BIS would make this decision. Not only does giving Iran's military advanced hardware seem unlikely, but it ruins the tactical "collage" that the "insurgent" style Opfor brought to Arma 2. I personally am a big fan of fighting against superior forces with just by AK-47, and some IED's.

Iran does use advanced technology though, they R&D their own missiles, launch satellites into orbit, produce home built laser guided munitions and tons of other stuff. But these materials usually end up in the hands of the 150,000 strong revolutionary guards corps because of budget constraints. Imagine if their budget was expanded severely after this coup, keeping in mind it was a military coup.

Right now they're even outfitting their Sea Cobra's with electronic HUD systems and their submarines have touch interface controls instead of manual controls.

This is possible and Iran possesses the technology but overall it is budget constraints.

Secondly, Irans tactics aren't Insurgent based. They have a battle structure geared towards desert warfare and mountain warfare, with some urban units.

Which is why they havent armed their entire force with old AKM's and no personal gear at all such as Saddam did, why would they use MARPAT desert and chocolate chip patterns over cheap one colour uniforms?

Edited by zamani532

Well I sincerely hope more members of this awesome community are given full time work at BIS. They got some nice job openings right now, Encoder, artists, creative designer.

If only I had more braiiinnnns maybe I could put my efforts to something more nice....

zamani532

Please check your images sizes before you decide to hotlink them. Please just link to the URL if it's over 100 kb instead.

+1 warning for large images.

§15) Do not hotlink images over 100kb (102400 bytes) in size

Do not link images over 100kb using the IMG tags to display an image in your post. If you wish to post an image larger then 100 kb feel free to post the URL instead of hotlinking.

What I find most bizzare is that Israel isn't mentioned in the general plot. I can accept that it would be politically tricky to do, but if you already get the whole Iran vs NATO thing going, Israel needs a mentioning. After all, you can't mention Iran without saying something about Israel :P

I'd like to see Israel being mentioned in some way and I'd realy like to see what BI invisioned happening to it in their storyline.

I'm usually not a story authenticity nazi, but I find the concept of the campaign laughable and completely far off from what is most likely to happen. It will probably be very fun though.

I'm usually not a story authenticity nazi, but I find the concept of the campaign laughable and completely far off from what is most likely to happen. It will probably be very fun though.

perhaps we could have Americans fighting Russians in a subway in france?....nah ..never mind that makes no sense either :rolleyes:

as for my original post (wouldnt let me put links up ) here is what i meant by the furture looking more like Mech warrior

and the mod that got me into arma

http://www.invasion-1944.com

CPATCHA with every post?

I'm really happy with the fact that now it'll be a futuristic game, I've tried to create some futuristic addons in the past and I'd say it can be even more challenging. Futurisctic Arma can be a very realistic game, I mean, a playe won't have to take 200 shoot in the head to die as in most futuristic games. Actually I consider it as a sci-fi atmosphere. With the new features I see in the next Arma 3 I think that I'll be able to finish those sci-fi addons i couldn't in the past.

I think some ppl say that sci-fi or futuristic games are not realism, but consider old ways as realistic (like napoleonic), well I just say it is the same, just different environment. If you use a old napoleonic bolt rifle or an WW2 rifle or a contemporary rifle or a futuristic rifle, it is the same if the result is realistic: 1 or 2 shoots and you are dead... the gameplay is still the same.

I don't know, I find 'futuristic military game' far more palatable then Sci-Fi as it's genre title - but thats just me :o

Hi, the authenticity for me means:

- Good destruction models (vehicles & enviroment).

- Accurate weapon models.

- Good weapon sounds.

- Gravity and wind.

- Good enviroment effects (rain, clouds, sand storms).

- Good textures.

- Not overdone effects.

- Solid plausible history.

- Logic interaction.

We can't say what of all this, what more or what less will the ArmA3 have as there's a long way before it gets released; i think that the ArmA3 gonna be authentic enough but that's just my opinion and that have the same value than the opinion of any other, equal... zero. The facts are what matter. Let's C ya

I'm really happy with the fact that now it'll be a futuristic game, I've tried to create some futuristic addons in the past and I'd say it can be even more challenging. Futurisctic Arma can be a very realistic game, I mean, a playe won't have to take 200 shoot in the head to die as in most futuristic games. Actually I consider it as a sci-fi atmosphere. With the new features I see in the next Arma 3 I think that I'll be able to finish those sci-fi addons i couldn't in the past.

I think some ppl say that sci-fi or futuristic games are not realism, but consider old ways as realistic (like napoleonic), well I just say it is the same, just different environment. If you use a old napoleonic bolt rifle or an WW2 rifle or a contemporary rifle or a futuristic rifle, it is the same if the result is realistic: 1 or 2 shoots and you are dead... the gameplay is still the same.

We know what a M1 garand can do we know what abrams or tiger tank can do but we dont know what future(istic) will do because...well there not here yet and I think you have tobe careful with going futuristc because soon you will be playing ArmAHalo.

There are PLENTY of Modern weapons now that make things interesting in ArmA3.

perhaps we could have Americans fighting Russians in a subway in france?....nah ..never mind that makes no sense either :rolleyes:

as for my original post (wouldnt let me put links up ) here is what i meant by the furture looking more like Mech warrior

and the mod that got me into arma

http://www.invasion-1944.com

CPATCHA with every post?

I honestly think that a chinese rise to power is more possible than an iranian rise to power. The only thing holding the chinese idea back is the DR game and BIS's hipster attitude about it.

Are the butterfly, seagull and olive tree comparisons there to make sure we're not inventing sci-fi variants? :eek:

Ok, about the olive trees, one thing that's been bugging me since the first screenshot I saw them in.

They're totally wrong. They just seem unnatural, like they are inside out or something, and that's because the branches are probably set on the tree model the wrong way.

What I find most bizzare is that Israel isn't mentioned in the general plot. I can accept that it would be politically tricky to do, but if you already get the whole Iran vs NATO thing going, Israel needs a mentioning. After all, you can't mention Iran without saying something about Israel :P

I'd like to see Israel being mentioned in some way and I'd realy like to see what BI invisioned happening to it in their storyline.

Well, I'd expect Israel to NOT be invaded, and of course Israel hosts the talks that result in the Jerusalem Peace Accords of 2034. Not to mention NATO (especially the U.S.) wouldn't under any circumstances let Israel fall to Iran. Look at my last post in the ArmAverse fan fiction thread. I posted up my own take on the new ArmA3 Europe map (mine shows more, including Israel)

I honestly think that a chinese rise to power is more possible than an iranian rise to power. The only thing holding the chinese idea back is the DR game and BIS's hipster attitude about it.

I seem to recall some mention of China as well... Remember the ARG?

Yeah, China is overtaking the U.S. in the Pacific, (but I don't think they're at war?) and Iran is mostly Europe's problem.

I'm curious as to where Chernarus is on the new ArmA3 map. I know we're talking about ArmA3's authenticity, and geographically, ArmA3 is realistic and authentic. But where are the fictional islands and terrains (Chernarus, Takistan) in the ArmA3 world?

I'm curious as to where Chernarus is on the new ArmA3 map. I know we're talking about ArmA3's authenticity, and geographically, ArmA3 is realistic and authentic. But where are the fictional islands and terrains (Chernarus, Takistan) in the ArmA3 world?

I think Chernarus is along the coast of the Caspian Sea, and the others are somewhere in the Atlantic, there maybe something a bit more specific out there but I think BIS always left it a bit lose.

Of course, that part of the Caspian coastline looks more like Florida than Bohemia. I'm not sure why we think structural geology is easier to change than human borders and languages.

About Iran using Israeli tanks. Iran at this very day have the capability of reverse engineering almost every foreign weapon or machinery they get their hands on, not excluding the UAV which they hacked while it was spying over their territory. I'm sure the Iranians won't lose any sleep over using Iranian-modified Israeli technology if it can help them in any way.