Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Lost v 4.0 - Like a mash-up of 'Dogs of War' and 'Manhattan' (without the bugs)!

Nothing big really, ASR is cutomized only via changes in hpp in userconfig. Mostly rearming is turned off, but this is because of another self-maded addon for loot gathering, that is not used in "Lost" by me. Trivial stuff, not serious changes. Code is intact. I haven't problems, that you described, also with rearming active, so can't tell, if and how ASR is somehow involved.

Ha, I just went to try and isolate the issue and at some point after removing and re-enabling the set of mods/restarting the mission I can't get it to fail to take intel/etc anymore :)

Version 5.5

- new : ability to disable color effect shader from weather module. new Weather menu in COMMS-> General menu (0-8-6). This should help with those few where its pitch black all the time.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Ha, I just went to try and isolate the issue and at some point after removing and re-enabling the set of mods/restarting the mission I can't get it to fail to take intel/etc anymore :)

well, just to give you some info, the gather loot action on corpses is dependent on the corpse having weapons on it. So if some other script is adding weapons/magazines to units you may see some erratic behavior. I run CBA but not ASR and I dont ever have weird issues with these actions...

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

See my signature - Nice_Boat's Tank Damage System. Similar to ACE's in values, but only script-based and simplified replacer for default hitpoint-based tank damage, that should work for all vanilla and OA armored and anti-armor content.

Nice, may look into that.

I also notice the AI artillery mod. Do you think that would be something useable in my Apocalypse mission where it is AI intensive and I would want AI just to "know" to use Artillery on each other?

FAW Artillery mod is designed such a way, that should work with any mission, where is placed vanilla artillery. One of its main goal is simplicity of use. I can't be sure, but probably FAW should work fine as long, as CPU isn't overloaded to much. It's code however needs some of my attention (someday, not easy find time for this, because of other, more important to me projects) - there is field for improvements, especially code optimization. I created this script, when knew much less, than now. However I guess, that effect will be great, if this will work properly. If not - there is also quite similar blakeace's AI arty mod. Anyway, if you want to implement into yours mission AI arty - then I say you only: YES! This will be awesome, so do this! :)

This may be a silly question, but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. Is it possible to change which factions are considered friendly or enemy during the mission setup? I'd love to play as Russian vs. Takistani but I can't figure out how to make Russia a "friendly". Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: I bought ArmA2 after seeing a friend play this mission - thank you Mark!

Wow. I'm not sure there could be a better compliment than that.

As for playing with different factions. In lost you are limited to playing only a west or guerilla faction.

In my newer mission apocalypse you can have much more choices and play as Russia. However since takistan and Russia are both east (opfor) they will always be allied. You could download mods like Iranian forces to give you a takistan like foe for Russia however.

Question, how useful is giving a west or guer version of Russia and takistan? I would probably hesitate to do it for russia since there are so many Addons that give more Russian forces and if I give a west version of the bis Russians I'd have to do config version of a lot of other Addons

Oh something else you could try in apocalypse is make east and west allied and use the takistan guerillas as the enemy.

Anyway I'm rambling. Thanks for the feedback!

A questions about initial screens in newer versions: if I set:

1. "share" of BLUFOR eg: USMC - 2, USMS vehicles 1, same for US and CDF, also similar for OPFOR: RU and Chedaki, and leave "0" for every civilian, what exactly will be effect if next:

2. I'm still choosing how many will be OPFOR vehicle groups, infantry, and so on, eg 15 veh, 4 air and 100 inf (so share between OPFOR foot and vehs is here not 1/2, as set in first screen, but about 1/6)?

And what gives "0" for civilians, if after that civilians still are wandering around towns, as usual? If I leave 0 everywhre, will I play on empty map regardless of setting on second screen? Is this explained in details somewhere (not found in readme)?

I've found air/vehicles are still spawned even if the shares for "side - vehicles" are set to 0, so they still get pulled from somewhere (IME it will pull the side - vehicles for the selected infantry side). The shares I thought were auto-divided if possible - so you if you set 12 friendly groups and split them 50/50 between usmc and us army in any combination (1:1, 5739503:5739503, etc) then 6 will be of one and 6 the other.

I have a couple of other questions about the (fantastic :)) mod -

1) is there somewhere in the Zero or Lost thread a more detailed explanation of the group/equipment editor? I figured out the basics of controlling high command groups but I'm a bit stuck when it comes to more complicated things like team switching between them and pulling group compositions around. Is there some way to pull a high command group into your own personal squad I've missed? There is a bit of frustration factor in being right next to a blue friendly medic while injured and have him sit there dumbly while I also sit there dumbly.

2) I was wondering if it's possible to perhaps make the arrival of enemy partisans from searched houses a bit more fluid. I've run into a few groups that have literally spawned in the middle of the road, in sight, metres from my player/group and done significant damage before I even realise what's up. Is it possible to announce that they have arrived somehow, or spawn them somewhere that isn't in line-of-sight to the player? Have them emerge from inside a building? Make them disembark from a vehicle or something? I don't mind being wiped out by partisans - it's a really nice touch - but I think perhaps the way they're introduced could be a bit better than materialising suddenly.

Thanks for info.

I noticed two strange things in new version:

1. Often at the beginning I get message, that objective "destroy enemy airpower" is completed;

2. It is probably intended, but still strange: not matters, where I'm starting, when I'm closing to first town, or even village, around start swarm of enemies. Once I killed at least 40-50 before I thought, that this become slowly "boring" :) and give up, because still was coming new groups... Eventually I get suspicions, that this wave will not end, until all groups from whole map come here to kill me. :)

In summary there are certain things that the mission must have in order to function so if you don't choose any civilians the game will pick a default civilian faction on its own based on the terrain. Woodland it picks chernarus civs, desert picks takistani.

Like said above the numbers for each side are just used to establish ratios. So a 2 for USMC and CDF gives you the same effect as 99 for USMC and CDF : roughly 50% division between the two.

Now also realize that "vehicle" factions and "infantry" factions are compared separately against each other as well. So the game figures the vehicle ratio just comparing the vehicle factions' numbers. And like you surmised, Rydygier, the actual distro between foot patrols and vehicle patrols are establish on the second screen

Understand that numbers established for friendlies have no effect on the numbers you set for enemy factions. Each sides ratios are figured out separately within their side

If you leave out something like don't select any vehicle faction, again, the mission has defaults based on terrain. USMC, RUS, and napa for woodland, takistan, us army, and takistan guerillas for desert.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

To pull a group into yours select the group in high command and use the COMMS menu option, I think it 0 8 1 then group join player

The team switching options I left in because they were included in domz's mod but honestly I hardly use them if I am using high command since the AI starts going nuts when you switch

When enemy partisans are formed its all random where they are spawned other than it's centered on a house location. I use some code to figure a safe location for them to spawn but sometimes that puts them out in the street a little awamy from the door. I figure that's better then them spawning inside a house and dying immediately from the collision logic. So in larger towns you will most likely not see them spawn since there are so many possible locations they could spawn. Sorry that they sometimes popup suddenly but it's a give and take between complexity of code and realism I had to settle on.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Thanks for info.

I noticed two strange things in new version:

1. Often at the beginning I get message, that objective "destroy enemy airpower" is completed;

2. It is probably intended, but still strange: not matters, where I'm starting, when I'm closing to first town, or even village, around start swarm of enemies. Once I killed at least 40-50 before I thought, that this become slowly "boring" :) and give up, because still was coming new groups... Eventually I get suspicions, that this wave will not end, until all groups from whole map come here to kill me. :)

If you select 0 air groups then it won't spawn any air groups and thus you will accomplish one of your bonus tasks of destroy all enemy airpower. That message is intended and you can see all your objectives on the map screen task list

The wave will finally end I assure you. You just got unlucky and spawned where the random logic put a bunch of enemy. There is some logic that says if there are no more active enemy running around it will uncache one of the enemy units outside the cache distance so that may explain the behavior you are seeing

Thanks for info. :) Still, I had chosen 4 air groups when got very early (about minute after launch) this message about accomplished destroying of enemy airpower (and I even didn't see any chopper yet, I suspect, that maybe these choppers for some reason are in this case destroyed/crashed? Choppers can do such things)...

OK. For now I'm back into my older Lost version, because new, with all used by me addons, is too heavy for my poor, weak CPU. Older work with them fine, in new - scripts, incuding CEMS' spells start to behave unreliable because of overload (exec delays) perhaps this is because of really great, but maybe heavy (?) RUBE's weather script? Not sure, maybe this is about some other code changes, but for sure - is heavier. This means for me also cyclic FPS drops (micro-lags). Maybe this is better... I prefer anyway do not have choose, who I am, and what exactly awaits me on map... Also, as for me, possibe here starting in boat gives player too big mobility advantage at start.

As for these enemy waves - I tried sevearal times, not sure, if always there was so numerous enemy, but always in first (not only first?) town, to which I close, enemy presence become more, than noticeable and for sure far greater, than is in older version with same settings. I suppose, that this should be in this way, maybe just now enemy is more concentrated in towns?

Enough of this. "Lost" awaits! :)

This is pretty neat, although I noticed something was immediately off when it seemed like the AI skill mod I was using seemed to have virtually no effect on the gameplay.

I don't suppose there's any way you'll release something that allows people not to have such mods infringed upon?

Very little chance when I have no idea in what way your AI mods are being infringed upon. You didn't really give me a lot to go on.

Very little chance when I have no idea in what way your AI mods are being infringed upon. You didn't really give me a lot to go on.

Basically all the stats governed by ASR_AI's settings config file, and respective cpp files.

Mine are custom and I mean technically I could transpose my data into one of the missions you've made so I can enjoy it to the fullest. I'm certainly not asking you to go out of your way personally for me.

Its a pretty integral part of your addon pbo file "createunit.sqf", pretty much conflicts with the values specified in the ASR_AI configuration file.

For example:

ASR_AI

class level_0 { // perfect (only used for testing)

aimingAccuracy[] = {1.00, 0.00};

aimingShake[] = {1.00, 0.00};

aimingSpeed[] = {1.00, 0.00};

spotDistance[] = {1.00, 0.00};

spotTime[] = {1.00, 0.00};

endurance[] = {1.00, 0.00};

courage[] = {1.00, 0.00};

reloadSpeed[] = {1.00, 0.00};

commanding[] = {1.00, 0.00};

general[] = {1.00, 0.00};

units[] = { // add class names to this to override their default (or inherited) skill set

};

LOST

case "PRIVATE":

{

_cep_myunit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", (PVT select 0)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["aimingShake", (PVT select 1)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["aimingSpeed", (PVT select 2)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["endurance", (PVT select 3)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["spotDistance", (PVT select 4)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["spotTime", (PVT select 5)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["courage", (PVT select 6)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["reloadSpeed", (PVT select 7)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["commanding", (PVT select 8)];

_cep_myunit setSkill ["general", (PVT select 9)];

};

Etc: PVT = [(0.2 + random 0.2), (0.2 + random 0.2), (0.2 + random 0.2), (0.2 + random 0.65), (0.2 + random 0.2), (0.2 + random 0.2), (0.2 + random 0.15),

I also think because you also seem to specify custom units in your cpp file, those may not inherit certain class alterations with ASR_AI either.

I don't know. I may have my work cut out for me if I want to do the little things I need to do to play it and enjoy it.

Its unfortunate for people who already use such a mod, but I suppose its comprehensive if nothing else in the event that one does not.

Yeah, I found ASR AI would eventually result in "too many virtual memory objects", sudden CTDs, sudden exit/reverts of the mission, etc, if you ran the mission for long enough in both Apocalypse and Lost. That was actually what was causing the earlier problem of losing middle mouse actions with ASR running - they did work ... they would just execute the script in about 5 minutes from when you clicked the button! And it would just get progressively slower and slower and eventually crash. So I just gave up on making ASR work with these missions entirely. Both seem to work fine on their own though.

Yeah, I found ASR AI would eventually result in "too many virtual memory objects", sudden CTDs, sudden exit/reverts of the mission, etc, if you ran the mission for long enough in both Apocalypse and Lost. That was actually what was causing the earlier problem of losing middle mouse actions with ASR running - they did work ... they would just execute the script in about 5 minutes from when you clicked the button! And it would just get progressively slower and slower and eventually crash. So I just gave up on making ASR work with these missions entirely. Both seem to work fine on their own though.

I'm so OCD about my custom stats that I "sensed" a difference in the behavior of the AI after playing it for a few minutes, I was like: "Wait, this thing comes with an addon too doesn't it..."

A vanilla version that just dumps some garden variety bis units or addon units or whatever would be cool, but I see you did go to a lot of trouble to implement that system, so either way, its pretty damn cool.

And it isn't as if I can't do it up the way I need to, it would just be basically recreating my ASR stats specific for that mission.

Today returned to this problem:

Still, I had chosen 4 air groups when got very early (about minute after launch) this message about accomplished destroying of enemy airpower (and I even didn't see any chopper yet, I suspect, that maybe these choppers for some reason are in this case destroyed/crashed? Choppers can do such things)...

Played wit older version after this message quite long, and not noticed any enemy chopper. So this time returned to newest version.

Prepared simply reporting code, that sets marker for each air unit on map cyclically (each 5 seconds) plus gives some info into my RPT.

After some time are founded two air units, both empty and on ground, not damaged, and that's it. Was chosen 6 air groups.

So this is problem with both Lost versions and probably it is because something, that I did (haven't idea, what...), because earlier there was enemy choppers with same settings, I know this, because these flying bastards killed me many times :) ... So now I'm wondering, what is the name of script in .pbo responsible for generating air patrols to investigate this issue and/or what may cause, that Lost will not generate any chopper?

BTW. Last time got same message for enemy armor power, but I guess, that this is random, and there is a chance, that there will be not any enemy armor on map...

EDIT: Just tried with unchanged in any way mission, without any other addon except provided with this mission - same effect. So this is not about anything, that I or some addon did. This is something with mission itself, I think. But, as I said, previously this worked. I'm simply LOST. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Ok I'll check it out. stuff like this is normally repeatable.

Will need to know:

- What island

- What factions you choose in first dialog

- What numbers in second dialog

You give me this it will take very little to fix.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

I'm able to reproduce. will fix asap.

Edited by markb50k

Nice mission markb50k!! Overall i cant really complain but i have some suggestion to make it better.

1. I dont really like the search houses and get random enemy spawned concept, maybe because it's not really tactical to me. How about raiding guard posts, enemy patrols, road blocks, armory, camps and etc to find items instead of searching houses. This way you can recon the area and plan your attack properly.

2. Recruiting volunteers can be done by raising the town affinity toward you, after the town have increase to certain point then you get recruits from there.

3. Units experience - I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be great if after certain numbers of kills your units will level up/ have better stats. Gives you more incentive to bring them to battle and let them do the killing.

4. Gain skill - Maybe adding random mission where you can learn skills like lockpick or repair added to you.

5. Enemy air - Once i manage to find a M1 tank and i saw there's enemy hind in the air, after i shoot it down i notice it keep coming every 5-10min even after i shot like 4 of them =( . I dont think the enemy can send that many reinforcement at 1 time.

6. Military Vehicles - I dont like the idea of finding random empty tanks on the map, how about you find it on deserted military camps or captured by the enemy. this way, you need to raid the enemy camps to get better vehicles or ambush enemy patrols and repair it.

overall it's a great mission, thanks for a job well done =D

I'm able to reproduce. will fix asap.

Great! If still needed - this was Chernaruss map, tried with at least three force proportions on first screen, one was all 0, another: USMC, US Army, CDF equal share, also relevant vehicles, OPFOR RU and Chedaki set same way. Third I'm not sure, but probably similar, but CDF and Chedaki ratios was doubled. On second screen tried with deafult settings, and, once, with raised air power to 6 groups.

3. Units experience - I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be great if after certain numbers of kills your units will level up/ have better stats. Gives you more incentive to bring them to battle and let them do the killing.

It is possible. Made such thing in my very first serious "coding experience" ("Rusty Sands" mission) for player's team members. It was done via handle damage event handlers (experience was given for each hit, depending on target's skill, damage, distance, target's speed, attacker speed and, inversely, on attacker current experience), but in quite inefficient way, also mostly sqs, it can be done in better manner, I guess. BTW used same code for some bounty money gain for each kill depending on damage, rating and skill of target, but there was opportunity to spend these money on ammo, weaponry or mercs.

Edited by Rydygier

Version 5.6

- fix : Sometimes when skipping through # groups dialog, helicopter groups not formed.

Ryd's error was one that doesnt happen most of the time, but if you quickly select continue at the # groups dialog, some code that is needed to figure out where to put helicopters hasnt been run yet. Fixed that possiblity. Thanks!

I'm seeing a weird issue on Lost Chernarus - I'm up to about 30 men now, but often go out in a small group in a UAZ to scout about and try to hit patrols in the open. This past time I shot past a patrol I didn't see till the last moment, then trying to turn quickly I hit a bush and came to a complete stop. I cranked into reverse expecting to be taking lots of fire, but noticed no one was shooting. The patrol wasn't shooting at me... my guy on the grenade launcher wasn't shooting at them...

So I rolled forward and ran over the last guy in line. Nothing. I ran over another couple and the patrol spread out and dived to the floor as if they were looking for the enemy. Then another group appeared in the distance, (I presume they were reacting to the unit killed signal), and my gunner started firing the grenade launcher at them, but they didn't shoot back. I continued to drive about, drawing no fire, then got out and wandered over to one of the prone enemy and shot him in the head from about a yard.

At which point all the remaining enemy turned and shot me dead.

I then repeated the exercise in a big Ural truck - I could drive up to patrols and run them over with no response. I could get out of the truck and run about and no one bothered with me. But then if I shot someone everyone instantly woke up to me and I'd be quickly dead.

my only guess is that they are having a hard time detecting you. when you shoot one of them, there is a "reveal" command used in the unit kill script.

Other than setting AI skill when they are created and giving them waypoints, I dont change the way they think or react, so I dont think its anything specific to LOST. I think it may be specific to any mission where you have alot of units running around, maybe the engine cuts down on how often the enemy is detecting you.

I've read on the wiki that AI is generally poor at detecting at any direction other than right in front of them. To test this perhaps run right in front of them to see if they see you.

But in summary, I'm sorry to say, that I have no idea why the AI periodically acts like idiots and cant do the basic things like shoot, move, communicate on their own... but i dont have any reason to think its my code.

Hi Markb50k!

can you add the BW-compilation and AMT to LOST,or atleast give me a direction,how to do for myself??

Thanks

Roady

I dont want to establish a habit of adding new content to LOST for a couple of reasons..

1. The code to add a new faction to LOST is ALOT more laborious than Apocalypse...

2. Friendly factions play such a smaller role in the mission, you get less bang for the buck for the effort it takes to add them in.

3. If you really want to see those guys in action, i recommend playing Apocalypse and you will get alot more enjoyment seeing your requested mods in action.

But since those two mods are pretty small I'll put em in...

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Version 5.7

- new addon : BWCompilation Mod (Bundeswehr), ATM Mod (Bundeswehr)

(Untested but a real small change) - Let me know if i fat-fingered something.. Thanks

I'm doing some further code customization to better fit things to my tastes, but mostly for better performance on my weak CPU, but one issue still eludes me. On Chernaruss map with default settings, after hint about finished mission initialisation there are half second micro-lags every 5 second (5-6 or more fps drop, eg. from 20 to 15). This is really annoying, makes play, especially fights, quite frustrating because of cyclically disturbed fluency. In older version there wasn't such problem even with more additional addons, so this is about some newly added stuff. Any idea, what may causing this? I looked into probably every file checking for some heavy loops, adjusted all, that I found (some looped calls replaced with spawns, added some sleeps, RUBE weather replaced with far simplier and light makeshift weather "dynamizer", disabled some routines, as looking for nearest door to show up "search" action - now is always visible, and such stuff...), but this problem is still present...