Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Lost v 4.0 - Like a mash-up of 'Dogs of War' and 'Manhattan' (without the bugs)!

Title: Lost

Type: SP Mission

Side / Role: West / Various

Version: 5.7

Arma2 Version: CO 1.60

Date: 2012-07-09

Addons: (included in ZIP)

Author: markb50k

Features:

LOST now merged into the APOCALYPSE mission as a selectable MODE. Please go here to get LOST.

APOCALYPSE Thread

Previous versions:

Version 5.7

- new addon : BWCompilation Mod (Bundeswehr), ATM Mod (Bundeswehr)

Version 5.6

- fix : Sometimes when skipping through # groups dialog, helicopter groups not formed.

Version 5.5

- new : ability to disable color effect shader from weather module. new Weather menu in COMMS-> General menu (0-8-6). This should help with those few where its pitch black all the time.

Version 5.3

- tweak : "Search House" action should be available when teamswitched to another unit

Version 5.2

- bug fix : error when trying to load Iran vehicles as OPFOR

Version 5.1

- bug fix : weather module color filter was losing reference to handle

- bug fix : script error when transferring gear automatically from corpses

- tweak : performance tweak for transfer gear script

Version 5.0

- faction : CSLA mod's AFMC (ally)

- faction : CSLA mod's FIA (ally)

- faction : CSLA Czech army (enemy)

- new : implements RUBE's dynamic weather engine

- new : current weather conditions and weather forecast available in COMMS-> General menu (0- 8 - 6)

- new : Skip 1 hour function adjusts weather as well

Version 4.98

- fix : mission hangs on restart after faction selection

Version 4.97

- island : Emita

- faction : Lingor Gov't, Lingor Police, Lingor Mercs (ally)

- faction : ARL Rebels, Drug Gangs (enemy)

- tweak : new system for being sighted in towns. Removed the 'reveal' command and now the location is just added to a rolling list of locations that nearby enemy groups investigate. Gives the same repurcussions for hanging around in unfriendly villages but not a god-like penalty.

- tweak : generally lowers AI skill levels to show greater variance between Privates and Colonels. This will only affect newly spawned soldiers. Any soldiers currently alive in your scenario will be running under their current skill level.

Version 4.96

- island : CLAfghan

- new addon : MARKB50K_Config_Chechen (gives you option to have Chechen's as OPFOR)

- faction : Iran Forces Mod (Iran is INDEPENDENT so they are treated as ally in game, BUT read on....)

- faction : National Liberation Army from Iran Forces Mod (NLA is OPFOR, BUT read on...)

- new addon : MARKB50K_Config_Iran (gives you option to have Iran as OPFOR and NLA as ally. If you run this addon you can technically have these faction on both sides of the battle)

- faction : Icewindo's Post Apocalypse factions (Resistance and Scavengers)

- new : on Faction Selection screen, you can see the included Vehicle names as well, for Friendly, Enemy, and Civilian factions

Version 4.95

- faction : Stagler's GRU

- faction : Stagler's FSB

- faction : Stagler's Modern Naval Infantry

- faction : cmp's Modern Russian Mechanized Infantry

Version 4.94

- ALL islands support ALL factions.

- island : Tora Bora

- faction : OFrP (added FELIN, G3, ISAF factions)

- faction : Project CDF (updated to newest version)

- faction : Project RACS

- faction : Chechen Rebels

- faction : Australians at War

- faction : Bundeswehr Mod (German Army)

- fix : High Command wasnt working (if you started a game using the last version 4.92/4.93 where the bug was produced, you'll need a restart to get this fix)

Version 4.92

In a word - FREEDOM!

- Now any Lost-supported faction in your loaded mods can be added to the mission on ANY ISLAND. Its your choice. Want to fight Cold War Rearmed Soviets vs Operation Frenchpoint? How about Takistan and Molatia vs Afrene and BAF? Its up to you.

- ALL islands support ALL factions.

- island : Jade Groove

- island : Isola Di Capraia

- island : Nicosia

- island : Tasmania 2010

- island : Tigeria

- island : Tropica

- island : Qom Province

- faction : OFrP (French Army, desert, woodland, and UN factions)

- faction : Project CDF (both CDF and Peoples Republic of South Zagoria (PRSZ))

- new : You can now choose your starting character class from the lists of the detected friendly factions as well. you are now not limited to the Force Recon Team Leader as before.

Version 4.91:

- NEW : Finnish Defense Forces now automatically included on all non-desert islands if mod loaded

- NEW : PMC now automatically included in all desert/third world islands

Version 4.9:

- new islands : FDF's Podagorsk and Icebreakr's Panthera

Version 4.89:

- new islands : CWR2 Malden, Everon, Kolgujev, Nogova - Each will use CWR2 units (or ARMA2 if you are running just the standalone islands)

- fix : corpses and ammoboxes could load to a destroyed vehicle

- fix : Celle 2 shows unique loading screen

- new : Celle 2 will use CWR2 units if running CWR2

Version 4.87:

- new island : Isla Duala (NATO/AFR vs RU/MOL)

- new island : Celle 2 (USMC/CDF vs RU/CHKDZ)

- fix : menu option to Recruit going to wrong file

- tweak : performance tuning to interactions with searchable doors

Version 4.86:

- fix : include file error

Version 4.85:

- NEW : Add civilian car at nearest "House" to assist you in mobility

- NEW : Added missions for Lingor (woodland config, will try to use Lingor units once new version is out) and Fallujah (desert config)

- fix : Assigning of one task was generating scripterrors

- tweak : All code moved to MARKB50K_LOSTADDONS pbo. You must replace your old version with this one. From this point on, most new updates will just be an update to the Addon, not the missions.

Version 4.83:

- DOES NOT require a restart unless the feature you want is specified below as needing it.

- NEW : tweaked calculation on how much cargo a vehicle could have. decreased by a little bit to be more realistic.

- fix : Also removed Tanks from cargo capable vehicles.

- NEW : Added sandbag fortifications as objects you can load/drag/rotate (must RESTART to get this ability)

- update : Now houses that you search will NO LONGER provide intel to the enemy. It is assumed you either 'convince' them not to report you or you confiscate their communications equipment

- update : Added more realistic behavior to civilians. Now they will periodically return to their house and stay inside for a short while. Also, each civilian will have a betime and wakeuptime where during those times they will stay in their houses overnight.

Version 4.82:

- DOES NOT require a restart unless the feature you want is specified below as needing it.

- NEW : cargo load system where you can load multiple objects on vehicles (currently only one object can be loaded onto each vehicle). It uses the bounding box of objects to estimate how much cargo room the vehicle can hold.

- NEW : menu option to advance time 1 hr

- NEW : backpack compatible troops are given backpacks at spawn

- NEW : 'Scavenge' function of ammo cache now pulls from corpses backpacks as well

- fix : spawn actors from house using a more safe position calculation to prevent spawn deaths

- fix : merged one background script into another, reducing processing

Version 4.8:

- MARKB50K_LostAddon updated! you must replace your old version in your /Addons dir.

- Version DOES NOT require a restart unless the feature you want is specified below as needing it.

- bug fix: friendlies misplaced in house search

- house fix: adds in houses with interactive doors as 'searchable' (requires restart to add these in)

- Chernarus : incorporates BAF woodland camo equipment if you have BAF (requires restart to add these in)

- NEW VERSIONS for Utes (Woodland), Takistan, and Zargabad (Desert conversion using all new equipment)

- Takistan/Zargabad : incorporates UN, ACR, GER, BAF, and PMC troops if you have them.

Version 4.7:

- does NOT require a restart IF you are currently running 4.4+. If you are running an earlier version, it does.

- bug fix: error when finding friendlies during house search.

- adjusted up the probability of finding loot when searching houses

- adjusted range of probability of enemy partisans when searching houses

- added ability to ROTATE and DRAG static weapons in defense construction

Version 4.6:

- several small bug fixes

- added Vehicle Service Points and field hospitals, will add these in if you are already in-mission.

- DOES NOT REQUIRE A RESTART if you are running 4.4+ currently. It will automatically update.

Version 4.5:

- Added large enemy base, with a commanding general. Kill him and receive a big boost to popular support.

- DOES NOT REQUIRE A RESTART if you are running 4.4 currently. It will automatically updated and add the enemy base

Verson 4.4:

- Many many performance enhancements. Increase in FPS by about 100%.

- Removed ALICE module completely and implemented a trimmed down version. I wanted to keep just the essential things I liked out of ALICE. (chimneys, houselights), civilians reacting to combat and screams. Since the mission controls the civilians instead of ALICE, it gives me freedom to add in features directly to the civilians in updates if requested.

- From now on, any updates to the mission code should not cause a restart. I have implemented an update check in the mission that will update the mission to the latest version automatically in-game.

- Removed over 2000 'empty' doors that ALICE creates, which added in a great deal of lag. House search functionality is still present, just not using the hidden doors anymore. Big performance boost.

- Streamlined intelligence scripts and background scripts.

- Mission is now compatible with the latest version of Meatball's MARSOC marines. The addon is NOT required, but if you have it, the mission will automatically include them in the possible friendlies.

Added in 4.0

- Pretty much a rewrite of many of the major functionality pieces from v3.0

- Mission is never same mission twice. Fully randomized and dynamic troop positions create completely different experience each playthrough.

- Revamped the caching system and loading system to reduce system lag

- New Configuration Screen in the beginning of the mission which allows you to configure the number/types of enemy groups to spawn

- Added ability to 'search' civilian houses for weapons, friendly resistance fighters. Over 2500 searchable doors dynamically placed across the island, which also gives greater variety to events you may trigger by searching houses.

- Added new helicopter patrols that are active from the beginning and are quite a handful.

- New system of civilian support in each city, where friendly cities will give you realtime intelligence while unfriendly cities will provide intel on YOU to the enemy.

- Ability to siphon fuel from vehicles

- More 'tutorial' like approach to the beginning of the mission with tasks that give you an idea on how to proceed on this monster of a mission.

- Added 'hints' section to briefing for explaining the subtle nuances of the mission scripting

- Upgraded random starting point logic to prevent weird placement of initial position.

- Over 10 new side missions and bonus objectives. Everything from recruiting resistance fighters to your cause, to finding abandoned vehicles, rescuing POWs, and finding friendly wounded.

- Enemy AI will dynamically react to your progress in the war, sending out for reinforcements from other groups, retreating, reacting to civilian intel

- Moveable weapon cache that player can store all his army's weapons and gear salvaged from enemy. Cache can be moved in any Truck sized vehicle to allow for redeployment.

- Clayman's group manager that allows you to easily arm and fit out all your soldiers and manage your sub squads.

- Enemy group types: Tank/APC/Light Vehicle patrols, foot patrols, helicopter gunship patrols, paratrooper reaction forces.

- ALICE2 and randomly places civilian vehicles.

Edited by markb50k
Merged with APOCALYPSE

Just booted it up, I'm getting lots of errors showing.

On selecting the mission, there's an error about the overview picture not being n^2 in size, should be easy to fix that one.

Then once I'm in the actual mission, I'm spammed with errors:

Error in expression <switch (_type) do

{

case 1:

{

_select = GlbEastPatrolTypesCar call BIS_fnc_selec>

Error position: <GlbEastPatrolTypesCar call BIS_fnc_selec>

Error Undefined variable in expression: glbeastpatroltypescar

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\patrols.sqf, line 30

Error in expression <ct 1;

_i = 0;

_units = [];

while {_i < _count} do

{

_i = _i + 1;

_unit = _array>

Error position: <_count} do

{

_i = _i + 1;

_unit = _array>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _count

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\createUnitTypeArray.sqf, line 6

Error in expression <Pos;

}

Else

{

_pos = _cityPos;

};

_s = SkillArray call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_>

Error position: <SkillArray call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_>

Error Undefined variable in expression: skillarray

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\patrols.sqf, line 18

Error in expression <_sp.chernarus\units\camp_east.sqf"

_s = SkillArray call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_>

Error position: <SkillArray call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_>

Error Undefined variable in expression: skillarray

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\camp_east.sqf, line 1

Error in expression <p setFormation _formation;

_wp1 = _grp addWaypoint [_pos, 0];

_wp1 setWaypointT>

Error position: <addWaypoint [_pos, 0];

_wp1 setWaypointT>

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\findDestination.sqf, line 795

Error in expression <{_i < _count} do

{

_i = _i + 1;

_unit = _array call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_units>

Error position: <_array call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_units>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _array

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\createUnitTypeArray.sqf, line 9

{

_i = _i + 1;

_units>

_units>

{

_i = _i + 1;

_units>

_units>

Error in expression <unt = 3 + (ceil (random 5));

_units = [GlbEastUnitTypes, _count] call compile p>

Error position: <GlbEastUnitTypes, _count] call compile p>

Error Undefined variable in expression: glbeastunittypes

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\camp_east.sqf, line 10

{

_i = _i + 1;

_units>

_units>

{

_i = _i + 1;

_units>

_units>

{

_i = _i + 1;

_units>

_units>

Error in expression <s "units\createUnitTypeArray.sqf";

If (_s > 1) Then {_units set [0, (GlbEastOff>

Error position: <_s > 1) Then {_units set [0, (GlbEastOff>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _s

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\camp_east.sqf, line 12

Error in expression < _units];

_obj setVariable ["grpSkill", _s];

_obj setVariable ["CEP_disableCache>

Error position: <_s];

_obj setVariable ["CEP_disableCache>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _s

File missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\units\camp_east.sqf, line 18

So I'm not sure if the mission is actually going to work or not.

Uploaded 4.1 to fix load errors.. My apologies..

Dunno why, but i´ve got massive Lag in this Mission, even after minutes of initializing.

I will test this mission again with a fresh generated .rpt.

I have the same problem as Humvee28, massive lag after start up. My guess is its a script issue

Can the people getting lag please let me know what they are choosing for the # of enemy groups please?

Ill admit its starting to get frustrating that every person that reports in on the mission complains of the lag. I have an old rig and it plays fine, my brother gets 30+ fps, so I'd like to figure out ways of fixing it but i need some test data other than mine, which shows no problems... Thanks.

I put alot of work and features into this and know people will enjoy it as long as we can figure out what the lag issue is.

** updated to 4.2, small bug fixes...

Tried but heavy lag even with lowest # of groups. Perhaps its a better idea if you don't populate the whole island at once? Try to spawn and despawn units/static/empty stuff that is out of players view. Of course don't "mass spawn" anything, try some sleep/delay and code optimisation to reduce overload.

Can the people getting lag please let me know what they are choosing for the # of enemy groups please?

Ill admit its starting to get frustrating that every person that reports in on the mission complains of the lag. I have an old rig and it plays fine, my brother gets 30+ fps, so I'd like to figure out ways of fixing it but i need some test data other than mine, which shows no problems... Thanks.

I put alot of work and features into this and know people will enjoy it as long as we can figure out what the lag issue is.

** updated to 4.2, small bug fixes...

Sorry Mate. I´ve forgotten to list up the Details yesterday, so now here we go :

First, my fresh generated .rpt after some Minutes of Gameplay :

http://pastebin.com/7Wr98HCw

Mission Settings are made as low as possible via your Mission UI.

Game Settings are :

VD --> 3000

Textures --> Normal

Vidmem --> Default

AF --> Very High

AA --> Normal

Terrain and Object-Detail --> High

Shadows --> Very High

PP --> Low

Fillrate --> 100% @ 1920x1080

AToC --> 0

FXAA --> 0

Got no Problems with this Setup in other Missions so far.

My Game-Version is Arma2CO 1.60 Retail + PMC and BAF.

System Specs could be seen via my Signature.

I hope that this Info will help you a bit more.

Greets

H28

Another suggestion, put the player into a loading screen while the mission is initializing.

Another suggestion, put the player into a loading screen while the mission is initializing.

Thanks, I've been looking st some scripts and made some major fixes using nearentities instead of nearestobjects and got a marked improvement in performance. I'm going through and cleaning up some other areas mentioned in the optimization guide and should have a new version out soon. Thanks for the help!

Ok, 4.3 is up. i was able to get a discernable fps improvement, around 70-80% or so, with these changes. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Sweet mission! Lots of random stuff going on making it a really intense experience and the FPS has really increased since your last update. Thank you for adding the MARSOC units (mission is not dependent on MARSOC addon, but if you have it installed it will spawn a MARSOC unit instead of FR).

Edited by Meatball0311

Thanks!!

I just love this mission. I played your earlier build for about four days of game time (over a couple of weeks). The free nature of it is really my style, no rat-in-a-maze or artificial clock pressure stuff (Slow pace is my thing, I like Tarkovsky films, U-Boats, and I'm no longer a young lad). Random battles just unfolded naturally, along with long searches and frightening surprises like meeting a BTR90 belting along the road, or taking distant fire from heavy AA. Day followed night, it was probably the most immersive mission ever. It was fun to find a suitable place for the weapons cache, find and fix vehicles, and eventually move to a new area, and so on. I't a great way to explore Chernarus, even though I've been playing for years. There was a cute redhead that turned up at a fuel station in the north, I'd visit her occasionally..

I wasn't very good at handling all the friendlies that eventually joined, almost 200.

Frame rate etc. was fine with the earlier version. Never a problem otherwise. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with the latest build - everything begins slow and gets slower, and with minimum numbers of enemies etc. selected.

UPDATED TO 4.4. Performance improvements and added an auto-update script for any future updates!!! Also MARSOC marine compatible! See first post for new link!

----

Wow, Thanks Sunray, you don't realize how glad I am to see a post like yours! This is exactly the type of mission I was trying to create, and your experience is very much how I like my mission. Chernarus is now a living, breathing, battlefield. Stuff is always going on, and it may involve you, and in most cases, may not. I have fun playing this thing as much as I do building it. If I were you, i'd just start with the minimum friendly groups. In no time they'll be killed off by the enemy gunships most likely, and your only friendlies you'll eventually get will be ones you come across in the mission.

As for your performance issue, I did realize a problem with the last build that would eventually create some problems. The NEW version 4.4 I just uploaded is a complete improvement and will only improve in performance as more soldiers are killed off. Also, I kept the civilians but got rid of ALICE and did it much simpler. Please try it out (the link is in the first post).

So i've been playing this mission for awhile and its a blast! However could add a few static large enemy bases that are always in the same place? These bases could have a large supply of vehicles and weapons and would really give a good place to focus on taking. also could you add base building for your own faction?

Edited by yodaman888

UPDATED TO 4.4. Performance improvements and added an auto-update script for any future updates!!! Also MARSOC marine compatible! See first post for new link!

----

Wow, Thanks Sunray, you don't realize how glad I am to see a post like yours! This is exactly the type of mission I was trying to create, and your experience is very much how I like my mission. Chernarus is now a living, breathing, battlefield. Stuff is always going on, and it may involve you, and in most cases, may not. I have fun playing this thing as much as I do building it. If I were you, i'd just start with the minimum friendly groups. In no time they'll be killed off by the enemy gunships most likely, and your only friendlies you'll eventually get will be ones you come across in the mission.

As for your performance issue, I did realize a problem with the last build that would eventually create some problems. The NEW version 4.4 I just uploaded is a complete improvement and will only improve in performance as more soldiers are killed off. Also, I kept the civilians but got rid of ALICE and did it much simpler. Please try it out (the link is in the first post).

oooooh much better, I could even run ACE with the mission. The on-the-fly mission updates are a great touch too. I see how much has changed and been cleaned up from the previous versions. What other mods do you think you may support?

Classic Gaming Moments = *Running in terror as a Mi-24 pops up over a hill and comes screaming at you firing guns and rockets into the town you try to hide in.. I had a real rambo 3 experience, I jumped on a KORD and fired until that thing went click, then went prone in the sandbag position as the Mi-24 poured cannon fire at me and my make-shift camp that moments before was quiet. I lost everything :( I had to run into the forest with one mag left with my M4 and half a mag of 9mm.

*Prior to that I heard an odd echoing low bass noise and waited while trying to listen with my one ear in the headphones with the directional sound. That odd noise finally smoothed out to the sounds of chopper blades slapping the air. And my going "oh.. shit".

Great work, this mission is definitely starting to turn into a classic like "Abandoned Armies"

So i've been playing this mission for awhile and its a blast! However could add a few static large enemy bases that are always in the same place? These bases could have a large supply of vehicles and weapons and would really give a good place to focus on taking. also could you add base building for your own faction?

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I have been waiting for ideas to come from the community, and I promise to consider each one of them. My biggest decision factor is portability. I have from the beginning of this project always had the intention to create a script-driven highly dynamic mission that, within a day or so, be ported completely to any other map. The way i have designed it, there are no hard coded "static" locations in the mission, since thats really hard to port over to another map. I'll take a look at seeing if i can programatically determine candidate locations for a large HQ type base like you describe.

As for basebuilding, if you mean warfare then i dont have any intention of including that, BUT, you may have not noticed this, its a little feature i added in that i never publicized, but you can actually load static defenses/refueling barrels/and MASH tents onto trucks and move them around. So, in a simpler fashion, you actually can create a bit of a base. If people start using that functionality, i'll probably start adding the ability to setDir on things so you can start setting up some proper defenses.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback.

oooooh much better, I could even run ACE with the mission. The on-the-fly mission updates are a great touch too. I see how much has changed and been cleaned up from the previous versions. What other mods do you think you may support?

Classic Gaming Moments = *Running in terror as a Mi-24 pops up over a hill and comes screaming at you firing guns and rockets into the town you try to hide in.. I had a real rambo 3 experience, I jumped on a KORD and fired until that thing went click, then went prone in the sandbag position as the Mi-24 poured cannon fire at me and my make-shift camp that moments before was quiet. I lost everything :( I had to run into the forest with one mag left with my M4 and half a mag of 9mm.

*Prior to that I heard an odd echoing low bass noise and waited while trying to listen with my one ear in the headphones with the directional sound. That odd noise finally smoothed out to the sounds of chopper blades slapping the air. And my going "oh.. shit".

Great work, this mission is definitely starting to turn into a classic like "Abandoned Armies"

Yup, you are definitely feeling the full effect of limited ammo, smart reactive AI (especially the gunship patrols), and just the random living environment the mission is intending to put you in.

As for supporting other mods, from a content perspective, I can see me putting in some code to detect certain mods that add in new soldier types and vehicles. I have been perusing the Project CDF thread today seeing how viable it would be to incorporate some of GossamerSolids CDF forces. Generally i will try to include mods that dont require you to have them but they add in variety if you do.

Thanks for the mission stories. I play Abandoned Armies way back when, and it inspired me to do my one OFP mission "The Uprising" which had the whole-island experience as well. I'm so happy i decided to get into ArmA mission creation as the possibilities are endless. Even a comparison to that monster of a mission is flattery enough.. Thanks!!!

Added new version 4.5 with new large enemy base and enemy commander. Killing him will result in a big boost to popular support.

If you are running 4.4 you will NOT need a restart. My auto-update logic will automatically add the base to the map.

I have another suggestion for this mission. Currently using helicopters in this mission is kind of difficult so could you add the use of AI heli control mod? or something similar

EDIT

nevermind turns out i was just being a moron ai heli control works for all missions. but maybe you could

have it packaged with the mission. it really does add a lot of good features

Edited by yodaman888

I have another suggestion for this mission. Currently using helicopters in this mission is kind of difficult so could you add the use of AI heli control mod? or something similar

EDIT

nevermind turns out i was just being a moron ai heli control works for all missions. but maybe you could

have it packaged with the mission. it really does add a lot of good features

Hmm I don't know too much about that mod. Is it something I have to put into my code or can someone just run the addon and it's available?

The addon can be installed and it will work, however it can also be packaged into the .pbo

Got no more lags while moving around since V 4.4. Now i can enjoy the Mission too. Thanks for sharing.

Version 4.6:

- several small bug fixes

- added Vehicle Service Points and field hospitals, will add these in if you are already in-mission.

- DOES NOT REQUIRE A RESTART if you are running 4.4+ currently. It will automatically update.