Sign in to follow this  
daman3

Is it still ArmA?

Hello,

ArmA is known for its combined arms simulation.

Operation Flashpoint's campaign focussed on smaller scale operations.

Some people want to have back that experience but this is not possible. Since Operation Arrowhead the range of every weapon has grearly increased e.g. the drones act as a forward scout so the apache from 4km away can its rocket.

Now we have even land controlled droned, the ability to fly unmanned helicopters, cannons and rocket launchers that pound on the infantry from kilometres away, thermal imaging on helicopters that discovers everything etc.

Does ArmA3 stay true to its predessors and delivers a solid and enyable infantry experience or is it something completely new, the

Jack of all trades but master of none?

This thread is ot a ou futuere weapo s its about the fact, that if we really have so many things simulated is it still possible with attention to the detail (reloading anims, more fluid anymations) or is it a jack of all trades?

Hrrrnnnngh. I really have to hold myself back to not go into complete sarcasm mode here and be snarky and jerky.

OFP was never about small scale only. Examples like the Battlefields mission or Abandoned Islands prove that. Arma, from day one, could do both, large and small.

Many in the community have, during Arma and Arma 2 times, said that SP content means zilch to them. Now that Arma 3 rolls around, suddenly everyone is up in arms about SP content and the setting.

We´re not dealing with Codemasters or Electronic Arts here. Arma will be Arma, no matter the number, or the types of rifle or vehicle used.

Edit: Arma 3 has detailed reloading animations. No Arma previously had that. It has advanced kitouts for characters, vehicles AND guns. No Arma previously had that. It will, probably, support ballistic protection, as well as advanced kinetic interceptor systems for Tanks, along with ALL the other features we have so far. If you look at the craftsmanship in the units displayed so far, it´s kind of obvious that they -are- paying attention to detail.

Where does the doubt come from?

These types of thread always devolve into a "future-ruins-milsims discussion".

Thats true but the small things are missing like an animation system that allows the handgrenades to be effectively thrown, down to real animations when placing a satchel or opening a door.

Because this game has everything, these details seems to have gotten lost.

Hrrrnnnngh. I really have to hold myself back to not go into complete sarcasm mode here and be snarky and jerky.

OFP was never about small scale only. Examples like the Battlefields mission or Abandoned Islands prove that. Arma, from day one, could do both, large and small.

Many in the community have, during Arma and Arma 2 times, said that SP content means zilch to them. Now that Arma 3 rolls around, suddenly everyone is up in arms about SP content and the setting.

We´re not dealing with Codemasters or Electronic Arts here. Arma will be Arma, no matter the number, or the types of rifle or vehicle used.

Edit: Arma 3 has detailed reloading animations. No Arma previously had that. It has advanced kitouts for characters, vehicles AND guns. No Arma previously had that. It will, probably, support ballistic protection, as well as advanced kinetic interceptor systems for Tanks, along with ALL the other features we have so far. If you look at the craftsmanship in the units displayed so far, it´s kind of obvious that they -are- paying attention to detail.

Where does the doubt come from?

These types of thread always devolve into a "future-ruins-milsims discussion".

what ruins them is the inability of people to distinguish between 'futuristic' and 'near future'. As has been demonstrated and pointed out in other threads, every piece of equipment shown thus far is something that either exists, is in development or is planned as of today. Its a highly educated and researched 'guess' (for lack of a better word). It often seems that the naysayers are imagining a HALO experience with A3 rather than reading up on the facts.

Now we have even land controlled droned, the ability to fly unmanned helicopters, cannons and rocket launchers that pound on the infantry from kilometres away, thermal imaging on helicopters that discovers everything etc.

Does ArmA3 stay true to its predessors and delivers a solid and enyable infantry experience or is it something completely new, the

Jack of all trades but master of none?

Good question.

I see all of those new weapon systems as tools mission designers can use to make new types of missions with new targets. For every new tool there has to be some sort of new problem players will be forced to deal with, otherwise it'll get boring fast. Unmanned vehicles can be blinded, hacked or shot and distance weapons are of no use in areas where your targets hide in crowded cities. No apache pilot with thermal imaging can help clearing a warehouse full of bad guys guarding biological weapons.

But i get what the OP wants to say: we get new tools to play with and now the missions need to evolve as well if the gameplay is to stay still interesting / rewarding / fun. Good point made.

Well from the campaign it could feel very different to previous games. The player is left alive + alone, stranded on an occupied island behind enemy lines with a mission that he probably can't solve on his own. No support or resupply possible due to the nature and area of this secret mission. The player is forced to find some people who will help him to solve his mission and/or to leave the island. So the question is can he hide himself long enough from OPFOR (incl. near future weapon systems) + their informants/collaborators? He is outnumbered, outgunned and the time is not on his side either. Just some challenges that special operators like/trained to solve....

I couldn't have said it better myself. ARMA is what you want it to be. How you play it and what you use is up to you.

Please put this in your signature!

Yes ArmA is still ArmA

As you can see on this picture it stands

arma3logo.png

A.r.m.A, in other words ArmA, so the answer for your question is yes. ArmA is still ArmA.

In all ways.

^

I lol'd a bit.

The planning and progress we've made so far in Arma 3 looks very promising for the infantry aspect. For now, assume that we're doing our damnest to deliver the best game in the series. :)

Iv'e got absolute confidence that Arma 3 is by far going to be the best game ever developed by BIS. The developers have all the credentials one could ever hope for, I fail to see how anyone couldn't have faith in them.

Hello,

Some people want to have back that experience but this is not possible. Since Operation Arrowhead the range of every weapon has grearly increased e.g. the drones act as a forward scout so the apache from 4km away can its rocket.

I think I get what DaMan3 is saying here but he's missing one vital point. OFP's campaign didn't focus on smaller scale operations. It's just that its story was tighter and focused on a smaller parts of the larger operations. The number of toys and the specifics of how they operate is kind of less relevant compared to how they might be used in the story telling process. For example is it more atmospheric to force players to take control of Unmanned vehicles to accomplish a mission, vs say having to aviod being spotted by one? The UV can still feature, but it is used very differently in each example.

Its one of those areas that I think BIS has had difficulty with since OFP. I think the Campaign needs to be a tight story driven affair, supplemented by single missions or mini campaigns (2-4 consecutive missions) that incorporate the specifics of particular war toys.

Well in the example you give lets think of after montignac. You have a mission where you can fly a cobra vs trying to elude a hind above you. I'd say both were atmospheric in their own way, on the one hand you had a vicious machine to control but at the same were suseptible to as many diverse attacks compared to what you could give. Whereas the Mi-24 provided you with a panic of not being caught because if you did it would be over quickly, the rush of adrenaline causes you to be more aware and in doing so you find yourself more immersed in your character.

It's difficult to say what made OFP so great, I think it was a mix of things...being the grunt who through the campaign earns higher ranks, relateable characters, you see how things progress and effect not just you but the whole war effort as a whole, you don't always have the sense of being on the winning team, hell for most of the game you're losing if not scraping by. Vehicles were diverse but also had a curve, starting from the most simple, going to the most complex with several missions to get used to them and learn how to use them in different ways vs OA's here you're in a tank and here you are in a helicopter, there is no curving shift for example. Truck-humvee with mgun- armor - transport helo- attack helo- jet.

Music also lended itself quite nicely, you didn't get the feeling of being badass but more that things were barely moving if not falling apart. I understand that CWC was inspired greatly by the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia but the scenario as a whole was a rollercoaster of thrills, winning was neither always garunteed nor did it always lead to failure...ah there I go again..it is difficult to keep things simple when the campaign was so rich with so many things.

Iv'e got absolute confidence that Arma 3 is by far going to be the best game ever developed by BIS. The developers have all the credentials one could ever hope for, I fail to see how anyone couldn't have faith in them.

Absolutely, I'd go further to estimate BF3/COD PC casuals converting over.. probably after seeing a few things on YouTube.

Also +1 to that fact we aren't dealing with EA/DICE, thank god!

Lol, some people need to try A1 again before going "A3 will be ArmA!!!1!11" Or don't you remember how "unfortunate" this game was on its release?? With OFP/ArmA franchise BIS are just sitting in a "very comfortable" niche where are no competitors that can/will do make games like Arma. Imo it would be better and more challenging for BIS and the community to see more game developments in this area. :)

Lol, some people need to try A1 again before going "A3 will be ArmA!!!1!11" Or don't you remember how "unfortunate" this game was on its release?? With OFP/ArmA franchise BIS are just sitting in a "very comfortable" niche where are no competitors that can/will do make games like Arma. Imo it would be better and more challenging for BIS and the community to see more game developments in this area. :)

There are many.. the modders. Arma wouldn't be where or what it is today without them.

A3 is going to be a game changer! excuse the pun. lol

First of all the game itself (with release or shortly after) should be great + enjoyable and not depending on additional tweaks or bugfixes from community.

But maybe some people like to see game devs more as their "Gods - who can't make anything wrong" and will call to a "Crusade against all those non-believers and critic's"?? :D

As long as there's the editor, modding ability and no features removed, then it will all be fine :) and the devs have said as much on those 3 things. New features will only make it better.

I don't agree with that. OFP's campaign had the player fulfilling multiple roles ranging from close contact special forces to tank and air assets that fought over distances of several square kilometers. It's become ever more diverse since technologically speaking there are many more possibilities for BIS now than there were when they made OFP, much more knowledge, they've had more time to think about the past and from that decide where they want to go in the future etc. Unlike other game developers, BIS aims to make every next game in a series more expansive in it's possibilities, not repeating the same tricks or even downgrading capabilities like the corporate money machines that bring the world "the most realistic war game ever" every twelve months.