Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Take On Helicopters: Rearmed - Official at last

Awesome news! :D

Looks like we'll be playing "Arma 2.5" very soon. :)

I already got a few questions.

1)

Will this merge just A2 stuff or all the CO stuff we have?

2)

Will this allow us to play with A2 guys as in are you patching it both ways so that TOH becomes like an expansion for A2 so that we can play with our non-TOH A2 playing buddies?

On the other side, if we are on a A2OA / A2CO server will we be able to "hire" a TOH pilot to accomplish our ongoing missions???

On the other side, if we are on a A2OA server will we be able to "hire" a TOH pilot to accomplish our ongoing missions???

Yes this was what I was trying to get at sort of. Making both compatible so TOH can fly their realistic helis with other players who aren't flying fighting on the ground.

(maybe have it so that the equivalent heli in arma 2 is replaced with the equivalent heli from TOH.

i.e. any venoms get replaced with Mediums. Littlebirds with lights. Merlins with heavies.

No, You play TOH, and can load A2/OA/CO content. There will probably not be any TOH content in A2/OA, or MP compatibility with A2/OA.

There's also no reason to. TOH is the improved/extended engine. That is where you need/want to load the older content.

So if your team has TOH and the A2/OA games, you can play TOH with A2/OA content

Pilots can enjoy the higher fidelity flightmodel in TOH choppers, and Grunts can enjoy their game as per usual, incl some of the enhancements the TOH engine has to offer.

3rd Party A2/OA mods probably will also work, or with minor required changes, and 3rd party mods could be built to apply some of the new TOH features to A2/OA content I reckon,

much like what was done with A2 content in OA.

Edited by Sickboy

Oh man, this is great news!

I'm especially intrigued about making the fantastic Chernarus come alive! Perhaps it will be optimized in this patch where it'll demand a little less from our graphics card?

Great news!!

I still hope they can find a way to make the different simulations MP compatible.

People most interested in infantry game-play own ARMA and people interested in flight sims could buy Take on (+ARMA) and they still could play MP together. Would give you a better chance to meet good heli pilots online! The concept could be extendet to planes tanks etc.

As it is planed now it is great for SP. As soon as the patch is out i will reinstall TOH and buy the Hind addon (can´t see it on steam)

Oh man, this is great news!

I'm especially intrigued about making the fantastic Chernarus come alive! Perhaps it will be optimized in this patch where it'll demand a little less from our graphics card?

I doubt it. You're just going to have to turn down the grass - it works quite well actually.

I'll need a bottle of vodka before i engage with my precious Mi-24V in the Warzones of Chernarus and Takistan :)

OMG! Only BIS can do a surprise like that, it will be multiplicated the possibility of gameplay. Thx Bis!

BIS that is amazing and unexpected news. Glad I bought Hinds. Imagining the carnage in chernarus. Or opfor invading the seattle if I understand this properly. Epic.

I was a bit reluctant to buy Take on Hinds until now, but if I can easily use most of the A2/OA content, then It makes much more sense.

I think I'll get the DLC soon then...

Just thinking, so it will be possible for modders to apply flight dynamics to existing helicopters in O2? Apache? Eagle wing?

Past time if you ask me. I'd have already bought it if it had been released in this form initially, now with the A3 Community Alpha not far away I might be less inclined (if only because those I might play with will be even less so).

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

I would add that, having seen nothing official on the matter myself, I think a lot of fans are presuming too much in automatically assuming that ArmA 3 will include TKOH's more advanced flight model. To my mind it would be odd for BIS to launch a new product stream only to roll the two back together within ~18 months. Could be this (TKOH2 as a standalone expansion to A3) will be the model going forward.

@twisted - yes it is possible. BIS hace already released example models and configs to do this. It's a matter of whether the addon makers themselves wish to do so.

@Defunkt - A while back one of the BIS guys (either Armored_Sheep or DnA) mentioned that they were still thinking about whether to add the ToH model to Arma 3 or not. It seems from the latest post that it won't be fully integrated. I agree with you though that if they did then ToH would cease to make sense as a standalone product. Personally I think they have kept their options open to see if ToH can fly (forgive the pun) as a standalone - a lot of the tech in ToH was a testbed for stuff that will go into Arma 3 methinks.

It would have been nice to see the ToH model in Arma 3. Then all we would have needed was Take On Tanks.....

Wait so how does this work?

can the pilots have TOH and arma 2 and the ground pounders just have arma 2? or does everyone need TOH to be able to play together?

Then all we would have needed was Take On Tanks.....

Well the good thing about tank combat is that with features like Render To Texure and the HandleDamage event handler it should actually be within the community's ability to develop the fidelity to a pretty high level if BIS don't. I seem to recall there was a project space on DevHeaven to do such a thing for A2 but it never progressed.

Wait so how does this work?

Everybody would need TKOH.

Does this open things up to have say, a Domination Seattle type server mod?

'Cause, that right there. ;-)

Does this open things up to have say, a Domination Seattle type server mod?

'Cause, that right there. ;-)

It just wouldn't work, I mean, everyone will grab a chopper and noone will want to be on the ground capping with the flightmodels. Afterall, we did buy a HELI FLIGHT sim.