Sign in to follow this  
A.R.Mageddon

Project Reality: Arma 2

The dev team behind this is the main reason I choose not to play the mod, arrogant and closed :p

@ zamani532

When you have nothing constructive to post.....just don't post. It keeps the forum readable and interesting. Your comment above is boring and well out of place.

Infraction +1 for flaming.

@ zamani532

When you have nothing constructive to post.....just don't post. It keeps the forum readable and interesting. Your comment above is boring and well out of place.

Infraction +1 for flaming.

I'm not flaming, I'll try and be more constructive.. their official forum is full of arrogant posts by the developers working on the mod.. everytime someone mentions another mod from ArmA2 they're quick to knock it down and make it seem horrible, then they go on to say how they can do so much better but never deliver on that promise.

I think they should atleast try and do a little less of what I just described above, I'm trying to be constructive here as its making them look bad.

So you reply to Foxhound's instructions with more slander and non-constructive rumours. And, instead of contacting Foxhound via PM, you decided to discuss the moderation in the forum against the forum rules.

§2) Follow the instructions of the moderators

When a moderator or BIS staff member asks you to do something or to stop doing something, please follow their instructions. If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter.

§18) No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter. You may also ask your questions in the "Ask a mod" thread; however that thread is not to be used to attack/rant against specific moderators or about specific rules but more for questions/answers.

That is quite enough.

Well, I recently went over all of takistan and picked the best (actually, only) 2 locations which I can consider optimal for medium-sized A&S (which is also my favorite game mode), made missions there and sent them to Wormeaten. If all goes well, we might see them up for some public testing this weekend.

I really wish we'd see more players play on this mod, as just playing 1-2 missions a night at very specific hours is just not enough. Even more importantly, I really wish more players would actually bother to learn how to play effectively in this mod, because having to explain and re-explain the same things (often on deaf ears, be it due to language issues or just lack of will to learn something beyond running and shooting). This mod is very focused on the building and destruction of FOBs, which is often ignored by the majority of the players on the server, and overall I get a very strong feeling that most people don't know how to use most of the mod's features. A lot of times I see arguments over "Why are/aren't you doing X?" when it is obvious the answer is "because I don't know how this or that works" and not because "I'm an !@#!$#@ that wants to mess up your game". In the end I've always supported the approach of "don't blame the players, just fix the game", but in the case of PR and Arma there are some things the game just can't do for the player and the player must learn to deal with them. Of course, I think both (the game and the players) have a long way to go in terms of improvements, and once they do this game will be even better (much better!) than it is now.

One last thing I hope we get in the future is more tweaked gameplay features that will make the gameplay smoother and less frustrating, especially to newer players but also to veterans. Currently there are a lot of things that are time-consuming for no real good reason, and those obviously become many times more time-consuming for those new to the game, and drives people out of the game. Too long rounds that eventually end in a tie don't help either. As far as I'm aware the solutions are in the works, I just hope they show up before people give up on this great mod.

And for those who missed it:

IplO-PkuINE

yeah sorry I haven't made any new videos yet, will maybe make some new ones sometime soon but I'd really like to make one when I know I have a squad that will stick with me from start of round to finish, and not when I have to deal with random/new players in my group that may or may not listen and/or know what to do.

By the way, the first post of the thread is out of date. May want to update it to avoid confusion! Currently you do not need beta patches, but rather A2CO 1.62, PR mod for Arma and the updated praa.exe found here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440-pr-arma2-general-discussion/112544-bis-patch-1-62-released-updated-praa-exe.html

Edited by galzohar

I downloaded the mod from their official website and installed it. When I go to start the mod I get a message saying I have an unsupported version. I have 1.62 and the mod requires 1.60.

You have to download the new executable for 1.62. Here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440-pr-arma2-general-discussion/112544-bis-patch-1-62-released-updated-praa-exe.html

Working flawless.

@galzohar: As you are an "insider" in PR, when they'll update OPFOR weapons to support backup sights? I hate to play as OPFOR because of that...

Also, wish I could play this with Blastcore and JSRS, would be so much better....

Lookinf forward fo the next version though, having a blast with the (few) battles that I had.

Edited by Smurf

Yo man just because I occasionally talk to Wormeaten doesn't make me an insider! So of course I can't answer that question.

What I can say is that they'll probably have to get some new AKs to make that feature work properly, as you can't edit the AKs that come with the game.

As for other mods, obviously to avoid cheats PR cannot allow use of any 3rd party mods on their servers. This isn't really a PR thing, but anyone sane that is running any kind of public PvP server would use the same restrictions. Of course a server owner with way too much time on their hands can check mod compatibility and which ones actually don't affect the fairness of the PvP. But since PR are working on their own sounds I doubt they'll approve any sound mods on their servers.

Perhaps the use of CBA makes servers more vulnerable to cheats as well and JSRS needs CBA for it's scripts. I don't know, but obviously the more that's thrown in the mix the harder it is to check for vulnerabilities.

Perhaps the use of CBA makes servers more vulnerable to cheats ...

I hope you've got a number for a good lawyer handy ;-)

Can't wait to try out the mission galzohar! Also will the missions be on the incredible good looking upcoming maps, the afghan village or the other? Cheers.

try ak47 1 shot = kill works perfect :) normally blufor players never noticed where that 1 shot comes from :)

No. Only existing maps. I have the same PR version as all of you guys, so can only make missions for that right now. When new islands are released, if I still have time of course I will go and try make new missions for them too.

overall I get a very strong feeling that most people don't know how to use most of the mod's features. A lot of times I see arguments over "Why are/aren't you doing X?" when it is obvious the answer is "because I don't know how this or that works" and not because "I'm an !@#!$#@ that wants to mess up your game". In the end I've always supported the approach of "don't blame the players, just fix the game", but in the case of PR and Arma there are some things the game just can't do for the player and the player must learn to deal with them. Of course, I think both (the game and the players) have a long way to go in terms of improvements, and once they do this game will be even better (much better!) than it is now.

PR indeed has quite a threshold for new players. Even though there are official tutorial videos on youtube, a manual and in-game help, it is still a long struggle to learn all the features in the game. Perhaps a SP tutorial mission would ease the learning curve.

One last thing I hope we get in the future is more tweaked gameplay features that will make the gameplay smoother and less frustrating, especially to newer players but also to veterans. Currently there are a lot of things that are time-consuming for no real good reason, and those obviously become many times more time-consuming for those new to the game, and drives people out of the game. Too long rounds that eventually end in a tie don't help either. As far as I'm aware the solutions are in the works, I just hope they show up before people give up on this great mod.

Totally agree on this one. The unloading, unpacking, rearming, repacking, reloading-cycles with different assets some times frustrates cos it just takes so much time to hassle with the assets. Hopefully all this comes a bit more streamlined in the future patches.

Still, when u learn how the things work, PR is a great public PvP mod and without it I would still be playing around in the A2 editor only.

Why do the creators hate other peoples work? I don't think this mod will ever get popular because its so closed, the only way to get your own server running is to modify the mod files which is unfortunate.

I'm not quite like the flame-baiting tone of your comment, James222. If the creators wish to control their own work to provide a cohesive experience they can guarantee, that is their prerogative. It has nothing to do with liking or hating other peoples' work. I'd advise you to think over your posts more carefully in the future, if you wish not to accrue infractions.

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

I was not flame baiting. If my intention was to flame bait I would have said that in my post. Did I get reported or something, because It was my intention to let the developers know that I don't like it, so why not post in the thread about my thoughts on their flawed, in my opinion decision.

That is valid, but to suggest that it's because they are hateful of the work of others is severely flawed logic at best, and flamebaiting at worst. If you have a problem with my moderation in the future, please PM me. All forum rules are enforced, so perhaps you should get familiar with them.

§17) Report rule violations

If you see a violation of these rules on the forum, do not reply in the thread but send a PM to a moderator or use the "Report Post" report.gif button instead. Replying in the thread will be considered as spam. Reporting posts contributes to a well structured, well disciplined forum which benefits everyone.

@James222: look at DayZ and you'll realise why any mod that tries to create a fair competitive PvP environment has to take control of servers.

Edited by Bad Benson

@James222: look at DayZ and you'll realise why any mod that tries to create a fair competitive PvP environment has to take control of servers.

They haven't taken control of servers though, and the mod files aren't locked down to prevent people from hosting their own servers. And it does not require a launcher which if it was my decision I'd not use. The only reason they try to control server hosting is because the game is persistent and it connects naturally to a central MySQL database.

Even if you could set up your own PR server, who would play on it? The one server that is running is almost never full anyway, so you can always get on it. Most people will probably just play on it rather than your server anyway. As far as I know there was a TG server up (US-based) but it stopped running due to being pretty empty (please correct me if I'm wrong here). And of course if you can't properly admin your server (RGG are having enough of a hard time as it is and IMO they're putting a great effort into doing whatever is needed) then you're going to create a bad gaming experience and thus a bad name for the mod and as a result reduced player count in the long term.

I don't see how controlling the servers has anything to do with hating anything/anyone. While it might not be absolutely necessary IMO, I really don't see what's the big deal about it due to the obvious reasons stated above.

If it's using PR with additional mods that you're after, then be ready for an even less populated (read: empty) server than you would have had if you were allowed to host a standard PR server.

Even if you could set up your own PR server, who would play on it? The one server that is running is almost never full anyway, so you can always get on it. Most people will probably just play on it rather than your server anyway. As far as I know there was a TG server up (US-based) but it stopped running due to being pretty empty (please correct me if I'm wrong here). And of course if you can't properly admin your server (RGG are having enough of a hard time as it is and IMO they're putting a great effort into doing whatever is needed) then you're going to create a bad gaming experience and thus a bad name for the mod and as a result reduced player count in the long term.

I don't see how controlling the servers has anything to do with hating anything/anyone. While it might not be absolutely necessary IMO, I really don't see what's the big deal about it due to the obvious reasons stated above.

If it's using PR with additional mods that you're after, then be ready for an even less populated (read: empty) server than you would have had if you were allowed to host a standard PR server.

"It isn't worth it" isn't my issue, its the issue that they won't let us do it.

"It isn't worth it" isn't my issue, its the issue that they won't let us do it.

It's their mod - they can do what they want with it I suppose. They have explained this multiple times in the last PR Thread (the one that got locked). You might want to head over to their forums to discuss it with them as if we start going over the same old ground here again, this one will get locked too!!

It's their mod - they can do what they want with it I suppose. They have explained this multiple times in the last PR Thread (the one that got locked). You might want to head over to their forums to discuss it with them as if we start going over the same old ground here again, this one will get locked too!!

They will lock threads and pass out infractions if you criticize them on their own forums. I think if they opened it up they might actually get a decent population going, because of mods like ACE, JSRS that actually make ArmA exciting and difficult. In the end they're running the mod like a business imo.