Sign in to follow this  
A.R.Mageddon

Project Reality: Arma 2

mh sorry i can't help. TS on headphones and sound on loudspeakers? How does that work, how do you spot directional sounds, shots or ppl ?? Makes no sense to me

mh sorry i can't help. TS on headphones and sound on loudspeakers? How does that work, how do you spot directional sounds, shots or ppl ?? Makes no sense to me

Lol - I make little sense to a lot of people! It's just the way I have always done it. I also play a lot of Xbox and that's the way us console kiddies roll ;-)

If I see you on PR sometime soon - please SHOUT!

G'day,

Some of you may remember some of the work or guides I did for Arma 2 OA Insurgency and an ACE version of that.

I have played the Project Reality Arma 2 Beta for about 400 hours now, almost 2 hours a day for the last 6 months since I discovered it.

Picture this: You're in a squad with guys from all across the planet. Every accent imaginable alongside you: British, Irish, German, Australian, American, Finnish, Spanish, French, Polish, Russian. Quiet periods of hiking through hills and trucking through valleys interrupted only by all hell breaking loose: RPG rounds screaming overhead, machinegun fire kicking up the dirt around you. You're coordinating with your squad to move and engage the enemy effectively and if you're lucky that squad is working on command-channel with 5 or 6 other squads.

99 other humans players with different timezones, backgrounds, skills, characters, and stories, are there on the same server doing the same thing. Like all games, you'll find the usual share of muppets and lone-wolves but if there's a game more engrossing - I havent found it yet!

I love PR Arma2 because of the teamwork, realism, strategy, and large server population. It is basically the only game I play. If it's the kind of thing that interests you, by all means check out the official website. I've also written a number of strategy guides and After Action Reviews for this mod and done the odd YouTube video or interview. You can see some of those on my Facebook page.

Once you get that taste of human blood from some hardcore PVP infantry action, co-op against AI will be ruined for the rest of your life :)

Hope some of you will come and say hello on the PR Arma 2 battlefield!

Cheers,

Swedge

Finally, PR has gone a bit unnoticed here because of the lack of a thread in these forums. Hopefully this thread will bring many new players. I had a blast at the launch even there was extreme warping problems and I'm looking to play way more when my exams are over :)

Great news! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks!

I didn't really like the first release of PR. But this release feels so much more polished, as well as it running much smoother due to 1.60 patch. Really enjoying the logisitics part of it. Keep up the good work!

I played the first one, but unfortunately due to time zone differences some of the servers were a bit on the empty side and performance on my pc was a bit "blah". I'm really looking forward to trying the new update out. Never really played PVP on such a large scale, so I admit I am a bit worried about looking like a dumb ass and not sure how friendly everyone is on the servers this time around, but I might just have to stop worrying so much and just dig in and give the update a good try. It sounds amazing, especially the scale of everything. Usually play with like around 5-6 guys during co-op's, but to have a chance at going up against a huge amount of people sounds juicy for sure. :D

I had a blast at the launch even there was extreme warping problems and I'm looking to play way more when my exams are over :)

Yeah mate the warping problems are a non-issue now mate, they were sorted by an Arma patch several versions back. Hope to see you when you're exams are finished.

I played the first one, but unfortunately due to time zone differences some of the servers were a bit on the empty side and performance on my pc was a bit "blah". I'm really looking forward to trying the new update out. Never really played PVP on such a large scale, so I admit I am a bit worried about looking like a dumb ass and not sure how friendly everyone is on the servers this time around, but I might just have to stop worrying so much and just dig in and give the update a good try. It sounds amazing, especially the scale of everything. Usually play with like around 5-6 guys during co-op's, but to have a chance at going up against a huge amount of people sounds juicy for sure. :D

Around 2100hrs GMT was peak last time I checked a few months back.

Here are some player numbers for the last week on just the TacticalGamer server:

server_players.php?GSID=1536474&start=-1w&request=02716761082565039

Not sure what I can say about your PC performance. Arma performance has generally improved with successive patches but fingers crossed. The only way to find out is to try it and experiment with your graphics settings, which can make a huge difference. You can also change view-distance on the fly as part of the mod. I've also saved up and bought a new PC just for this game!

Don't worry about looking like a dumb ass mate :) I do that regularly and I don't let it stop me! :) There's nothing better than playing PVP on that scale, so I just figure I'll do whatever it takes to get better and just try learn something new every day. It can be a bit confronting at first, so patience is important. Everyone starts the mod knowing nothing and we gradually learn more and more over time by reading the manual and just from experience and learning from other players. It's well-worth it in the long run.

Like all games there are friendly players and less-than-friendly players. You will find that at least half are fairly helpful and friendly. Having said that, if you play patiently for a while eventually if you become mates with even a handful of regulars your enjoyment will increase significantly. There's a few Aussie squad-leaders who are regulars and "No worries" is one of the most common things you'll hear, so your suggestion that you stop worrying will likely hit the spot! :) Even though some rounds may involve 100 players simultaneously, we're often covering a realistic battlefield of many kilometres, so individual engagements may involve anywhere between 0 and maybe 75 - if that. There's certainly a learning curve in coming from co-op but many players come from that background and there's lots of new players at the moment so no need to feel out-of-place.

If you ever see me in-game, remind me that you're a new player and I'll certainly do what I can to help you out and introduce you. The same goes for other players like [RGG]MasterCaution, [RGG]Dale, MadRabbit, Wormeaten, and many others. Write their names down now mate! :) Be sure and read the manual too, that's critical!

Hope to see you!

Cheers,

Swedge

wow, quick question, are they going to release other armies appart the US army in the next update ?

wow, quick question, are they going to release other armies appart the US army in the next update ?

I think if I remember right, on their forums there's discussion about an IDF faction which is currently WIP for PR. I would imagine that they will take a similar route as they did with Battlefield and slowly add content as they go. Especially since this is only like the second PR release I think.

We're not planning on including a new faction in the next (0.2) release. Things may change over time though, so you never know.

I guess people noticed it but I though it would be nice to mention it here to. There been an update regarding the island/map "Afghan Village" ready for 0.2

wch0mp.jpg

More info and pictures: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f509-mini-updates-team/108663-20-terrains-afghan-village-0-2-f-t-federally-administred-tribal-areas.html

(disclaimer: not my work, just linking it)

What great fun!!

I suggest reading the 'Manual' for the finer points!

My lot was lucky enough to find an empty server to catch up on the in's & out's of things!

Can only imagine what a 100 player server will be like when all is working as it should! :0

Pretty fun, though I have a serious problem with the British camo's inability to hide ANYTHING on Chernarus. They stick out like sore thumbs as I learned on my first try playing on Opfor.

Amazing work PR!

Here is video of a Micro Terrain map WIP for v0.2 PR

We're not planning on including a new faction in the next (0.2) release. Things may change over time though, so you never know.

ok, i hope they'll add mroe feature for a balanced PvP like in BF2

Wow, more people need to know about this, just played 100v100 on Deutsche server! INSANE!!!

You may mean 50v50, as all missions are limited to 100 players.

But yes, if the team are playing well together then it can be pretty epic.

Great fun, just a shame im not able to turn grass off! Big fps killer for me :(

Wow awesome to see a PR thread here. They really did some great work for the .15 release. But I must give credit where credit is due. Without BIS patch 1.6 we would all be in the same old warping boat. It has changed the way arma is played forever!

I love the large battles but would love to see some urea or proving ground infantry only maps. The other ones just get very hard with player numbers around 10 a side. But I know they will come eventually. I wonder what the A3 release is going to do as well.

I love the large battles but would love to see some urea or proving ground infantry only maps. The other ones just get very hard with player numbers around 10 a side. But I know they will come eventually.

There's some Small maps already mate that are a lot of fun, including 'Taking Candy' and 'First Light'. I've enjoyed these with even 5 v 5.

Cheers,

Swedge