Sign in to follow this  
james2464

New anti-aliasing algorithm TXAA, Arma 3 potential?

Yet, somehow the 'lesser' ppaa solutions don't blur textures and destroy the artwork they are attempting to enhance.

That's exactly what FXAA does, it's the worst of the lot. SMAA can also slightly blur textures but is considered the 'best' PPAA in terms of pure IQ. However TXAA is a further development of FXAA, the guy who made FXAA went over to develop TXAA which is the reason why FXAA 4 is MIA. However TXAA is extremely effective at all distances and creates an extremely good mix between FXAA and SMAA in terms of performance and quality, yet goes beyond both of them in sheer full-scene effectiveness. Also removes shimmering and is the closest thing available to a full blown movie esque anti-aliasing solution.

I use FXAA and I have noticed texture sharpening rather than blurring.

Because you are probably using a version where they added a sharpening filter as well, to counteract the blurring of FXAA which in terms also degrades the overall depth of the image.

FXAA per default blurs the image, badly and is considered the worst of the PPAA options for its sheer IQ destroying nature.

The FXAA with sharpen filter introduced with latest betas is the most awesome AA I ever seen. Arma is looking crisp and it runs fast.

without knowing a great deal about technicalities of graffix cards I can say that I agree with this...def the best look Ive seen in Arma2.

You're talking about colour depth or what?

No, it wasn't as much a factual term as more of a loose definition term for the loss in IQ. The depth of the image, i.e the details that may be degraded or lost in this process. That can be both a small issue or a pretty big issue based on the amount of details etc.

FXAA did sharpen the image for me at one stage, but now it seems to have changed to SMAA sharpening the image, don’t know why. Still never mind, turn both off and turn down AF & AA to low and you get an image, that for me, is good as I need at 1920x1080 and a lot less fps hit.

It’s the game content I want more, provided I get a reasonably decent image I’m ok with that, this looks fine to me (click the image again, to fully enlarge), to others it may be bad, but that’s personal preference at the end of the day…

It will be the same for me in A3, game content before image quality. If using TXAA improves the image without too much of a fps hit, then great, but lets get the content in there first..:)

No, it wasn't as much a factual term as more of a loose definition term for the loss in IQ. The depth of the image, i.e the details that may be degraded or lost in this process. That can be both a small issue or a pretty big issue based on the amount of details etc.

I'm not sure I experience the detail loss you are describing.

You could make some pics and compare them side by side to see it, probably findable on google too. Personally i cant stand it and prefer 2xSMAA over any FXAA.

Edited by NeMeSiS

FXAA per default blurs the image, badly and is considered the worst of the PPAA options for its sheer IQ destroying nature.

In "theory", and I have read that. But in practice FXAA with Sharpen is much better than all other PPAA. For DX9 games, and A2 in particular. But alot depends on your other settings AND vidcard. NVDA's built in FXAA (Control Panel) is worse than ingame SMAA, But with my setup; AMD card, in game FXAA(med) and sharpen, along with ingame MSAA+ATOC @ native 3D(100% ingame). Its by far the best IQ.

I would never run PPAA without in game MSAA. PPAA is not a real substitute for MSAA. Only if your Kit is low power, would i even consider PPAA as a only option(I wouldn't, I would recommend buying a more powerfull kit). For me it does (FXAA) some extra fine tuning, ridding of odd angle jaggies and shimmer.

With the possibility of DX11 in A3 maybe TXAA will be great with HDR.

Then you don't look closely enough.