Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Light Tower Addon

After realizing the deep dark badlands need some light, I decided to make some! This addon adds a light tower commonly found at industrial and construction sites. Provides 6 spotlights on an extendable mast covering a large arc. I made this for use in areas where there is extreme dark due to no moon, etc. and had MP maps in mind. Ideal for use in FARPs and Bases! :cool:

UPDATE: Version 1.2 now available! NEW: Added static stadium lights commonly found in sports stadiums. Behaves just like street lights that automatically turn on at night.

Also uploaded MLODs! :)

Download pook_lighttower_v1.2.zip Here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265#cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265%212183

- The light mast starts out folded away for transport/towing. To activate, approach and select "Power On". This will start the generator that powers the lights. Then you may select "Raise Light Pole" and "Lower Light Pole" to raise/lower the lights. The light pole raises to about 5 meters height.

- Once the mast is raised, the power generator may be switched back off when not in use.

- Fully animated power lever, status light and damage.

- Object Name for use in scripting is "pook_lighttower".

- The Light Tower can be found in the editor under Empty > Objects > Light Tower.

- Texture set uses "Camo1" hidden selection for the texture. The default texture is mapped to the BIS red locomotive texture. New textures can be easily made by changing the texture. To change, add this to the unit's INIT line and point it to a new texture:

this setObjectTexture [0, "addonfolder\anothertexture.paa"];

- The is one problem that I can't fix, and that is I can't get the lights to shoot out. The config is there but they can't be shot. The generator body can be shot and it will destroy the lights.

CHANGELOG:

v1.2: 4/2/2012 - NEW: Added static light pole Stadium Lights.

v1.1: 3/15/2012 - FIX: Corrected texture dependency for a different mod.

v1.0: 3/14/2012 - Initial Release

Light Pole stored for transport:

lighttower4.jpg

Light Pole deployed:

lighttower2.jpg

There are 6 lights total, but at some distances my system only displays 5 of them:

lighttower1.jpg

lighttower3.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Thanks hcpookie :smile_o:

but I have a error message and no Light Pole deployed:

cannot load texture pook_pbr\data\car_light_flare2.paa :j:

*** Edit ***

Thanks for fix :notworthy:

ArmA2Base.de Mirror:

Light Tower (static lights) by hcpookie v1.1

greetz

miller

Edited by Miller

Miller, you don't have all my mods installed :D

That's an oversight on my part; I thought I had scrubbed the textures/mats completely. I'll address that and update soon.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

FIXED! I just uploaded the update that removes dependencies on any other mods. Works 100% now with no errors detected.

Great addon. Is it possible to slightly lower the volume of the generator when it is being played? I think the volume is fine if a bit on the loud side, but the distance the generator sound travels is very long. However, I've never been around these so I don't know how loud they are in real life.

Also, is there something I can put in the init to start the mission with the pole already extended and the generator on and the lights on?

EDIT: I tried this, but there's no sound. I'm guessing the sound script is checking if the vehicle is on and it's failing or something...

But this does work to get the lights on and the mast raised. Just enter this into the init of the light tower.

this animate ["powergenswitch",1]; this animate ["light",0]; this animate ["powergenswitch_dashlight",0]; null = this execVM "\pook_lighttower\data\scripts\powergen.sqf";this animate ["mast",1]; this animate ["lightpole",1]; 

Also, this addon makes a GREAT light for boats during nighttime salvage or repair operations. Just add this to the init of the light tower and name your boat fishingboat:

this attachTo [fishingboat,[0,-4.5,-4]];

pook_lighttower_boat-02_LR.jpg

I also attached the lights to the Nimitz as deck lighting. Works well. In editor, create the nimitz, name it "carrier", create three light towers and enter the following into three light towers' init fields.

First light tower:

this animate ["powergenswitch",1]; this animate ["light",0]; this animate ["powergenswitch_dashlight",0]; null = this execVM "\pook_lighttower\data\scripts\powergen.sqf";this animate ["mast",1]; this animate ["lightpole",1]; this attachTo [carrier,[28,-39,32]]; this setDir 120;

Second light tower:

this animate ["powergenswitch",1]; this animate ["light",0]; this animate ["powergenswitch_dashlight",0]; null = this execVM "\pook_lighttower\data\scripts\powergen.sqf";this animate ["mast",1]; this animate ["lightpole",1]; this attachTo [carrier,[27.9,-53,32]]; this setDir 110;

Third light tower:

this animate ["powergenswitch",1]; this animate ["light",0]; this animate ["powergenswitch_dashlight",0]; null = this execVM "\pook_lighttower\data\scripts\powergen.sqf";this animate ["mast",1]; this animate ["lightpole",1]; this attachTo [carrier,[29.5,-63.8,32]]; this setDir 40;

pook_lighttower_nimitz-01_LR.jpg pook_lighttower_nimitz-02_LR.jpg

Edited by Feint

Thanks Miller! :)

Feint it looks like you've figured out all the tricks - I like it on those boats! :cool: The script plays the sound as a result of the switch animation: "while alive", when the switch animation is "1", play the sound. So to script this it should require only the power switch to be on (animated to "1") for the motor sound to play. That's how I get the sirens to play on the Improved BRDM2 police units. Activate the dashboard light switch, play the sound.

I was on the fence about the sound volume. The motor sound volume is based on the sound of my backup generator for my house. They don't really try to quiet these down any. Last hurricane we had we got to enjoy the sounds of all the generators in the neighborhood every night. Turn on fans and you kind of tune out the sounds after a while. Remember the original Rainbow 6 game? That one map had these on them as well and I remember them being realy loud on that map. Made for difficult situational awareness when you had to defend the area. HOWEVER for a boat/building attachment it would make sense to have no sound because power would probably be from another battery source. I did quiet it down from the original sound by 50% I think it was. I am open to the idea of further reducing the volume. How much exactly would be a good level? Volume level of a tank or car perhaps?

Edit to add - I'll release the MLODs for these soon.

Great addon! Now all we need is more natural looking light and we'll be set!

A bit unrelated but is it at all possible with the current engine to "smooth out" the light so it isn't as sharp? I don't even mean at greater distances, but overall just smooth light edges.

ArmA II has already come leaps and bounds since ArmA I as far as lighting. It'd be nice to take it to that next level though.

Update! Added static stadium lights commonly found in sports stadiums. See first post.

Where is this located ? i can't find it :(

***Edit***

Found it :P ! nice addon ! GJ