Sign in to follow this  
Eviscerator

Panavia tornado

A few Paveways on a runway leave it inoperable anyway.

The sub-munitions can attack all sorts of soft targets, inportantly infantry.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually how you described the HARM missile is only ONE mode that the missle has called a "Loitering" capability. <span id='postcolor'>

wrong, harm does not loiter, you are thinking of the new (or relatively so) ALARM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The sub-munitions can attack all sorts of soft targets, inportantly infantry.<span id='postcolor'>

the sub-munitions are also there to hinder repair, ie delayed reaction.

when runway repair begins, the idea is that some of the workers/tools will be destroyed and make it so that none of the workers will go near it...psycological(sp?) effect

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ June 16 2002,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually how you described the HARM missile is only ONE mode that the missle has called a "Loitering" capability. <span id='postcolor'>

wrong, harm does not loiter, you are thinking of the new (or relatively so) ALARM<span id='postcolor'>

Do'h!!! Thanks for the correction. Yeah that must have been what I was thinking. However that is a good thing, because that pic I believe stated that it carried HARM missles also which would be easy to simulate in OFP I think. Hopefully anyways... All depends on the script writing capabilities of the people working on the weapons for the Tornado.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 16 2002,22:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the modelling bit is easy, ive seen enough pictures now, its the coding thats too hard and putting an anti-runway weapon on a plane in a game with a maximum of one runway per island doesnt balance out well, with the ones ive got you can take out:

Buildings(Stormshadow, Paveway)

Convoys(Stormshadow, Paveway)

Tanks(Brimstone)

Aircraft(Sidewinders)<span id='postcolor'>

The JP233 can also be loaded with anti-personel/anti-armor bomblets. Also I just wrote a script that simulates a JP233 on an A10. If you can figure out how to trigger the script by pressing the left mouse button like you were firing then it would work perfectly!!! If you want I can send you the script. Otherwise I'll post it and hope that someone else will add it or I'll just add the script in the missions I make using the Tornado. But it would look alot nicer if it actually showed the JP233 on the plane itself. The script is extremely simple just using a regular trigger by the way. All it needs is some way to trigger it using the left mouse button or the firing key on the keyboard or fire button on a joystick. That's all it needs. Figure that out and you will have an AWESOME Tornado. Please don't wimp out and make it half-assed. Do as Keg did and go the extra length to make the addon really special. If you want the script please email me at: chrisgie@txdirect.net

It's nothing special...very simple and uses the "shell120" objects which it creates next to the aircraft in .05 increments as it flies over the trigger.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Here is the JP233 script if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.geocities.com/dwimmerlaik2001/JP233simulation.zip

This is a sample mission. Just stick it in your missions folder. There is no ending or any specific goal or anything. It just demonstrates the JP233 script used on an A10. It's a very simple script and I have no doubt that it could be improved with the X and Y axis being varied a little bit so that the explosions don't happen all in a straight line and are scattered to the left and right of the aircraft like on the real JP233 (I think there are some scripts available that do this). But I think this one simulates it closely enough. I hope that Eviscerator will use a script somewhat like this to add in the JP233 and make the Tornado not just another airplane, but a SPECTACULAR airplane in OFP with an entirely new and effective weapon system. The trigger mechansim could function like a cannon but without cannon rounds shooting off. The AI pilot for example would engage ground targets as if he was engaging a ground target with a cannon. By doing that he would swoop low and should start firing soon enough to cause the bomblets to fall right on target.

But if it's impossible then that's cool. I'll just use the script in the mission editor.

But I think it is possible. In fact now that I think about it, there was a SU-25 (cluster bomb carrier) that did exactly this. Perhaps you could ask that MOD maker for permission to use the scripting he used for that addon in your Tornado???

That would solve all your problems right there VERY easily and would give the OFP community an incredible aircraft!!!

If you can't find that "Cluster Bomb" Su25 addon I'll see if I have it and send it to you (if you want it).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It can't be that hard to make a JP233! Just do it as you would any jet with bombs. When ou hold the trigger down then bomblets fall from specified loactaions on the planes (needent be individually exact...just from underneath. The only difference between this and say the A-10 (LGB) is that there would be hundreds of bomblets (each less powerful than one of the LGBs of course) and you don't have to have an animation for the bomblet leaving the jet. Why all the difficulty...

...excuse my ignorance of course...it would take me ages to even work out how to do that...

Jubs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ June 16 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">damnit the A10 also flies in 5sec over the island in real life and the Su also<span id='postcolor'>

Actually the A-10 is actually a bit fast in game and the SU-25 has a cap in the cpp so it can't go above a certain speed...this represents the afterburner I suppose. Of course the SU-25 wouldn't burn it on a bombing run.

Jubs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 17 2002,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is the JP233 script if anyone wants to check it out.  

http://www.geocities.com/dwimmerlaik2001/JP233simulation.zip

This is a sample mission.  Just stick it in your missions folder.  <span id='postcolor'>

OH sorry about that link. It does work but you have to copy and paste it into the adress box on your browser. Then it will download properly.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

a few things 2 point out

1 the pilot in the tornado sits in the front the navigator in theback

2 dont any1 ask it to be in the fighter load out becuases they are 2 different planes he woul need 2 adjust the model for a fighter

~~Yawn~~ What's the big deal about the weapons loadout? JP-what? I just want the plane to fly around in, I don't particularly care about the immediate loadout. Sure, make some good ones later on, but concentrate on the flight model and the plane itself preferably. And PLEASE make the 3rd-person viewpoint closer than the previous models (Hawk, AMX) smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpetsnazWarriorX @ June 17 2002,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">~~Yawn~~ What's the big deal about the weapons loadout? JP-what? I just want the plane to fly around in, I don't particularly care about the immediate loadout. Sure, make some good ones later on, but concentrate on the flight model and the plane itself preferably. And PLEASE make the 3rd-person viewpoint closer than the previous models (Hawk, AMX)  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That is true that the flight handling system is the most important thing. The weapons mean nothing without that. I will still use the addon no matter what weapons load-out it has. I just think that it would be A LOT more special and a lot more fun if it has the JP233. You have to trust me on this. There was an old flight simulator for the Commodore Amiga computer called "Fighter Bomber" that had a Tornado with a JP233. That was one of the funnest weapons I ever used on any flight simulator. The path of destruction you could make with those was just incredible!!! I think that the JP233 would make the Tornado addon a lot nicer. But I agree that getting the flight handling nice and smooth should be priority #1.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD

ok what if i get a jp-233 model textured and made into a .p3d and shipped it with the addon? it wouldnt be on the model but you could use it instead of another weapon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 17 2002,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok what if i get a jp-233 model textured and made into a .p3d and shipped it with the addon? it wouldnt be on the model but you could use it instead of another weapon<span id='postcolor'>

yeah that would work I think... but I don't have a clue how to add the JP233 to the Tornado's center line hardpoint like on the real thing. You'd have to stick a little "JP233 Read Me" tutorial on what script to stick in there to do that. Wouldn't it be easier just to make one version with the JP233 and one without kinda like the different versions of the AMX fighter bomber? Otherwise most people are probably not going to bother trying to figure out how to mount it on the plane if they know nothing about how to add scripts to a pbo'ed addon. It's also not something that would mount on the wing hardpoints. But if that would be easiest for you and if it worked like a real JP233 (not like a bomb but dispensing submunitions), then yeah I suppose I could get some help from someone to figure out how to add it onto the Tornado. But since you know how to do that, you might as well just make a version with it already on.

But it's up to you as to what you think would work best.

If the problem is in the scripting however, that "Cluster Bomb" Su-25 addon I mentioned should be all you need to get it working like a real JP233. I'm sure that as long as you credit the guy who made that one, it should be cool with them if you De-Pbo that addon and use the scripting he used for that addon.

But anyhow...again it's up to you.

But is sure would be nice to fly in at a extremely low altitude and at very high speed over an airbase or a enemy motor pool and then wipe out their aircraft, vehicles and troops with hundreds (or for less lag maybe just 50) bomblets made up of either the "shell73" or "shell120" objects...either of which can damage severely armored vehicles and also wipe out enemy infantry just like the real bomblets. Plus what's cool is that you can actually see them falling and they look like little bomblets. Also for sound, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it sounds kinda like popcorn popping when the JP233 is firing off those puppies. smile.gif

But anyhow...just do what you can. I'm not demanding you make it or anything. I just think it would make your Tornado extremely awesome to have that weapon system.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well the thing is, neither me or vixer are experienced .cpp'ers, i can model and he can model and texture, if you can find someone who can write a .pbo with all those weapon systems and a JP-233 then send him my way and ill gladly add another tornado

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ June 18 2002,01:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well the thing is, neither me or vixer are experienced .cpp'ers, i can model and he can model and texture, if you can find someone who can write a .pbo with all those weapon systems and a JP-233 then send him my way and ill gladly add another tornado<span id='postcolor'>

OK. Fair enough. I'll see who I can round up. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>