Sign in to follow this  
magnus28

question about bug in game: 'engage at will'

Hey I was just wondering if there is a bug report in already related to the 'engage at will' command.

If you are in a vehicle (any vehicle - whether it's a T-90 or Mil-24) seems like you can't get your ai gunner to automatically engage every target he sees.

Seems like they only engage targets right in front of them, then when you tell ai to engage x at x, they track target but don't always shoot.

So my question is: Is there a bug CIT in already about the 'engage at will' not working properly?

I'm not sure, but in the time it took for you to write this out you probably could have done a search at dev-heaven...

But I don't think this had to do with engage at will but the ability for AI to identify their targets. They will not shoot at people they do not see as hostile, and sometimes in vehicles it can be hard for AI gunners to identify men, in my experience.

For some weapons AI under player command only engages on "fire" (weapon) command.

I'm not sure, but in the time it took for you to write this out you probably could have done a search at dev-heaven...

But I don't think this had to do with engage at will but the ability for AI to identify their targets. They will not shoot at people they do not see as hostile, and sometimes in vehicles it can be hard for AI gunners to identify men, in my experience.

Yeah Max, I did search at dev heaven, I searched back to page 6, I also searched by criteria (ai issues).

couldn't find anything on it, so I guess i'll submit ticket

For some weapons AI under player command only engages on "fire" (weapon) command.

This is true.

Also if the vehicle running along WayPoints it should use "open fire, engage at will". But if you are in command of the AI the above statement by PVP is the best answer.

For the Main gun in a tank, he has to be told to fire every round. Same for guided missile in a Helo etc. They wont use these on their own if there is a human commanding.

With MG: If you tell the Ai to target an enemy, then Command Fire, in my experience the AI will (from that point on) engage anything they see in the area that is a threat. They will stop when you either; assign a new target, set No Target (I'm not 100% about that one), or you issue the Cease Fire command. Or they kill everything (unlikely :) ).

I'm not sure that the "engage at will" command has any bearing on AI that are in a vehicle. I think in vehicles, only Hold Fire or Weapons Free type commands have any use (even these are not need as you can Use "Command Fire" for this).

If there is a bug it is to do with the AI's targeting or awareness/visibility etc perhaps? As I say, I don't think that Engage at Will command is supposed to work for vehicles..though maybe it should?

Some people would like to have an Automatic engagement mode for the AI so they don't have to be told to engage with Sabot by the commander all the time etc (they would behave much like the way they are in that mod that PVP linked). My suggestion was that If it was to be implemented it could be tied to that "Engage At Will" command.

Edited by -=seany=-