Sign in to follow this  
i3luevein

Memory Points, hand & feet in vehicles

I don't know what system your planning to use for driving and cargo proxy to make more realistic interaction in vehicles for ARMA 3.

It would be nice to add more memory points so moders have more flexibility with driving positions.

In the memory point LOD would be nice to have say a Lhand, Rhand, Lfoot and Rfoot point with maybe also a Gear point. Then the character will know where to reach when to change gear, know where to place his hands and feet on the pedals rather than just sitting there like a crash dummy sliding around when the vehicle is moving, even though that is a nice touch when implemented in OA.

Any other ideas on this? Or is this something that people know is happening? Or I have missed :D

I've thought about something similar - basically a vehicle animation system making extensive use of inverse kinematics. If something like that could work, it would indeed be awesome, not to mention that it would take a lot of work off of the animators' hands. They would only need to create the basic position, everything else would be handled by IK, some memory points and config work. :)

I don't know what system your planning to use for driving and cargo proxy to make more realistic interaction in vehicles for ARMA 3.

It would be nice to add more memory points so moders have more flexibility with driving positions.

In the memory point LOD would be nice to have say a Lhand, Rhand, Lfoot and Rfoot point with maybe also a Gear point. Then the character will know where to reach when to change gear, know where to place his hands and feet on the pedals rather than just sitting there like a crash dummy sliding around when the vehicle is moving, even though that is a nice touch when implemented in OA.

Any other ideas on this? Or is this something that people know is happening? Or I have missed :D

Or, if ArmA 3 had a couple more years to come out, it could be LIndexFinger, LMiddleFinger, LThirdFinger, LLittleFinger, LThumbFinger, LHand, etc for ALL extremities LOL. Not only all extremities, but for every relevant part of the body, including joints. You'd have more realistic interaction with everything.

Of course, this is just a joke. Unless BIS can actually accomplish this between now and the end of the year :j:

I know what I would do with LMiddleFinger ^^

Something along these lines?

Spoiler image is 386 KB

mfing.jpg

But yeh, eventually all of those points would be nice !!

Custom animations for your vehicles essentially achieves this anyway? (But I do think its a nice idea, quicker, less hastle, etc)

I haven't checked myself how it is done for TKOH (i haven't even downloaded the sample file(yet) provided by BIS to my shame), but IK does just that, allowing animations (in theory at least) on the fly animations based on the animation defined by a 3rd object (in this case gear level, wheel and so forth).

i would assume this is how BIS got some of the animations done in tkoh and how the character is holding the wheel and moving its hands with it in A3...

Or, if ArmA 3 had a couple more years to come out, it could be LIndexFinger, LMiddleFinger, LThirdFinger, LLittleFinger, LThumbFinger, LHand, etc for ALL extremities LOL. Not only all extremities, but for every relevant part of the body, including joints. You'd have more realistic interaction with everything.

Those selections are already defined for A2 characters. Including fingers and individual parts of the body (i don't remember the exact number, but i can check).

Those selections are already defined for A2 characters. Including fingers and individual parts of the body (i don't remember the exact number, but i can check).

Yeah, it was kinda dumb of me to say that, since, now that I think about it, the right index finger at least is animated when pulling the trigger. I wonder if there's any way to add in a sort of object collision system. Anyone here ever used Autodesk Inventor? There's a feature called contact solver, or something like that. Basically, when activated, two modeled objects in a contact set can't clip through each other. I'm not sure how Autodesk does it in Inventor, but I wonder if somewhere down the line (maybe like ArmA 4 or something) BIS would be able to include something like this. It'd make object interaction much more realistic.

J62Fd-GO6fg

watch at 1m 52s

(maybe like ArmA 4 or something) BIS would be able to include something like this.

PhysX API support such features already...

PhysX API support such features already...

Yeah, but per ArmA 3 video and screens, it ain't in the game. Maybe BIS can implement PhysX API into ArmA 3. What is the exact feature called for PhysX API? Are there any vids of it?

Yeah, but per ArmA 3 video and screens, it ain't in the game.

Does that mean it won't be in the final game? :)

Maybe BIS can implement PhysX API into ArmA 3.

It has been annouced that PhysX is already implemented and working in Arma 3 Pre-Alpha.

Are there any vids of it?

Physical Animations? Sure, here is an example running on VBS2:

So that will also apply to weapons? As in rifles/arms not clipping into the torso and body armor? That's what I'm talking about.

So that will also apply to weapons? As in rifles/arms not clipping into the torso and body armor? That's what I'm talking about.

Do you even know what API means? By your previous point, you don't since, you want videos of it...

API

You are most likely mistaken it for Physix APEX, which is indeed something that you won't see in A3.

Conclussion, when you have NO IDEA about what it is being talked about, maybe it would be a good call to use google and get your info straight, BEFORE posting another pointless thing.

Do you even know what API means? By your previous point, you don't since, you want videos of it...

API

You are most likely mistaken it for Physix APEX, which is indeed something that you won't see in A3.

Conclussion, when you have NO IDEA about what it is being talked about, maybe it would be a good call to use google and get your info straight, BEFORE posting another pointless thing.

Yeah, I clearly don't know. I was asking for something specific. As in, weapons colliding with the vests/ no more arms clipping through torso. I'm not the one who first brought it up. I asked for something along the lines of Autodesk Inventor's Contact solver. And Neokika mentioned that PhysX API has such features already. Taking it that the video was somehow related to my question, only thing I saw of relevance was the collisions between doors of the humvee and other vehicles. That's why I asked does it apply to weapons as well. Maybe neokika misunderstood my question, and thought I was asking for PhysX in general. So, yeah, I don't know. What I was asking in that last post is if what was in the video also accounts for weapons colliding with the character's combat vest? Apparently not. So my "wish" if you will remains. That somehow down the line there can be actual contact between objects like what's in Autodesk Inventor. So, yeah, you're right. I really don't know. But I'm not making an assertion about something I don't know. I'm asking a question about something I don't know. Is there anything currently out there that could give a similar result like what that Contact Solver in Inventor gives? Basically, is there something that BIS can implement, or that PhysX can provide, that could put an end to the arms clipping through the body, or weapons not clipping through the combat vest?

And, no, I'm not asking for PhysX APEX.

Edited by antoineflemming

Awesome idea, i can't even imagine what you and Armatec could do with that.

sounds like QWOP if we could control joints...jokes on you.

And with more memory points for body parts like Penis for Man characters and Vagina for Women characters, suddenly interaction between these kind of characters in the game would get more interesting... ARMA 3 the closest thing to real life... :D

Kiddin'

And with more memory points for body parts like Penis for Man characters and Vagina for Women characters, suddenly interaction between these kind of characters in the game would get more interesting... ARMA 3 the closest thing to real life... :D

Kiddin'

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

i_disapprove.png

Does that mean it won't be in the final game? :)

It has been annouced that PhysX is already implemented and working in Arma 3 Pre-Alpha.

Physical Animations? Sure, here is an example running on VBS2:

sorry for the necro,

So does that mean if one has the car doors animated you can kinect it?

Can anyone look up the humvee config key and attributes in VBS 1.54?

Im interested in how that looks config wise.

Necro'd from beyond the veil of time, this thread! Still, the first time I've seen the above video and I immediately want a damage model like VBS. The vehicles of A3 actually reacting in some way to damage rather than decal and then exploded wreck is up there on my top list of wants for the future!