Sign in to follow this  
JojoTheSlayer

Multiplayer vs Delaying the game?

MP in Carrier Command?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. MP in Carrier Command?

• Release MP after launch in a patch.
    • Delay the game and put in MP for launch.
    • Not fuzzed ether way.
    • No vote (Just want to see poll. Missing option etc)

I've been playing World of Tanks while waiting, and frankly the best way to simulate the Multiplayer experience would be a script to say "NOOB!!!" and other insults every-time you killed one of the enemy units. But then again, artificial intelligence can never truly simulate human stupidity. :P

Just wanted to say I've just found out about it being single player only and probably won't be buying it.

Hopefully this devastating threat will help persuade them to definitely make it multiplayer soon.

Just wanted to say I've just found out about it being single player only and probably won't be buying it.
BI have said they will be more likely to add multiplayer if the game ''is successful''.

So, paradoxically, not buying the single player version may well cause there to be no multiplayer.

(I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision, just saying, is all...)

For what it's worth, I'm mostly looking forward to the single player game. Then co-op, and multiplayer a distant third.

I really loved this game on the Amiga and was thrilled to hear was being re-released in a new form; however I'm really disappointed that pvp wont be included. I really wanted to kick my mates a** on this lol.

Single player was good fun, however this game was possibly my favorite multiplayer (2 pvp) game along with Command and Conquer on the Amiga 500 (showing my age).

I'm sure someone in this thread said the original was not multiplayer but it 100% was, using a serial cable to join two Amiga's up! You then battled against your human opponent, carrier v carrier and you could either race to claim the islands before they did or try and take there carrier out using all the different vehicles and weapons your carrier has. Sounds like fun right?

I would have thought this would be really simple to implement into game, if the bulk of the gaming engine is written for 1 player? I'll be checking this game out at the Eurogamer Expo this week and will try and chat to the producers/designer (if they are there) to understand how such a simple, but great feature is missing. If it looks really good I still might purchase it, but I can't help feeling gutted there is no pvp mode.

While this game certainly fits well for multiplayer I am personally not interested in having it. I've been playing multiplayer games for SO many years I'm fed up with it.

Like reading a book I now prefer to have solitude while playing games also. I don't want or need the human competition.

So if you ask me I'm quite happy if Bohemia spend their development and patching resources on fixing and expanding the singleplayer experience instead of doing multiplayer.

EDIT: After giving it some thought I start to wonder if this game really fits well for multiplayer... It would not be a good jump-in-jump-out game. Sessions between two players even with just a few islands could become enormously long. Carrier vs carrier fights not so fun as it stand today. Etc. Multiplayer maybe wouldn't be such an easy addition after all.

Edited by Scepticer
See post

Multiplayer would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me either. I'm liking single player because I can pause/save it and return to it at my own pace.

I'm having more than enough fun in single player with the beta, but a coop mode would be a huge addition to this game.

I really hope they decide it's worth doing.

Multiplayer was not implemented on the original - your recollection is incorrect I am afraid.

We even had one of the original devs mention this.

However, I do remember Armour-Geddon and Powermonger multiplayer, and having to solder up null modem cables :)

Those were the days!

I will be buying this game regardless of multiplayer or not but i do think the option should be there for maybe a coop that would be cool id rather wait for the multiplayer so i can get this game ASAP im getting it for xbox as my PC is useless and its killing me that there isnt a demo or anything for the xbox version but o well not long now.

Multiplayer was not implemented on the original - your recollection is incorrect I am afraid.

We even had one of the original devs mention this.

However, I do remember Armour-Geddon and Powermonger multiplayer, and having to solder up null modem cables :)

Those were the days!

I could swear I remember shooting at my friend from inside carrier turret whilst he had an aircraft on the island. It was in Skirmish mode on the Amiga, maybe the developer worked on different platform version?

Ahh well I must have dreamt it lol, the new game looks good all the same :-)

Edited by Ham4tw

I will be buying this game regardless of multiplayer or not but i do think the option should be there for maybe a coop that would be cool id rather wait for the multiplayer so i can get this game ASAP im getting it for xbox as my PC is useless and its killing me that there isnt a demo or anything for the xbox version but o well not long now.

Actually a demo is on the way for the xbox and PC, though it will be available a while after release.

I would have thought this would be really simple to implement into game, if the bulk of the gaming engine is written for 1 player? I'll be checking this game out at the Eurogamer Expo this week and will try and chat to the producers/designer (if they are there) to understand how such a simple, but great feature is missing. If it looks really good I still might purchase it, but I can't help feeling gutted there is no pvp mode.

If it were that simple it would have been implemented long ago. Multiplayer is most complex with regards to peer-to-peer communication and synchronization. So if a game is single-player, then it is not as simple as adding another player, but writing a whole system for sending information from client to server and in reverse.

Best thing to do at this point, is to polish off the game in terms of AI and bugs, then get a well rounded SDK sorted. Then work on a multiplayer add-on. Once that is done, rerelease the game with multiplayer giving it a second chance round at getting reviewed and being on the shelves, refreshing its shelf life, and getting the game its deserved attention (On the PC that is). I don't know how this would be done on the xbox, it would cost too much to rerelease the game on that platform.

Then work on a multiplayer add-on. Once that is done, rerelease the game with multiplayer giving it a second chance round at getting reviewed and being on the shelves, refreshing its shelf life, and getting the game its deserved attention (On the PC that is).
And if BI do that, I will buy two more copies for my sons.

And if BI do that, I will buy two more copies for my sons.

I would buy two copies, one for me and one for a friend, so we can take each other on.

A release with no bugs and polished AI with Multiplayer and a final polished SDK included could be released as a gold version of the game.

Hell! Make a limited edition version, which comes in a box like the original did, and throw in a sticker, poster and a T-shirt. I'd buy it.