Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Medal of Honor - Warfighter

Really nothing compromising info in MoH, No Easy Day or Zero Dark Thirty. I really think all these punishments and official statements are forced by the media hype surrounding this.
The KBL author claims that he did in fact submit his book for official review, while Brandon Webb, author of The Red Circle and personally acquainted with the No Easy Day author (apparently the NED author was one of Webb's sniping students?) on the "SEAL training" YouTube videos has said that this affair with seven SEALs "smells like continued fallout from the publishing of the book No Easy Day and all associated with its author". Also:
If you serve or have served, you know that if guys were caught on active duty giving away real secrets they’d be facing Court Martial and harsher consequences then forfeiting a few months pay. From what I hear the guys didn’t even lose rank, and this leads me to believe that the only rules broken were the the silent un-written ones that live in the cultural grey area.
BangTail, I'm pretty much in agreement with you about MW2/MW3/MOH: WF, although I do rate the COD4/WaW/Black Ops stories higher than them.

I was about to say "I didn't realize Brandon Webb was on here" then I noticed you quoted it from SOFREP. LOL.

The KBL author claims that he did in fact submit his book for official review, while Brandon Webb, author of The Red Circle and personally acquainted with the No Easy Day author (apparently the NED author was one of Webb's sniping students?) on the "SEAL training" YouTube videos has said that this affair with seven SEALs "smells like continued fallout from the publishing of the book No Easy Day and all associated with its author". Also:BangTail, I'm pretty much in agreement with you about MW2/MW3/MOH: WF, although I do rate the COD4/WaW/Black Ops stories higher than them.

I agree with you about MW/WaW/Black Ops.

Along with the WW2 CoDs (The original and its successor), they were good fun.

Original CoD was great, good memeories. I loved the multiplayer back then when it was not plastered with all these achievements and crap. These day it's also ruined by loud mouthed 14 year olds. I remember I played BF1942/CoD/MOHAA multiplayer when I was about 11 but I was never that obnoxious over the mic.

Original CoD was great, good memeories. I loved the multiplayer back then when it was not plastered with all these achievements and crap. These day it's also ruined by loud mouthed 14 year olds. I remember I played BF1942/CoD/MOHAA multiplayer when I was about 11 but I was never that obnoxious over the mic.

I blame this on the generation gap. When we were young we had to interact with other kids so we learned social skills. Now people can hang out anonimously on the internet and act in a way that they would never dare in real life. You can see it everywhere, people glued to their smartphones oblivious to the world around them, thinking that social media is a full replacement for social interaction.

I found an interesting article on the subject of this supposed breach of OPSEC:

http://sofrep.com/13495/grey-area-is-why-seals-delta-and-others-secretly-consult/

Edited by JdB

I found an interesting article on the subject of this supposed breach of OPSEC:

http://sofrep.com/13495/grey-area-is-why-seals-delta-and-others-secretly-consult/

That's the article I linked to and quoted :D Still, it's a good article if you want to read about "the wider issue", but as non-SOF I didn't want to weigh in except insofar as the game. Incidentally, Webb has already commented on the subject months before: that comment in your link where "StormR" remarks on Webb calling out a SEAL?

Here it is, with Brandon Webb's remarking on "active (not former) Dev guys working with Hollywood video game production companies like EA" (Webb directly contradicts EA's claim of "former" members) and Webb outright declaring of the sniper trailer, "1:02 if you want to skip right to the “Official SEAL Team Six Operator†tell all part with TTP’s all over the place", though by the article you linked, he'd seemingly dialed it back to "they admitted delve lightly into TTP’s but, in my opinion the movie Act of Valor, and most SOCOM sponsored documentaries give away more capabilities than these game videos".

Ironically, the game's being so unrealistic may actually let EA off of the hook:

The Pentagon would have a hard time proving the video game makers had disseminated classified information that threatened national security because the combat tactics shown in the game are common to games and action movies, said Mark Zaid, a Washinton-based national security attorney who regularly handles cases involving secrecy agreements and classified information.

EA spokesman Peter Nguyen said the company has no plans to recall "Medal of Honor: Warfighter," and there are "no plans to alter the content contributed by combat veterans in the game." He would not elaborate.

"EA didn't break any rules," said Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities, an investment firm that follows video game companies. "It's not against the law for them to ask questions."

Interestingly enough, the article has unspecified "officials" claiming that the No Easy Day author "drafted his friends from his old unit SEAL Team 6 to work on the video game — a common practice among the SEAL teams, where current and former members help trusted teammates to find work", thus making him the link between EA and the seven, but the investigation into his book is how their unauthorized work was discovered.

That's actually part of why I'm looking with some interest at trying out the Black Ops II campaign -- IW seems to figure (probably accurately) that "their base" mainly or exclusively cares about the multiplayer, while by now Treyarch's positive reputation includes them having better a SP story. While of course that's no guarantee that Black Ops II will be as good as previous SP stories, it seems that Treyarch recognizes that "having a better SP story" each time helps their brand name stand out compared to IW's.

I don't know - how much would you pay for that? It's like advertising on a spade-toothed whale.

I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen so far it looks cheap.

MOH Anaconda (2010) is however underrated and I STRONGLY recommend it, it's one well made game. I Played the campaign over 5-6 times even on Tier 1 mode until I finally got sick of it and things got repetitive, the MP is a disaster though.

I wish A3 has voice acting and radio comms like MOH Anaconda does.

I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen so far it looks cheap.
It's basically a bunch of real-world inspired (or in the case of "Hat Trick" outright "this mission: the video game") missions strung together with a loose story unlike the 2010 MOH; it's no coincidence that quite a few people have been panning 2012's Warfighter SP while praising the 2010 game's. (Funny thing is, this view of Warfighter sounds like an inversion of your view of 2010's MOH -- nice MP, disaster SP.) When did you try playing the 2010 game's MP though? If it was any substantial amount of time after the game came out, that'd probably be because the MP population was so low to begin with?

It's basically a bunch of real-world inspired (or in the case of "Hat Trick" outright "this mission: the video game") missions strung together with a loose story unlike the 2010 MOH; it's no coincidence that quite a few people have been panning 2012's Warfighter SP while praising the 2010 game's. (Funny thing is, this view of Warfighter sounds like an inversion of your view of 2010's MOH -- nice MP, disaster SP.) When did you try playing the 2010 game's MP though? If it was any substantial amount of time after the game came out, that'd probably be because the MP population was so low to begin with?

I did try MOH Anaconda' MP, and what I didn't like wasn't lack of players (which was an issue at game release) but lack of tactical gameplay and washed out COD4 MP experience. I personally like tactical, fluid and fast paced play with serious players, something that MOH 2010's MP didn't have at the time I tested it (and probably doesn't have now)

But then again, maybe it's just me. I got used to games like ArmA 2 and Swat 4 for their realism and complexity. The real reason why I liked MOH 2010's campaign is that the story is well written, fluid, and something happens very quickly, there are almost no repetitive events, sound is amazing, graphics are decent, and it's a really well made game where even a campaign sadly uses more tactics than MP does, examples such as target designation, rp marking, bounding overwatch, tagging, etc. Those are rare even in ArmA 2.

Anyway, I will take MOH over COD any day, and A2's multiplayer over any game while MOH's campaign over A2's.

MOH2010's story was really good, that and the sounds were really good. Even the music, while not like the classic MOH music, was good. MOHWF, not so much, and I contribute a lot of it to the change of engine and the focus on telling a hollywood story. And then there's multiplayer that, while better than MOH2010's MP, is on the extremely glitchy Frostbite 2 engine. MOH should have stayed on the Unreal Engine.

Let's not forget that the game hasn't had a proper patch since launch and the online portion is basically dead.

Apparently, they have held back the patch in order to release it at the same time as ... wait for it .... you guessed it - the ubiquitous and beloved DLC (AKA nefarious mechanism for relieving parties of even more of their money).

This game was totally mishandled from the beginning - from the stupid PR to the broken end product.

I'd be surprised if we see a 3rd attempt but I wouldn't put anything past those greedy wankers at EA :(

Well they have to do something in between Battlefields... and that's the real tragedy of the MOH series. The change in engine wasn't a bad thing, truthbetold, and I'm willing to believe that Warfighter had the superior MP compared to 2010 -- that didn't solve the series' fundamental problem. I don't know if EA/DICE's "A-game" would have been enough to make it a worthy competitor, but it was never really meant to be and that's the series' worst fault.

MOH series were and are known for their campaign, not the multiplayer part (Although some of the series did succeed in MP too) EA is trying to turn MOH into MP lure like COD, that's pathetic and very sad.