Sign in to follow this  
drift501

Visitor can't read Layers.cfg

Hello. When I try to import my satmap and mask into visitor it won't let me because it is coming up with "Error loading 'P:\ZAC\Wild West\Data\Layers.cfg." this is my layers cfg

class layers
{
// make sure all the paths and files are lowercased, this is important for the clutter to work correctly later on without any major problems.
class beechsand
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_beechsand_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_beechsand.rvmat";
};

class deepdesert
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_deepdesert_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_deepdesert.rvmat";
};
class desertcliffs
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_desertcliffs_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_desertcliffs.rvmat";
};
class desertsand
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_desertsand_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_desertsand.rvmat";
};
class drygrass
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_drygrass_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_drygrass.rvmat";
};
       class lushgrass
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_lushgrass_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_lushgrass.rvmat";
};
class snow
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_snow_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_snow.rvmat";
};
class steepcliffs
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_steepcliffs_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_steepcliffs.rvmat";
};
class underwaterrock
{
	texture = "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_underwaterrock_co.paa";
	material= "zac_wildwest_data\zac_wildwest_underwaterrock.rvmat";
};

class legend
{
picture="Wild West\source\mapLegend.png";
class colors
{
	beachsand[]        = {{ 230 ,	230,	 120 }};
        deepdesert[]        = {{ 236 ,	230,	 149 }};
               desertcliffs[]        = {{ 196 ,	177,	 121 }};
               desertsand[]        = {{ 220 ,	210,	 102 }};
               drygrass[]         = {{ 170 ,	190,	 80 }};
               lushgrass[]         = {{ 120 ,	190,	 80 }};
               snow[]          = {{ 255 ,	255,	 255 }};
               steepcliffs[]       = {{ 80 ,	80,	 80 }};
               underwaterrock[]          = {{ 120 ,	121,	 120 }};
       }
};

Any help would be appreciated. It's nothing wrong with visitor because I completed Sgt Ace's tutorial and visitor loaded the layers.cfg fine then. Thanks, Drift501.

Should it not be...

texture = "zac[color="#FF0000"]\[/color]wildwest[color="#B22222"]\[/color]data\zac_wildwest_beechsand_co.paa";

"\" instead of "_" in all paths?

... presumably if your layers file is in "P:\zac_wildwest\data\..." then so are the texture files?

B

Ok Iv'e changed that stuff in the layers.cfg. My layers.cfg and all my textures and rvmats are located in P:\ZAC\wildwest\data\ but visitor still cannot read it.

Hello again. I started again on my map and I've got the heightmap into visitor. For the moment I am simply using a limegreen colour for the satmap and all black for the mask. Visitor is reading the layers.cfg file fine now but crashes when it starts to load into visitor.

Visitor is reading the layers.cfg file fine now but crashes when it starts to load into visitor.

Huh? Lost in translation?

What are you editing your text files with? Are you sure its raw text?

Copy/paste the text into notepad, then save it again.

Iv'e made the layers.cfg in notepad. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the config file anymore or visitor. These are the steps i've taken before visitor crashes. 1) I have got the heightmap into visitor. 2) I've selected the import satmap and mask (or whatever visitor calls them) option. 3) I have selected my layers.cfg file. 4) When it asks me if I want the rvmats binarized or in text I select text. 4) I then select my satmap (in this case just an all green file). 5) I then select the mask (all black for testing). 6) Visitor then opens up a progress bar that gets to one blue block before I get a message saying that windows detects a problem with visitor and must close the program before visitor closes. That is whats happening

Unfortunately that could be many things causing the error I'd suggest.

Whats your directory structure? Where are all your files?

Looking above you seem to have far too many prefixes for various folders/files/project. Wild West ?! ZAC ?! zac_wildwest_data!!

What are the sizes of the sat and mask maps? What are they saved as?

Whats in your RVMATs?

My directory is P:\ZAC\wildwest\. in that folder are my data and source folders. My RVMATS are copied directly from monkalbs tutorial. My sat and mask map are both 2048X2048 pixels and they are saved as png.

My directory is P:\ZAC\wildwest\.

meh .... your using a project directory so sorry I can't help validate your various paths.

My RVMATS are copied directly from monkalbs tutorial.

You have edited them right? You can't use them until you customise to YOUR project.

@driftyboy:

First: I strongly recommend to Use Notepad++ download it for free and set default language as C++ which correspond to all ArmA series...

Then, you can associate files such as *.cpp, *.hpp, *.pbl, *.rvmat, *.rpt, and the like for fast and comfortable reading and editing...

Second: Did you edit rvmat files into your data project? I mean, as you say, if you took those files from another place you MUST edit them to point at your own project and corresponding paths... at this stage, Notepadplus will become a handy tool to make semi-automatic replacements into files and whole directories... once you get accustomed to it you will never return to use native notepad...

Also double check system parameters and system preferences inside V3PE, just to be sure that your sat size file match terrain size, to this purpose try with binary like sizes: e.g.: 8192x8192, 5120x5120, 4096x4096, 2048x2048, it gives better and predictable results...

Edit your base layer texture to a 4x ratio over your grid size terrain: If you are doing a 10 meters grid terrain set your texture base layer to 40 meters at least... this mantain a good performance...

Third: If you can't view those graphic *.paa or *.png files with tex2view (right clicking over them and navigate to "send to" tex2view) probably those files you are using do not have correct format which is RGB 8 bits per layer (no alpha channel) for sat_lco.png and mask_lco.png or grayscale 16 bits for *.png heightmaps...

And (hope) last: "Wild West\source\mapLegend.png" I see a different folder arrangement here which I do not understand -I do not want to- so I would suggest to stay on the safe side and keep using standard path and folder arrangement. Besides this will assure that your terrain won't ever clash with others maps or addons...

Tell us about any report on error if any... well, just in case you haven't broken your PC into pieces yet!!!! hahaha

Saludetes!

Edited by Robster

Second: Did you edit rvmat files into your data project? I mean, as you say, if you took those files from another place you MUST edit them to point at your own project and corresponding paths... at this stage, Notepadplus will become a handy tool to make semi-automatic replacements into files and whole directories... once you get accustomed to it you will never return to use native notepad...

Not sure how to do this but I will eventualy learn (hopefully).

Also double check system parameters and system preferences inside V3PE, just to be sure that your sat size file match terrain size, to this purpose try with binary like sizes: e.g.: 8192x8192, 5120x5120, 4096x4096, 2048x2048, it gives better and predictable results...

Edit your base layer texture to a 4x ratio over your grid size terrain: If you are doing a 10 meters grid terrain set your texture base layer to 40 meters at least... this mantain a good performance...

I have a 20480 metre by 20480 metre terrain size and my sat and mask files are 2048 pixels by 2048 pixels.

Third: If you can't view those graphic *.paa or *.png files with tex2view (right clicking over them and navigate to "send to" tex2view) probably those files you are using do not have correct format which is RGB 8 bits per layer (no alpha channel) for sat_lco.png and mask_lco.png or grayscale 16 bits for *.png heightmaps...

Tex2View can open up all my paa files and it has set itself as the default program to open png files And it can open my satmap and mask layers.

And (hope) last: "Wild West\source\mapLegend.png" I see a different folder arrangement here which I do not understand -I do not want to- so I would suggest to stay on the safe side and keep using standard path and folder arrangement. Besides this will assure that your terrain won't ever clash with others maps or addons...

I have changed my paths so they now look like this P:\ZAC\wildwest\ inside that are my data and source files.

Tell us about any report on error if any... well, just in case you haven't broken your PC into pieces yet!!!! hahaha

Saludetes!

Will do. Thanks

pfffff

definitely you're gonna break up the machine!!!! do not use such big sat image... try with 2048 for all of them (sat & mask)... once you get that thing working just go for a bigger image sat or mask... in fact, you can change sat_lco and mask_lco size -in project parameters submenu- anytime you want, so for drafting and first testing purposes there is no meaning to use such big files, but a waste of time...

EDIT: Just use this file as a template (it's a standard rvmat file for terrain)... change only red text and apply cooresponding changes into "layers.cfg" also. Remember this rvmat file must be placed inside data folder altogether with *_co.paa, *_nopx.paa and *_mco.paa files:

ambient[] = {0.9,0.9,0.9,1};
diffuse[] = {0.9,0.9,0.9,1};
forcedDiffuse[] = {0.02,0.02,0.02,1};
specular[] = {0.0,0.0,0.0,0};
specularPower = 4; // specular interpolator must be enabled
emmisive[] = {0,0,0,0};

PixelShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuse";
VertexShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuseAlpha";

//surfaceInfo = "landtext\bumps.bisurf";

class Stage1
{ // normal map
 texture="[color=#ff0000]TAGname\MAPname[/color]\Data\[color=#ff0000]tagname_filename[/color]_nopx.paa";
 uvSource="tex";
 class uvTransform
 {
   aside[] = {10,0,0};
   up[]    = {0,10,0};
   dir[]   = {0,0,10};
   pos[]   = {0,0,0};
  };
};

class Stage2
{
 texture="[color=#ff0000]TAGname\MAPname[/color]\Data\[color=#ff0000]tagname_filename[/color]_co.paa";
 uvSource="tex";
 class uvTransform
 {
   aside[] = {10,0,0};
   up[]    = {0,10,0};
   dir[]   = {0,0,10};
   pos[]   = {0,0,0};
  };
};

Edited by Robster