Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Pioneer Space Simulator

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

daily builds are available on theirs twitter http://twitter.com/#!/pioneerspacesim

opensource too

Pioneer is a space adventure game set in the milkyway galaxy at the turn of the 31st century.

The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game.

You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.

When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet:

piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.

Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2. Frontier: First Encouter from David Braben

gPtxUUunSWg

4-DcyQm0zE4

Edited by Dwarden

Whew, at least this one is open source and free. You're all a bunch of jerks here, every time somebody mentions some innovative new indie game with a cool concept and pre-order access, 10 dollars disappears! Seriously though, keep these coming, Kerbal Space Program is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game!

Interesting. Similar to Orbiter in a way at least , still play that a decent amount, have not tried this yet will give it a go, thanks for the post.

Nice! Thanks for bringing it up. I still have the boxes for Frontier:Elite2 and First Encounters somewhere. Had a lot of fun with them, but now playing them in DosBox at 320x240, well, it's 2012 - even my phone has a bigger resolution ;) Will give that a try.

What made me discover Pioneer was this rather awe inspiring alpha 8 video :

z-SrAMFvOLE

(especially the part at 5:50)

Then once i put my hands into a download of it, the streaming tech of this open source game just catched my interest, allowing to explore sometime breath taking landscapes around those planets and asteroids with some nice amount of details. The graphics options are very scalable, you can fine tune the visuals to your computer horsepower without a problem.

Since my time with alpha 8 i have been very impressed by the progress the devs have made in each following alpha versions.

Alpha 20 should be release in a few days by the ways.

Obviously very inspired by FE2 and FFE, it's not a real simulator like my favorite spacesim is ( Orbiter ) but if you're interested in exploration, you'll have a great time with Pioneer.

Edited by Sanctuary

the game is fully living universe and you can explore it, but it's as sterile (maybe even more) than Elite 3 ...

definitely need more whistlers to be interesting for normal users

but for these who know elite games, there is tons of stuff hidden :)

Edited by Dwarden

Thanks for this. Loved Elite II Frontier, and this was just like it :) Unlike build 8 which I also had installed, this one seemed to work pretty good. Even managed to land manually on a planet - too long since I did that ;)

Had a look at that Vega Strike thingy, but somehow it didn't have the same appeal. That fancy over-the-top-and-not-at-all-realistic-space-graphics (like pretty much everything else in the space exploration genre) was a turn off for me. With space, I prefer the sterile dull and realistic approach. It did appear to support newtonian flight though, which is always a bonus, again compared to the rest of the genre going for full arcade controllers. Which is like controlling a tactical football game with a pong controller.