Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

Arma 2 on Windows 8

So no patch for this? Any plans on supporting Windows 8 when it is FULLY released?

yeah, WDDM 1.2 feats would b nice.

unsure whether it come from improved drivers or WDDM 1.2 nature itself, but recent WDDM 1.2 drivers[12.8 from AMD and betas from NVidia] from both vendors perform STUNNINGLY attractive: not much faster, but NOTABLY better-looking - better fonts rendering, better dithering, better mip-mapping, even AF look little better. not much HDR improvements[yet], despite semi-native support of both output and processing it, but native Stereo3D support is kinda neat thing to have too !

Edited by BasileyOne

WARNING: I just upgraded my WindowsXP to W8 (32Bit). After inserting the Arma2-DVD it says "This App cannot be run on your PC. Ask your Software Developer for help.":mad: Possibly its connected to the very last upgrades of W8 by Microsoft. There were six directly after I downloaded the upgrader for 29,90 €.

Strange ... OA installs now .... but Arma2 not ... :mad:

And this though there is also this blue big message: "This App cannot be run on your PC. Ask your Software Developer for help.":mad:

Edited by Herbal Influence

WARNING: I just upgraded my WindowsXP to W8 (32Bit). After inserting the Arma2-DVD it says "This App cannot be run on your PC. Ask your Software Developer for help.":mad: Possibly its connected to the very last upgrades of W8 by Microsoft. There were six directly after I downloaded the upgrader for 29,90 €.

Strange ... OA installs now .... but Arma2 not ... :mad:

And this though there is also this blue big message: "This App cannot be run on your PC. Ask your Software Developer for help.":mad:

I know the screen you are seeing, look around there is a hyperlink in the text, then you'll get "Run anyways" click that and it should work fine.

I had no such screen, just installed both games and DLCs as before (Win 8 Pro x64).

I however did not upgraded but reinstalled on an empty drive.

(Keep in mind I am still running Win 8 64bit Release Preview)

This is the "Smart Screen" I was talking about:

SmartScreen.png

Click on More info and you should get a "run anyways" button.

Definately Make sure you "run as administrator" as ArmA2 and OA write files to the "c:\user\..." folder and will need privileges... (most Win8 problems are fixed with this)

After re-reading "Herbal Influence's" post I realize you installed ArmA2 but it won't run I read it differently before oops, however, the error you mention sounds more like the .exe files are corrupt or didn't copy right, but that's a guess... from ArmA experiences of yore...

OK I figured out BAF and PMC DLC installs on 64bit Win 8. It should be noted that the 4GB limit mentioned above is on and I am running Release Preview now (though both CP and RP had the same error).

You must run the BAF or PMC setup file / Sprocket DLC thing. when / if you hit the error message "Runtime Error".

1. Open the Folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\BAF

2. for both files "setup.exe" and "ReactorActivate.exe"

3. Right click on each .exe and choose Properties then the Compatibility tab.

4. Check "Run this program as an Admin"

Do the same for C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\PMC

Thanks....I just installed Win 8 Pro tonight and this fixed it.

(Keep in mind I am still running Win 8 64bit Release Preview)

This is the "Smart Screen" I was talking about:

http://games.green-state.ca/wiki/images/8/8e/SmartScreen.png

Click on More info and you should get a "run anyways" button.

Definately Make sure you "run as administrator" as ArmA2 and OA write files to the "c:\user\..." folder and will need privileges... (most Win8 problems are fixed with this)

After re-reading "Herbal Influence's" post I realize you installed ArmA2 but it won't run I read it differently before oops, however, the error you mention sounds more like the .exe files are corrupt or didn't copy right, but that's a guess... from ArmA experiences of yore...

Thanx for your attempts to help.

And yes I tried it also as "administrator".

Nothing.

Always same message:

"This App does not work on your PC. Ask your software developer to build software for this system."

Too bad ... it's absolute freshly installed. No problems ever with this PC. Standard. From the shelf. It ran flawlessly with MicrosoftXP. Runs a lot with different Linuxes. Since years.

EDIT: For whatever reasons - now it works. Tried it simply a hundred times ...

The following text was shown several times, mabye it helps others:

Error-Code:

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname: InPageError

Fehlerstatuscode: c000009c

Fehlerhafter Medientyp: 00000005

Betriebsystemversion: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48

Gebietsschema-ID: 1031

Zusatzinformation 1: 55be

Zusatzinformation 2: 55beb125e5f5eebba32ff4470f6d6db1

Zusatzinformation 3: d8d7

Zusatzinformation 4: d8d728cfa3b4627b86f2920172200c47

Anybody knows how what it was/is?

Indepedent from being administrator / user always the same.

yes

Bah ... what worked was that it loaded/installed the game for more than 20 minutes and then always (3 times) now ended with the message:

Error while copying the file (CRC does not match).

C:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2\AddOns\weapons.pbo

(translated by me)

leading to the message:

Error in Setup.

Possibly this program will not work flawlessly.

And in fact there is not even a folder or a file to find from the installation ..... :mad:

Any ideas??

I suppose the DVD is bad? Though it's been treated carefully. (But don't recommend steam to me. I hate data-collecting-Steam nevertheless. Watch V like Vendetta or read "1984")

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Now it worked .... the error didn't show up any more. Mabye the DVD had to get warm with about a 10 attempts .... :confused: :)

---- and now again this horror begins to find out what patch has to follow which patch .... what a chaos! :mad: And as I already could install Operation Arrowhead the patches tell me, that I don't need them as "the version of OA is newer than your patch" :mad: :mad: :mad:

I feel your pain, back in may-june-ish I was banging my head trying to get the DLC's working... I'm having weird problems with my SATA DVD Drive and old disks as well...

Yea I definitely try not to use Steam for heavy modded games... Try Sproket / Store.bistudio.com they've always worked for me. Never been a problem and are just like a compressed exe which installs like a DVD. I was hoping devs/publishers would honour dead DVD's with a digital d/l in lieu of than a replacement disk.

Good luck and good to hear you got it somewhat working thus far.

PS the ArmA2 1.11 may be available as a separate download.

Thank you.

Anybody knows how to overcome the Problem, that turns up, when you installed OA before Arma2?

I mean, it says now: No update because newer version already installed. But I am stuck wit Arma2, vers. 1.10 and newest OA vers. 1.62.

edit:fixed problem :)

Edited by DrCrow

Just saw this. I play Arma2 on an old system. Single core, legacy Catalyst 10.2. Windows 8 won't install these drivers the standard way, but they can be installed. CCC, however, won't install, so I can't do the driver tweaks I could with Vista. I just tested Arma2. It still works like it did before I moved to W8. The BI guys did something right (OFP works great!) - Microsoft's own Links 2003 hasn't made the transition as well (though, it appears to me that W8 itself runs better than Vista on my old comp).

By the way, if anyone knows how to install the legacy CCC into W8, I'd like to hear about it!

Windows 8 Pro x64 with 16GB Ram here...

Cannot get BAF or PMC sprocket download exe's to install.

The compatibility /run as admin trick on both exe's changes nothing. All VC++ redists are installed both x86 and x64

Keeps giving c++ runtime error.

OK I figured out BAF and PMC DLC installs on 64bit Win 8. It should be noted that the 4GB limit mentioned above is on and I am running Release Preview now (though both CP and RP had the same error).

You must run the BAF or PMC setup file / Sprocket DLC thing. when / if you hit the error message "Runtime Error".

Confirming this worked for me as well, thanks. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Yoma I am on it for you (thank you for addon Tools, you've saved me soo much headache). I'll have to download it again, will take some time...

For now make sure "Run as Admin" is checked, i.e a checkmark in a box, for all EXE's in %AppData%\... ...Some times, in a hurry I can miss the step or simply forget...

To Dwarden, and the ArmA2 Devs, why is this an issue, you fellas have a Great track record for stuff like this... I handed you the workaround before Win8 release, please feel free to use it ;) no charge :P

Might be bumping an old thread here, but did anyone work out the extra issue with the BAFSetup? I tried the guide as described, c++ up to date, 4gb limit on, Bullguard disabled and running both .exes in Admin mode, yet it still gives me the runtime error. BIS support still haven't replied after 3 days.

Yeah, I also can't install BAF since using Windows 8 because of this. Does anyone know a solution (please no "Yeah - use Windows 7"-jokes. :P )?

the solution involved using no UAC, run as administrator and multitude of VC++ updates ...

I don't knot it exactly so I suggest contact support@bistudio.com

Thanks!