Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

Arma 2 on Windows 8

Since a new preview version (Consumer Preview) of Windows 8 is out for some days: Did anyone try if and how Arma 2 runs on it?

I love the new OS and its possibilities (from what I heard and saw in videos) but one of the most important things for me is if I can continue exercising one of my greatest hobbys on it - Arma. :)

So did anyone try it out (I can't do it as I don't have enough disc space :D )?

Edited by Undeceived

I am playing right now and it works Awesome

First thing first

I got 3 GB DDR2.

A clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate takes from my ram 35% of use ( W7 Beta did a same way).

A clean install of Windows 8 Beta takes from 20% to 27% (its 20% after installing GPU and chipset driver).

Game works more smoothly on my end.

However there are games that are not working properly even in compatibility mode.

Hehe, let's hope that BI will fix this one. :)

Hehe, let's hope that BI will fix this one. :)

doubt it's only BIS to blame here.

i think the problem is more in DirectX API, it's similar to the bug seen on 32bit OSes with 4 to 15GB memory and VRAM 1>GB and some x64 (there also plays role VRAM)

W8 seems suffer randomly similar issue (here it can be even multiplied by the state of drivers)

also rememer that Windows 8 supports both WDDM 1.2 drivers (introduced in W8) and WDDM 1.1 (introduced in W7) and i'm unsure maybe even WDDM 1.0 (introduced in Vista)

so interesting question would be compare if 1.2 beta drivers runs better than 1.1 final drivers

How did you get it to install? While A2 and OA installed correctly, I can't get BAF or PMC to install. Error:

MS Visual C++ runtime library

Runtime Error!

Program: ...\Temp\PMC\setup.exe

This application has requested Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way

I tried some compatibility modes but no luck. Windows 8 Consumer Preview release 8250, 64-bit version

same Problem Here Fraczek, I did a fresh install of Win8cp-64bit, and freshly installed ArmA2 then OA (DVD copies) and they run, texture loading problem exists, but I haven't applied any patches, because BAF and PMC (sprocket downloads) both fail with the same error you "fraczek" reported... Also When Running ArmA2 or Combined Operations the graphics options will not allow "video memory" to go above "normal" (I have a AMD HD6850)

ArmA 2 is the last game I need to make Win 8 fully functional, help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by FedaykinWolf

FedaykinWolf,

yep I had both issues, the video memory and texture detail couldn't go above "normal" as well (on HD6780). Well that could be issue with AMD Win8 drivers, they are still very beta after all...I had some helpful email from support, see below:

Regarding the DLC install issue, the BIS/Sprocket support guy had been quite helpful (thank you!). Although the OS is not officially supported yet (being just a Preview version, where lots might change before release), he gave me some suggestions. I can't try them at the moment (I have reinstalled W8 to 32-bit version where - so far - Arma et al runs very well, and don't have much time to test the 64-bit version just now), you could try them out yourself. I hope I can post it here:

Your error looks like you have some Visual C++ libraries missing. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell which ones from the error message. I would suggest you install 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2010 VC++ runtime libraries, in both (32bit and 64bit) versions. Although the 2005 32bit could be just enough, because it's likely an installer error and the installer had been, as far as I know, written in 2005

download link form MS

As I wrote, I can't try it ATM, with so little time to play Arma besides my work I am not keen on installing the 64-bit W8 again just to test when the 32-bit just works (and Windows is purely just for Arma, all my normal work is done on OS X). But if you don't want to downgrade to 32-bit W8, I suggest you might as well try it (best make a system restore point before). Also, my external firewire soundcard (Behringer) doesn't have any 64-bit drivers, so in 64-bit I had to use the internal audio which is a PITA...so I guess for my Arma gaming I am gonna stick with 32-bit W8.

For the graphics problem, the video memory/texture detail settings above normal do work in 32-bit W8 fine. There should be new AMD drivers for W8 preview in a few weeks (with support for 7000 radeons) so these might help here.

BTW, I am glad I got rid of all the annoying problems with .NET FX and SixUpdater. I had all sorts of problems with .NET FX, therefore couldn't run SixUpdater well, and these seem to be gone from W8 preview.

You can get rid of the memory issue by limiting the ram to 4 GB as described in my ticket; https://dev-heaven.net/issues/24580

Other games do not experience this issue - Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, etc.

If I had to guess, the issue might be related to BI's cheating of 32-bit address space through the file system; http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/85-breaking-the-32-bit-barrier

Either this (or another) trick needs some rework for Win8, or simply detection of Win8 needs to be added as I suspect there might be window version specifics.

Otherwise perhaps like Dwarden says - differences in GPU/MEM usage.

IIRC I have tried WDDM 1.1 drivers back in the developer preview, to no avail.

The interesting bit is that I do not experience the issue described in the ticket, if just running vanilla game, no addons.

But start to become an issue once I start adding mods.

@fraczek; odd, I had no such .NET Framework 4 trouble with Six Updater, either Developer Preview or Consumer preview.

The DLC setup issue indeed sounds like VC++ x86/x64 missing.

Edited by Sickboy

@fraczek; odd, I had no such .NET Framework 4 trouble with Six Updater, either Developer Preview or Consumer preview.

Sorry I failed to mention it, I had some problems with .NET framework back on Windows7...on Windows8PC it seems to work.

Hey guys thanks for all the information, sorry the RL got in the way of testing. pardon me if I get some of the terminology wrong, I kinda do and kinda don't know what I am doing :)

1. Ok I've installed VC2005, 2008, 2010 (32bit and 64bit all 6) still nothing with PMC and BAF Install (same runtime error). Did these DLC's have tages protection or something, I do remember some problems there with win7-64bit, but it may have been another game.

2. The inability to choose above normal with in-game settings "video memory" and "texture detail" is that the same as the ">4GB texture problem" or something different?

3. This >4GB texture problem is the first time I have seen it on this PC (this is only happening with ACE mod as noted above). I do not think it has to do with the "-mod=" 'cause the beta needs that, no?

Does ArmA2 have a software switch (ie -maxmem 2047) to test less than 8GB, or is it more physical addressing error? I think I have a way to disable this in my BIOS, I'll try that now. Edit: nope, just memory remapping...

FYI I'm running:

Win8cp 64bit

q9550 CPU

8GB Ram

HD6850 (AMD Catalyst Driver 8.93.7 RC10)

sickboy - the updater runs and updates perfectly, thanks again

Edited by FedaykinWolf

Ok, update,

#2 and #3, from last post, are indeed fixed by going to: "Start | Run | msconfig | Boot | Advanced | maxmory = 4096; reboot and play". No more problems with Vanilla, Beta, or Modded. you guys are right again, this is both a 32/64 bit addressing (sickboy) problem and the problem's amplified by the Driver's state (Dwarden)... So I'm waiting for a driver / patch?

The BAF and PMC Installers are still not working, however, I noticed this on sprocket: "Did you receive missing 'msvcp71.dll' message while using the downloader? Then just download these two DLL files: MSVCP71.DLL and msvcr71.dll and place them in the same directory as your sprocket.exe downloader." on sprocket's site... I vaguely remember 7.1 is VC++2003 and/or .net 1.1 and I caught some late reading about mscvcp71 needs an SDK...

There are understandably no Win 8 Support, but that is what I am doing :) testing win8 in a full-production environment,

...yes ArmA testing is included

OK I figured out BAF and PMC DLC installs on 64bit Win 8. It should be noted that the 4GB limit mentioned above is on and I am running Release Preview now (though both CP and RP had the same error).

You must run the BAF or PMC setup file / Sprocket DLC thing. when / if you hit the error message "Runtime Error".

1. Open the Folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\BAF

2. for both files "setup.exe" and "ReactorActivate.exe"

3. Right click on each .exe and choose Properties then the Compatibility tab.

4. Check "Run this program as an Admin"

Do the same for C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\PMC

OK I figured out BAF and PMC DLC installs on 64bit Win 8. It should be noted that the 4GB limit mentioned above is on and I am running Release Preview now (though both CP and RP had the same error).

Just great. Now I will have to reinstall Win8 again into 64bit ;-) (left it in 32bit because of the DLC install issue). Good job!

Ok, update,

#2 and #3, from last post, are indeed fixed by going to: "Start | Run | msconfig | Boot | Advanced | maxmory = 4096; reboot and play". No more problems with Vanilla, Beta, or Modded. you guys are right again, this is both a 32/64 bit addressing (sickboy) problem and the problem's amplified by the Driver's state (Dwarden)... So I'm waiting for a driver / patch?

The BAF and PMC Installers are still not working, however, I noticed this on sprocket: "Did you receive missing 'msvcp71.dll' message while using the downloader? Then just download these two DLL files: MSVCP71.DLL and msvcr71.dll and place them in the same directory as your sprocket.exe downloader." on sprocket's site... I vaguely remember 7.1 is VC++2003 and/or .net 1.1 and I caught some late reading about mscvcp71 needs an SDK...

There are understandably no Win 8 Support, but that is what I am doing :) testing win8 in a full-production environment,

...yes ArmA testing is included

So no patch for this? Any plans on supporting Windows 8 when it is FULLY released?

Any plans on supporting Windows 8 when it is FULLY released?
No you must run Windows 7 or older to play ARMA. (:p)

FYI everyone... Good news the beta patch "ARMA2_OA_Build_94945.zip" fixes ALL Graphics Settings with "Windows 8 Release Preview 64 bit" with 4GB limit turned off!!!

There was an issue right away tonnes of weird problems (like saving settings) but I deleted the "c:\users\username\My Documents\ArmA 2" folder completely and re ran arma2.exe and arma2oa.exe to regenerate the .cfg files and all is well...

So, to sum up, all initial problems with win864bit and arma2oa are addressed and fixed as far as I can see...

thank you BIS!!

update to 94997 , previous two betas were quite problematic ...

Hey guys, not that I want to hijack this thread but it's the only one I fond regarding Windows 8...

Running RP x64 here, I can't get Steam CO to launch at all, nothing happens. If I launch OA, BAF or PMC separatly they do launch fine, but Combined Operations refuses to start...

Anyone else having this issue?

Thank you

**EDIT: Argh nevermind, just tried running with admin rights, works now, I feel like a noob :/

Edited by -ACU-Tech

-ACU-Tech

Classic Windows 8 mode or Metro Windows 8 mode ?

in last case - try switching to Classic for gaming.

You must run the BAF or PMC setup file / Sprocket DLC thing. when / if you hit the error message "Runtime Error".

1. Open the Folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\BAF

2. for both files "setup.exe" and "ReactorActivate.exe"

3. Right click on each .exe and choose Properties then the Compatibility tab.

4. Check "Run this program as an Admin"

Do the same for C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\PMC

Thanks for this, FedaykinWolf. Much appreciated.