Sign in to follow this  
Deemsee

Helicopter ground attack targeting

Hi guys, I've searched a few threads but nothing seems to answer my question.

I'm new to ARMA 2 multi-player, I've only recently started to create mission for myself and sons for some LAN games. I'm a bit of a dab hand at the attack helo variants, so I've been building missions so I can engage various types of ground targets with either myself or my son and I as pilot/gunner combos.

I'm familiar with the AI targeting sequence using zoom/uncover target/tab etc; my question is, this doesn't seem to work with a real player. I can't tag targets for my gunner, and he can't uncover them for me as a pilot.

Is this possible? I was assuming that if I simply designate a target as pilot or gunner, it would be made obvious to both players. Is this not the case?

What is happening is that the gunner will uncover or a target, let's say, a tank; however I can't see that it's been targeted on my screen. And visa versa.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Your right it does not work with a human player. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know that's how the developers wanted it to work?

You just have to coordinate with your gunner/pilot. For example: if you spot a target, give the other person info, such as: "Enemy tank, North-West, Far!"

I've died plenty of times for this exact reason.

You can use your radar to know where the other crew member is looking. If you use your target list menu or the command interface to select a target, your character will say something like:

"Target that tank, one two".

"One two" means 120 degrees on the compass. Other than that you can just describe where the targets are verbally. It doesn't take too much time to get used to that.

When I'm playing with another person, I have certain tactics that I use depending on the threat type. Usually I report verbally what's going on as the pilot, and if I discover something that's a big threat to the helicopter I mask right away and then we figure out a response based on the situation. I make sure both crew members are on the same page regarding where it is, how far away, and what the plan is.

Edited by Max Power

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. That's kind of the way we were handling it, it just seemed a bit clunky given the sensor package on an AH64. I assumed that this'd be modeled to some extent. Perhaps not.

I also found this thread https://dev-heaven.net/issues/16555 and it seems that this is considered a feature rather than an omission. I do agree that the unguided systems should be slaved to the pilots control, it only makes sense. Is anyone aware of any mod that achieves this?

One i know of is A.C.E. 2 - it has pretty neat features for human manned gunships. Apache has a camera where the pilot can watch/assist the gunner f.e. Missiles are manually guided like their RL counterparts ( TOW / cable guided, Hellfire / laserguided ), laser ranged Autocannon, thermal imaging etc.