Sign in to follow this  
celery

Opinions on manual gun cocking?

Which option would you like the most?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you like the most?

• No manual cocking
    • Manual cocking for bolt rifles and shotguns
    • Manual cocking for above and after reloading empty automatic weapons

So, whats the problem?

He said it should be optional - you won´t have to go with it, do you understand?

I do understand, thank you, and that's also one of the issues I have with this - it would be a lot of fun for players hopping from server to server with different forced realism settings, especially if the action of gun cocking would be assigned to the same control as primary fire (LMB), as someone suggested earlier. Friendly fire, friendly fire everywhere...:)

Yeah sure, that´s the narrow minded approach.. (there´s also an options menu where you can assign controls :rolleyes:)

See it from the other side, manual gun cocking would enable BI or mod teams to actually come up with a better gun jamming (rather clearing) simulation.

No more damn action menu cluttery, more in depth features. But you guys rather have the same old cereals you know from your childhood.

Theres more than frickin fruitloops!

Yeah sure, that´s the narrow minded approach.. (there´s also an options menu where you can assign controls :rolleyes:)

Seriously?

See it from the other side, manual gun cocking would enable BI or mod teams to actually come up with a better gun jamming (rather clearing) simulation.

No more damn action menu cluttery, more in depth features. But you guys rather have the same old cereals you know from your childhood.

Theres more than frickin fruitloops!

Yes, more control buttons, that's what Arma needs...

I posted my opinion. You don't share mine, I don't share yours. I also don't approve of your condescending ways, but if you prefer to talk like your opinion is always better... do it, it's your choice.

You don´t like something, nobody else shall have it. Alright, were cool then.

PS: had to look up the meaning of condescending. Gotta say it´s not intended (just a little), i blame language barrier.

Normally I would disagree with something like this but I have seen it before. I remember for a short bit I used to play this half-life 2 mod that introduced this mechanic. You had to do it with the shotguns and rifles that were scattered around the levels. All it required was just 1 separate button.

That and propper hand movement animations for bolt rifle reloading. (if we still have those in A3)

Please. It feels like you're firing a really slow semi automatic without the bolting animations.

Also, if you only do bolts and shotguns, ONLY PUMPS (like the Keltec KSG shotgun).

But also keep an option to disable manual bolting, and make it automatic for those that want it. Though, I still want a bolt/cocking animation for the pump shotguns and bolt action rifles (snipers too!)

I'd like to see this, but I'd only use it if the cocking/pumping button was able to be separate from the fire button. I think if the fire button was the same as the cocking/pumping button, I might develop bad habits that transfer to other weapons. If it was a different button, I think it should be fine.

I like the way it's implemented in the RO series. Rebolting after firing has become second nature, and the action manages to stay seperate from the way I use the other weapons (Automatics). Adds a bit more feel to the weapons, a rythmic dispensing of death.

Client-side option would probably be for the best.

I think that manual gun-cocking to be in Arma 3 is a fantastic idea! I don't know what button you would press, but this would absolutely just immerse you into the world of Arma 3 so quickly it would be awesome!

I vote yes under the assumption that it is optional (recruit vs veteran). And i hope that you will be reloading bolt actions and shotguns one shot at a time (If it makes sense for the gun, Saiga 12K vs m1014) so we can abort the reload if we want to.

More features never killed anyone right?

And i hope that you will be reloading bolt actions and shotguns one shot at a time (If it makes sense for the gun, Saiga 12K vs m1014)

More features never killed anyone right?

We'll also get a KSG, which is a modern pump shotgun besides the M1014. I'm happy with only having cocking for bolt action rifles and pump shotguns such as the CZ 550 or the Keltec KSG shotgun however. I don't wanna cock a semi every time I load a magazine, it's part of the reloading process, whereas RO has it so it's only the bolting process. A safety feature would be nice too though, so I guess cocking could work.

I don't see the point of manual cocking for automatic weapons. You hit reload, then you have to cock manually. Why? You always have to do it, it's part of the reloading procedure that you have to do anyway. There's no reason why you would want to delay it. And since weapons don't jam there's absolutely no reason why you would need to cock your weapon apart from reloading in this game (as gun safety is non existant). Its like pressing W to move your leg up in the Air, and then you have to push W again to put it on the ground to make a step. Or push a doorknob down and then having to push a hotkey again to open the door :j: And most modern automatic weapons have a boltcatch so the only time you actually have to cock is at mission begin.

That's wasted development efford.

If there was gun jaming or gun safety then yes - otherwise no, pointless.

Edited by Fennek

It would be great if room was left for receiver type gun play. Perhaps an example with just one gun, buttons for many individual actions. It would take a lot of work, but the payoff would be fantastic.

For reference, receiver: