Sign in to follow this  
celery

Opinions on manual gun cocking?

Which option would you like the most?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you like the most?

• No manual cocking
    • Manual cocking for bolt rifles and shotguns
    • Manual cocking for above and after reloading empty automatic weapons

Since this topic is closed and we are re-directed to this one, I HAD to post this:

That was don in one week by the same guy(s?) that are making Overgrowth. A nice concept, but I don´t think that it would ever work in a game.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier has different gun parts that are separable (their "Gunsmith" feature). If they can animate a weapon separating into different, smaller parts, then why is it hard to believe that in some game in the future, that this concept is possible? Don't konw whawt I'm talking about, go check out Ghost Recon's Gunsmith. No, there aren't actual bullets modeled in that game, but if you can have a gun separate into it's key separate components (buttstock, barrels, 3 rail attachments, magazine, trigger, gas system), then it's not too much to imagine that a game can actually model bullets, put them into the magazine, and then tie the number of bullet models in the magazine to how much ammo you have left in a mag. It's not currently in the RV engine, but it IS possible.

Where I said it would be impossible?

I just don´t see it getting into a game bacause that is too much. You saw the number of keys avaible JUST to operate the pistol?

I like simulations\tactical games but that gone to far.

Arma isn't about gunplay. We had a thread like this a while ago. Honestly, I prefer soldier-environment interaction to soldier-weapon interaction. Besides, implementing such a functionality for every single weapon in the game would push the releases back by years.

Where I said it would be impossible?

I just don´t see it getting into a game bacause that is too much. You saw the number of keys avaible JUST to operate the pistol?

I like simulations\tactical games but that gone to far.

Oh, you're talking about the actual pull mag out to check bullets part, right? You said it wouldn't work in a game. What I said is that it is possible, meaning it could work in a game. At this stage, of course it would push ArmA3 back years. I bet the 5 years GRFS was in development was getting something like their gunsmith to work. Ultimately, the main point is that it isn't necessary for ArmA3. The Gunsmith super detailed weapon thing is nice, it's different, but it isn't necessary for a simulator. That is why, regardless of whether or not it could work, it won't be in any ArmA game. Because the only important customizable parts of the weapon are the rail and barrel attachments.

I like it for sniper rifles only.

Haven't seen a shotgun do that in a game yet.

Indeed, the closest I ever saw that got to manual shotgun pumping was SWAT 4 where you loaded shells individually.

I would like sporadic weapon jamming in ArmA 3 actually...

No. What I am TRYING to say is that something like this wouldn´t work in a game environment.

From RPS:

Before I could even fire my gun, I had to holster it, remove the magazine, slip individual bullets into it, put the magazine back into the gun, turn off the safety, release the slide lock, release the kraken, pull back the hammer, and actually, you know, raise the thing in front of my virtual body. And only one of those items is a dumb joke.

No one in its right mind would do something like this EVERY time he gonna play thus why I said it works as a concept but not in a game.

And yes, Gunsmith is why Im getting a look into GRFS, sounds awesome.

No. What I am TRYING to say is that something like this wouldn´t work in a game environment.

No one in its right mind would do something like this EVERY time he gonna play thus why I said it works as a concept but not in a game.

A matter of context and application.

Would i want having to reload individual magazines with one bullet each during firefights? No.

Even if i´d want that, would i want it through not intuitive & overused action menu? No aswell.

Would i wanna be able to make a rough estimate on my bullet count by holding reload button pressed as in RO2? Yes, very much!

It all comes down to how much it´s worth against how much you cannot make it good.

Edited by Mr Burns

Hell yeah, dunno why the bullet counter have been present in the series for so long. But Im not talking about that in there.

I would be totally for more deeper mechanics regarding reloading, bolting, pumping, etc.

It already is a habit I have carried over from Red Orchestra.

From RPS:

And yes, Gunsmith is why Im getting a look into GRFS, sounds awesome.

Ok, I get it. Not the fact that a game simulates those parts of the gun but that you have to go through all that, manually.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

A matter of context and application.

Would i want having to reload individual magazines with one bullet each during firefights? No.

Even if i´d want that, would i want it through not intuitive & overused action menu? No aswell.

Would i wanna be able to make a rough estimate on my bullet count by holding reload button pressed as in RO2? Yes, very much!

It all comes down to how much it´s worth against how much you cannot make it good.

In a firefight you've already loaded up all your mags. So you shouldn't have to do that anyway.

I would love to see the manual cocking in Arma3. But i am not sure if there are any Bolt-Action Rifles in Arma3:-/

Maybe there are only semi-automatic rifles.

There will always be mods... but most sniper rifles are bolt action anyway M40 and M24 comes to mind

I would love to see the manual cocking in Arma3. But i am not sure if there are any Bolt-Action Rifles in Arma3:-/

Maybe there are only semi-automatic rifles.

No? really? There is CheyTac M200 Intervention ,but it wasn't showed yet - most likely in the works

For sniper rifles you should have to click the mouse button and then pull the mouse back and forth so that if your hand is too shaky your aim will be completely off afterwards and if you do it smoothly you will never have your eyes off target.

I would humbly accept the idea of manual weapon cocking when reloading.

One more suggestion: I hope that it also integrate the unload function when cocking the firearm which has a cartridge in the chamber.

I'd like manual gun cocking as well, or even something even more in depth such as Reciever's gun mechanics.

_k60l5XAycY

You seem to forget that such psycho stuff does not work in games...people are not affraid to risk virtual death. they even run at atbnks and try to plant satchels or mines in front of them or attack with AT from the front. you can't intimidate players in videogames by wielding a gun.

You gotta remember that at the end of the day, it's just a game. Something overly complicated such as this might alienate potential buyers. Receiver is a game specifically about gun mechanics, but ArmA is not.

Edited by Nicholas

I agree with after a empty mag but i wouldn't mind the cocking be apart of the animations (assuming they would be accurate)

I am just curious how you people draw the line.

Delaying the reload in RO never came useful outside of using bayonet. Being left with the choice it is always the preference to have a loaded weapon, so it was entirely pointless. You could just add an interrupt option like CoD or any other game has. It just meant you had to double tap the button when shooting. It did not add any depth tot he game as far as I am con concerned.

Some of the other suggestions in the thread were Receiver worthy, not talking about those.

But where it comes down to it maybe the RO gun controls also have little place in games, just like loading bullets into M1911 magazines.

So basically you're saying all features must be useful and not for aesthetics.

So basically you're saying all features must be useful and not for aesthetics.

I am saying if something requires engine rewrites for aesthetic effect and makes control scheme more complicated in addition it might be not a good idea.

I'd much rather have 10 useful things implemented instead.