Sign in to follow this  
celery

Opinions on manual gun cocking?

Which option would you like the most?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you like the most?

• No manual cocking
    • Manual cocking for bolt rifles and shotguns
    • Manual cocking for above and after reloading empty automatic weapons

I was driving once and actually tried to press m to bring up the map to see which way I had to turn at an upcoming intersection. Just reached in front of the steering wheel and tried to press the 'm' button where the keyboard would have been. So embarrassing. My friend was like "Why'd you just poke the steeringwheel?"

Usually, when I want to unload my bags, I always kneel down and expect a 'Gear' screen to pop up.

I mean, what benefit to gameplay is there in NOT cocking your weapon, for example?

There is one advantage that I can think of for not playing (part of) an animation(cycle) automatically but rather when the shooter wants to, and that is when operating a bolt action sniper rifle. Movement can give away the shooter's position so not reloading immediately after firing can be an advantage. In SP that's not much of an issue since the Ai can spot you anyway, but it could be an advantage in MP against other human opponents. Of course that's a very specific situation, and after a few minutes of thought I haven't come up with another example ... and it's questionable whether ArmA3 will even have any bolt-action weapons.

when operating a bolt action sniper rifle. Movement can give away the shooter's position so not reloading immediately after firing can be an advantage.

I once asked somebody and was told in those situations you'd just reach under your rifle with your supporting hand and cover the bolt handle and your right hand before firing.

I think more or less the gameplay benefit of having such a feature would be to differentiate between different modes of firing. I guess you're adding a click to the whole firing procedure. I don't think there's much decision making involved. Under most circumstances there would be little reason not to chamber another round unless you needed one or both of your hands for something else, or maybe your rifle was under water or mud and moving the action would risk fouling stuff, or maybe it would be unsafe to do so.

There is one advantage that I can think of for not playing (part of) an animation(cycle) automatically but rather when the shooter wants to, and that is when operating a bolt action sniper rifle. Movement can give away the shooter's position so not reloading immediately after firing can be an advantage. In SP that's not much of an issue since the Ai can spot you anyway, but it could be an advantage in MP against other human opponents. Of course that's a very specific situation, and after a few minutes of thought I haven't come up with another example ... and it's questionable whether ArmA3 will even have any bolt-action weapons.

The only other thing I can think of is if it's a 'press and hold' until the bolt has chambered another round and locked down safely. If you let go too early and pull the trigger, it's a face full of bolt.

Not sure if people would like that as a gameplay thing, but it would weed out premature shooters lol.

I voted for the manual cocking for above etc. But I'm really unsure how much of a nice little extra challenging immersive/realistic feautre this will be over just a regular PITA. I couldn't possibly form an educated opinion without trying it out for myself. So in the event that it does become just more of an annoying hassle, I would like manual cocking for everything, to be an option, regardless of difficulty. (If it were to even be implemented)

Off the top of my head I can think of exactly one reason why cocking should be manual:

There is cocking and you have to go out of the sight to cock. Means a shooter can't follow his round and won't see the impact. Other than that, as long as cocking can be aborted, it should be automatic.

Thats not true, I can easily stay on sight (scope) while repeating, and repeasting automatcally cocks the bolt...in fact I can't uncock the bolt on a Mauser 98 system.

Doesn't quite bother me.

Besides why would you interrupt your reload in Arma? I mean in what situation would that ever happen? We no longer use bolt action rifles for anything other than sniping, a soldier in WW2 had no sidearm and was pushed into fighting CQC with his rifle...

This whole argument seems to me like usual nitpicking and the usual RO talk.

To switch to a grenade, to spring? Things that you can do in real life that shockingly make the game funner and more fluid? :butbut: I know it is a long way off as BIS does not even seem to have animators, but it is something nice to hope for. Personally it is not a big deal for me. Just make sure the reloads are uninterruptable and I would be fine with that. The CoD style magical reloading while you cancel it to run/jump away is what would really annoy me in a game that claims it is authentic.

I like the idea for having to cock the guns for said weapons (including automatics), maybe even in RO2-style as many or saying. However, wouldn't this be heavy for the CPU? By heavy I'm talking about having hundreds of AI cocking their guns every time they reload or such.

Edited by Cpt.Burger

I like the idea for having to after reloading and for said weapons. However, wouldn't this be heavy for the CPU? By heavy I'm talking about having hundreds of AI cocking their guns every time they reload or such.

why would it? From the AI pov there wouldn't be any diference if this was implemented or todays system.

Voted for option 3 and would like an option to change the button config for it, wouldnt want to fire that weapon when I dont intend to ^^

And having the cocking on the same button as firing makes no sense to me, two quite different things and it forces you to keep and eye on the ammo count even more. And as in RO2 I would like the option to hold down the cocking button to check the barrel for loaded bullet and a magazine check.

I'm not sold. Don't like the idea of pressing fire for cycling the action, and a seperate key just adds complication for the sake of complexity. Our avatar in the game world is trained in the operation of firearms. I control it to tell where to sim, fire and reload. When I aim I don't have to get the proper grip, to manually line up the front and rear sights, etc. I view it like adding keys to move my left and right leg so I have to alternate to walk run.

If done it should be a server independent option and I'd rather have it attached to the reload key, tap to cycle action, hold to reload to prevent nd's in the game.

What would be amazing is if you have to hold left click... and the animation would follow the same speed as you drag the mouse back then forth again... so if you push it forward too soon, you won't eject the round.. for bolt rifles and shotgun.

Edited by aaronlee

A gentleman should have a batman to cock his gun for him.

Some suggestions in this thread are just Heavy Rain degree of nuisance (moving mouse back and forth to cycle the bolt...).

Arma is all about emergent gameplay, not micro- and mini-games. Drowning player in micro-menagement and trivial, repeatable tasks makes no sense because there is already so much to do in the game.

Why would you, please tell me, after reloading your machinegun and closing the cover NOT cycle the bolt? For the life of me I cannot think of a reason not to. It takes 0.5 second.

Some suggestions in this thread are just Heavy Rain degree of nuisance (moving mouse back and forth to cycle the bolt...).

Arma is all about emergent gameplay, not micro- and mini-games. Drowning player in micro-menagement and trivial, repeatable tasks makes no sense because there is already so much to do in the game.

Why would you, please tell me, after reloading your machinegun and closing the cover NOT cycle the bolt? For the life of me I cannot think of a reason not to. It takes 0.5 second.

The original suggestion was only for bolt-actioned rifles such as sniper rifles, as well as pumped action shotguns. In the case of snipers, it would allow you to check where the bullet went before pulling on that bolt...

But obviously some are showing their overthetop smarts with things you quoted....i am certain the same ppl would be the first to bitch about if such an abortion of an idea would ever make it in....

Hi, i don't see the sense of this on a game that already have a slow enough action and response. Let's C ya

I love Red Orchestra style and it would be great to see it in ArmA 3. Heck, it would be great to see him cock bolt action rifles in ArmA 3 for a change. :p

I love Red Orchestra style and it would be great to see it in ArmA 3. Heck, it would be great to see him cock bolt action rifles in ArmA 3 for a change. :p

What? Red Orchestra? lol.

What? Red Orchestra? lol.

The game? The OP specifically mentioned it for having manual cocking unlike most games. I like the way they did it. But I won't be angry if they don't include manual cocking in ArmA 3, as long as they include a cocking animation this time.

Since this topic is closed and we are re-directed to this one, I HAD to post this:

That was don in one week by the same guy(s?) that are making Overgrowth. A nice concept, but I don´t think that it would ever work in a game.