SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.6 (CO)

I think I would use this beautiful mod much more if we could have a good and decent campaign with it.

long campaign with all roles (grunt, leader, sniper, special forces, pilot, crewman...), like ofp.

Looks like we'll be slipping to next weekend, there's a couple tiny tweaks left to go in and I don't wanna rush past testing and miss something vital sorry for the slight delay!

Take your time, no rushing needed :p

From the models (Tanks in particular) I can see lots of effort and patience was put into this mod, so I'd like it to stay that way :)

I hear you 100% there Topas, ultimately its a military mod so thats where the focus will be

When I wrote that I was meaning our mod, not I44, but yeah, I'm with you on this one. In our case the civilians should (and eventually still are going to) be showcased in a broader scale than in other mods, which has it's grounding in historical facts.

Ok all the planned fixes and features for 2.64 are in place, hopefully nothing new will crop up over the next couple of days during tests, should it be needed we'll fix those next week and the patch should be good to go by next weekend.

Hoping to squeeze a larger battlegrounds mission out as well 50vs50 any preference on which map(s) you'd most like to see?

Ok all the planned fixes and features for 2.64 are in place, hopefully nothing new will crop up over the next couple of days during tests, should it be needed we'll fix those next week and the patch should be good to go by next weekend.

Hoping to squeeze a larger battlegrounds mission out as well 50vs50 any preference on which map(s) you'd most like to see?

Merderet winter :p

I'd like to see both a big 50vs50 and small 5vs5 or 10vs10 :)

I doubt I'll be doing any smaller ones #'s wise, you can always turn off AI and play with less people possibly keeping everyone attacking only certain flags (e.g. you both cap the nearest flags on your side to the middle and fight over the center point). I can't really lessen the total number of players as that hard locks any server running the mission to that number of players. As we're trying to cater to the impressive response TvT gets when it does run we want to allow more players to join the fun. Now's the hard part of making the mission big enough for 100 but not too big it takes an hour to find anyone to actually kill!

Smaller PvP missions can be useful when there aren't many players joining. I remember seeing co=op servers getting filled up a lot faster than say Domination or Wasteland servers (although those do have a lot of players which is cool) Smaller PvP modes would also benefit private hosts. Not everyone plays on dedicated servers. Me and my friends host games sometimes privately and without a dedicated server that can support 50v50 modes ;)

The even better suggestion is (if possible) to make those missions dynamic as in select where east spawn will be on map and where west spawn will be on map so some scripts do the rest of the work dynamically while host specifies number of players, battleground width, length, etc. It's hard to implement something like this, and may not be worth all the effort if people don't want to play the game mode, but it's still a neat suggestion :) you can look at Advancing Power by Dragon Zen for reference.

Doubt you'll be seeing many developments on that (battle)front, in terms of scaling, it would require quite an intensive code rewrite to implement and change the basic structure to allow for that, or to develop a new system from scratch with our active members just don't have the time or experience to do. Really wouldn't be worth the effort with only the occasional pvp server popping up right now. Would much rather persue more I44 feature based large scale coop operations now that we are settling into a stable state across the board with the upcoming patches.

Still not too sure what could be done for smaller battlefronts other than to suggest editing some together yourselves. The system as is works in a very plug and play manner with pretty much 1 file and the mission itself that need to be altered the rest all works as standard as long as the required parts (flags, triggers, and playable units) are placed. If you do enjoy the gametype and want to see more I highly encourage taking a look and playing with making your own scenarios, if they play well send them over and we'll add them in!

Correct me if i i'm wrong because i'm not sure to have read all correctly:the patch release is expected around 26th 27th of january?

That is the plan yes, but we all know what happens to plans in war!

The news of the tank damage system is exciting. I bought Iron Front the other week and having de-pbo'd it and had a pore over the scripts - there are 83 covering the damage system and tank behaviour - they have done some good work in this area, which generally seems to work pretty well in game, although the tanks seem a little quick at times. However I44's other aspects feel much more realistic to me so looking forward to seeing what you guys have done in this area.

Edited by jiltedjock

All credit to I44 on the tank behavior, they seem to be the only ones - as far as I've noticed, that have been able to cure the erratic movement of the ai tank drivers, especially the tendency of the ai to over-steer left then right constantly.

It might be too late for the new armour system, but below is a good data chart for tank gun and anti-tank gun penetrations for all nations.

http://www.tarrif.net/cgi/production/all_penetration_adv.php

P.S. how has the work gone on the M10 and the Jagdpanther, any further down the line? Really looking forward to those.

I have a feature request: please add the big compass(similar to the one in ACE).Cause the default one it's very difficult to read and maybe set it to optional

thx

I have a feature request: please add the big compass(similar to the one in ACE).Cause the default one it's very difficult to read and maybe set it to optional

thx

Can't you just double-click it to have it enlarge in the map-screen? or are the small digits still hard to read?

I bought Iron Front the other week and having de-pbo'd it and had a pore over the scripts - there are 83 covering the damage system and tank behaviour - they have done some good work in this area, which generally seems to work pretty well in game, although the tanks seem a little quick at times.

Not having played IF I can't give any comparison myself, but only relate the feedback we've had from dedicated tank simmers testing the new system and they've largely been very impressed by the work over what they experienced in IF. So I really hope the community enjoy the changes and the enhanced realism this patch will bring to our armoured beasts!

It might be too late for the new armour system, but below is a good data chart for tank gun and anti-tank gun penetrations for all nations.

Animosity has gone through a number of sources to make sure these details are accounted for so you should be seeing accurate representations of both armour and ammo and their effects on each other. Nothing quite matches the feels when you hit a Panther square on the front from your Sherman and see it still chugging onwards with barely a dent. Numbers and tactics are going to be very important in tank warfare from now on, not just hitting your target and whittling down the armour regardless of location, direction, and ammo type as it has been in the past.

P.S. how has the work gone on the M10 and the Jagdpanther, any further down the line? Really looking forward to those.

As far as I know Mars has the base model for the M10 mostly ready but RL has been keeping him tied up so the last bunch of screenshot updates on our forum are about as far as it has come. I had hoped to incorporate it into the tank update with 2.64 but realistically you could be waiting a very long time. So tentatively putting it into 2.71's planned update. The JagdPanther main LOD is all done, it does however need all of its LOD's to be built, Macolik was in the process of doing this but again RL has taken away most of his dev time so when this will see the light of day is also up in the air so lumped into 2.71 as well for now.

Not being an ACE player I really don't have a point of reference for this at all. We can't just use resources from other mods without permission also I'm not sure how historically accurate that compass would be. If we were to replace our compass it would have to be an accurate period piece, but as its merely a visual element its not been a high priority. If you'd like to produce the textures for it we'd be happy to incorporate them, but its really not a high priority for us right now with a wealth of other work waiting to be done.

Can't you just double-click it to have it enlarge in the map-screen? or are the small digits still hard to read?

It may also have to do with gfx settings of interface size and your selected screen resolution. Again not something I'm familiar enough with to give advice on sorry!

Onto 2.64, I've just finished production of our first 50v50 Battlegrounds on Neaville, it uses a similar layout to the current mission on the same map with some tweaked capture point positions, vehicle selections and a completely overhauled class inventory. I think the new weapon selections should make other classes a lot more desireable and useful a well as making a much more intense battlefield. If all goes well with tests on it today I'll probably look at making one or two more if there is time, or at least converting some existing missions such as Merderet over using the existing layout just with added players. I have avoided taking the easier (and much more boring route) of just allowing the whole map to be playable as it seemed like this would just increase travel time rather than more exciting large encounters which is the aim. It looks like a lot of fun so far though and thats just running around with AI so I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can actually get 100 people playing. For 2.7 this larger battlegrounds mission type will be a focus again, as we'll finally be able to use planes properly without the current balance issues Merderet (the only battleground with planes so far) as well as add them other maps, and hopefully covering more ground as we'll be able to use transport planes etc. We're also investigating a large scale persistant gametype for post 2.7 using MSO that we'll talk about more in the future!

Thanks everyone for your continued support and patience, right now it looks like everything SHOULD be on track for this weekend so keep those digits crossed!

Wewt post 1440 on page 144!

Checked out the link for the files and just got a bunch of popup adds and fake downloader.exe's if someone can pass on the info/script/textures required for this I'll check it out for 2.7.

Nice one that worked cheers, doubt I'll have time to squeeze it in for 2.64 but deffo something we can sort for 2.7 no worries looks simple enough!

Not having played IF I can't give any comparison myself, but only relate the feedback we've had from dedicated tank simmers testing the new system and they've largely been very impressed by the work over what they experienced in IF. So I really hope the community enjoy the changes and the enhanced realism this patch will bring to our armoured beasts!

Animosity has gone through a number of sources to make sure these details are accounted for so you should be seeing accurate representations of both armour and ammo and their effects on each other. Nothing quite matches the feels when you hit a Panther square on the front from your Sherman and see it still chugging onwards with barely a dent. Numbers and tactics are going to be very important in tank warfare from now on, not just hitting your target and whittling down the armour regardless of location, direction, and ammo type as it has been in the past.

Sounds great, really looking forward to it. I really like the feel of the tanks in I44, obviously it helps that they look so good too :) . Does the new system lead to visible ricochets?

IF does have some interesting elements to it - the trenches are good, for example, and the tank warfare is much better than vanilla Arma - but the I44 content is superior IMO, and definitely has a more gritty/real feeling to it: things like the limited Panzerfaust range, slower movement speeds, weapon recoils, burning tank crew etc,. I am playing IF as a mod in my 1.62 install so have the benefit of ASR_AI, TPW suppression etc which helps a lot however I don't find myself returning to it much. I hope that down the line - maybe in a couple of years or post Arma 3 - there might be a coming together between games so that the wider Arma community are able to benefit from some of the work that the IF devs have done. For example there are some nice death anims in IF, which I have added into my I44 install as a little extra.

Nice one that worked cheers, doubt I'll have time to squeeze it in for 2.64 but deffo something we can sort for 2.7 no worries looks simple enough!

Much appreciated Pac

Does the new system lead to visible ricochets?

I believe so but then I've always seen the rounds bouncing all over the place, but I'm pretty sure this is something Animosity took into account with sloped armour/angle of fire etc. I think he has removed the burning tank crew running from the wreck for realism purposes though as by the time fires build the crew is either long since out of the vehicle, or already dead and burning inside it.

for sure but i have to admit that the burning tank crew was a really impressive and spectacular feature

for sure but i have to admit that the burning tank crew was a really impressive and spectacular feature

yeah, the first time I saw a screaming, burning crewman I was impressed too. However I guess that it is not the most realistic, although it might be for half track crew/passengers.

UK players who didn't catch it should try and catch Mark Urban's "Tankies" on the iPlayer. First part covers early war and desert, second part Normandy and beyond. Reasonably technical with some good footage - Urban was a Chieftain commander in his youth.