Sign in to follow this  
tedbell

Tank Shadows with new lighting engine - can you add them?

I was wondering if the vehicles, especially large ones such as tanks and trucks, would have cast shadows added? It seems that there is a lack of light blockage happening underneath the vehicles. The issue is very evident in this shot from the new Arma3 dev shots:

http://www.bistudio.com/images/stories/arma3/screenshots/Arma3_screenshot_1202_26.jpg

Perhaps they have just not been implemented yet, but vehicle shadows in the screenshot above - especially underneath the carriage - would really enhance the weight and mass of those type of objects. Just think of some nice deep shadows coupled with the newly implemented physcis! WOW!

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/wallpapers/1280x1024/m/m1a1_abrams_tank_shooting_-732.jpg

Arma3 is looking hot! Please add some of these vehicle shadows, I believe it will really sell the mass of all of the vehicles, especially the tanks!

Edited by Max Power
images too large

I think that the reason you don't see shadows is that screen looks like it was taken with some zoom in it and those tanks are probably beyond the range the engine draws shadows.

Or they are still working on it(or at the time those pictures where taken, we dont know how old they actually are)

edit: looking at a tank in Arma 2 it seems to have shadows, so I dont think they would do it bader than A2

arma2.jpg.jpg

Edited by paecmaker

tedbell

I didn't have time to mention this earlier but please do not post images greater than 100kb in size. The forum does resize them dimensionally but not in kilobytes.

Please take the time to review the forum rules above. The forum rules are usually enforced by infractions or other administrative actions.

§15) Do not hotlink images over 100kb (102400 bytes) in size

Do not link images over 100kb using the IMG tags to display an image in your post. If you wish to post an image larger then 100 kb feel free to post the URL instead of hotlinking.

Yeah, I don't think you can see the shadow because it has the classic, OFP BIS long shadows and time of day that they seem to like so much :D

Sorry! Thanks for changing them...

---------- Post added at 03:05 ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 ----------

Yeah, I don't think you can see the shadow because it has the classic, OFP BIS long shadows and time of day that they seem to like so much :D

I love the long shadows, too, but these are just missing. paecmaker's image gives an example of Arma2 shadows which look nice, so I am betting that they just haven't been added or turned on for those shots.