Sign in to follow this  
james mckenzie-smith

High Command template: The US Army Ranger platoon

When you get on the five-yard line, you're gonna need my Rangers.

I have further developed my HC menu system that I formerly introduced with my US Army armored bn template. This is a rather smaller unit, being only platoon sized. Battalion menu systems are all very well, but they do take a lot more time to create and test, so this platoon-sized one will have to do for now.

Features include:

- Halt and move commands for whole unit, or subunits

- Squad splitting and reforming

- Pn commander changing

- Retain HC control after Team Switch

- Orders for units to watch specific positions designated on the map

- Mounting and dismounting non-organic helicopters

- Placing of planning & tactical overlays during mission

- Next-in-command team switch units appear as casualties mount

There are other features. I am impatient to get this out the door, so I have NOT included a readme; some of the stuff should be obvious, but feel free to ask here if there is anything too perplexing.

There are a few things that I should clarify to limit frustration.

The basic organization of the menu system is based on a system that I have called UNIT WILL DO THIS. What this means is that, generally speaking, to get a unit to do something, you select the unit in question on the command menu, and then, in the sub-menu that appears, select the action that you wish the unit to undertake, and it will do it. Actions that end in the word "OUT" do not need further input from the player. Ones that end in "...OUT" - notice the three periods preceding the word 'out' - need to have a map click in order to instruct units as to where they are expected to go, or observe, or whatever it is the order in the menu is.

Note the command '...WATCH position...OUT' will get HC units to observe clicked map positions. Very useful, but remember to select '...OBSERVE own arcs, OUT' when the units move, or they will continue to observe the previously designated position ad infinitum.

There is a sub menu for air assault, which means helicopter insertions and extraction. This is a work in progress, and has driven me half frigging insane due to the tendency of AI pilots to bounce up and down when landing, or not turning their engines off after completing an RTB order. Also, note that in order to successfully land at either LZ or PZ, players will have to place invisible heli H landing pads (HeliHEmpty) using the 'Set landing position...' command on the 'OPORD Overlay' sub menu. Also note the option to hover low. This is currently of little use, but the plan is to give the Rangers a command using the GetOut action, so that the heli can drop them off over rougher terrain or on gentle to slightly steep slopes. With care, a player can orchestrate a pretty impressive air assault; without care, there are usually piles of bodies and fiery wreckage across Takistan. Practice makes perfect.

The OPORD Overlay menu deserves a mention. It can more or less be ignored by the player, but I find it useful, and should be useful for others interested in simulating patrol operations. The most important things to know are the command 'Set landing position...' mentioned above, that will put the invisible heli landing pad down for the benefit of the AI pilots. Without this, they can choose some pretty weird places to land, so best make use of them if air assault is your thing. Place them in an LZ or PZ marker so that you know where they are; they are otherwise invisible! Look out for obstacles and slopes that can cause problems for landing helis.

The OPORD Overlay commands 'Designate RP' and 'Designate RP 2' are somewhat important. They are Rally Points, and can be used with the platoon's command menu in an emergency (commands 'RALLY!' and 'RALLY 2!'). Basically, if things go really pear-shaped in a firefight, during an obstacle crossing, or under indirect fire, the player can order units to make for either RP, and they will do so without further input from the player. This is absolutely to be used only in an emergency, and it is important to checki the OPORD Overlay features on the map to update your RPs every so often to ensure that they are not too far away from the Rangers' current position. Alternatively, take care to NOT command units to retire to the RPs.

All of the other OPORD Overlay markers have player information functions only. Here is what they all mean: LZ is Landing Zone; PZ is Pick up Zone; DZ is Drop Zone (not yet used); OBJ means Objective; PP means Passage Point. The rest should be self-explanatory.

For more information about these functions, and Ranger operations in general, consult the US Army publication SH 21-76, the Ranger Handbook. It's available on Amazon. Also, the boardgame RANGER by Omega games is actually a useful training aid both for real military units, and for those wishing to make the most of the OPORD Overlay.

A final note on the OPORD Overlay. After placing a marker, select 'Confirm tactical overlay' on the OPORD menu and click on the map. You will need to do this in order to lock the last placed marker in place. Otherwise, the damned thing will follow your mouse clicks all over the place.

There is an Emergency sub menu. This has Rally commands, and some for the CASEVAC bird. This is incomplete, but using team switch, the player can use the heli - a Chinook - as a backup bird if one of the Black Hawks has a prang.

So, here is the template. Put it in your missions folder, which should have an address like this: C:\Users\...\Documents\ArmA 2\missions

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0wzzjneakuvk2ai

It is a template for mission designers. Included in the zip file is a text copy of the main menu. Alter this as you please, and ask questions of me if you need to. I will drop by this thread now and again. I will also hopefully make better documentation as time goes by. Also, feel free to use the Rangers in whatever mission you like, however you like, and altered in whatever way you like. Include the various menu features in your own menus and HC systems etc.. I don't expect credit, and I give permission freely. While this took many hours of my time, the real work was done by BIS and other clever coders; I'm just the monkey who put a few triggers and units down.

Edit: Arses. I forgot to put down the fire support assets. I'll get that done in the near future.

Edited by James McKenzie-Smith

Hey James! Really clever stuff here.

Tell me, would it be possible to implement this system for my mission (not sure if you have played it yet). It's Zonekillers Battlezone (randomly created friendly and enemy forces) with a host of other stuff. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132146-Kremator-presents-BattleZone-MSO-PatrolOps2-amp-ATCRabbit

What I'm thinking of is an AI builder with the option of players being able to control the battle as they see fit. Should the player relinquish HC control however, the forces return to their previous 'hunt' ability.

Possible ?

Is it just me but can't get it to run or show up in my editor.

Hello James, do you have a newer template? Because I just messed around with your template and made a kind of script version of it, but with less feature.

I only made the platoon leader and 2 subordinate. No sophisticated stuffs like in your feature list. An extra lite version if you will. If you want to look at it, I can email it to you or put up a download somewhere.

Hello James, do you have a newer template? Because I just messed around with your template and made a kind of script version of it, but with less feature.

I only made the platoon leader and 2 subordinate. No sophisticated stuffs like in your feature list. An extra lite version if you will. If you want to look at it, I can email it to you or put up a download somewhere.

Just saw this, I have not been around here much. Could you post what you've got? I would be interested. Also, I have done quite a bit more HC work (and other stuff), which I hope to share in the new year.

Cheers. I just had a look, and will probably have some questions at some point; basically, how to use certain features in-game. I do like what I have seen so far, nothing 'lite' about it. I will contact you when things are less busy, post-Christmas I'd imagine.

Edited by James McKenzie-Smith

Btw, there're probably a lot of junk scripts in there, because I was testing a lot of feature, but seems not working good enough. And some scripts reference to other scripts that's not included in the mission file. But the one that's used in the mission is the working one... I hope.

Well, anyway have a nice holiday... :)