Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

i know what you mean. I've already started playing ARMA just getting familiar with it.

Real purpose is that Im tired of none team play and I want real team play.

Good luck with that. Here's a bit of advice - find a community. A squad willing to work together. There are lots of them around.

No, they aren't thinking about people in this forum. They're thinking about the game attracting a lot of COD kids because of the graphics and improved animations, and therefore don't want those kids playing ArmA because they will taint the ArmA experience, and, judging by recent betas and alphas done by prominent, large studios, they don't want the ArmA3 alpha/beta to basically be a demo (most recent betas, excluding the GRFS beta, have basically been demos). They don't want those newcomers treating the Alpha like a demo, because they think that BIS won't be able to get real feedback from the alpha otherwise.

Duh? They complain that people will think - zomg alpha is buggy that means the final game will be too.

Seriously, no "CoD kid" is so dumb. BF3 beta was buggy as hell, making ArmA2 1.0 burst with envy. Who cares?

Kids won't taint anything. They will try it out then will come here bitching about it not playing like Battlefield and having stupid controls, then they will get told and leave forever. It's been like that for a while now.

The real reason why people don't want alpha to be open is to feel like a Special Flower, to sit on a high throne and be like "hoho I can play it and you can't". Which is kinda much worse than any "CoD kid" behaviour.

So, lulz, I will have to pay money for an alpha version because of some imaginary CoD kidz ruining the final game by, I don't know, taking BIS office hostage?

I don't buy that excuse.

The whole concept of pay-to-provide-feedback is beyond stupid. Studios paid for QA to make sure the game will be fine on release but now it's the usual people who must pay to do QA for a studio. I can't believe people are swallowing it here of all places and yet I hear about some "CoD kids"?

Edited by metalcraze

Duh? They complain that people will think - zomg alpha is buggy that means the final game will be too.

Seriously, no "CoD kid" is so dumb. BF3 beta was buggy as hell, making ArmA2 1.0 burst with envy. Who cares?

Kids won't taint anything. They will try it out then will come here bitching about it not playing like Battlefield and having stupid controls, then they will get told and leave forever. It's been like that for a while now.

The real reason why people don't want alpha to be open is to feel like a Special Flower, to sit on a high throne and be like "hoho I can play it and you can't". Which is kinda much worse than any "CoD kid" behaviour.

So, lulz, I will have to pay money for an alpha version because of some imaginary CoD kidz ruining the final game by, I don't know, taking BIS office hostage?

I don't buy that excuse.

Oh, I certainly don't agree that any COD kids will ruin the game or alpha or anything ArmA related. I do think some here have a sorta sense of elitism. And, yes, it certainly is a meritless excuse. I have actually seen mature adults playing COD. For one, the whole idea that adults play ArmA and kids play all the other shooters is ridiculous in itself. Not to mention BF3 players have the same kind of attitude towards COD players. It really is a sense of elitism. There are dumb kids in every community, INCLUDING ArmA. The "dumb kid" problem is not one that is exclusive to COD, not to the extent that you can label COD players "COD kids". Been on ArmA2 servers where there are kids on who act the same as if not worse than "COD kids". The only common factor is that they usually ARE kids. If there's any kids playing ArmA3 Alpha, it'll most likely be "ArmA2 kids", who are just that - kids. But, forum members here don't have a sense of that. Somehow there seems to be this sense that the only people who play ArmA2 are forum members. There are probably more people who aren't on the forums who play ArmA2 than there are here. So, you're right. The whole "COD kid ruins Alpha" argument is nothing more than an excuse.

Oh, I certainly don't agree that any COD kids will ruin the game or alpha or anything ArmA related. I do think some here have a sorta sense of elitism. And, yes, it certainly is a meritless excuse. I have actually seen mature adults playing COD. For one, the whole idea that adults play ArmA and kids play all the other shooters is ridiculous in itself. Not to mention BF3 players have the same kind of attitude towards COD players. It really is a sense of elitism. There are dumb kids in every community, INCLUDING ArmA. The "dumb kid" problem is not one that is exclusive to COD, not to the extent that you can label COD players "COD kids". Been on ArmA2 servers where there are kids on who act the same as if not worse than "COD kids". The only common factor is that they usually ARE kids. If there's any kids playing ArmA3 Alpha, it'll most likely be "ArmA2 kids", who are just that - kids. But, forum members here don't have a sense of that. Somehow there seems to be this sense that the only people who play ArmA2 are forum members. There are probably more people who aren't on the forums who play ArmA2 than there are here. So, you're right. The whole "COD kid ruins Alpha" argument is nothing more than an excuse.

Believing that COD kids will ruin the game is out of the question for me. Just like you said about having Adults in COD game, there's Adults in every game, but the real deal is that all these people

who play Arcade games are most likely wont be interested playing such tough game. I'm HC Vet of BF titles and getting into Arma was a whole new Step for me.

I've asked and tried my old Clan and Wolf Pack to try this game, answer was (FK that...)

Now I can't say that players from COD or BF games can't play this game, its your option. I personally play BF and ARMA and love both

Believing that COD kids will ruin the game is out of the question for me. Just like you said about having Adults in COD game, there's Adults in every game, but the real deal is that all these people

who play Arcade games are most likely wont be interested playing such tough game. I'm HC Vet of BF titles and getting into Arma was a whole new Step for me.

I've asked and tried my old Clan and Wolf Pack to try this game, answer was (FK that...)

Now I can't say that players from COD or BF games can't play this game, its your option. I personally play BF and ARMA and love both

Oh, I've played the MWs and BF. It's definitely possible to play arcade shooters and ArmA. You've just got to play both the way they're designed to be played. But, I totally agree with you. The point about adults in COD was just to illustrate that even in those COD games there are adults who play. It's not ArmA is a mature game while every other arcade shooter is ridden with kids. I can't stand BF3 though. Not because it's an arcade shooter. I can't stand the bugs, the shooting mechanics, the often one-sided matches, the fact that the classes aren't balanced. But I also enjoy certain other shooters, like MOH.

Ultimately, getting back on topic here, if someone tries the ArmA3 alpha, it'll be because they are interested in ArmA3 for whatever reason. And anyone interested in ArmA3 will come in at least knowing that it is a simulator, I hope. Needless to say, there's nothing to fear from an open Alpha.

I was browsing the net for some Arma 3 coverage and I found quite an old czech article (27th Feb) that not only mentions Alpha version, but also Beta. I don't remember seeing that anywhere alse, maybe I just missed that... or maybe the author of that article misunderstood the concept of post-release beta patches. The literal translation says:

The community alpha will be quite limited in terms of content. The purpose is to provide enough content to test new technologies and game mechanics.
Later that year the game should enter a beta-phase, opening even more.

I was browsing the net for some Arma 3 coverage and I found quite an old czech article (27th Feb) that not only mentions Alpha version, but also Beta. I don't remember seeing that anywhere alse, maybe I just missed that...

You must have missed it. Both pre-release alpha and beta were confirmed. :)

The Community Alpha will be quite limited in terms of the assets it includes, with the goal of providing enough content to experiment with the brand new bits of gameplay and technology. It also enables our passionate community to prepare their mods for the very latest version of the Real Virtuality engine. Then, later on in the year, we'd like to open up our game up even further with a more extensive beta program. The exact details, however, we intend to set out closer to their launch.

E3 isn't until June 5-7, 2012. You must be patient.

I always get a little scared when I hear about people moving from Battlefield or Call of Duty to the ArmA series.

I highly suggest you purchase ArmA X to familiarize yourself with the complete series. ArmA is a very sophisticated game with completely unscripted AI. The AI has a mind of its own and you must think smart. Do not just run and gun like you may do in Battlefield.

The AI is in some ways comparable to COD AI in a very closed enviroment. What I mean is that in some missions in MW the gameplay enviroment was open to some degree and you had to play "smarter" then AI (while defending the cottage it was essential to lay down mines propperly and have a sound defense plan, moving in the giant scrap yard meant to be very careful and plan your next move so that you do not end in middle of a fire-fight). I've played all the COD games and all the ARMA games and it is not true that COD would never require you to play smart (on high difficulties). In arma you have mainly have to be more careful, taking it slow, but the AI is limited in many ways. And I see no reason to buy ArmA X - in my point of view it should not be a problem to buy ARMA II and learn things the propper way (tutorials, missions, campaign, MP). You're making ARMA to look like a bigger problem it really is ;)

You must have missed it. Both pre-release alpha and beta were confirmed. :)

Yep, that's the case. Thanks for confirming :)

i hope i can play the alpha, i am a beta tester of Rfactor 2,and have been Battlefield alpha and beta, diablo 3, reporting feedback everytime i noticed something was wrong.

i hope i can play the alpha, i am a beta tester of Rfactor 2,and have been Battlefield alpha and beta, diablo 3, reporting feedback everytime i noticed something was wrong.

No need to post your past beta experience to try to get into Alpha. At this point, we don't even know if past testing experience will be required to join the Alpha. It could be dependent on pre-order. It could be free and open. It could be closed to only invited members. We just don't know yet. Good to see you've been in tests before. Don't think Battlefield Alpha and Beta count for much (at least, BF3 alpha and beta- I was also in those).

Who else here accepted the Alpha test email invitation, it said testers are picked randomly, I want to know who else here will be testing.

Who else here accepted the Alpha test email invitation, it said testers are picked randomly, I want to know who else here will be testing.

I did... so did my friends Slammer Joe and xXEliteTacops93Xx...:cool:

That being said... I'm really curious if BIS will build some test scenarios or juts let us go crazy with it and hope we stumble upon something out of place. I'm talking about feature and content integration and not performnace.

I'm really curious if BIS will build some test scenarios or juts let us go crazy with it and hope we stumble upon something out of place. I'm talking about feature and content integration and not performnace.

The details are on the notification email, just follow the link.

Always funny when there's a troll but no one bites. :D

I guess I got trolled... They had me convinced I was one of the unlucky ones that would be excluded from the alpha. That was really cruel! :p

I've been MIA for a while but what's the deal with getting an email to the alpha/beta? I've seen it mentioned here but can't seem to find where I sign up for said email. Also, I see the website says Q4. June 2012 fell thru? Like I said, I've been gone a while. :)

I've been MIA for a while but what's the deal with getting an email to the alpha/beta? I've seen it mentioned here but can't seem to find where I sign up for said email. Also, I see the website says Q4. June 2012 fell thru? Like I said, I've been gone a while. :)

Thats just people jokin -theres no official word yet.

Thats just people jokin -theres no official word yet.

Gracias.

well, lets just hope they don't go the same route as CC where they ask ppl to pay/pre order before they can test the alpha/beta or any other testing phase of the game. When I saw that I was blown away, why would you force ppl to pre order a game that they are testing? I mean, that is the purpose of a "test" to see if you can run the game or even like the game, from the buyers perspective. All the data feedback & the like is important from their side & needed, which they would get anyway. So I hope the alpha & beta are free to "try" & not something ppl have to pay for.

well, lets just hope they don't go the same route as CC where they ask ppl to pay/pre order before they can test the alpha/beta or any other testing phase of the game. When I saw that I was blown away, why would you force ppl to pre order a game that they are testing? I mean, that is the purpose of a "test" to see if you can run the game or even like the game, from the buyers perspective. All the data feedback & the like is important from their side & needed, which they would get anyway. So I hope the alpha & beta are free to "try" & not something ppl have to pay for.

What you want my friend, is a Demo...

Testing the game, is not for the player enjoyment (only), but the main thing here is to Test the game mechanics, give feedback (Probably create tickets with repros within Dev-Heaven), and that's it!

Ofc, if you want to test the game before you buy, wait for the Demo...

Paying to get your hands on an early preview and then take an active role in testing the game is all part of the fun. If you don't want to just buy it when it's released! No one is forcing you to buy a half built game and then log bugs!

I pre-purchased ToH, DCS airframes etc and it's way more interesting than waiting for a release. The enthusiastic members don't have a problem with this whilst the general public get a product thats had way more testing than BIS could budget for, so what's the problem. It's much better than the release date being pushed back another 9 months so they can test it with an internal QA team.

Dont like it, i want the real game not just on steam and to pre order it on a store i wont get accses to the Alpha .V of Arma 3.

why would you force ppl to pre order a game that they are testing?

Force? Seriously you must have a very boring life if you are posting here but don't even intend on buying the game. lol