Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Realism? Where did I say a single word about realism? I said: Operation Flashpoint.

It sold over 2 million copies, now try to convince me it wasn't a success.

I wasn't talking about realism. I was talking about opinions. As I said, somebody who enjoys realism is going to focus on different virtues of OFP than those who enjoy a less strict focus.

Also, to cheer these discussions up, I am now going to start adding at least one smiley to each post I make. :D

I wasn't talking about realism. I was talking about opinions. As I said, somebody who enjoys realism is going to focus on different virtues of OFP than those who enjoy a less strict focus.

Also, to cheer these discussions up, I am now going to start adding at least one smiley to each post I make. :D

There's no need for smileys. Yes, you are right, the opinions vary. Now the questions is - what is going to become of Arma3?

The same as what became of Morrowind in Skyrim, I'd say.

Eh, I guess that's the way things go. Let it be.

But tell me: Why those who don't enjoy realism won't just play Battlefield? If Arma3 becomes what majority would like it to be, there'd be nothing else for us...

Well see heres the thing about "truley devoted" members, what makes a member truley devoted exactly? A post count surely doesn't, that just shows how much you talk usually, does an addon creator count? Are we not all that in some way, and do most of us not remain silent while working on things? Are people who show more of what is obvious considered more devoted? IE coders vs texture and model artists, they all work hard but the coding hardly as visible. Is it people who visit and interview? If that were the case then the list would be much smaller, but the thing to remember is that they are trying to make Arma3 a bit more..accessible as well, this means that it's not JUST for us, therefore having only us test it would derail the overall goal.

Bohemia isn't under a the reigns of a large publisher, and the engine is practicly their baby, therefore I would trust that they wouldn't turn it to something more like the rest, I'd say even the preview videos are a good indication of that so far, they aren't explosive action marketting for one. Lets just wait and see what the next E3 brings before we let paranoia get the best of us.

Well, I'm sorry, but it's really hard to measure who is a truly devoted member. There are members who made accounts in 2001 and have 3 posts total (posts made well before my time here). That's "since OFP", yet 3 posts made a long time ago accounts for the sum total of their interest in BIS's games.

If you measure dedication or knowledge in post count, there's something really wrong with you. I guess i can explain why you put your 2 cents in every thread out there...

Let's take you as an example. Out of the current 794 post your have, about 700 or so is what i consider meaningless posts. Out of the same amount, more than half are made in A3 forums. None, or under 2% are in the editing section, in reply to questions from other members.

so the devoted member just went out the window.

It'll be open. It'll be free. Beta might be a different story. And what are the "unnecessaries"?

Yet another opinion turned to fact, just because you believe in it?

take a chill pill

If you measure dedication or knowledge in post count, there's something really wrong with you. I guess i can explain why you put your 2 cents in every thread out there...

Let's take you as an example. Out of the current 794 post your have, about 700 or so is what i consider meaningless posts. Out of the same amount, more than half are made in A3 forums. None, or under 2% are in the editing section, in reply to questions from other members.

so the devoted member just went out the window.

Yet another opinion turned to fact, just because you believe in it?

take a chill pill

For the first point. I'm not saying that post count is a measure of dedication. I'm using that as an example of why it's difficult if not impossible to measure dedication and make decisions based on someone's dedication in the first place. What I'm saying is that you have example of people who joined in 2001 and who only made 3 posts early on and didn't make anymore. That make look like they were there from the beginning, but they may have left OFP and stopped caring about BIS games, OR they may still play BIS games and just not post. The POINT is that you CAN'T judge dedication and commitment. It's in response to Vultar's request that BIS decide who can get into the Alpha by essentially their "devotedness", which by mentioning OFP he basically suggested join date. That's my point. I'm saying what you are saying, if you would have read my whole post. I'm saying you CAN'T determine who gets in the alpha by when they joined, or by what game they played when. Also, explain to me how BIS is going to stress test their multiplayer with a handful of people. For the second point, yes, it's been very strongly hinted that the Community Alpha will be testing Multiplayer. Take a chill pill, PuFu, and stop being so eager to discredit my posts. Exactly what you accused me of is exactly what Vultar was saying.

@Vultar: How is what I posted spam? I merely responded to your request with the reasons why I disagree. It's called a discussion. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with you, then maybe you shouldn't be discussing things in a forum. And, if you recognized that this discussion already took place, then why did you even bring it up? Why mention criteria for getting into the Alpha when you knew we already had this discussion a long time ago? And I don't care about post counts, exactly why I said that you can't judge how devoted someone is by when they joined, or by what game they played X amount of years ago.

Edited by antoineflemming

This "who is worthy of an open beta" discussion again? Really? The feedback to BIS will be most likely provided by the BugTracker where members can rate ALL other entries, so if someone goes through all the trouble of actually registering and posting "Teh eXplozionz sux, I can haz BF3 physx?!!11!" the entry will simply be ignored, so the useless feedback spamming should not be an issue.

I think this "worthiness" notion is entirely misplaced, the alpha will not be any kind of mass ideas trawl, it will be a bug-hunt among already established gameplay. As such, it doesn't make much sense to actively exclude anybody, as there's no way to know what configuration PCs anybody has. Literally, the more the better.

This "who is worthy of an open beta" discussion again? Really? The feedback to BIS will be most likely provided by the BugTracker where members can rate ALL other entries, so if someone goes through all the trouble of actually registering and posting "Teh eXplozionz sux, I can haz BF3 physx?!!11!" the entry will simply be ignored, so the useless feedback spamming should not be an issue.

Well we wouldn't be having this discussion if Vultar hadn't brought it up again. I'll remember to just ignore a post about "devotedness" the next time someone brings it up. Should have just ignored it in the first place.

I think this "worthiness" notion is entirely misplaced, the alpha will not be any kind of mass ideas trawl, it will be a bug-hunt among already established gameplay. As such, it doesn't make much sense to actively exclude anybody, as there's no way to know what configuration PCs anybody has. Literally, the more the better.

Which is what I have been saying.

Honestly, there's no real point to even keeping this thread open. The announcement was made, there's no point in speculating about the Community Alpha until BIS releases more info. Thread really just needs to be closed.

@antoine, remember its the internet, where, if someone disagrees with you they are wrong ;)

@vultar, you wanted people to discuss giving the alpha to certain people, if you want a discussion then dont call other peoples ideas spam. getting back to it, ive been playing BIS games since OFP first game out, been modding since arma1 and am damn well gonna do it for arma 3. but since i only got an account in 08..does that i mean i miss out cause i wasnt on the forums that long? seems a bit unfair no?

@antoine, remember its the internet, where, if someone disagrees with you they are wrong ;)

@vultar, you wanted people to discuss giving the alpha to certain people, if you want a discussion then dont call other peoples ideas spam. getting back to it, ive been playing BIS games since OFP first game out, been modding since arma1 and am damn well gonna do it for arma 3. but since i only got an account in 08..does that i mean i miss out cause i wasnt on the forums that long? seems a bit unfair no?

Of course not. I think that people should start reading posts before they answer.

Read my posts again, all the answers are there. Cheers.

Looking forward to it, slowly counting down the days to E3, at which I assume BIS will be at showing the current version.

Then it's just waiting for the announcement. One quick question would be, will it include a full mission editor/dumbed down version or just be scenarios?

I never participated in the previous alpha/betas so if anyone knows it'd be appreciated.

I find it funny how many people ITT think that this community is full of morons who won't be able to tell the alpha version from a final game.

I find it funny how many people ITT think that this community is full of morons who won't be able to tell the alpha version from a final game.

No, they aren't thinking about people in this forum. They're thinking about the game attracting a lot of COD kids because of the graphics and improved animations, and therefore don't want those kids playing ArmA because they will taint the ArmA experience, and, judging by recent betas and alphas done by prominent, large studios, they don't want the ArmA3 alpha/beta to basically be a demo (most recent betas, excluding the GRFS beta, have basically been demos). They don't want those newcomers treating the Alpha like a demo, because they think that BIS won't be able to get real feedback from the alpha otherwise.

I think it's just fear on the part of certain members. Honestly, this is my opinion on the matter. IF these COD kids (some of which will inevitably try the Alpha, if it's open and free) like and stick with the Alpha, and don't just quit, then that will mean one of two things:

1) They welcome ArmA3's realistic gameplay

or

2) ArmA3 has become like their favorite arcade shooter

If it's the first outcome, then that's good I guess, someone else tired of arcade shooters. If it's the second, then there are bigger problems than just COD kids saturating the Alpha.

No, they aren't thinking about people in this forum. They're thinking about the game attracting a lot of COD kids because of the graphics and improved animations, and therefore don't want those kids playing ArmA because they will taint the ArmA experience, and, judging by recent betas and alphas done by prominent, large studios, they don't want the ArmA3 alpha/beta to basically be a demo (most recent betas, excluding the GRFS beta, have basically been demos). They don't want those newcomers treating the Alpha like a demo, because they think that BIS won't be able to get real feedback from the alpha otherwise.

I think it's just fear on the part of certain members. Honestly, this is my opinion on the matter. IF these COD kids (some of which will inevitably try the Alpha, if it's open and free) like and stick with the Alpha, and don't just quit, then that will mean one of two things:

1) They welcome ArmA3's realistic gameplay

or

2) ArmA3 has become like their favorite arcade shooter

If it's the first outcome, then that's good I guess, someone else tired of arcade shooters. If it's the second, then there are bigger problems than just COD kids saturating the Alpha.

there is no way in hell arma will ever be like a COD game...

That depends more on the gamers playing it than the game itself. Sometimes, during online havoc play, I have to ask myself if I joined a COD convention or something, it's really that bad at times.

In the Navy we have a saying that when it comes to equipment or anything rather, that sailors would "lose it, break it or abuse it". I look forward to using this skills on the Alpha. The more diverse the user and computer setup is, the better. Because, to paraphrase what the man (Albert Einstein) said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." The same holds true with the same user with the same equipment attempting to get a different result. I can't wait BIS !!

there is no way in hell arma will ever be like a COD game...

My point, which then leaves only the 1st option:

If these feared players, who "don't care" about ArmA3 or actually providing feedback, stick around instead of dropping out of the beta, then they'll do that because it's something they like in ArmA3, which really couldn't be anything more than they welcome ArmA3's realism. And if they welcome ArmA3's realism, and embrace it, then what's the problem? Ultimately, there's nothing to fear when it comes to a free Alpha. So I don't see why people like Vultar are so concerned with who tests the Alpha.

Will the some of the new scripting commands be documented for the alpha?

My 1st post on this forums...

Woow just wow. Arma3 Looks too good :D

Leaving BF2 and BF3 for Arma games. Where was I before :yay:

E3 isn't until June 5-7, 2012. You must be patient.

I always get a little scared when I hear about people moving from Battlefield or Call of Duty to the ArmA series.

I highly suggest you purchase ArmA X to familiarize yourself with the complete series. ArmA is a very sophisticated game with completely unscripted AI. The AI has a mind of its own and you must think smart. Do not just run and gun like you may do in Battlefield.

Edited by Nicholas

E3 isn't until June 5-7, 2012. You must be patient.

I always get a little scared when I hear about people moving from Battlefield or Call of Duty to the ArmA series.

I highly suggest you purchase ArmA X to familiarize yourself with the complete series. ArmA is a very sophisticated game with completely unscripted AI. The AI has a mind of its own and you must think smart. Do not just run and gun like you may do in Battlefield.

i know what you mean. I've already started playing ARMA just getting familiar with it.

Real purpose is that Im tired of none team play and I want real team play.