Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Erm... I hate to point it out, but it technically is a game. Realism can only go so far.
yeah but its always good to get as close to making it feel real as possible. and sometimes movement in arma feels far from real.

Erm... I hate to point it out, but it technically is a game. Realism can only go so far.

You're missing the point. When I walk around in a game and jump etc it shouldn't feel and look like super mario ie a video game, it should feel and look realistic.

"More fluid" does not have to equal "as in Battlefield 3". The movement in ArmA2 does feel somewhat clunky and I think all hardcore ArmA players would appreciate a more fluid movement system if it is done in a way that fits the gameplay of the series.

"More fluid" does not have to equal "as in Battlefield 3". The movement in ArmA2 does feel somewhat clunky and I think all hardcore ArmA players would appreciate a more fluid movement system if it is done in a way that fits the gameplay of the series.

Battlefield 3 is mentioned because it's animations are the most fluid of any shooter that's been out. That's the only reason. And this is talking strictly animations, no movement system (as BF3's sliding sucks). But I bet ArmA3's animations will be fluid and the movement realistic. And more shooters are coming out that have fluid animations, like GRFS (which supposedly has animations mocapped by former SF). So I think that we won't be seeing BF3 used as a standard for fluid animations for too much longer. If anything, after E3, no one here will mention BF3.

ArmA has mocapped animations to. Motion capture can actually contribute to clunkiness because the animations all have to transition to other states. And you can't do perfect motion capture for all that. Eventually the devs have to code stuff on their own, and then you get some stiffness.

ArmA has mocapped animations to. Motion capture can actually contribute to clunkiness because the animations all have to transition to other states. And you can't do perfect motion capture for all that. Eventually the devs have to code stuff on their own, and then you get some stiffness.

Simply explaining why BF3 is continually brought up. Oh, and yeah, good, realistic motion capture without proper transitions isn't really that great. But I wouldn't say that motion capture contributes to clunkiness (as if there is some plus side to hand-animated animations). It's more likely the lack of good transitions between animations that accounts for clunkiness - that and the fact that you can't interrupt actions and animations.

When is E3 anyway?

And did anyone ever play the Infiltration mod for UT? (I refuse to call it UT99). I thought that had a very good movement system and superb weapon handling. Every weapon had it's own animations for reloading etc.. Even to the point of the MP5 requiring ejecting the round in the chamber on a tactical reload (it had the .40AE variant).

I really can´t wait to read the first complains about the game does not work properly and how could a game be released with such a worse status of development :D ...I am pretty sure that those post will come up and we´d make bets about when comes the first one...the winner gets a kiss of a horse :D

according to the news (from feb)...awesome stuff and I cant wait to purchase the Alpha to see what we´ll get.

Thanks BIS.

Edited by MemphisBelle

I really can´t wait to read the first complains about the game does not work properly and how could a game be released with such a worse status of development :D ...I am pretty sure that those post will come up and we´d make bets about when comes the first one...the winner gets a kiss of a horse :D

Well it will be an alpha, so expect complaints, rants, whining, but also expect some constructive feedback. The trick is to sort the chaff from the Wheat.

according to the nes (from feb)...awesome stuff and I cant wait to purchase the Alpha to see what we´ll get.

Thanks BIS.

Know one knows if it is going to be people who pre-purchase that get access to the alpha. I suspect those Pr8 guys could be busily trying to hack in as I type .. ;-) I hope it is a time expired free alpha...once you track it down... and a pre-paid beta access, I guess we will see at E3. Currently from the screenies it is looking very very good. Lets see what the video's bring.

Edited by gonk

I'm excited for the java that will (most likely? Surely?) come with the Alpha.

It's about time I learn something besides .sqf...

I'm excited for the java that will (most likely? Surely?) come with the Alpha.

Yeah but from what I have heard in the TOH forum it was not good as people could expect. But it still time for BIS to give us something awesome.

I think it would be the best for BIS' sake to only release CA for the trully devoted members of the community.

People that have been here since Ofp. - to avoid giving alpha to those with only temporary interest to play something during summer.

Trusted clans like, for instance, ShackTac.

Talented modders who, obviously, know the engine.

Why?

To avoid the "unnecessaries". Maximize feedback. Configure the game so that veterans are satisfied.

Without them Arma would be long dead.

If it's for the good cause, I won't take part in alpha. I am not a modder, I study (dont tell me it's summer, please) so I dont have much time.

Every sacrifice is worth it.

What do you guys think? Keep the discussion civil.

I think it would be the best for BIS' sake to only release CA for the trully devoted members of the community.

People that have been here since Ofp. - to avoid giving alpha to those with only temporary interest to play something during summer.

Why?

To avoid the "unnecessaries". Maximize feedback. Configure the game so that veterans are satisfied.

If it's for the good cause, I won't take part in alpha. I am not a modder, I study (dont tell me it's summer, please) so I dont have much time.

The Alpha should be public. It is meant to stress test the game and not only veterans can do that. BIS could include a short video with the installer which explains the goal of the Alpha and outline some test scenarios for the players ( both new and old). If 30% of the new players follow the instructions and submit proper feedback, I say it's a win. Also it is good to take feedback from players that did not have contact or very limited contact with ArmA. They see things that we ignore.

The Beta can be closed or payed.

Why?

I think that is a bad idea, the last thing you want is a bunch of elitists trying to get the game changed to how they think BIS "should have done it all along". You want a spread of different styles of gamers and different levels of interest for a balanced feedback. That's my thought on it anyway.

I hope the point of the Alpha is to route out bad bugs across a wide range of hardware and get an idea of performance and also to give some feedback on newly implemented features.

Configure the game so that veterans are satisfied.

Hmm, I get the feeling some people are expecting it to be some vehicle for getting BIS to alter the game to there vision of what Arma should be. This will suck and cause lots of arguments, so I hope that is not the case.

The Alpha will be great for eliminating those terrible bugs that dogged previous initial releases. People need to trust BIS with the game play aspect and not try to use this to change the fundamentals of the game.

Why?

Ugh, I hope not. Really the bestest and most fair way would be to have Suma and Maruk drive around in a black van and abduct us so called faithful in burlap sacks and then put us thru extreme stress/dedication tests. Can you mustard walking across Chernarus in one keystroke while Ani Defranco is blared in your ears? Can you halo onto a 1mx1m bullseye with your non-dominant hand after drinking all nite with those guys while subject to relentless Czech insults and ridiculing? Are we men enough?

Dunno. Waiting for van.

The Alpha should be public. It is meant to stress test the game and not only veterans can do that. BIS could include a short video with the installer which explains the goal of the Alpha and outline some test scenarios for the players ( both new and old). If 30% of the new players follow the instructions and submit proper feedback, I say it's a win. Also it is good to take feedback from players that did not have contact or very limited contact with ArmA. They see things that we ignore.

This.. should be propably sticky

@Froggyluv - :cool: , well said

Seeing as the Alpha will most likely be multiplayer (that taken from a hint from Ivan), it should and will probably be an open alpha.

The Alpha should be public. Also it is good to take feedback from players that did not have contact or very limited contact with ArmA. They see things that we ignore.

I see reason in this answer.

I think that is a bad idea, the last thing you want is a bunch of elitists trying to get the game changed to how they think BIS "should have done it all along".

Hmm, I get the feeling some people are expecting it to be some vehicle for getting BIS to alter the game to there vision of what Arma should be. This will suck and cause lots of arguments, so I hope that is not the case.

It's not about being "as we see it fit". It's about being true to original idea of Operation Flashpoint.

Ugh, I hope not. Really the bestest and most fair way would be to have Suma and Maruk drive around in a black van and abduct us so called faithful in burlap sacks and then put us thru extreme stress/dedication tests. Can you mustard walking across Chernarus in one keystroke while Ani Defranco is blared in your ears? Can you halo onto a 1mx1m bullseye with your non-dominant hand after drinking all nite with those guys while subject to relentless Czech insults and ridiculing? Are we men enough?

Dunno. Waiting for van.

Come at me, bros

It's not about being "as we see it fit". It's about being true to original idea of Operation Flashpoint.

That's the problem. Everybody's opinionated, and what a die-hard-über-realist-pros-only-no-nooblords-you-need-a-mic-to-play-this-game realism fan is going to be vastly different from a more lenient player.

Well, I'm sorry, but it's really hard to measure who is a truly devoted member. There are members who made accounts in 2001 and have 3 posts total (posts made well before my time here). That's "since OFP", yet 3 posts made a long time ago accounts for the sum total of their interest in BIS's games. So time (which is what you're getting at) isn't a really good measure. There's post count, but then again, how do you judge what amount of posts translates to dedication? Another hard thing to do. And, basically, we already had this discussion months ago. And it boiled down to this: Either it'll be preorder to test the Alpha or it'll be open and free.

As I said and others have said, Alpha will be about stress testing, AND about testing BIS's new MP direction for ArmA3. There have been multiple hints that this will be a multiplayer Alpha. You're not going to stress test anything with only a handful of people. Defeats the purpose of a stress test. It'll be open. It'll be free. Beta might be a different story. And what are the "unnecessaries"?

@antoineflemming, I answered all of your questions in the post you've quoted.

I see your spam in every thread. It annoys me.

Indeed, what you said had already been said, so, guess what, you don't need to say it again.

I hate postcountwhores.

That's the problem. Everybody's opinionated, and what a die-hard-über-realist-pros-only-no-nooblords-you-need-a-mic-to-play-this-game realism fan is going to be vastly different from a more lenient player.

Realism? Where did I say a single word about realism? I said: Operation Flashpoint.

It sold over 2 million copies, now try to convince me it wasn't a success.