Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

It's mind-numbing at first but once you crack that bug you feel like an ARMA god. It's somewhat like the testing euphoria that GLaDOS gets in Portal 2! It's not rare for me to enjoy bug hunting.

And the feeling gets even better the day when you do something verry complex, start it in the expectation of errors popping up - and it just works!

I think the critical point in starting to feel good about scripting is when you progress so much that you are able to help others more than you need help yourself. A few years ago I was doing all the asking here.

It's mind-numbing at first but once you crack that bug you feel like an ARMA god. It's somewhat like the testing euphoria that GLaDOS gets in Portal 2! It's not rare for me to enjoy bug hunting.

For sure! Once you find out what was wrong, then you rarely have to worry about that issue again, because you know how to watch out for it.

And the feeling gets even better the day when you do something verry complex, start it in the expectation of errors popping up - and it just works!

It's like a drug.

I think the critical point in starting to feel good about scripting is when you progress so much that you are able to help others more than you need help yourself. A few years ago I was doing all the asking here.

Exactly. SQF/SQS are my first languages. I remember starting out being clueless. Then slowly progressing. Then I found out how to use forEach and Count and a whole array (hehe) of possibilities opened up to me. And the drug goes on...

@Celery, and if peoples know more and can assist to BIS improve game, he must be recruited ;) likes you mate! :)

Its really fun when you run into engine limitations and get to yell at Dwarden on Skype all night.

Poor Dwarden. :(

:P

I think the lighting looks superb, cant wait.

@ celery LOL I remember when your posts were questions instead of answers, and look at you now! :cool:

Its really fun when you run into engine limitations and get to yell at Dwarden on Skype all night.

Poor Dwarden. :(

:P

realy :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sweet, hope alpha will be shortly E3.. uhh ohh... can't wait to script some missions on Arma 3

I hope everyone understands why BIS is asking the community to help out with an Alpha. There is a significant difference between a fully released commercial product and an alpha, some may have seen the difference in Battlefield 3 Alpha compared to release, obviously ArmA 3 will be on a much larger scale.

I understand everyone is keen to get their hands on the game, just remember to keep in the back of your mind that BIS are releasing this so we can all help test the game, not just enjoy it as a commercial product. I'm sure more information will be released sooner to release of Alpha in regards how to document and report bugs, crashes, script errors etc, but that's fundamentally the purpose of an Alpha, to test the game and report anything that isn't smooth or normal.

I just thought I should share all this so people don't see the 'alpha' as a demo. It's a testing platform for the community to use to HELP BIS, not to download and use as a demo for the final game.

The only piece of information I can share in regards to being apart of Alphas and BETAs of big commercial games in the past is never assume that a bug has already been reported, it doesn't matter if it's listed twice, as long as it's listed. BIS need our help to make the final release of ArmA 3 as smooth and enjoyable as possible, and I hope everyone is on board to help make that happen. I'm sure everyone will enjoy getting their hands on ArmA 3 too :)

-Antipop

Edited by the_antipop

I hope everyone understands why BIS is asking the community to help out with an Alpha. There is a significant difference between a fully released commercial product and an alpha, some may have seen the difference in Battlefield 3 Alpha compared to release, obviously ArmA 3 will be on a much larger scale.

I understand everyone is keen to get their hands on the game, just remember to keep in the back of your mind that BIS are releasing this so we can all help test the game, not just enjoy it as a commercial product. I'm sure more information will be released sooner to release of Alpha in regards how to document and report bugs, crashes, script errors etc, but that's fundamentally the purpose of an Alpha, to test the game and report anything that isn't smooth or normal.

I just thought I should share all this so people don't see the 'alpha' as a demo. It's a testing platform for the community to use to HELP BIS, not to download and use as a demo for the final game.

The only piece of information I can share in regards to being apart of Alphas and BETAs of big commercial games in the past is never assume that a bug has already been reported, it doesn't matter if it's listed twice, as long as it's listed. BIS need our help to make the final release of ArmA 3 as smooth and enjoyable as possible, and I hope everyone is on board to help make that happen. I'm sure everyone will enjoy getting their hands on ArmA 3 too :)

-Antipop

^^ all of the above.

Regardless, we can expect a whole bunch of "wtf this shit is unplayable!" posts once the alpha is released. Such is the way of things.

^^ all of the above.

Regardless, we can expect a whole bunch of "wtf this shit is unplayable!" posts once the alpha is released. Such is the way of things.

Dont mean to sound disrespectful but why is it such a big concern of everyone's? I think BIS is well aware that the alpha will get coments like this but as they mentioned its target is to test all hardware issues and eliminate as many bugs as possible for the full release, which i think will pay off even if they get hundreds of those OMG it doesnt work1337 posts. Necessary evil to get everything right.

Indeed not everyone is simply capable on reporting bugs the way CTI requires but I do believe the community will do their best to help BIS to get their release the finest yet, greatly overshadowing the OMG fix it reports.

I still suck at mission making, scripting you name it, but I should I find some issue, one can always ask for further opinion on this very forums before I submit and if not, well than I've tryied right? :cool:

BIS need our help to make the final release of ArmA 3 as smooth and enjoyable as possible, and I hope everyone is on board to help make that happen. I'm sure everyone will enjoy getting their hands on ArmA 3 too

Only if BIS begin listen community, because community its MAIN customer for his product...

Just looking for A2, how many bugs, issues you see on tracker, and how many features proposed by users and maded AddOns by community, but less amount realised, I hope A3 be more better 10x /facepalm

But in nova days we see a Wish list, we are very hoped to see main part of proposes in A3, because Arma is awesome and outstanding Game, times show...

Main issues of Arma devs, he dont have a progressive and extravertly creative director :(, or have but very lazyness (point)

Can't wait for this community alpha. I'd love to get some good feedback in before the product ships.

Squeeeeee

I won't have a computer good enough for years, but I would still love to see videos of people playing the alpha. Is that possible?

Squeeeeee

I won't have a computer good enough for years, but I would still love to see videos of people playing the alpha. Is that possible?

That depends if the Alpha comes with an NDA. I'm sure you can watch the attached videos to tickets on the Alpha Tracker, tho ;)

Ehhmm..

It would be silly for me to ask about the developer tools wont released close/or with 'Alpha' together eeh??

Yep..it will be (..or no?..)

were do i sign up for the Alpha?

were do i sign up for the Alpha?

We have no details regarding participation as of now. More to come after E3 2012

Ehhmm..

It would be silly for me to ask about the developer tools wont released close/or with 'Alpha' together eeh??

Yep..it will be (..or no?..)

Highly doubt it, don't forget it's not just another Arma2, it is a new animation system, physX, render to texture implimented, changed shader system and a whole bunch of other commands. They would need to add documentation and have the tools compatible and I doubt they are devoting much if any team power to user tools with the official game not even released.

I think BIS kill curve O2 and we can do all stuff in Max ;) :D! Dreams...

Highly doubt it, don't forget it's not just another Arma2, it is a new animation system, physX, render to texture implimented, changed shader system and a whole bunch of other commands. They would need to add documentation and have the tools compatible and I doubt they are devoting much if any team power to user tools with the official game not even released.

Well..i was thinking it would be very nice all this dead-time (until officially ARMA3 'll be released..) the community would have time

to familiarize with all (!!) new systems/additions.

But..(for the reasons you mentioned) i doubt it :)

@J-GUID :p ;)

It's quite obvious but I think that all active forum members are eagerly waiting the release of this Alpha.