Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

What was your worst/best/funniest holiday like?

Hello everyone, :)

Here's something to take your minds off the politics, money and all that crap... With only a few days left until Maslenitsa (Which is when the winter ends and spring begins in Slavic mythology, for all those that don't know), spring is quickly coming upon us and people are beginning to think about their summer holidays, where they will go and what they will do. So I thought it would be interesting to share some of our funny holiday stories with each other, refresh our memories and hopefully have a good laugh in the first days of summer.

So as the title says, tell us your best, worst or funniest holiday experience was like :D

I'll start off with my worst holiday experience (and no this is not a rant/hate etc... post, just fun):

It happened last year when I betrayed Croatia for the first time and went for a 1 week holiday to Costa Brava, near Barcelona, Spain. It took me about 1 hour to finally find the hotel in the town (which happened to be a 10 story building right beside the main road on which I drive up and down at least 20 times lol :o) and another 20 minutes to find out how to get to the sandy parking lot at the back of the hotel. But yeah, I managed to park, check in and hit the beach. I was a little bit disappointed about how little trees and vegetation there was compared to Croatia but nevertheless it was nice, sunny and relaxing, and expensive. :n: When I returned to the hotel room I found out that the shower had stopped working, and had to wait for the whole night (sweaty) until a room freed up and I could relocate myself there, however that room didn’t have a TV and also to my inconvenience the room was right above a stage bellow, so I could enjoy the full volume of the speakers until 3 in the morning every day. But that wasn't anything compared to what happened next. I stepped on some spiky creature when I was messing around in the sea and in a few hours my foot swelled up and I couldn't walk for the rest of the holiday. So when I finally got to leave, I found out that I had a flat tire because I drove on to some nail...

So that’s my worst holiday adventure. :D now it’s your turn to tell us something funny

I went to Turkey when I was 5, and all the women were showering me with attention because of my blonde hair. I can remember only short segments of that trip, so it must have been a good one.

@ Martin - No doubt you experienced the horror of Lloret De Mar? If you want a good holiday in that area stay further north. I can recommend Palamos / Palafrugell area and if you want something very special, Cadaques. Try Collioure just over the border in France too. This hotel is excellent near Palamos:

http://www.trip-europe.eu/spain/catalonia/park_hotel_san_jorge.html

Best Holiday

Flew to Toulouse and followed the route of the Canal du Midi through Castelnaudry, Carcassonne, then Narbonne and Gruissan. Returned following the Route Cathar with all the ruined Castles, small villages plus a side trip to Villfranche de Conflent (Fort Liberia), Les Angles and Lac de Bouillouses. For food, wine, sun, architecture, history, friendly people, dramatic scenery, I have not seen better anywhere in the world.

france130b.th.jpg

Me getting the camera timer wrong - Pyrenees - bit like Takistan lol

Worst Holidays

Pakistan (K2 Base Camp) and the Yorkshire Dales. Nothing wrong with those places it's just they were either package holidays or someone else organised them. So bad travel arrangements, awful food and rooms. Never do package holidays, you are wasting your money.

If anyone is stuck for something to do in Europe - get yourself a Logis Guide. 1000's of small family run hotels that can be surprisingly good. Pick a wine region in France, jump in the car and just see where you end up.

http://www.logishotels.com/en.html

Edited by PELHAM

I go to Croatia every year ( 10 km south of Split!) and haven´t been disapointed so far.

Last Summer I made a small diary on my smartphone to keep my friends informed. Well lets take a loom at day 19

"Disco was awesome, but left me really tired. I will keep things relaxed today. There will be a small concert in my 3rd favourite beach bar this evening, I think I´ll give it a try."

Now what I have written the next morning, still totally drunk, with many spelling mistakes.

"OK the concert evolved to an awesome party. I totally wasted myself with walnut brandy (really popular drink, but very strong). Its 6 o clock in the morning and I´m finaly in my bed. I have meet a nice girl from new zealand that immediately went for my ass. I love New Zealand, especially the girls! But the croatian Girls are still the most beautifull girls in the universe! But that doesn´t stop me from making myself more familiar with new zealand. Or to quote the new Zealand girl: Fuck Yeah!"

So as you can see, I had a blast! Croatia is awesome!

Best Holidays? Urm... I think it would be Stockholm, then. Had To be beside S-103 (if I am correct with designation, aka S-Tank) tank up close. I could upload that pic. Hell, I'll do, next time, I'll linger.

@ Martin - No doubt you experienced the horror of Lloret De Mar?

Lol My mouth dropped when I read this :butbut: The town I was in is right beside Lloret De Mar (Santa Susana). But still, even though this one holiday didn’t go so well I can never judge the whole country on that so I will definitely go back to Spain one day, but I can’t cant detach from Croatia :biggrin:

@Photo of Pyrenees – Beautiful mountains, I’m definitely going to visit them next time I go to Spain or France.

I go to Croatia every year ( 10 km south of Split!) and haven´t been disapointed so far.

Ah Croatia, it’s like heaven… I got an uncle there (in Rijeka) so I go there every year for 2 -3 months, never been disappointed, never will be. Once I get done with studies I’m going to move there now that they will enter the EU.

To sum it up:

Slavic language: Good

Architecture: Good

Food: Good

Culture: Good

Music: Good

Drink: Good

Warm weather and countryside: Good

Girls: Fuck yeah!

Oh and PlitviÄka Jezera, that was awesome, I’m gonna have to post some photos and information about this. Its definitely worth visiting especially if you live nearby, Germany, Italy, Czech rep, Balkans etc... :wink_o:

The only thing that really upset me when I was there is when I saw a tourist throw a battery from his camera in to the water. I felt like snapping his neck ahhh :mad:

Best Holidays? Urm... I think it would be Stockholm, then. Had To be beside S-103 (if I am correct with designation, aka S-Tank) tank up close. I could upload that pic. Hell, I'll do, next time, I'll linger.

Sure upload the photo when you got time good.gif

Edited by -Martin-

Ah Croatia, it’s like heaven… I got an uncle there (in Rijeka) so I go there every year for 2 -3 months, never been disappointed, never will be. Once I get done with studies I’m going to move there now that they will enter the EU.

To sum it up:

Slavic language: Good

Architecture: Good

Food: Good

Culture: Good

Music: Good

Drink: Good

Warm weather and countryside: Good

Girls: Fuck yeah!

Oh and PlitviÄka Jezera, that was awesome, I’m gonna have to post some photos and information about this. Its definitely worth visiting especially if you live nearby, Germany, Italy, Czech rep, Balkans etc... :wink_o:

The only thing that really upset me when I was there is when I saw a tourist throw a battery from his camera in to the water. I felt like snapping his neck ahhh :mad:

http://kolobok.us/smiles/icq/good.gif

Yeah Plitvicka Jezera is a very special place, everybody should see them once in his lifetime!

http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/en/index.php

http://www.google.de/search?q=plitvicka+jezera&hl=de&client=firefox-a&hs=Egz&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zYxGT62nKtCDhQflt4mrDg&ved=0CJIBELAE&biw=1280&bih=825

Edited by Tonci87

Croatia my dear friends is an excellent place. Fantastic people with friendly souls, great seafood and cuisine, cheap local wines, and succulent mouth watering watermelons. I really enjoyed the diving with snorkel in these lovely small rocy bays with crystal clear water. Beautiful country, but still many places bear scars of the past conflict.

I've been to Plitvice Lakes Park. Tremendous place, it's said that the war started there a Croatian politician was killed there by Serbs right?

I have a funny memory from Croatia. We stopped at the mountain inn and they were roasting the goat. The meat looks amazing, but I was treated with the part that is close to the genitals because my piece of meat smelled with strong urine. Can you imagine? My neighbour, he was a hunter and he told me that the smelly parts are his favorite haha :D So I traded the odd meat for nicely roasted leg yum yum ... The guy looked really turned on after he ate that 'aphrodisiac spiced meat' :D

On the way back from Croatia we went to Postojna Jama (Caves system) in Slovenia. 20km of caves and large underground halls. The caves are also home to the one and only in the world - endemic Olm, the largest trogloditic amphibian with external lungs!

Now do you mean Holiday as in Christmas or as in Vacation? I have one for each just in case :)

Part 1

Costa Rica 2003: Was my last night in the small but charming town of Santa Elana in the Northern Cloud Forest and I was minding my own business in the local watering hole when some young local guys with a batch of Aussia/European girls twisted my arm to join them to a real night out at the clubs (wherever the hell they were). Smitten by a blond I agreed but almost from the get-go was a latin Bruce Willis look alike with a bad case of Alpha Male-itus who was constantly sizing me up. I ignored his subtle taunts and danced with the ladies until he got more bold and said he could easily smash my face. I laughed him off and kept carousing until the group said we were loading up and going to a private party out in the wilderness. I knew I had to be ready to have my bags ready to catch the 8 hour bus ride by noon the following day but went ahead anyway.

After a good 1 hour drive thru what looked like Crocodile infested swampland, we approached their little tent city and the music and liquor flowethed again. Ramando (Alpha chief) continued his not so veiled threats toward me until I couldn't take it anymore and said "lets go". No full punches but full kicks and I lit him up pretty bad until he conceded saying I was too fast. Sadly the chickies had already partenered up and that left the final tent for me and Ramando - no way, aint sharing a tent with this nut which enraged him more in which he preceded to pull out a very large knife (of the killing variety). While he was walking around me in wide circles speaking gibberish and tweaked out on god knows what, a stray pitbull came up and literally just laid on me at the tree I was trying to sleep (with one eye open of course). Whenever he got to close, the pity would alert me with a low growl as I was exahausted to the point of passing out.

Finally I'd had enough at around dawn while the cool kids were still sleeping and started to try and make my was home -wherever the hell that may be. Totally dehydrated, intoxicated and lost I chose a direction and started walking. ABout 30 minutes into I started hearing my name, seemingly coming from nowhere, everywhere "GREGOOORRY!!" Shit, this maniacs tracking me now. This went on for over 2 hours with me keeping a heart attack inducing pace until -thank god, found a road and 10 minutes later people who steered me back to my town ( 2 hours away).

LOL, found out later that Ramondo had had my very expensive RayBan shades and was apperntly trying to give them back......stay cool Alpha Dawg :)

Best holidays? Speaking about recent years - it's traveling to Abkhasia in the first days of august, 2008.

Best holidays? Speaking about recent years - it's traveling to Abkhasia in the first days of august, 2008.

i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Edited by Tonci87

Western Europe during the terrorist panic. Definitely Western Europe during the terrorist panic.

I've been to Plitvice Lakes Park. Tremendous place, it's said that the war started there a Croatian politician was killed there by Serbs right?

Not to go offtopic, just to get the facts straight.

It was Croatian police officer. His name was Josip Jović.

Sadly, I've never been to Plitvice. Have to visit it sometime.

My favourite visit to another country (it wasn't really a holliday) was Country music night in Gstaad. Beautiful.

Edited by Kernriver

Well, my best trip was probably a 2 weeks road trip in California (LA, SF then the parks, death valley, LV, Colorado etc.), i was young (at that time...) with two friends, sleeping anywhere we could (car, tent, motels...). I did remember two awakenings : a harsh one, by a violent police officer (as usual in the US, police is very violent) who threatened me with his weapon while we were sleeping in the car on an isolated road (was prohibited but hey, we weren't French terrorists trying to make a chemical attack with cheese. And it was before 9/11). Another nicer one was when i was awakened by a racoon in my tent in the Yosemite park.

Another memorable trip was Prague in the early 90's, where I spent a New Year's day with some other students. Every body were drunk in the youth hostel, even the tenant who slept on his desk the whole following day. A very beautiful town with very nice people.

I like holidays were I can alternate much between being busy, eating and idling. Once for example I was on Guadeloupe, made my diving level 1 there in 3 weeks, went hiking in the mountains and could sleep a lot in the sun (hammocks ftw).

My best holidays so far, was in New Zealand, I spent over a year there (working a bit, travel a lot). Amazing country with fantastic people :)

My worst trip was in Australia.... I had a bad injuries on my last day of work. I had surgery and then I flew back for my recovery :(