Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Take On Helicopters Beta Patch 89707

Someone requested coffee? :chef:

Changelog:

Java scripting support added

MP: collective would sometimes be set to hardware position without active input

Renegade units (too negative rating) are now considered enemy in targeting systems

Logic Objects are now ignored in top-down radar

Edited by DnA

Nice news.

Java isnt excatly my cup of coffee. but i'll give jython a try when i get the time and see if its works..

Happy Coding everyone. and go grind some beans :p

"Take on World" - I love it - you are even pushing the boundries of the tried and tested "Hello World" application!

If anyone wants me I am in the back room overdosing on caffeine....

nice one ;)

can we have now minecraft on an MFD :D

i looking forward to the possibilities now.

Edited by themaster303

lol - tried for a couple of hours to get this running in IDEA (been a while since I did java!) - failed. Installed Eclipse and in 5 minutes .....

TAKE ON WORLD!!!

Also Eclipse has changed since my last outing with it - previously if I installed it, it screwed up my Flex IDE (also Eclipse based, which is a major issue!), but they live happily together now it seems.

I need a coffee...

Hmm, just tried this after playing the 1.03 patch heavily for the last few days. First impressions....

Light helicopter is now much less controllable. There seems to be a lot more inertia on the pitch moment - ie when hovering if you start to pitch forward it can be very difficult to pull back. Ground-effect is very noticable. Whereas I used to be able to fly comfortably a meter above the sea the heli now seems to want to rise much higher than this and has to be actively forced down. I'll leave it to others to comment on whether these changes are actually more realistic - it's certainly causing me to relearn how to fly after getting pretty comfortable with 1.03. ;-)

On a more annoying issue, graphics glitches are much worse with the beta. The cockpit flickers in and out of existence for me on regular basis now (at least once per minute) and sometimes the entire world outside the cockpit disappears for a few frames. :-(

Good code design is very important - in the long term and for more complex code, it will save you a lot of time in the end.

Hopefully someone can come up with some Netbeans instructions for this. Since it took me 30 minutes and multiple tries to get just a simple Hello World to work... Maybe some explanation for how this all is supposed to work? Do we need to write java wrappers for every command? An object for showHint which calls RVEngine.hint? Will we need to do that for every single command? To type out a hint this example has you writing three different versions of hint in three different places. Surely that can't be how all of this will work?

I know I'm missing a lot here, can anyone explain this stuff please?

Hopefully someone can come up with some Netbeans instructions for this.

We have WIP documentation for Netbeans, which I'll try to post soon.

Do we need to write java wrappers for every command? An object for showHint which calls RVEngine.hint?

No, that is a sample to get the IDE up and running. Just to show a hint this is obviously way too much overhead. One example of how you could better utilize Java, is by treating the jCall as just the start of a larger Java hierarchy of Object-Oriented classes. The rest of the system would be executed within the Java classes (and occassionally using RVEngine methods to effect change in the mission). As we move forward the things the JVM can do will expand, and the issues will be fixed. As for the commands (methods) now available, it's currently our library (JNIScripting) + JDK (huge amount of standard methods - maths, XML, etc.) + whatever you create yourself.

An abstract example based on OA's ARMEX: a GameMaster class would manage everything related to dynamic challenges. It would then instantiate objects of a Challenge class for each time a challenge is started and handle everything specific to that challenge. All data and function is stored with the class / object responsible for it; making it cleaner, clearer and easier to debug. Just like game configuration files are a class hierarchy, this makes scripting work in a hierarchy as well. You can use all of the benefits of that in a well-designed system: inheritance, abstraction, etc.

Hello World examples are always like this and are just to show the concepts. Done properly, as DnA said, the call to Java would initiate a self contained functional section of a mission. It would do all the loops/validation/calculations making call backs to Arma when needed using the methods in the JNIScripting library.

What it gives the developer is the ability to test stuff in a self contained environment with proper debugging tools and management. Also, new methods can be cretaed in a much more flexible way using Java.

The potential is huge!

I need some help. I downloaded eclipse and i think i have gotten to the

Set Default output folder to just JavaSample (remove \bin)

Go to the Libraries tab

part, Problem here, it wont let me just remove \bin, it grays out "ok" and there is no libraries tab. (found a add library entry in the build-path submeny but it has no add external jar option)

Edit: sorry maybe this is for the java thread.

Got Eclipse and the minimal Java sample up and running without a hitch; so far, so good ;-)

Hi

I have big problems with alt tab with latest Beta running in full screen mode not windowed anyone else experience it ?

Problem

Cant alt tab from game ,Seems harder when in map screen for some reason

windows XP home 32 bit

GTX 470 Nvidia No addons only latest Beta

PLEASE READ FIRST POST JAVA HAS DEDICATED THREAD :)

Sadly as far as i can tell the current state of affairs is not permissive of jython, however i only just spent 3 hours trying to learn how its held together. Since I'm not a fan of the java philosophy of if its to verbose it ain't verbose enough this makes me sad. Well i guess I'll have to learn java then. And i dont understand what im missing in the Initial Java documentation since for some it just seems to work.

Sadly as far as i can tell the current state of affairs is not permissive of jython, however i only just spent 3 hours trying to learn how its held together. Since I'm not a fan of the java philosophy of if its to verbose it ain't verbose enough this makes me sad. Well i guess I'll have to learn java then. And i dont understand what im missing in the Initial Java documentation since for some it just seems to work.

Java stuff over here

During the last two days I have been testing this beta patch and I came a cross what seems to be a bug that, if I'm not wrong, was not present before.

When I first load TOH and I select a flight, whatever that is, challenges, editor, time trials,... it goes fine but when I leave that flight and I go to another one (second flight without restarting TOH) TOH does not obey my throttle, TOH collective stick (on any helicopter) stays locked at the lowest position.

I have checked via the controller settings and I can see how the analogic readings from my throttle transition from 0 to 100 without problems but the game just ignores the inputs.

I suspect this may have to do with the use of the auto start-up sequence, on my latest try today I think I didn't required to exit TOH to fly the second time because I didn't used the autostart feature. (This is a tentative narrow down, may be wrong).

I'm not running any external mods.

My system is described in the Spoiler.

Additionally I have been observing very weird behaviour on the torquimetre gauge (jumps during flight as well as maxed out when on the ground) on all the helicopters.

Thanks and good speed.

>TOH does not obey my throttle

Hi, could you please write more spefific repro steps?

I've lost the control of collective twice with this beta. Unfortunately no repro steps available.

Everything works fine first. After starting another mission collective doesn't work at all. Only game restart fixes it.

At least first time when bug occurred I used auto start-up sequence.

I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

OMAC's ticket, same(?) problem with keyboard:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28903

We have released a new beta patch to target the loss of collective controls mentioned above by various people. Please help us by confirming it :)