Sign in to follow this  
r20

Get in get out animation + more questions

It's supposed to be a sim, why are people complaining about not being able to teleport around? lol plenty of games have figured out how to do this and solve A of the problems associated with it.

Hi, for me will be great to be able to stan up and turn back over a knee on an open vehicle and be able of return the fire as passenger, or just to be able of stand up and run and jump off the vehicle for a better cover or to aboid a big threat; you can shoot from the passenger's seat on games like the BF3 or even the BC2 using your own ammo i still don't see why is so hard to do the same on the ArmA series, we mess about be fans of the most realistic FPS game out there but we still don't have things as basic as shoot from the passenger seat with our own weapons and ammo, this goes too for the rest of the anims, for the damage system on vehicles and personel and also on the world's destruction model. Our favourite games serie leaks of alot of basic features that other, maybe less serious... games have from years ago that only the devs can add for all the players; reduce the crazy and uncontrolable weapon sway is just one of 'em IMO, but there're many more that would need a serious review for the good of the games serie and for BIS too. Let's C ya

Basically, my idea would be to be able to dismount just like in A2 but by adding the obligation to open the concerned door before

Uh? Why? As I see it, there's 3 animations. "Get up", "walk", "walk down ramp".

Even those three would be too much. Why not just move away from the "single point of entry" concept entirely and instead make people walk to their seat themselves? Basically, you walk into the chopper, pick a seat, walk up to it and select "sit down". Then you can just have one "sit down" and one "get up" animation that works for all seats.

Of course this would only work for walkable vehicles, but it would completely eliminate the animation problem in that case.

Even those three would be too much. Why not just move away from the "single point of entry" concept entirely and instead make people walk to their seat themselves? Basically, you walk into the chopper, pick a seat, walk up to it and select "sit down". Then you can just have one "sit down" and one "get up" animation that works for all seats.

Of course this would only work for walkable vehicles, but it would completely eliminate the animation problem in that case.

I like it... and in order to avoid confusion the seat your avatar is currently looking at should be slightly highlighted or a white line should appear pointing to the seat, similar to the one that helps you assign a predefined position in buildings for the AI.

I see only two minor problems. First is, AI is confused enough when walkng inside building in small group, I can totally see myself raging over 20+ soldiers blocking each other path and walking in circles.

Second is, moving inside tight vehicles like a BMP, where soldiers have to enter and leave in specific order

Maybe problem could be tempered by allowing soldiers to clip through each other during getting in and out action?

Edited by boota

Ages ago me and Rommel were messing around with his script where you could virtually clip yourself inside the chopper, even fire out of it by doing so and it worked pretty well. Now with big choppers like Chinooks, no problem - but small ones, yeah, I'd be skeptical.

Like I said, it would only really work for large vehicles with a walkable space. Anything smaller will present additional problems. ;)

Its a good idea, although I feel the "single point of entry" is more for AI's benefit. The cases where single point of entry could be discarded are quite few IMO. My own bugbear is that the passenger seating orders are not very good, in particular the Chinhook, where all the right-hand side seats will fill up before anyone gets a left-hand seat :) any loadmaster would go apeshit.

The ST littlebird enhancement mod had it right for that - choosing your seating position. You know small stuff like that you don't even think of normally but when it pops up, I agree, it would be nice to see something like that in A3.

And what if you stand up midflight?

The answer to that should be fairly obvious: it depends on BIS; more specifically, it depends on the engine features they manage to implement. ;)

Ideally, walking in vehicles should be possible, in which case you could get up and move around inside a flying transport plane, for example. Imagine a HALO mission where you actually get up from your seat and jump off the ramp yourself. How splended it would be...

Otherwise we're back to ugly workarounds, such as the current "instant teleport out of vehicle into parachute" solution.

Its a good idea, although I feel the "single point of entry" is more for AI's benefit.

Possible, but that's something for the AI programmer to address.

The cases where single point of entry could be discarded are quite few IMO. My own bugbear is that the passenger seating orders are not very good, in particular the Chinhook, where all the right-hand side seats will fill up before anyone gets a left-hand seat :) any loadmaster would go apeshit.

So letting players/AI choose their own seat would be a nice solution. And yet another issue for the AI programmer: make the AI choose a good seat based on the current passenger distribution. :)

Btw. wouldn't it be awesome if the physical simulation was advanced enough that the flight model was affected by the distribution and movement of passengers in the vehicle? Just dreaming here of course. ;)

Lower your expectations, your disappointment will be smaller.

Or the surprise, bigger. :)

Lower your expectations, your disappointment will be smaller.

Or the surprise, bigger. :)

No worries. I tend to write about what I think would be ideal, but my expectations are something else entirely. (As I said, "just dreaming here". :D)

So letting players/AI choose their own seat would be a nice solution. And yet another issue for the AI programmer: make the AI choose a good seat based on the current passenger distribution. :)

Yes, but in the interim a much simpler solution is to simply renumber the memory points :)

Btw. wouldn't it be awesome if the physical simulation was advanced enough that the flight model was affected by the distribution and movement of passengers in the vehicle? Just dreaming here of course. ;)

It would, but I fear it is outside the scope of BIS' interest at the moment. There's not much practical application for such a feature ;) I raised the Chinhook seat numbering problem as a ticket, and although it seems to be a very easy fix, I guess their workload for such an aesthetic concern is too much. Pity the LODs are locked down :)

Btw. wouldn't it be awesome if the physical simulation was advanced enough that the flight model was affected by the distribution and movement of passengers in the vehicle?

The amount of rage and tears over this (threads like "I put vehicle X into aircraft Y, then it rolled and exploded on takeoff, OMG fix these fucking bugs BI") would sustain me for another decade of community shenanigans.

I see only two minor problems. First is, AI is confused enough when walkng inside building in small group, I can totally see myself raging over 20+ soldiers blocking each other path and walking in circles.

Second is, moving inside tight vehicles like a BMP, where soldiers have to enter and leave in specific order

Maybe problem could be tempered by allowing soldiers to clip through each other during getting in and out action?

Why are we worried about details like this? Just have the animation where when you're entering in the back, open the rear door, get in animation, when in the vehicle you get warped into seat ( maybe a little touch for first person where your camera floats into the seat, somewhat like what ACE does )

We don't need perfect animations, just animations that show the player opening the doors and getting in the actual vehicle instead of putting the weapon on the back and warping to place.

Hi, there's a right way of enter on a military vehicle and is the same one for get out of it, any other way of enter or exit is "the wrong way"; but if you don't get the men the chance of do it wrong... they never gonna appreciate why "the right way" is the good one. That's why i consider so important to enter in the right formation before board a chopper by the sides or the ramp, same with an APC with a single ramp on the back, one door or two doors, this 'lil thing change the thing... in the same way that is not the same to board a BTR-70 alike APC than board an M113 (ramp or single rear door) or board a BMP alike APC... that haves two rear doors instead, aside of the hatches on the roof; but on vehicles like buses, transport trucks or even on the deck of a ship... we should be able of walk on it to our seat or place, select: Sit Down and then have to Sit Up to walk or jogg for the exit and select Jump Off to get out of it, our load/gear should be what determinate how fast (what animation we gonna perform) to exit of the vehicle being an impediment for the others to enter/exit or not. The military have the annoying use of have you boarding and exiting all the vehicles at your disposal for hours, by days, just to ensure that until the last townfolk under their command have got pretty clear which is the good way and which others are not. On the military you follow the procedures, for go to the latrines too. Let's C ya

Hi, there's a right way of enter on a military vehicle and is the same one for get out of it, any other way of enter or exit is "the wrong way"; but if you don't get the men the chance of do it wrong... they never gonna appreciate why "the right way" is the good one. That's why i consider so important to enter in the right formation before board a chopper by the sides or the ramp, same with an APC with a single ramp on the back, one door or two doors, this 'lil thing change the thing... in the same way that is not the same to board a BTR-70 alike APC than board an M113 (ramp or single rear door) or board a BMP alike APC... that haves two rear doors instead, aside of the hatches on the roof; but on vehicles like buses, transport trucks or even on the deck of a ship... we should be able of walk on it to our seat or place, select: Sit Down and then have to Sit Up to walk or jogg for the exit and select Jump Off to get out of it, our load/gear should be what determinate how fast (what animation we gonna perform) to exit of the vehicle being an impediment for the others to enter/exit or not. The military have the annoying use of have you boarding and exiting all the vehicles at your disposal for hours, by days, just to ensure that until the last townfolk under their command have got pretty clear which is the good way and which others are not. On the military you follow the procedures, for go to the latrines too. Let's C ya

Please note that my comment on "single point of entry" is entirely about the RV engine mechanic of getting into a large vehicle by walking up to a single "action point", not about how to board such vehicles in real life. ;)

Otherwise I agree fully.

Well, have you tried standing up and running inside an APC in RL? In full combat gear? Offroad?

I did, and even with it moving slowly, you are really cramped and glad that your helmet saves you all the bumps on your head you would get otherwise. With a backpack and some gear, you fit very snuggly and very very close to your comrades even if you are of lean build. Your knees are literally between the knees of the guy in front of you. Even getting inside it is a chore if its near full, in most such vehicles, there is no space to move inside at all unless crawling on the others.

OTOH, opening doors in cars/IFVs/... would be pretty nice. As somebody else said, you could take cover behind them like in RL, and imagine that lucky RPG shot into open rear hatch of a BMP just as the opfor squad inside prepares to disembark... :)

I don't know why but in A2 walking or running near other people in a close area tends to cause rubberbanding. This problem might be rectified in A3 but I don't know. That is the real problem with having people be able to control themselves getting out of an APC, they would rubberband like crazy in each other and slow down the process of getting into a fighting position, all the while both the APC and the troops are like sitting ducks to the enemy.

Edited by Desert1

Hi, the teleporting method is fine i guess for vehicles like the APCs, but not for vehicles like trucks, MBTs or fat choppers or hybrids like the MV-22B; the problem with the walkable vehicles is the space. If was almost impossible to walk side by side with another man by an apartments building corridor... how much a nightmare would be to do it on the cargo area of a truck...??, aside the scale of the space the solidity of the characters and their gear, without speak that they don't paste their weapon to the body as you would IRL to move by the same place.

The soldiers body and backpacks clipp with each other and with the enviroment (seats and stuff) as if the clothes were made out of granite, maybe doign a kind of body made out of two layers, one (bone like) would be a physical limit that marks the point where you would begin to clipp/collide with objects and characters, and the other (external one) would be the margin that you'll have before that clipp/collide happens, booth layers will have to register hits but not the collisions so with this, plus a better scale of the places as corridors and cargo area of the vehicles plus "some more magic..." we could improve if don't fix this issue that substract inmersion from the game and looks and works bad. Let's C ya

you're all missing it, there is no problem with this? Since there is ragdolls in arma 3.. dying mid-animation isn't a problem! it will look GREAT, and that's what matters

I think that blending from animation to ragdoll is featured in - without it ragdolls would look really strange. So problem is rather with huge library of get in/get out animations for every vehicle, especially for transporters - than "one bullet showing off unpredictability of war/causing interference with game engine/ [type anything]" - it's war, sh*t happens. Where the ragdoll starts is where animation stops.