Sign in to follow this  
Einherj

Infection (light zombie addon)

Agree.

I love zombie stories at the very start of infection. All movies, series, games are concentrated on the period after infection, and I simply want story of any man who caught himself in start of infection. Armed assault and Arma2 do this very good. But, there are many handicaps.

This week I played Armed Assault zombies. Personally, I`m thinking to start play Armed Assault, not Arma2. Because, in Armed Assault every new infected and created zombie is in the group of zombie which got him infected, so, there you can create outbreak which count more than 400 zombies, and because of better PC, you can play it without problems. This is thing which I want to be possible in the future Arma2/Arma3 zombie add-ons, possibility to create CITY outbreak, not village.

Also, it would be great that weapon of infected human is going to be left on the ground after he becomes zombie.

This add-on is in alpha version so I can`t talk too much about it, but I`m very happy that there is Arma 2 OA civilian’s zombie skin. This could open new world for me.

I think that zombie mod needs:

- Good city map (not too big but again city, with crowded areas, no open space, like New York)

- Skins and add-ons for ambulance, doctors, firefighters, SWAT, gas masked soldiers etc. - i use fire truck and ambulance, but it isn’t good without skin of firefighter or doctor (not chernarus one)

- Weapons are dropped after infection

- Infinite amount of zombies (maybe... first 143 new zombies are in their own group, and after reaching number of 144 independent, every new zombie enter in group) ==> Most needed

And, yes. I got this idea. Well, charon and others where always saying that there is no possibility in creating skins for add-ons (like gas masked soldiers) because it means more skin work. I was thinking, what about that when a add-on-solider becomes infected and become zombie, game engine simply use his "Dead skin" (skin of him being dead in regular game) for zombie skin. It won’t look so good, but it will be better then US solider.

Well, I can give more suggestions, but I sticked to possible ones. I don’t know how to mod Arma engine, and I`m noob for scripting, so, this are all suggestions. I`m already delighted with great zombie mods! TNX again!

And, sorry for bad english. Combination of my knowledge (it should be high: learned english in kindergarden, elementary, high school and college), google translator, MS word and spell check. I hope it is understandable.

Thank you for all the new replies, folks :)

The best thing about zombies in Arma is that you can more accurately simulate a real infection spreading than any proper zombie game that exists! It would be fantastic if you continued to build on the zombie-logic and perhaps tried some new features. For example, we really need a standing still zombies-surrounding-my-car window banging animation. That would be terrifying.

My main focus now is to provide easy to use infected units that people can add into their missions. I am still concentrating on core things like AI and usability.

I do intent to add features along the way and one of them is going to be optional infection spreading. The infected attacking vehicles is coming shortly.

Animations are a tricky thing in ArmA 2 and I am not an animator nor a graphics / sound artist. All of those three things require immense amount of work with minimal to no gain without a proper code base. So, as of now I will concentrate on the game mechanics. The one custom animation in the addon (walking with hands in front) is an old ArmA animation by teaCup converted to ArmA 2.

I do however have a couple of features in mind which would look a lot better with just a couple of new animations so if there are ArmA 2 animators here, please contact me and let's make this addon a bit prettier :)

I think that zombie mod needs:

- Good city map (not too big but again city, with crowded areas, no open space, like New York)

- Skins and add-ons for ambulance, doctors, firefighters, SWAT, gas masked soldiers etc. - i use fire truck and ambulance, but it isn’t good without skin of firefighter or doctor (not chernarus one)

- Weapons are dropped after infection

- Infinite amount of zombies (maybe... first 143 new zombies are in their own group, and after reaching number of 144 independent, every new zombie enter in group) ==> Most needed

- I am not currently planning on doing any maps, you can use maps other people have made, no problem

- No new skins or models coming either. Other people are greatly more gifted in those things so I will dedicate my time on what I am good at: scripting

- This can be done

- This is already possible, you can make groups out of the infected. I haven't made any spawners yet though so you just have to script your own :)

I was thinking, what about that when a add-on-solider becomes infected and become zombie, game engine simply use his "Dead skin" (skin of him being dead in regular game) for zombie skin. It won’t look so good, but it will be better then US solider.

I was actually planning on doing this. Probably for 0.3.

Edited by Einherj

Awesome, yeah that all makes sense. You're the coder, so you knows whats best! Maybe one day you could modify the zombie script to make a Minecraft Creeper? :D

I wish I could help you out, being an animator and all. Unfortunately, I'm not a CG animator. Still, if you need motion graphics or Disney-style animation for some reason, I can do that. Keep up the good work!

I would love to be able to run this addon as a script instead, since it only features anims and such, no actual models.

How do I do this?

/edit

I've tested now and I can't spawn the enemies.

Description.ext

#include "EHJ_INF\config.cpp"

init.sqf

[logic1] execVM "EHJ_INF\functions\initInfection.sqf";

In the editor I place a game logic and name it logic1. I put the functions module on the map. I have extracted the .pbo into the mission directory. I place a unit of each faction on the map just to make sure that the faction center/group is initialized at mission start.

I place a marker named "spawn1" on the map.

Then I spawn a unit via a trigger: veh = [] execVM "create.sqf";

create.sqf

if (isServer) then

{

_group1 = createGroup EAST;

_unit1 = _group1 createUnit ["EHJ_INF_Citizen1", [(getMarkerPos "spawn1") select 0,(getMarkerPos "spawn1") select 1,1], [], 1, "NONE"];

};

Nothing happens...

So I tried to edit the config.cpp file a bit. did a /* .. */ on the part that defines the "class EHJ_INF_Core_Logic". Line 614 to 629. Made no difference.

I think that I fail in initializing the config. The unit classes are never defined. Please help.

/edit 2

Here is the mission: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6004457/SSG%20Share/Uppdrag/zTest.utes.rar

Edited by Pellejones

I would love to be able to run this addon as a script instead, since it only features anims and such, no actual models.

How do I do this?

I've tested now and I can't spawn the enemies.

I am quite sure you can not define new cfgVehicles & cfgMoves etc. classes in a mission since description.ext is parsed into the mission root instead of the main config root where all the config files from addons are parsed into on startup.

I would have made this addon-free if it was possible. :)

is it possible for you to make a cfgGroup?

would make it much easier to spawn groups/hordes for missionmakers.

is it possible for you to make a cfgGroup?

would make it much easier to spawn groups/hordes for missionmakers.

That will not be a problem, I'll add it to the list. :)

Released 0.2 Alpha.

Let me know if you find bugs or other anomalies :)

With the latest update to the mod it's become impossible to play online while running the module, everyone can move and see each other independently, however no one can see the others moving. Also any interaction (ex; Ammo boxes) is impossible.

After removing the module everything was back to normal, but when I replaced the module the mission broke again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Very nice and very light addon. One question though, is it possible to make zombie faces look like zombies? The units i put look like normal people. Or maybe I miss something.

Thanks anyway..

With the latest update to the mod it's become impossible to play online while running the module, everyone can move and see each other independently, however no one can see the others moving. Also any interaction (ex; Ammo boxes) is impossible. After removing the module everything was back to normal, but when I replaced the module the mission broke again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Sounds really weird and off the top of my head I can not think of anything that could cause that.

I would really appreciate if you could send me the mission via email (31nh3rj(at)gmail.com) and I could take a look at it.

Very nice and very light addon. One question though, is it possible to make zombie faces look like zombies? The units i put look like normal people. Or maybe I miss something.

Infection does not include any graphical content yet, just the converted units, their AI and one special infected walking animation.

I'll concentrate on creating a good base behavior for the infected units before I move on to the audiovisual content.

Why did you decide to use the OPFOR for the undead faction instead of Independents? Will this be changed in the future?

Why did you decide to use the OPFOR for the undead faction instead of Independents? Will this be changed in the future?

I don't even remember why I did it back then. My future intention is to add infected units to every faction. Would this be satisfactory? :D

Edited by Einherj

It would be satisfactory to make the Undead their own "side" and to be an enemy to everything but since that isn't possible I believe, it would be best to make them Independent only.

It would be satisfactory to make the Undead their own "side" and to be an enemy to everything but since that isn't possible I believe, it would be best to make them Independent only.

You can not declare a new side in the configs so that is impossible.

What I meant to say in the last post was that there will be infected units on every side (not faction), so you can choose which one you use for your missions. :)

Yeah but if you want to have a mission that starts out as a standard blufor vs opfor mission, and then zombies start showing up and attacking both, the only way you can really do that is by having them as independent.

Uhm, well then the best option would be to add Zombies to all sides. Because maybe you want to play as independet?

Uhm, well then the best option would be to add Zombies to all sides. Because maybe you want to play as independet?

If you want to play as any unit on the same side as the Zombies you can just add a group leader from the opposing side and set his probability of presence to 0%.

The infected actually do attack all sides already even though they are EAST themselves. For the infected AI to work correctly the infected side has to be friendly to the other sides. This prevents the built in engine danger behavior kicking in and messing with pathfinding and animations. The problem is that EAST units don't attack any other sides since they are friendly to everyone. At first I added the infected to the CIVILIAN side since they are friendly to everyone already but if you set the other sides enemies to the CIVILIANS the AI units seem to fire at random buildings and some such since those are considered civilian too. I have not checked if this has changed in the latest patch though. I'll explore on that.

This is why I was thinking of adding infected units to all sides and letting mission makers decide which side they want to use in that specific mission. They could only use one infected side per mission though.