Sign in to follow this  
dermannmitohnegesicht

sidewalk memory lod

hi,

i'm making some costume sidewalks at the moment and descovered something.

i opened the bis sample models of arma 1 sidewalks and found this in the memory lod:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/memoryci.jpg

when i use this in my own sidewalks they are magnetic in visitor which makes them easy to stick together. as i'm also making parts which fit to the curves of a road, this is rather usefull.

but i have questions about it:

can i use this or is there a good reason bis doesnt use this in the sidewalks of arma 2?

later i'm maybe going to make some costum fences aswell and is there a reason why i shouldn't use it in my fencemodels? it would make placing fences rather easy...

thanks

Edited by DerMannmitohneGesicht
wrong picture link

can i use this or is there a good reason bis doesnt use this in the sidewalks of arma 2?

It's the model snapping feature that models can have and as you've discovered it's particularly useful with visitor/buldozer.

Yes, you can use this technique with your own mlod's and Yes, you can use it with A2/OA. I don't believe there's any good reason for you not to use the technique with A2/OA content you may create.

Imo, it should be a QA point on at least any model that is usually part of a greater whole. eg. portions of pipe, roads, bridges, fences etc.

Also, it is possoble to implement more than just these visitor related snapping points and create other points-of-interest conforming to your own convention that your own in-game scripts can utilize for faciliting placement and/or various manipulations that you may desire. But, of course that's alot more work on your part.

Cheers, Sy.

thanks a lot! that's awesome! :)

so if i make a higher building which is actually put together from 2 or more models, would the names of the points be the same? i mean when the first part is on ground level and the second would be higher ( like for example the harbor crane model) i understand it that the models wouldn't snap together over each other but next to each other!? (even if the points of the ground level model would be at the top of that model)

and one more question please :) i asked that quite a while ago and i know this board is not the right one but i don't want to open a new thread again and it is not really important (yet).

i made a fence (well actually its a wall) and place it in visitor. ingame it works just fine, it falls like a fence should do and everything, my problem is that on the map it doesnt appear. i mean this little grey box which arma walls usually have. iguess it has something to do with the config file. i put it together from another config because i am still learning to understand and write them. so here it is:

#define _ARMA_

//Class structures : Wall\config.bin{

class CfgPatches

{

class CAStructures_Wall

{

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.1;

requiredAddons[] = {};

};

};

class CfgVehicles

{

class HouseBase;

class House: HouseBase

{

class DestructionEffects;

};

class Ruins;

class mauer: House

{

icon="\Ca\buildings\Icons\i_wall_CA.paa";

model = "\bav\bav_walls\mauer.p3d";

armor = 50;

destrType = "DestructTree";

};

};

thanks!

edit: i now found out that the "icon" line is just for the icon that appears when i place the object in the editor...still leaves me without the grey boxes ;)

You mean your wall is not indicated on the 2D map?

This has to do with your wall not having any named properties.

Open up your Geometry lod, make sure O2 shows the window "Named Properties" and then right-click in it.

Then add:

class = house

map = house

You can also use other map and class properties, but this will influence the behavior of the model. Class = house is mandatory if you want to use ruins. I'd have to do some research to find out what class = fence does.

Also:

Please make use of the proper naming convention using your tag and, especially when creating objects to be used in a terrain, follow the LAND_ naming convention for the least problems with proxies and configs.

Building Land Classes

thanks a lot! i works now! :)

once again the problem was my own stupidity! i just should have read your tutorial more varefull! then i would have seen that there is something called "named properties"! now i found everything i needed in the arma sample model aswell! thanks!

just one more question: i looked through the config files, both from the arma sample models and the arma 2 files and noticed that most of the fences/walls aswell as the roads, trees bushes etc dont have any entries at all. so do i need a config file for my walls and sidewalks? everything i made is now working as i want it to work, the walls fall as they should and so on, so i dont really see a need to write a config for them. they dont have to be placed in the 2d editor and they are just fences/walls and sidewalks. but as i mentioned, i'm noob and so i better ask and don't rely on my feelings ;)

Generally for those types of model (static, non-animated, non-in-game-editor-placeable) they are mostly added to the terrain during a map's development and usually don't require a specific CfgVehicles or CfgNonAIVehicles config definition. Sometimes people with walls or fences do make config's for them so as to attach effects to them when things happen. Mostly, for sidewalks/walls... you wouldn't define a config for them.

TIP:

Just in case this hadnt been worked out ........

You can add the "snap" memory points to the P3D models in your P drive CA directory, but you DONT have to add them to the same model in ArmA.

This way the snap action just helps with design and positioning. Not required for implementation.