Sign in to follow this  
GRS

What languages do you know or want to know.

Hey Taxi Driver... take me to... *shows picture* :D

That must be the longest word I've ever seen.

I suppose medical terminology -- Latin and Greek-- is similar. But not as hard as you'd think to get your head around as compared with other languages.

Arthritis, artha = joint, itis = inflammation of. Inflammation of the joint. By the time you're through your first week you get the hang of it.

Поздрави от Чешки! :cheers:

И аз бъдем полаÑкан да Ñе научим говорит на БългарÑки. Сега мога Ñамо да разбирам Ð²Ð°Ñ Ð¸ вашите пеÑни, но не знам как пиÑати или говорити правилно. Знам че БалканÑките езици Ñа трудни но повÑрви ми, други СлавÑнÑки езици като например Чешки Ñа дори още трудни. :nervous:

Anyway, back to English now since we broke the forum rules a little bit :whistle:

If you think Czech or Russian is hard, look at this Welsh town name: :biggrin:

Welsh is actually so exotic-sounding that many works of fantasy (such as movies or games) use it as the language of elves.

MY native is Polish and I do feel very good with English. I can talk for hours in English which I do quite often, but I'm not so 'talkative' when it comes to writing part, I don't like writing at all ;)

French (learning in progress) and German are languages I can conduct basic conversations. For example , it's enough to discuss the 'good price' with an Arab trader speaking his French ;) I understand Dutch language and I think it has something to do with both English and German. I know some Russian mostly from my granpda who though me some Russian and little Ukrainian, computer games ;) and rus. films. It's really easy and fun language to learn, learning the cyrillic and reading take a bit of time though.

Other tongues I want to know, at least the basics: Spanish, Arabic, Norwegian.

Just like -Martin- said ( waves:) ) our native languages work in other Slavic countries. For example when I'm in Czech Rep. I speak Polish they seem to understand it and it's not a problem with getting around, but I sometimes have a hard time with understanding some of their vocabulary. The best part are funny words. Many Czech words sound totally ridiculous to Poles ... and in reverse hahaha

Polish - Slovak, waaay better. Almost everything is understandable in both ways.

Polish - Croatian. I understand their language but they have problem with understanding Polish. A quick example I was on a vacation in Croatia and the guy next to me said like 'toplo more, toplo more' we were both swimming in the sea and I figured out that he had - warm seawater -on his mind, I replied with smile - aaa tak, cieple morze :) (which means the same in Polish) - and he was like w0o0t :D

The same thing with Slovenian, once on a vacation I was dating a very nice Slovenian girl and it was fun to talk in native languages and English but all in all there is only one language of love ;)

Polish - Ukrainian. Very rough communication in both ways but still understandable and better than Polish - Russian. Russian people have big problems with understanding Polish words not to mention longer sentences, but little Polish, little Russian, some English will clear the way and of course some strong alcohol can boost the entire process big time haha :D

Edited by Sudayev

I was fortunate enough to spend my childhood living in England and then Germany, so I speak both languages natively. :)

Also had a few years of french in school, though I've forgotten most of it. As for spanish, like Myke, I am limited to "una cerveza por favor." :D

I've always wanted to learn Russian, but I never really got around to it.

MY native is Polish and I do feel very good with English. I can talk for hours in English which I do quite often, but I'm not so 'talkative' when it comes to writing part, I don't like writing at all ;)

French (learning in progress) and German are languages I can conduct basic conversations. For example , it's enough to discuss the 'good price' with an Arab trader speaking his French ;) I understand Dutch language and I think it has something to do with both English and German. I know some Russian mostly from my granpda who though me some Russian and little Ukrainian, computer games ;) and rus. films. It's really easy and fun language to learn, learning the cyrillic and reading take a bit of time though.

Other tongues I want to know, at least the basics: Spanish, Arabic, Norwegian.

Just like -Martin- said ( waves:) ) our native languages work in other Slavic countries. For example when I'm in Czech Rep. I speak Polish they seem to understand it and it's not a problem with getting around, but I sometimes have a hard time with understanding some of their vocabulary. The best part are funny words. Many Czech words sound totally ridiculous to Poles ... and in reverse hahaha

Polish - Slovak, waaay better. Almost everything is understandable in both ways.

Polish - Croatian. I understand their language but they have problem with understanding Polish. A quick example I was on a vacation in Croatia and the guy next to me said like 'toplo more, toplo more' we were both swimming in the sea and I figured out that he had - warm seawater -on his mind, I replied with smile - aaa tak, cieple morze :) (which means the same in Polish) - and he was like w0o0t :D

The same thing with Slovenian, once on a vacation I was dating a very nice Slovenian girl and it was fun to talk in native languages and English but all in all there is only one language of love ;)

Polish - Ukrainian. Very rough communication in both ways but still understandable and better than Polish - Russian. Russian people have big problems with understanding Polish words not to mention longer sentences, but little Polish, little Russian, some English will clear the way and of course some strong alcohol can boost the entire process big time haha :D

Yeah sometimes you have interesting situations.

I´m croatian and I understand most of it if someone speaks polish. Slovenian isn´t hard to understand but theyr vocabulary is a little bit different. Czech is a totally different thing. I understand Ahoi, Dike and some basic stuff but it is difficult. The russian language is kind of hard to understand for me, but I usually understand some words and can make the rest up.

Kudos to anyone who understands Hungarian and isn´t a native speaker. Hungarian is not a slawic language and I can´t understand a single word of it.

Myke;2109166']Well' date=' swiss german is my native language, therefor german would be my first "foreign" language. Besides this i speak english (obviously) and french, a very little italian and one (and probably the most important) sentence in spanish: "una cerveza, por favor". :D[/quote']

:D

My Spanish isn't much better than that. It should be though since I took 2 years of French and 2 years of Spanish in High School but unfortunately I don't remember much. I can speak, read, and write a little Spanish but I remember almost no French. I can understand a male speaking Spanish usually but Spanish speaking women talk way too fast to understand (which I suppose could be the case for any language). I would like to be more fluent with them both though but mainly Spanish as it is used much more often around here.

Completely forgot to say what language i would like to learn: female'ish. Well, not speaking (as this would be far beyond any male's capabilities) but at least understand. Often at women i see the lips moving and words coming out of it (at least i guess it's "words" in widest term) but very rarely it makes any kind of sense.

Romanian (mother tongue). I've been dancing with English since I was 3-4 years old. I used to know Italian before I started learning English from watching toons on Rai Uno,Due,Trei, but I didn't practice it so I forgot it. Then there's French which is somewhere in between beginner and intremediary and I'm sure I would get good at it if I were to live in France for a year (same thing goes for Spanish). I studied German for 3 years , but again I didn't get to practice it in an active environment so yeah...

I am currently learning Danish due to my studies in Denmark. Lovely language :) My Danish teacher compared it with a pot of boiling poridge :D

I would start re-learning German and French.

Edited by Maio
Wine and crackers

its amazing how many women are impressed when you speak Irish on holidays :D

tell them you said "your eyes are lovely" when really what you said "i like cake"

English, French a little German and some Greek.

English born and bred, live in France, Sarre/Lorraine, spent about 3 years in Greece before sta €uropas.

That being said, my English has gone to the dogs, my Deutsch ist krank, mon Française ca craint, Έλληνες και μου αξίζει τίποτα

Put that into google if you wish.

I would like to give Russian a try but the memory banks are full...

ÑпаÑибо :confused:

If you think Czech or Russian is hard, look at this Welsh town name: :biggrin:

God damn, and they can say it so quickly as well lol.

I would not like to get lost in them ends, because asking for directions would require some serious communication skills :upside:

I can pronounce it, the town isn't that far away from me. It's actually not very difficult if you know the Welsh alphabet, though that does include 'ch', 'dd', 'ff', 'ng', 'll', 'ph', 'rh', 'th' as individual letters! :p

Edit: Little secret; most people round here just call it Llanfair PG!

Edited by .Taffy

I speak German (native language) and fluent Portuguese (including "street slang", as I lived there for 8,5 years.) It's basically my second native language because we moved there when I was a kid. And kids learn languages much better and faster than adults.

Allthough I learned English in school, it only developed by (believe it or not) being involved with Arma. :D As a member of AToW I was "forced" to speak 4 hours every week (battle days) and was very active in the forums. :)

Oh, and I speak Latin - but only one word: Arma ;)

Ok, ok, bad joke, but the knowledge of Portuguese is very useful to recognize words in Latin or any other latin language.

I would like to learn Swedish, Norwegian or Finnish. Czech would be cool too!

tell them you said "your eyes are lovely" when really what you said "i like cake"

LOOOOOOOL! For some reason I imagined a Jamaican man saying this in the Jamaican accent ("Eye like cake") to a woman in a restaurant and it cracked me up lol.gif

Gonna try this on some girl, it sounds pretty sweet, funny and dumb at the same time biggrin.gif

Polish (since I am one :P) English and Japanese that I study for nearly two years :P

Wshok.gifW, you'll be the only Slav that can speak Japanese biggrin.gif Job for the rest of your life will be sorted out.

Llanfair PG!

I definitely need to remember that, for any case.

Edited by -Martin-

I wannah learn Dutch :D

I know, what?

Some German (will improve, shei*trau*! *shakes fist*)

Some Russian (hell it's easy, I understand half the stuff, I speak half the stuff, nobody ever taught me, but the media (I mean like Russian movies and shows, reading the subs))

Lithuanian (native language, trying to forget it)

(rather obviously) English.

I knew some French, but I forgot, never learnt it proper anyway. It's impossible for me.

I remember taking exactly two French lessons before the school cancelled them. Too bad, I enjoyed them, as well :p

LOOOOOOOL! For some reason I imagined a Jamaican man saying this in the Jamaican accent ("Eye like cake") to a woman in a restaurant and it cracked me up

Gonna try this on some girl, it sounds pretty sweet, funny and dumb at the same time http://kolobok.us/smiles/icq/biggrin.gif

this ad sums it up lol

what he really said is

"can i go to the toilet?

and a red dog, i like cake

and Sharon Ní Bheoláin (News presenter)

my jumper, clouds in the sky

give me some cake"

after the girl asks for more, "quite road milk girl"

Wow, interesting read!

My mother tongue is Hungarian, I also speak English (fluently, although I have some grammar issues when I'm tired or when I wake up and talk to someone -obviously in English), I am still in the learning process in German, I understand and speak Romanian, I want to learn Spanish, French and Italian.

If you guys want to have a challenge, start learning in Hungarian! :P

I know some Indo Bahasa and tiny bits of Farsi but that's about it in total.

I want to learn to speak both of the above to a fluent level at some stage soon.

i know Eng. and Russ., but i would like to know German, mostly because of Rammstein proper spelling when i sing myself ;) i would also like to know Hungarian, cause it is such strange for me and it sounds such unusually that i would be great to know it , (probably Suomi is also such language)

German would be the best to know for any travel or job opportunities

Hmm I always wondered if it's actually easier for a Hungarian to learn Finnish and in reverse? Both languges belong to the same languge group - Finno Ugric hmm...

Hmm I always wondered if it's actually easier for a Hungarian to learn Finnish and in reverse? Both languges belong to the same languge group - Finno Ugric hmm...

Really? Someone told me that hungarian belonged to the same group as mongolian or was influenced by the mogolian language.

Well hungarian does sound very strange to me, it isn´t similiar to slawic, germanian or romanian languages

Their grammars have similarities but vocabulary-wise they couldn't be farther apart. Estonian on the other hand is quite close to Finnish and it's not too hard to learn the other language, although there are some comedic shifts of tone or meaning for synonomous or homonymous words. For example, the Estonian word for mold means government in Finnish, and generally Estonians think that Finnish sounds archaic (according to some sources) whereas Finns consider Estonian to be full of far-out and funny euphemisms.

Edited by Celery

Their grammars have similarities but vocabulary-wise they couldn't be farther apart. Estonian on the other hand is quite close to Finnish and it's not too hard to learn the other language, although there are some comedic shifts of tone or meaning for synonomous or homonymous words. For example, the Estonian word for mold means government in Finnish, and generally Estonians think that Finnish sounds archaic (according to some sources) whereas Finns consider Estonian to be full of far-out and funny euphemisms.

Hahahaha. This reminds me of Polish and Slovakian translations.

Zachod (fon. Zahood) in Polish means West (yes, yes that glorious West).The same word 'Zachod' functions in Slovakian and it means - shitter :D

Actual for for West in Slovakian is - Zapad. In Polish 'zapad' has connotations with downfall or decay :D