Sign in to follow this  
GRS

What languages do you know or want to know.

Hope this isn't too OT. Didn't see another thread for this either.

We have a pretty spread out community here and the political battleground threads are getting old. What languages do you all know, want to learn, or are currently learning?

I only speak English (obviously) fluently, but I'm slowly learning Russian. I had Spanish in school years ago but don't remember a word of it and was never that interested. After Russian, I want to try Czech, thanks in no small part to OFP and my favorite handgun being the famous CZ75. Unfortunately I'm done with university education soon (but not soon enough) so I'll be lone-wolfing Russian and god only knows how I'll learn Czech. Any tips from you multilingual people out there?

Go!

Privet!

I am slowly learning Russian too.... very slowly. I have 1-5 on the ball.

One - OdIn

first - Pervuj

ready in voice - Pervuj

two - dvA

second - Vtoroj

three - Tri

third - Tretij

Four - chetUre

fourth - Chetvertoj

Five - pJat'

fifth - Pjatuj

Six - Shest'

Seven - Sem' (Semi)

Eight - Vosem'

Nine - Devjat'

Ten - DesjAt'

How to say good morning and good evening - Dobroe Utro and Dobruj vecher

good bye - PokA

Good - HOrosho

Ok - Ok :D

Thank you - SpasibO

I am - Ja (y-AA)

You - tU

Edited by Rye

Croatian (+all the other ex YU languages that are basically the same)

German

English

French

Spanish

I would like to learn russian someday

Speaking German (Mothertongue)

Fluently English and Italian.

cheers

p.s. Might be time to learn Chinese. LOL ;)

Edited by nettrucker
typo.

Finnish, some Swedish and German, and bits of Spanish, Dutch, Japanese and Czech, and currently I'm trying to learn Czech. I already got confused a couple of times by the word "ano" which is "yes" in Czech but I'm used to the meaning of "uh..." in Japanese. The pronunciation is quite easy.

Well, swiss german is my native language, therefor german would be my first "foreign" language. Besides this i speak english (obviously) and french, a very little italian and one (and probably the most important) sentence in spanish: "una cerveza, por favor". :D

Finnish, some Swedish and German, and bits of Spanish, Dutch, Japanese and Czech, and currently I'm trying to learn Czech. I already got confused a couple of times by the word "ano" which is "yes" in Czech but I'm used to the meaning of "uh..." in Japanese. The pronunciation is quite easy.

Yep, i guess we all learnt Czech here by trying to figure out what p3d selections mean. Hlava, bricho, hrudnik and stehno FTW :cool:

My mother language is Ruby, I speak other dialects of Ruby, but also speak some other languages fluently like C# and Java, some CoffeeScript(modern Javascript)... Oh wait... :D

*Dutch

*English

*French (not that good at grammar, but I know a lot of words, so understanding and speaking to people is quite easy for me)

I also know a little bit of German.

Want to learn: Russian and expand my knowledge of German.

English, French, Spanish (South American dialect too).

A little Italian, Portuguese, German, Greek, Shona and Zulu.

Languages? :butbut: That’s my passion, even more then addon making, or anything else.

I can speak (fluently): English, Czech, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian.

I can understand, without any major problems (and they can understand me if I speak one of the languages above): Belorussian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Slovak...

Slavs FTW! :cheers:

Languages that I would like to learn to speak fluently? :j: Would definitely have to be Bulgarian. :smile:

Any tips from you multilingual people out there?

For a person that only knows English (I’m not trying to discourage you or anything, but I have to let you know) I would say the following:

Russian, try... But it's going to be VERY HARD, there are things in Slavic languages that just don’t exist in English and you will have a hard time getting your mind around them. E.g. Male/Female/Neutral words. You will also have to learn Cyrillic, which shouldn’t be a problem tough, in my view its way easier than Latin.

Czech, pretty much forget about it (Although if you learn Russian well, you will know basically most of what there is to know in Czech, but you will have to learn some new words, and a special letter. Constructing sentences is also a tiny bit different in Western Slavic languages then in the Eastern ones). It’s the hardest Slavic language that even other Slavs have a hard time getting their mind around, not to mention the long letters, and the famous letter Ř.

Edited by -Martin-

Male/Female/Neutral words.

This is the same with Arabic. It takes some getting used to. You're best off sitting one to one with somebody and just repeating every word.. one's you know in English, and their definition.

LOL

@Celery: In spanish that word "ano" means that infamous little orifice at the end of your back hahahaha y no es chiste perrín!!!!

and the famous letter Ř.

It is my personal nemesis....

Russian, try... But it's going to be VERY HARD, there are things in Slavic languages that just don’t exist in English and you will have a hard time getting your mind around them. E.g. Male/Female/Neutral words. You will also have to learn Cyrillic, which shouldn’t be a problem tough, in my view its way easier than Latin.

Czech, pretty much forget about it (Although if you learn Russian well, you will know basically most of what there is to know in Czech, but you will have to learn some new words, and a special letter. Constructing sentences is also a tiny bit different in Western Slavic languages then in the Eastern ones). It’s the hardest Slavic language that even other Slavs have a hard time getting their mind around, not to mention the long letters, and the famous letter Ř.

Well, the good thing is that I actually understand the Russian gender stuff very well and most of the cases as well. I have the strange ability of being able to pronounce words that other English only speakers find hard, it's using them in conversation that I struggle with most. I'm definitely still learning though. I usually spend one to two hours a night studying Russian and my teachers are very good at what they do.

Edited by GRS

Bulgarian

English

German (Deutsch) (Not much...) Want to expand my knowledge for this language, but in this moment - I don't have time.

Want to know: more slavic languages - Russian, Serbian and etc. Yes, they are similar to Bulgarian but... not too much. I don't talk about to understand me, because they are very similar in this attitude, but in grammar and etc.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Languages? :butbut: That’s my passion, even more then addon making, or anything else.

I can speak (fluently): English, Czech, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian.

I can understand, without any major problems (and they can understand me if I speak one of the languages above): Belorussian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Slovak...

Slavs FTW! :cheers:

Languages that I would like to learn to speak fluently? :j: Would definitely have to be Bulgarian. :smile:

For a person that only knows English (I’m not trying to discourage you or anything, but I have to let you know) I would say the following:

Поздрави от БългариÑ! Хаха. :)

П.С. ЧувÑтвам Ñе полаÑкан, че Ñи избрал Ð¼Ð¾Ñ Ñ€Ð¾Ð´ÐµÐ½ език. Знай, че вÑички езици от този регион Ñа трудни, дори аз, вÑе още не Ð²Ð»Ð°Ð´ÐµÑ ÐµÐ·Ð¸ÐºÐ° Ñи на перфектно ниво, а Ñъм на 18 и го уча от близо 14 години.

Edited by Antrix

I speak English and Welsh fluently and I hope to learn Italian. Would like to have basic conversational stuff down before my cousin's wedding in Italy this August.

I'm fluent in Polish as well as English, both of which I use on a daily basis. I'm somewhat communicative in Spanish though I haven't used it in a while.

I can also understand some things in Czech/Slovak as well as Russian and German, though I have no education in those languages. I'd love to learn both German and Russian sometime.

I can speak english and quite a bit of french. I know two words in Czech which are ahoj and how are you in Czech but I can not spell it :(.

My native language is Norwegian, so Swedish and Danish is quite easy to understand. I know English, of course. Though it's probably more US English then proper UK English.

I understand partially Dutch, but it depends on the dialect. I've given up on speaking it myself because of certain things, like the 'G'. But I guess I can always learn Flemish. :p

I know some German and weirdly enough Faroese (written form) thanks to mutual intelligibility. Aside from all that, it's a few words/phrases here and there. Arabic, Chinese, Czech, French, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, etc.

It would be nice to learn German, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese. I simply don't have the patients to complete it :confused_o:

Edited by colossus

I would like to gain the knowledge of understanding the language that human females use.

I can understand the spoken word but I'am unable to understand the message hidden in beetween it.

Поздрави от БългариÑ! Хаха. :)

П.С. ЧувÑтвам Ñе полаÑкан, че Ñи избрал Ð¼Ð¾Ñ Ñ€Ð¾Ð´ÐµÐ½ език. Знай, че вÑички езици от този регион Ñа трудни, дори аз, вÑе още не Ð²Ð»Ð°Ð´ÐµÑ ÐµÐ·Ð¸ÐºÐ° Ñи на перфектно ниво, а Ñъм на 18 и го уча от близо 14 години.

Поздрави от Чешки! :cheers:

И аз бъдем полаÑкан да Ñе научим говорит на БългарÑки. Сега мога Ñамо да разбирам Ð²Ð°Ñ Ð¸ вашите пеÑни, но не знам как пиÑати или говорити правилно. Знам че БалканÑките езици Ñа трудни но повÑрви ми, други СлавÑнÑки езици като например Чешки Ñа дори още трудни. :nervous:

Anyway, back to English now since we broke the forum rules a little bit :whistle:

If you think Czech or Russian is hard, look at this Welsh town name: :biggrin:

uk271.jpg

God damn, and they can say it so quickly as well lol.

I would not like to get lost in them ends, because asking for directions would require some serious communication skills :upside:

Edited by -Martin-