Sign in to follow this  
fromz

Fromz ArmA Linker: GPS edition - Link to the real world

This is Fromz ArmA Linker for Bohemia Interactive military games ArmA 2:Operation Arrowhead, ArmA 2: Reinforcements and Arma 2: Combined Operations (Doesn't support vanilla ArmA II)

At present, the program is still in the concept design phase, so in order to introduce the application functions, I released a simple edition today, Fromz ArmA Linker: GPS.

falgps_splash.jpg

Update Version 1.0.1 Beta:

Application will give you update download link automaticly if you have the Ver 1.0 Beta already)

> Changed the working files' directory to be more open and more stable.

> Still need to add parameters in ArmA II launcher or shortcut. -mod=@fromz\falgps

> No need follow the apps open order like Version 1.00 required, you can run arma2oa.exe or falgps.exe first as you wish.

Main functions of the GPS edition:

1. In Send Mode (TX), this will get and analyse the game data of a PC running ArmA II, and send the analyzed data out of ArmA II's world, and display the data in a simulated GPS interface. The whole process is real-time (With a max frequency of 2hz).

This data includes:

The current player's name/ID

The current player's coordinates, 4 to 10 bits of grid format, readable.

The current player's speed, accurate to 0.1 km/h

The current player's vertical height, accurate to 1m

The current player's sea level elevation, accurate to 1m

The current player's toward direction, accurate to 0.1 °

The current ArmA2 world time, format YY-MM-DD and HH-MM

The current player's vehicle type (Can check in or out of what kind of vehicle)

2. In TX mode, this will transmit the data in real-time to any custom defined online device (PC only at the moment) which is running Fromz ArmA Linker in Receiving Mode (RX). If this computer is running in RX, there is no need to install ArmA II at all.

3. In RX mode, this will receive the data from a remote computer and display it on the interface in real-time.

4. The receiving device will allow you to use the GPS to assist navigation. The GPS will give you the right direction to your destination, distance from destination, and in your current moving speed, and the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival).

5. An IP detector will detect the other side's network state (Ping, TX detection of RX one, and RX detection of TX one)

6. This will display the current ArmA II program state, and automatically judge your ArmA II version. This application needs ArmA II OA/RFT/CO 1.6 official version, or it may not be able to run.

7. This will automatically identify both Chinese and English interface and allow manual switching The application is able to automatically detect updates.

Install:

Download, Unpack (Copy the whole @fromz folder into your ArmA II directory, falgps.exe can run standalone), and add

-mod=@fromz\falgps to your path. Operate steps:

1. Start this application, if running with ArmA II, choose TX, if not, choose (RX)

2. Run this application first, then start ArmA II.

3. If you get in any mission or mission editor as a player, this application should be working. (With TX)

4. If you only have one PC and no need send to another, just forget receiving mode.

5. If you want to send the data to your UMPC or something like that, then run this application in RX on your UMPC. and set the IP of UMPC in your TX PC.

6. At this point, your ArmA II should be running with send mode GPS, showing data, and transmitting to the receiving mode device at the same time.

7. Right now you can use either device to set destinations, Just press F1 to add a new destination coordinate.

Typical steps:

1. Open the GPS application on computer 1.

2. Press TX.

3. Run ArmA II on computer 1.

4. Start a mission.

5. The "GPS" on computer 1 should be working under TX.

6. Keep ArmA II and TX online.

7. Press LINK DTCS to set the IP of computer 2.

8. Press F1/MARK to confirm.

7. Open another "GPS" on computer 2.

8. Press RX on computer 2.

9. Both "GPS"'s should be working.

10. Press F2/MAIN in either GPS to go back to the main menu.

11. Press F1/MARK to add a waypoint.

12. The GPS should guide you.

Special note:

Windows 7 users need administrator rights to run this application the first time (In order to registration), or you will have an error. After that, you don't have to use administrator privileges.

A few antivirus softwares may report the program as as a Trojan, just stop this application, or add it to the trust list. due to the fact that th application has been compressed. And if you don't want this, wait for update release, it should no virus report anymore.

The application on the PC running ArmA II needs to be in TX. An application on a PC running ArmA II should never be in RX

The program was designed and developed by Fromz individually, using a Freeware License. Use this software at your own risk.

The program needs a workable network. Modifying, decompiling without permission, and commercial and military use is prohibited.

Download:

Go to my Website or Direct Download

BTW:

Beta WIP work, Forgive for the bugs and my English.

Cheers

fromz

Edited by fromz

Neat idea, but can I ask what the purpose is? Is it to send in game GPS data to a device in the real world? What is the function intended for and how is it to be used for ArmA2 o.O I'm sorry for asking such questions, I'm nosy as how it works other then how it connects to a device o:

Neat idea, but can I ask what the purpose is? Is it to send in game GPS data to a device in the real world? What is the function intended for and how is it to be used for ArmA2 o.O I'm sorry for asking such questions, I'm nosy as how it works other then how it connects to a device o:

Yeah, I admit I am in the same "boat" here. It all sounds very interesting and all, but--maybe it's just me?--but it went a bit over my head and I really don't get the exact purpose of this is? Can anyone explain it a bit more in laymen's terms, please? :)

erm...

it takes data from game and send it in realtime to real world GPS ????

No more GPS on screen but a real one next to you ????

Will I be able to use one of my GPS smartphone apps???

erm... I think i need a Garmin... :P

erm...

it takes data from game and send it in realtime to real world GPS ????

No more GPS on screen but a real one next to you ????

Will I be able to use one of my GPS smartphone apps???

erm... I think i need a Garmin... :P

Oh sweet, I can then maybe send it to my father's TomTom and have Jean Luke Picard tell me how the hell to get to the next objective in Takistan since apparently I made a wrong turn and ended up on Sahrani by the looks of it. :O

This application can help you approach to the destination efficient without in-game GPS in all missions, and provide additional navigation capabilities. This application is also a demo to show the Fromz ArmA Linker functions: Link data out of ArmA2 world and may put data into ArmA2 world in future.

I'm not familiar with the smartphone applications development at present , may learn it someday. if possible I still want let ArmA2 contact with smartphone instead another PC.

We can imagine more purposes: Such as Fromz ArmA Linker: VTS, Real-time situation map, AAR(Save game running data to file and replay).or Link ArmA2 with other game, i.e. Lock on. That means may ArmA2 multiplayer can link online to Lock on/ArmA1/TOH multiplayer in "same custom terrain" or "divergent focus battlefield".

Of course, These are just only feasible in technology, has not been actual test. I'll working on that with our expected direction.

Edited by fromz

Uhh, is there a list of compatable devices or something?

Might want to consider changing the text colour on your website, yellow on white is pretty tough to read without highlighing it :)

Edited by Scarecrow398

.. more purposes: Such as Fromz ArmA Linker: VTS, Real-time situation map, AAR(Save game running data to file and replay).or Link ArmA2 with other game, i.e. Lock on. That means may ArmA2 multiplayer can link online to Lock on/ArmA1/TOH multiplayer in "same custom terrain" or "divergent focus battlefield".

Of course, These are just only feasible in technology, has not been actual test. I'll working on that with our expected direction.

I smell "Rev@lution"

:cool:

A new file appears to be created when running this program underneath of my expansion\addons folder. "modules_e...pbo"

When I attempt to browse to this folder on my hard drive while the program is running, the explorer window is closed intentionally on each time the folder is attempted to be accessed by normal user interaction. Is this behavior intended? If so, is there a reason the window is actively closing explorer windows to this directory while the program is running?

The reason I ask, is when running this addon I am unable to connect to my own signed server, and when the program is closed, the pbo in question is removed, thus making it something that I can not sign, to either support for myself or my userbase.

Like Impulse9 here has revealed, if you run this program the way that its built will prevent you from playing online on any secured server. Since this application adds files to the vanilla folders which never EVER should be touched (added, deleted or edited) you will no longer be allowed to play online on BE and/or sigcheck enabled servers. The proper way of adding this program is to make the files appear inside a modfolder, having them signed so that server administrators can enable the mod and run the game then with the mod enabled using the -mod= parameter. Plus there really is no real reason to do it the way its been done here other than trying to make the adding the .pbo's more transparent which end up hurting the user.

I like the idea of this addon, but the way that it has been implemented is just completely wrong. Even more so trying to hide a .sqf script as ijl15.dll and making the software close windows explorer when trying to browse the files is just plain wrong man.

What the Finnish chap said.

It's a shame the author choose (or was forced) to use methods like this to achieve what could potentially be a very important development for the game. Messing with files like this is only going to appear suspicious.

Nice initiative Fromz, especially like the GPS interactivity :)

'Arma linkers' however have been around for a long time, starting with FWatch for OFP, and ArmaLib for ARMA-1, and JayArma2Lib for ARMA-2, afaik these mostly worked by injecting dll,

not the clipBoard - which is a very crude option especially if you want to process a lot of data, reliably, at high speed. (For one, the user can copy/paste and find his data is gone etc).

There are also solutions that parse the RPT file which could be better than clipboard, but still I think dll is preferred.

Recently BI added the callExtension interface to ARMA-2 OA, so that you can write official dll extensions.

Interested to hear why you made a custom implementation based on clipBoard, and did not use existing tech like JayArma2Lib or the new callExtension interface?

Edited by Sickboy

The process way of version 1.0 beta is not very appropriate and stable. and sorry for doubts.

.dll and .pbo are just from inside files decompression, lacking manner of working.

I packed them into exe file and want no need use -mod parameters, forget about server signatures key verify.

I'll update the process way tonight, some thing like odd .pbo and .dll will not cerate and used any more.

a "@fromz\falgps" folder will used instead and you have to add parameters manually. and also, key files is added.

App will prompt you download update.

Thanks for the remind, Sickboy and Dwarden,

I'm just an artist befor and just have a smattering knowledge of programming, So I'll try them soon.

Update Version 1.0.1 Beta:

(Application will give you update download link automaticly if you have the Ver 1.0 Beta already)

> Change the working files' directory, more open and more stable

> Have to add parameters in arma2 launcher or shortcut -mod=@fromz\falgps

> No need follow apps open order as Version 1.0.0 required, you can run arma2oa.exe or falgps.exe first like free rein

Edited by fromz

I'm sorry, my friend, but you're English is illegible. After carefully scrutinizing the ArmAholic page, I've been able to figure out that this will transmit you're in-game location data to any other device running ArmA Link (at the moment, only PC's). This is for everyone like me that had trouble figuring out exactly what the hell this program did. I'd suggest configuring this to fool a Polaris Guide into showing you're in-game data, allowing you to use all of the DAGR functions very realistically.

I'm sorry, my friend, but you're English is illegible. After carefully scrutinizing the ArmAholic page, I've been able to figure out that this will transmit you're in-game location data to any other device running ArmA Link (at the moment, only PC's). This is for everyone like me that had trouble figuring out exactly what the hell this program did. I'd suggest configuring this to fool a Polaris Guide into showing you're in-game data, allowing you to use all of the DAGR functions very realistically.

Not being funny mate but what's the problem with Fromz's English?

He posts in a reasonable fashion with a clearly worded and well laid out structure. Maybe his use of English isn't what you are used to, but it is an additional language for him.

Rather then scolding him for the (supposed) lack of information, you should ask him directly what this mod does.

By the way; if you're going to rate people on their command of English, you might want to look at your usage of your/you're ;)

Edited by Das Attorney

Right...could I try and run with this confusing concept, to a possible interesting application? (I gather there would be some limitations at this point, but in theory, would this crazzzzy project work?)

Say I had your GPS thing installed and Arma 2 running. I'm driving a tank, and tracking its position.

I have somehow set up an Arduino board connected to a hobby RC transmitter controlling a Tamiya remote controlled tank. SEE WHERE I'M GOING? Basically, can I drive a tank around the landscape in Arma, and the information can be sent out of the game to control something else in real time? Obviously this would not work with just the coordinates of the player, but if you could access all movement information from an in-game object, such as acceleration, direction etc, then in theory you could be controlling a tank in the real world!??

I've been reading too many Arduino projects...

Uhh, is this only for 1.60, i get the error "Send mode Invalid - Need Arma2 OA Version 1.60", any chance of a update to 1.62?

Uhh, is this only for 1.60, i get the error "Send mode Invalid - Need Arma2 OA Version 1.60", any chance of a update to 1.62?

I tired it for the first time today, got the same error :-(