Sign in to follow this  
Sleep

Steam workshop using the same mods download method as Skyrim

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/

Seems to me it could work without any extra work being done on the game. Get steam setup for it with putting the mods in the right place once you subscribe, installing them, and steam will auto start your game with that mod. This could be a simple workaround for the lack of a simple way to download mods for 70% of the other people who own this game, and with all the mods arma has it could be a good showcase on how much work is being done on this game on a daily basis. It would allow groups to put up packs also, either choosing all the different mods or making their own 6gb or more packs (thats what ours is currently).

i have no problems using steam version with mod. Shortcut or via expansion through the game.
Then this wont be for you. The point is to draw in those who dont browse this forum or dont know how to use mods in anyway.

I love the way steam workshop works for skyrim, however personally I prefer the current forums and theyre layouts, rules etc, stops a lot of hassle is easy to use and is not open to exploitation, still in respects of the steam workshop it could be a good additional platform to get new players into the game or old ones to return again.

i have no problems using steam version with mod. Shortcut or via expansion through the game.

I do have problems with it. I can't get it to work, and have never used mods for any game before except Skyrim. I've got them to show up in my expansions for OA, but in combined ops their not there, and I really don't even know if they are suppose to show up there. There are no decent tutorials out there at all to explain how to do it, and if they do they don't actually show you how, because they have already added them, and they just jump around trying to explain something instead of actually showing you how to do it. When you do ask someone they give you an answer that I have no idea what they are talking about. Just take thos file here and copy this and change this script. That means absolutely nothing to me. I ahve no idea what they are talking about and need to be told like I'm a 90 year old man who has never seen a computer before. For people who have never done any kinds of modding or not worked on software at all, the current method is awful and very frustrating. I have though downloaded all kinds of mods for Skyrim and it's great. All games should follow that example and make it so you don't have to search to the end of the internet, to figure out how to install a mod so you can play online with people.

@bevo - have you tried Six Updater? It does all the hard work of managing mods for you and wraps it up in a nice gui. No command line editing, no shortcuts, just a GUI. It will detect the type of install you have - all you have to do is install it. Sickboy gives great support for it too.

I did finally get 6 updater and it works great. It's a great piece of software for us who have no idea how to do edit anything. I'm still working on getting ACRE to work with teamspeak, but I've got some people in that thread helping me out. Now once I get everything working I'll just have to figure out all the shortcuts and what's going on in the game. Once I get everything running well I'm going to start looking for a group to play with. I'm really not all that interested in coop, but it looks like that's about all anyone plays now.